New to this forum and have a question

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,540Gear list
Like?
New to this forum and have a question
4 months ago

Hi there. Just bought an EM1 set up coming from the 4/3 (E-30) and love the camera so far.

Question: since the camera is used, it still has V1.1 FW on it and I've heard that update to 1.3 does something bad to the AF, which I absolutely amazed at so far. I am still shooting with 4/3 glass and have no plans to get m4/3 due to financial reasons so the AF concern is very high on my mind.

I am sure this was discussed on this Forum many times but maybe some good soul wouldn't mind filling the newbee in the issues.

Thanks and looking forward to posting on this Forum.

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,023Gear list
Like?
Re: New to this forum and have a question
In reply to vadimraskin, 4 months ago

vadimraskin wrote:

Hi there. Just bought an EM1 set up coming from the 4/3 (E-30) and love the camera so far.

Question: since the camera is used, it still has V1.1 FW on it and I've heard that update to 1.3 does something bad to the AF, which I absolutely amazed at so far. I am still shooting with 4/3 glass and have no plans to get m4/3 due to financial reasons so the AF concern is very high on my mind.

I am sure this was discussed on this Forum many times but maybe some good soul wouldn't mind filling the newbee in the issues.

I am not sure what you are referring to with focus problems with the update?  What it does do is give you a way to eliminate shutter shock at susceptible shutter speeds, which is something that a lot of people have been waiting for.

Could you post some links to the focus complaints that you have come across that relate to firmware 1.3?

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,600Gear list
Like?
E-M1 and 4/3 lenses and latest firmware?

vadimraskin wrote:

Not an E-M1 user but I'll answer in order to bump and get more attention.....

So far I've only seen good words about the latest firmware update as it adds the ability to eliminate shutter shock at 1/320 and slower shutter speeds.

With luck an E-M1 plus 4/3 lens user may stroll along and see this thread, but a more appropriate subject line may have better caught their attention.

By the way, save for that 12-40/2.8 lens, it is pure magic on my E-PL5. My 4/3 lenses just sit around unused now.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,711Gear list
Like?

vadimraskin wrote:

I did the update and I never saw any difference in AF performance { though the only FT lens I have is the 50-200mm so I cant comment on any other FT glass}. Personally I was hoping for a video upgrade oh well maybe next timeĀ 

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
vadimraskin
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, 4 months ago

jim stirling wrote:

vadimraskin wrote:

I did the update and I never saw any difference in AF performance { though the only FT lens I have is the 50-200mm so I cant comment on any other FT glass}. Personally I was hoping for a video upgrade oh well maybe next time

Thanks. I will update tonight.

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
vadimraskin
Like?
Re: E-M1 and 4/3 lenses and latest firmware?
In reply to Guy Parsons, 4 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

vadimraskin wrote:

Not an E-M1 user but I'll answer in order to bump and get more attention.....

So far I've only seen good words about the latest firmware update as it adds the ability to eliminate shutter shock at 1/320 and slower shutter speeds.

With luck an E-M1 plus 4/3 lens user may stroll along and see this thread, but a more appropriate subject line may have better caught their attention.

By the way, save for that 12-40/2.8 lens, it is pure magic on my E-PL5. My 4/3 lenses just sit around unused now.

Regards.... Guy

Thanks, Guy.

i know about 12-40 but in a near future I will have to stick to my old FT glass (not that this is such a bad deal, the glass is amazing)

12-60 sits nicely on EM1 plus grip as it is about the same size as my old E-510 so I am happy. 50 mm F2 came to life on EM1! My old OM 50/1.8 also took some great shots too with Focus Peaking helping to get it in perfect focus. I just love the bokeh on the OM glass, it looks different.

vadimraskin
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 4 months ago

jalywol wrote:

vadimraskin wrote:

I am not sure what you are referring to with focus problems with the update? What it does do is give you a way to eliminate shutter shock at susceptible shutter speeds, which is something that a lot of people have been waiting for.

Could you post some links to the focus complaints that you have come across that relate to firmware 1.3?

-J

J

I don't remember where I heard it, since I wasn't much of a mFT follower until yesterday so I won't vouch for the statement.

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,185Gear list
Like?
What 1.3 fixes...

Dynamic range has been expanded when using the external mic. The sound level adjustment has been changed to adjust to 21 levels in accordance with this.

A function to turn the Volume Limiter on and off was added.
* When it is on, it automatically limits the mic input volume if sound input volume exceeds the designated level.

A 0 second setting has been added to Anti-Shock mode.

The camera operation when the Frame Rate of live view is [High] have been improved.

(Nothing to do with focus.)

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Caledonia
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?

Pretty sure I've seen that reference, too, though, like you, it's in the back of my mind somewhere, and I can't point you to a specific forum posting in this or the 4/3 forum.

I think the reference to degraded autofocus performance and firmware upgrades came up in one of the many threads devoted to continuous autofocus modes and tracking -- the hypothesis was that one of the firmware upgrades degraded C-AF performance, possibly in one of the tracking modes.  Since I don't often use C-AF, this was of no concern to me, and I certainly haven't seen any degradation of S-AF performance after doing all the firmware upgrades.

The latest E-M1 firmware version makes use of an electronic first curtain shutter available at up to 1/320 sec exposure.  Many folks feel this alone is an adequate reason to do the upgrade, as it theoretically eliminates or greatly reduces shutter shock in the shutter speed range where it's most often encountered.  Because shutter shock is such an irreproducible phenomenon, highly individual and situation-based, seemingly experienced by some and not by others, it's the object of much discussion; but the theoretical benefit of the EFCS seems perfectly sound, and the technology very much worth having via the firmware upgrade.

If C-AF and/or tracking are of great interest you might wish to do more research and form your own opinion about things before doing the FW upgrade.  As you surely know, it's not easy to roll the FW version back once one has upgraded it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads