Olympus EM10 Raw conversion for Lightroom

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
PaulF2
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Olympus EM10 Raw conversion for Lightroom
8 months ago

I have tried two methods to get EM10 raw files into Lightroom with surprisingly different results:

Workflow 1: .orf -> Adobe Bridge -> ACR 8.4beta -> .dng

Workflow 2: .orf ->Olympus Viewer -> .tiff

Workflow 2 matches the jpg out of the camera. The camera was set to iAUTO. Can anyone help me to understand why these render so differently (I'm thinking that it relates to "Picture Mode")?

Workflow 1: .orf -> Adobe Bridge -> ACR 8.4beta -> .dng

Workflow 2: .orf ->Olympus Viewer -> .tiff

PaulF2's gear list:PaulF2's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Banger
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus EM10 Raw conversion for Lightroom
In reply to PaulF2, 8 months ago

I use LR5.3 and OV3 with my E-M1 and E-P3, and whilst I find LR OK with E-P3 RAW files it really does not render the tones accurately with the E-M1 RAWs. I am somewhat disappointed with LR5.3, and as a result have recently upgraded my PC to Win 7 64bit & 8GB of RAM to make it run OV3 faster which has been very sucessful.

From my experience OV3 renders E-M1 RAW files much better than Adobe products, but now I'm back to processing E-M1 RAWs using two programs which I was hoping to avoid.

I think Adobe should spend more time on their RAW development software rather than advertising to convince us we should be using their cloud based software.

Rgds, Rob

(PS Note that some forum contributors have come up with extensive LR presets to better process E-M1 RAW files .......shouldn't be necessary if Adobe delivered a soundly researched software product.)

Banger's gear list:Banger's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

Everything here looks normal. The differences you see are due to different color profiles being used by Olympus and by Adobe, and different default settings. In some weeks Adobe will fully support the E-M10 and then there will be an option to use a "Camera Vivid" profile (in the Calibration box in LR), which will get you closer to the Olympus output. I assume that iAuto translates to the picture mode iEnhance, and that's pretty hard to reproduce by 3rd party converters. The Vivid/Normal/Portrait are easier, using the corresponding color profiles.

assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
PaulF2
Like?
In reply to Banger, 8 months ago

Thanks.  Yes, looks like OV3 for the best raw conversion for now.

Nikon D800E Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
PaulF2
Like?
In reply to assaft, 8 months ago

Thanks.  I look forward to Adobe supporting EM10 Raw in Lightroom.  As you say, the challenge then will be to emulate the "picture modes".

dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
OnOne Perfect effects

I couldn't install the Beta version of ACR so either convert the ORF to DNG using the latest Beta converter and use LR5 then export to   OnOne Perfect Effects which yield better results and have more options

You can download the trial and try it out

I further enhance via CS6 but for most people the results from OnOne should be good enough

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +7 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?
In reply to Banger, 8 months ago

Banger wrote:

I think Adobe should spend more time on their RAW development software rather than advertising to convince us we should be using their cloud based software.

neither LR nor PS CC/ACR are cloud based

Rgds, Rob

(PS Note that some forum contributors have come up with extensive LR presets to better process E-M1 RAW files .......shouldn't be necessary if Adobe delivered a soundly researched software product.)

it is, as it allows you to create whatever extensive presets you want according to your own taste... look the mere fact that you have no clue how to use the product does not mean that the product is bad, it simply means that your do not master it properly.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,395Gear list
Like?
The other option is to pretend the files are from E-M5

With the proper editor or script you can replace the E-M10 string by E-M5 in the RAW files or else replace E-M5 by E-M10 in the raw converter binary code.

The E-M5 and E-M10 appear to produce the same output. (The E-M1 has a different sensor and it seems it produces very different output.)

The differences you show could be due to the picture style, but could also be due to the color space. Are you sure you are generating sRGB and not AdobeRGB? When a picture is produced in AdobeRGB and viewed without color space info it looks dull like in your results.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,307Gear list
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 8 months ago

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Banger wrote:

neither LR nor PS CC/ACR are cloud based

Rgds, Rob

it is, as it allows you to create whatever extensive presets you want according to your own taste... look the mere fact that you have no clue how to use the product does not mean that the product is bad, it simply means that your do not master it properly.

Well, said. I have no problems with the rendering of E-M1 files. But some people seem to think that Lightroom should render any raw file perfectly even without editing. It is Adobe's clear policy to provide a rather "neutral" base as a start so that everybody can prepare its own style without being preoccupied. For better quick results Adobe provides different camera profiles anyway.

The worst are the cases, where people try to copy Olympus' JPEG engine to recreate the so called "Olympus colors". In my opinion, a futile approach, when shooting RAW. If someone wants Olympus colors, one should use JPEG.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,307Gear list
Like?
Re: The other option is to pretend the files are from E-M5
In reply to Paul De Bra, 8 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

With the proper editor or script you can replace the E-M10 string by E-M5 in the RAW files or else replace E-M5 by E-M10 in the raw converter binary code.

The E-M5 and E-M10 appear to produce the same output. (The E-M1 has a different sensor and it seems it produces very different output.)

The differences you show could be due to the picture style, but could also be due to the color space. Are you sure you are generating sRGB and not AdobeRGB? When a picture is produced in AdobeRGB and viewed without color space info it looks dull like in your results.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Why all this fuss? The E-M10 will be supported in a short while, that is to be expected. In the meanwhile, one can shoot RAW + JPEG. Or people should just not buy a camera, which is not yet supported by the RAW editor in use. I would not fuss around in my RAW files with a binary editor, just to have RAW support some weeks before it is officially released.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?

PaulF2 wrote:

Thanks. I look forward to Adobe supporting EM10 Raw in Lightroom. As you say, the challenge then will be to emulate the "picture modes".

Unfortunately, these emulations can be a hit or a miss. Some custom camera profiles provided by Lightroom can be very good (Canon 450D and 6D), and others can be completely off (Canon S100). Not having the expertise that Canon, Nikon and Olympus engineers do in crafting color and tone profiles, I find myself unable to use Lightroom for some of my cameras, e.g., the Canon S100. For the Olympus E-M1, the custom camera profiles provided by Adobe are not bad, but I find the colors and tonality provided by Olympus engineers better, which is unfortunate, as I prefer to work with Lightroom by far.

dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

The worst are the cases, where people try to copy Olympus' JPEG engine to recreate the so called "Olympus colors". In my opinion, a futile approach, when shooting RAW. If someone wants Olympus colors, one should use JPEG.

For me, the point isn't to copy "Olympus colors" or "Canon colors." But when the colors and the tonality of the final JPEG that you get out of Lightroom end up not being as nice as those of the out-of-camera JPEG files, even when you've used custom camera profiles provided by Adobe, then you end up disappointed. I really like using Lightroom, as I think it works very well functionally, but I can't use it for all of my cameras. If there is a solution to this issue that I'm not aware of, I'd love to learn about it, as I prefer to work with Lightroom if I can.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads