Love the 7R but selling it - some pics

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
5 months ago

Hi,

I just got back from a trip in Dublin and these are just some random pics straight out of camera (A7R updated firmware).

I'm admittedly a gear head that happens to like taking even average pictures rather than a photographer which may have been able to take great pictures from any cameras made in recent memory.

For people interested in gear, if you want high details of the pictures and high ISO, there's nothing out there in the mirrorless arena of the budget that comes close, and if I'm walking around at night, I'd only take the A7R otherwise I won't bother and just use the iPhone for casual shots.     Other cameras with fast lens or IS can take good pictures but the realism and details are not good enough in my opinion.

For the negatives and why I'm selling, one is that the shutter is very loud, camera is perfect for night shots but it's too loud and seems louder at night for obvious reasons.    Secondly, there's no minimum shutter settings in Auto ISO,  I know there's many workarounds, I just used S setting stuck at 1/100 and auto ISO, but it's not a good enough solution.    Lastly for me is the focus speed, with A6000 and X-T1 and Olympus' capturing everything more confidently, this has got to get better.

But all that said, A7R gives me the most realism photos I've ever seen, so I'll definitely be back in the next hardware update.   Exciting times.

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

Nice shots. I agree with many of your sentiments. Ever considered an RX1?

 martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to martindesu, 5 months ago

Thank you, I had the RX1 before, it's admitted quieter but similar slow AF and lack of built in EVF was why I moved up to the A7/R.

Will surely be interested in what comes next on these two series.

martindesu wrote:

Nice shots. I agree with many of your sentiments. Ever considered an RX1?

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
macautio
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

You don't need shutter speed adjust for auto ISO,. Use manual mode when you use auto ISO.

You can change shutter speed, aperture, exposure composition in straight to dials.

It is best way to use auto ISO.

-- hide signature --

markku

 macautio's gear list:macautio's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

so buy the rx100ii. it is small silent and great at night and and you can still print A3 or super B.
fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to macautio, 5 months ago

macautio wrote:

You don't need shutter speed adjust for auto ISO,. Use manual mode when you use auto ISO.

You can change shutter speed, aperture, exposure composition in straight to dials.

It is best way to use auto ISO.

-- hide signature --

markku

+1, although I guess you meant 'Exposure Compensation' instead of 'exposure composition'...

For the OP - I understand your reasoning, but aren't you going to miss the IQ of the A7R, after?

Just saying...

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
macautio
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to NumberOne, 5 months ago

sorry, english is not my mother language.

-- hide signature --

markku

 macautio's gear list:macautio's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to NumberOne, 5 months ago

Definitely will miss the IQ, but for now busy testing some other gears.  Hopefully a replacement will be in a few months.

NumberOne wrote:

For the OP - I understand your reasoning, but aren't you going to miss the IQ of the A7R, after?

Just saying...

Best regards,
Pedro

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

At 2pm we will find out if the a7s means speed (AF like a6000) and if so I will sell the a7r for it.

Just like you, I think the AF is a tad slow.

 Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 RX100 III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to Kiichiro, 5 months ago

Yes that will be interesting, however the rumoured 12mpx makes me think that would be more of a A7 replacement or complementary to the A7R rather than a full hardware update.

Kiichiro wrote:

At 2pm we will find out if the a7s means speed (AF like a6000) and if so I will sell the a7r for it.

Just like you, I think the AF is a tad slow.

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

1/100 shutter will give you shutter shock.

 DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Euell
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

Honestly, these shots are pretty noisy and not particularly sharp.

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CameraGuru
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to Euell, 5 months ago

Personally don't understand why the shutter sound is such an issue, for me I love a loud camera click... other people notice, let them notice I am not shy ;)!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

zilver wrote:

Hi,

I just got back from a trip in Dublin and these are just some random pics straight out of camera (A7R updated firmware).

I'm admittedly a gear head that happens to like taking even average pictures rather than a photographer which may have been able to take great pictures from any cameras made in recent memory.

For people interested in gear, if you want high details of the pictures and high ISO, there's nothing out there in the mirrorless arena of the budget that comes close, and if I'm walking around at night, I'd only take the A7R otherwise I won't bother and just use the iPhone for casual shots. Other cameras with fast lens or IS can take good pictures but the realism and details are not good enough in my opinion.

For the negatives and why I'm selling, one is that the shutter is very loud, camera is perfect for night shots but it's too loud and seems louder at night for obvious reasons. Secondly, there's no minimum shutter settings in Auto ISO, I know there's many workarounds, I just used S setting stuck at 1/100 and auto ISO, but it's not a good enough solution. Lastly for me is the focus speed, with A6000 and X-T1 and Olympus' capturing everything more confidently, this has got to get better.

But all that said, A7R gives me the most realism photos I've ever seen, so I'll definitely be back in the next hardware update. Exciting times.

I prefer full frame. Less noise at high ISO means no tripod. RAW files are far more flexible and highlights and shadows are easier recovered and no banding. Not to mention the better dynamic range. But to each is own. Coming from some pretty old film cameras with loud shutters I don't mind. The a7 has a EFC and is a little less noisy. Olympus would be my last choice for night shooting.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to DonSantos, 5 months ago

DonSantos wrote:

1/100 shutter will give you shutter shock.

How do you know that? Do you have the A7r? I have it and have taken many shots above and below 1/100s, and not seen any evidence of shutter shock blurring my pictures.

 Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
designdog
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to Chrisd999, 5 months ago

No offense, but those shots do not impress me. First, I would ask what the objectives of the shots were, or was it just to demonstrate low light photography? The subject and composition were certainly not interesting.

Second, I would wonder about the lens. Lens choice is at least as important as camera choice for low light photography, or for any photography for that matter. Next I would question the post processing. Looks like poor ISO and noise reduction to me. Were these originally raw files?

In short, these images do not support the claim that the A7R is not well suited for low light, well thought it may be.

If quiet shutter, decent AF, and excellent low light capability is your goal, I would point you in the direction of a camera that I originally decried, but lately have been rethinking: the Nikon DF. Couple that with the Nikon 58mm 1.4 or the new Sigma 1.4 Art, and you would be closer to your goal...

 designdog's gear list:designdog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to cosmonaut, 5 months ago

yes fully agree, will be keeping A7 still.

But the IBIS of olympus does help with low light social shots in certain situation as well.

I prefer full frame. Less noise at high ISO means no tripod. RAW files are far more flexible and highlights and shadows are easier recovered and no banding. Not to mention the better dynamic range. But to each is own. Coming from some pretty old film cameras with loud shutters I don't mind. The a7 has a EFC and is a little less noisy. Olympus would be my last choice for night shooting.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to zilver, 5 months ago

OP wrote:

"if I'm walking around at night, I'd only take the A7R"

OK.

"otherwise I won't bother and just use the iPhone for casual shots."

Well, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

 David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Love the 7R but selling it - some pics
In reply to David Wyman, 5 months ago

My younger brother is a professional photographer, he only uses his Leica or otherwise won't bother and just use the iPhone when out and about for casual social shots.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

On the other hand, how is my equipment choice your concern and how is your reply useful to anyone?

Perhaps you feel others have little minds, but it's certainly more useful that your big, empty one.

David Wyman wrote:

OP wrote:

"if I'm walking around at night, I'd only take the A7R"

OK.

"otherwise I won't bother and just use the iPhone for casual shots."

Well, a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

 zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads