7D Auto ISO vs. fixed ISO?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
RGF
RGF
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
7D Auto ISO vs. fixed ISO?
6 months ago

Using auto ISO today (over cast and low light) all of my images out of focus.  looking at the info it showed the ISO at 3200.  I am using the 7D with a 100-400 L lens.  Really got no keepers.  I am having difficulty comprehending the ISO setting as some say they never use Auto - I guess now I see why?  Any suggestions on camera settings would be helpful.  I used M, AV, and TV modes.

Thanks,

RGF

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RGF
RGF
Like?
Re: 7D Auto ISO vs. fixed ISO?
In reply to RGF, 6 months ago

Also - this was for BIF photos and waterfowl resting on the water.

RGF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?

RGF wrote:

Using auto ISO today (over cast and low light) all of my images out of focus. looking at the info it showed the ISO at 3200. I am using the 7D with a 100-400 L lens. Really got no keepers. I am having difficulty comprehending the ISO setting as some say they never use Auto - I guess now I see why? Any suggestions on camera settings would be helpful. I used M, AV, and TV modes.

Thanks,

RGF

I have a 7D and 150-600 mm and Tamron 70-300 and shoot Shutter speeds between 2500-500 depending on light and use Auto ISO all the time. You'd be suprised at the low ISO I get at 2000 shutter speed Check out my zenfolio for thaen with 150-600 of Taken with 70-300. They should be on top row as all in both have been taken in last month and I'm pretty sure I used Auto ISO on all of them,

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
Lanidrac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
What BIF photos?

RGF wrote:

RGF

Are we supposed to use our imagination of the photos that you took?

If you had a clue about the 7D, which I doubt that you even used or should not be using, you'd know that you can set maximum Auto ISO ranges with the camera.

Lanidrac.

-- hide signature --
Lanidrac
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, 6 months ago

Don Richardson wrote:

RGF wrote:

Using auto ISO today (over cast and low light) all of my images out of focus. looking at the info it showed the ISO at 3200. I am using the 7D with a 100-400 L lens. Really got no keepers. I am having difficulty comprehending the ISO setting as some say they never use Auto - I guess now I see why? Any suggestions on camera settings would be helpful. I used M, AV, and TV modes.

Thanks,

RGF

I have a 7D and 150-600 mm and Tamron 70-300 and shoot Shutter speeds between 2500-500 depending on light and use Auto ISO all the time. You'd be suprised at the low ISO I get at 2000 shutter speed Check out my zenfolio for thaen with 150-600 of Taken with 70-300. They should be on top row as all in both have been taken in last month and I'm pretty sure I used Auto ISO on all of them,

-- hide signature --

Tell me that ain't so. You use auto-iso ALL the time??? Wow.

-- hide signature --
RGF
RGF
Like?
Re: What BIF photos?
In reply to Lanidrac, 6 months ago

Thanks for the "constructive criticism" - geez - do you really need a sample - when I say oof -  I meant it.  Yes I know the 7d have had it for a few years - unfortunately don't know everything about it - was merely seeking a little help!

RGF

RGF
RGF
Like?

Thanks Don

RGF

Lanidrac
Like?
Constructive

RGF wrote:

Thanks for the "constructive criticism" - geez - do you really need a sample - when I say oof - I meant it. Yes I know the 7d have had it for a few years - unfortunately don't know everything about it - was merely seeking a little help!

RGF

Try being specific then. We don't read minds. Maybe learn the gear you have or read the manual before posting too would be good??

-- hide signature --
RGF
RGF
Like?

RGF

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,263Gear list
Like?

RGF wrote:

Thanks,

RGF

Auto ISO is brilliant, when used in the right situations

I shoot lots of planes at air-shows, I am tracking these across the sky doing my best to keep them in the frame

I have to rely on the camera to make the exposure for me, I shoot TV with a shutter speed of 1/250 and auto ISO and anything from +1 to +2 EC as I am shooting against the sky. I use Auto ISO and it works excellently.

If you want to see results of using Auto ISO go to my Flickr site and look at the planes in the sky they were all Auto ISO 7D with 100-400 mostly.

Here's one:

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
PK62
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?

I've had the 7D for a couple of years and almost always use Auto ISO for birds.  I just adjust the exposure.  I've tried using different ISO settings and just seem to have better luck with Auto.   I do have the maximum set though.

-- hide signature --

Patti

PK62's gear list:PK62's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +4 more
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?

Lanidrac wrote:

RGF wrote:

RGF

If you had a clue about the 7D, which I doubt that you even used or should not be using, you'd know that you can set maximum Auto ISO ranges with the camera.

Lanidrac.

-- hide signature --

Is there anything wrong with politely asking rather than being obtuse?

-- hide signature --

C&C always welcomed.
Some of my piccies - http://www.flickr.com/photos/distinctly_average
A windsurfing website I built - http://www.windsurf.me.uk

Don Richardson
Like?

Lanidrac wrote:

Don Richardson wrote:

RGF wrote:

Thanks,

RGF

-- hide signature --

Tell me that ain't so. You use auto-iso ALL the time??? Wow.

-- hide signature --

I don't use it 100% of the time but I set Max. ISO at 1600 and probably use it 80% of the time and wouldn't you know I shoot birds 80% of the time also.. You should try it. On bright days I'll get 320-400 ISO at 2000 shutter speed with very little noise. I use AV and set ISO the other 20% but as light changes I forget to change ISO.

-- hide signature --
Don Richardson
Like?
Re: Constructive

Lanidrac wrote:

RGF wrote:

Thanks for the "constructive criticism" - geez - do you really need a sample - when I say oof - I meant it. Yes I know the 7d have had it for a few years - unfortunately don't know everything about it - was merely seeking a little help!

RGF

Try being specific then. We don't read minds. Maybe learn the gear you have or read the manual before posting too would be good??

-- hide signature --

Seems to me you're one of those that just likes to be rude. Try smiling.

-- hide signature --
Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?

AutoISO probably had nothing to do with it.

Kaso
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?
Re: Constructive

Don Richardson wrote:

Seems to me you're one of those that just likes to be rude. Try smiling.

Select the first option under that obnoxious post:

And block out the noise from now on.

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508Gear list
Like?

RGF wrote:

RGF

Lanidrac.

-- hide signature --

No need for the rude comment. If you don't want to help (nicely!), then don't click Reply.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
RGF
RGF
Like?
In reply to Abu Mahendra, 6 months ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help - really appreciate it.  I did set the max to ISO 1600 and will see how that goes.

RGF

jhendrix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340
Like?

RGF wrote:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help - really appreciate it. I did set the max to ISO 1600 and will see how that goes.

RGF

Could you share what other settings are being used? A, P, TV, single point AF, etc.

Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?

Rather than setting the max ISO, you should set the minimum shutter speed under AutoISO. Indeed setting the max ISO to 1600 might be the reason for the blurry pics for the camera will then select longer shutter speeds in order to expose correctly. You need to understand that AutoISO is an ISO-minimizing function. It will try to set the lowest shutter speed required for i. proper exposure and ii. satisfy the 1/FL criterion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads