A FastStone Image Viewer replacement for a Mac

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483Gear list
Like?
A FastStone Image Viewer replacement for a Mac
8 months ago

XP is no longer supported after Tuesday at 6pm here, and I am shifting all my photography processing to my IMac. Presently I use FastStone Image Viewer For Windows which is a programme that I enjoy and use often.

What might be the Mac equivalent that deals well with GX7 files?

thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?
Re: A FastStone Image Viewer replacement for a Mac
In reply to FrankS009, 8 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

XP is no longer supported after Tuesday at 6pm here, and I am shifting all my photography processing to my IMac. Presently I use FastStone Image Viewer For Windows which is a programme that I enjoy and use often.

thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

iphoto, picasa, xnview are a few. Xnview is probably most similar.

take a look at alternativeto.net. Enter the name of an application that you want n alternative to and browse around.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,065Gear list
Like?

FrankS009 wrote:

Adobe Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro fully support the Panasonic GX7.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

What do you use FastStone for?

assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
FrankS009
Like?
In reply to assaft, 8 months ago

I have used FastStone to do a number of things on the Windows side. The first is as a kind of Windows Explorer for Photographs to review my catalogues. I can rely on SoftStone to view RAW files, and it is easy to turn them into JPGs if I might want to by simply cropping a little or performing some other minor transformation using  its tools. It also has links to other more sophisticated editing programmes for individual photographs, and can open those programmes with that particular image in them. It shows the data for each image as well. No doubt there are other functions it3 performs. FastStone viewer is a kind of photographic Swiss army knife.

F.

-- hide signature --

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to rsmithgi, 8 months ago

Thanks. I will do some exploring.

XNView is a Windows only programme, and won't work on a Mac which is what I need.

F.

-- hide signature --

ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?

FrankS009 wrote:

thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

FastStone version 5.1 is excellent image viewer and processor more importantly it's free, it works with Win 8 as well.

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 8 months ago

Thank you. So does Capture One. FastStone is not a sophisticated editing programme, but a way of sorting and manipulating images in an organizational way. It does not create catalogues, but lets you work with the catalogues you may have created yourself. My response to assaft gives more examples

F.

-- hide signature --

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to ttan98, 8 months ago

I agree, but it won't work on a Mac.

F.

-- hide signature --

Bob657
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?

You might look at Photo Mechanic for Mac

-- hide signature --

Bob G

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?

FrankS009 wrote:

Thanks. I will do some exploring.

XNView is a Windows only programme, and won't work on a Mac which is what I need.

there is XnViewMP for Mac and that is what I use...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
natal
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

XNViewMP runs on a Mac

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,805Gear list
Like?

FrankS009 wrote:

I’ve never heard of FastStone, since I've used Macs since 1985.

I use PhaseOne's Media Pro to make quick catalogues for review. It was originally iView Media Pro then languished for a few years when Microsoft acquired it and called it Expression Media. Thankfully they sold it to PhaseOne and it's useful again, that is, actually supported and getting updates.

Then I import to Lightroom 5.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?

FrankS009 wrote:

thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

Another option is Finder. It can display images and handles the raw files from my GX1 and G3.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Paul_R_H
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

If you download the latest DigitalCamera Raw Update from Apple, your Mac will read the RAW files natively, and turn them to jpegs with cropping and basic exposure and colour adjustments, using the built-in Preview application. Use the free iPhoto for cataloguing, or Aperture for cataloguing and practically everything else except distortion and perspective adjustments. But Aperture isn't cheap so maybe try DxO which does have those adjustments and is more modern.

Paul

FrankS009 wrote:

thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to Paul_R_H, 8 months ago

Appreciate all your suggestions.  Will work my way through them.

F.

-- hide signature --

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 8 months ago

This may be close to what I am looking for. Have a lot of working with it to do. Might look for Youtube instruction. Thanks

F

-- hide signature --

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 8 months ago

1985? Sounds like how long  I have been using my academic word processing programme - no not 'Word. The only problem is that is a Windows programme.

Downloaded MediaPro for a 60 day trial period. I have also downloaded Capture One 7 for the same time period. Would be interested if you tried Capture One and why you use Lightroom instead. I still have Lightroom 3 on the system, but as yet have not downloaded the Adobe converter for my GX7 files. In any case, there must be ways to catalogue and ways not to catalogue, with Media Pro and need to look at some tutorials.

Thanks for your suggestion.

F.

-- hide signature --

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 995Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul_R_H, 8 months ago

Paul_R_H wrote:

If you download the latest DigitalCamera Raw Update from Apple, your Mac will read the RAW files natively, and turn them to jpegs with cropping and basic exposure and colour adjustments, using the built-in Preview application. Use the free iPhoto for cataloguing, or Aperture for cataloguing and practically everything else except distortion and perspective adjustments. But Aperture isn't cheap so maybe try DxO which does have those adjustments and is more modern.

Paul

FrankS009 wrote:

thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

DxO is $169, Aperture is $79. If you want distortion correction, DxO ViewPoint can be used inside Aperture.

Anyway, I suggest starting with iPhoto and if you like that basic setup, upgrade to Aperture.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 8 months ago

Set up your photo library in iPhoto and send all your photos to aperture for editing, it works just like Adobe Bridge, except it's more powerful, then send your photos from there to Aperture. Done... There better programs and the sum total is $79 for aperture, iPhoto is free. They're both extremely simple to use, but Aperture is as powerful as Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

Follow me online at http://blog.roumelio.com

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads