Gary Fong

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Darren Lee
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Gary Fong
6 months ago

I just started hearing about Gary Fong. Any thoughts on him? Is he really a pioneer in photography?

-- hide signature --

AS-"First Love" shot with Sony CineAlta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmS3Qh_SFwU

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,148
Like?
Re: Gary Fong
In reply to Darren Lee, 6 months ago

Darren Lee wrote:

I just started hearing about Gary Fong. Any thoughts on him? Is he really a pioneer in photography?

-- hide signature --

If he were a pioneer in photography, he'd be about 200 years old. There is nothing wrong with being clever and good at self promotion however.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darren Lee
Like?
In reply to Glen Barrington, 6 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

Darren Lee wrote:

-- hide signature --

If he were a pioneer in photography, he'd be about 200 years old. There is nothing wrong with being clever and good at self promotion however.

-- hide signature --

I should've been more precise...is he really a pioneer in wedding photography?

-- hide signature --

Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?

He was a wedding photographer. He quit wedding photography when he found it didn't pay. He started selling filters for flashes and that's what made him a bunch of money.

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pantyhose Bandit, 6 months ago

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

He was a wedding photographer. He quit wedding photography when he found it didn't pay. He started selling filters for flashes and that's what made him a bunch of money.

He sells overpriced diffusers

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,727
Like?

Darren Lee wrote:

Not a pioneer, but a very successful photographer that focused a lot of his efforts on wedding photography. He's since moved on to other businesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Fong

He gets a lot of criticism for his "invention" of the Lightsphere flash diffuser and its variations. Regardless if the criticism is earned or not, it's stated he sold 400,000 of these by 2011.

http://photosecrets.com/turning-ideas-into-photo-products

The Wiki article has a number of external references if you're interested to read more.

Cheers,
Doug

Darren Lee
Like?
In reply to Doug J, 6 months ago

Doug J wrote:

Darren Lee wrote:

Not a pioneer, but a very successful photographer that focused a lot of his efforts on wedding photography. He's since moved on to other businesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Fong

He gets a lot of criticism for his "invention" of the Lightsphere flash diffuser and its variations. Regardless if the criticism is earned or not, it's stated he sold 400,000 of these by 2011.

http://photosecrets.com/turning-ideas-into-photo-products

The Wiki article has a number of external references if you're interested to read more.

Cheers,
Doug

i'll check it out..thanks

-- hide signature --

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?

I watched several tutorials from Gary Fong on youtube, hes very competent specially in light techniques.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Glen Barrington, 6 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

Darren Lee wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sort of like Ken Rockwell.   (ducks for cover now)  

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,966Gear list
Like?
In reply to pew pew, 6 months ago

Think he was once employed by Practical Photography magazine.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightsphere

When I started getting into event photography with my DSLR a few years back I saw someone with a Fong diffuser on their speedlight. It looked interesting and I considered getting one. The price put me off for a while and eventually I decided it was mostly a marketing thing, not necessarily a good photography thing. That's really all I know about Gary Fong.

The primary reason I'm not interested in the Lightsphere or the small softboxes I've seen advertised is that they don't place the light where it will do the most good, but throw it around in all directions and hope it hits something useful. IMHO that wastes a lot of the light. I like to use bounce flash, but I like the light to go to a specific area where it will diffuse back to the subject.

I built my own diffuser with a sheet of card stock and a rubber band and used that for a while but it wasn't the best thing and didn't really look too professional. Also tried the black foam thingy.

Eventually I saw a video on the Spinlight 360. I got one and I like it. It's not perfect, but I think it does a better job than the Fong thing. It basically gives you a way to direct light from your on-camera speedlight. It's easily adjustable. It will take gels if you use them. It attaches to pretty much any speedlight with a velcro strip.

One of the things that bugged me about my old SB800 was that the rotational limits were really limiting. If I wanted to use the camera in portrait orientation and bounce from the ceiling I could rotate the head to the right position. However, if I wanted to switch it around to landscape and bounce behind me I had to move the head all the way around to get it into the right position. The SB910 has a much better versatility for rotations like that. You still have to squeeze the locking button to get it to move from some positions but it goes where I want it now. The only problem I have is that in some positions where it's not really locked, the weight of the Spinlight attachment can cause it to move out of position if it's jiggled the wrong way.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
003tvd
Contributing MemberPosts: 810
Like?
In reply to dwight3, 6 months ago

I've seen him at a few trade shows, and he has boundless energy. He's always ready to talk accessories and how to use them. I think his forte has been identifying lighting problems, and "McGyvering" a solution from a plastic cup and duct tape, and then figuring out how to mass-produce and market the device. Good on him.

egk4260
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?

Darren Lee wrote:

I should've been more precise...is he really a pioneer in wedding photography?

Actually, he invented wedding photography. Most of us were unaware until Al Gore invented the internet.

egk4260's gear list:egk4260's gear list
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +2 more
bruxi
Like?

dwight3 wrote:

When I started getting into event photography with my DSLR a few years back I saw someone with a Fong diffuser on their speedlight. It looked interesting and I considered getting one. The price put me off for a while and eventually I decided it was mostly a marketing thing, not necessarily a good photography thing. That's really all I know about Gary Fong.

The primary reason I'm not interested in the Lightsphere or the small softboxes I've seen advertised is that they don't place the light where it will do the most good, but throw it around in all directions and hope it hits something useful. IMHO that wastes a lot of the light. I like to use bounce flash, but I like the light to go to a specific area where it will diffuse back to the subject.

I built my own diffuser with a sheet of card stock and a rubber band and used that for a while but it wasn't the best thing and didn't really look too professional. Also tried the black foam thingy.

Eventually I saw a video on the Spinlight 360. I got one and I like it. It's not perfect, but I think it does a better job than the Fong thing. It basically gives you a way to direct light from your on-camera speedlight. It's easily adjustable. It will take gels if you use them. It attaches to pretty much any speedlight with a velcro strip.

One of the things that bugged me about my old SB800 was that the rotational limits were really limiting. If I wanted to use the camera in portrait orientation and bounce from the ceiling I could rotate the head to the right position. However, if I wanted to switch it around to landscape and bounce behind me I had to move the head all the way around to get it into the right position. The SB910 has a much better versatility for rotations like that. You still have to squeeze the locking button to get it to move from some positions but it goes where I want it now. The only problem I have is that in some positions where it's not really locked, the weight of the Spinlight attachment can cause it to move out of position if it's jiggled the wrong way.

I bought a knock off Fong dome and it works well for me.  The effect of diffusing the light in all directions makes shadows very soft or non existent.  Anyway, it's the price that's ridiculous for me, but he's done well branding himself.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
Gary Fong's goal...

is to make every one around user of his product blind.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
bruxi
Like?
Re: Gary Fong's goal...
In reply to SushiEater, 6 months ago

SushiEater wrote:

True - it does blast everyone in the face with a flash unit that is usually set fairly high....

SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
Re: Gary Fong's goal...
In reply to bruxi, 6 months ago

bruxi wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

True - it does blast everyone in the face with a flash unit that is usually set fairly high....

It doesn't have to be set very high. If the person with the flash standing right next to you you will get blinded on the normal setting. I shoot on the red carpet and it happens to me all the time. Many times even gets in to my camera.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
In reply to bruxi, 6 months ago

bruxi wrote:

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

He sells overpriced diffusers that work real good.  

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
bruxi
Like?
In reply to gfspencer, 6 months ago

bruxi wrote:

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

He sells overpriced diffusers that work real good.  

I bought one for $85 and returned it. Bought a $13 copy on eBay that works even better.

ThaiM
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to bruxi, 3 months ago

I was skeptical with the expensive GF diffuser at first, but after seeing his video where he compares just about every single diffuser and reflectors on the market, I was sold. Now I never use my flash without it, it makes that much of a difference. Expensive, but so is everything else in photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads