XF 18 f2.0 Opinions from users.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,217Gear list
Like?
XF 18 f2.0 Opinions from users.
8 months ago

Those of you that have it please post your like/dislikes. I'm on the fence and have not found many images taken with it on the net.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
dannybgoode
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 18 f2.0 Opinions from users.
In reply to Les Lammers, 8 months ago

Its a quality lens at a very good price.  OK the autofocus may be slow compared to the newer lenses (14mm, 23mm etc) but it is still very useable.

Wide enough for landscapes, long enough to use on the street and lovely IQ.

Nice and light but very very well made.

In summary it may be one of the earlier XF lenses but it is still a very high quality piece of glass.

Early days for me but a couple of my favourite shots below...

-- hide signature --
 dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,438Gear list
Like?

I like it well enough as a walk around lens. When the X-Pro first came out, I bought the 18 and the 35 and I probably had the 18 on the camera 95% of the time, maybe more. It's pretty fast for a wide angle at f2.0, so it's good in low light. It's really nice in the center wide open and gets better as you stop down a bit. The corners are really soft wide open. They get better stopped down than wide open, but never get that sharp. If that matters to you be aware - it doesn't really bother me in the least but some are sticklers for that kind of thing.

I used the lens for zone focus for a couple of years and got by with it OK, but I find the distance scale on the LCD and EVF really tough to read and to stop precisely at a particular distance. I MUCH prefer the clutch focus rings on the 14 an 23 for that kind of thing and miss it on the 18. I have a Nikon A at that focus length now and use it for street work and most 28mm shooting, so the 18 doesn't get a lot of use these days. But it's my favorite focal length and if I didn't have another alternative I liked more in some key ways, I'd still be using it a lot. I tend to go out with the 14 and 23 now and the 18 on the Nikon (which functionally doesn't really take up any more room in a bag than the 18 does). And some days I take the 50-230 when I think I might want some reach.

If I didn't have the Nikon A, I'd use the 18 a lot still. It's a far less amazing lens than the 14 or 23 or 56, or even the 35, but I still like it a lot. If you're not anal about corner sharpness I'd say it's a really good lens. If you are, probably not for you...

Here are a couple of samples:

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Les Lammers
Like?
In reply to dannybgoode, 8 months ago

Nice shots Danny.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,344
Like?

Small and compact, sharp centre, good street lens.

Poor edges (high corrected distortion and ca) make a very average landscape lens.

Found my 18-55 sharper across frame at 18mm.

Les Lammers
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, 8 months ago

Nice pics!

"It's pretty fast for a wide angle at f2.0, so it's good in low light. It's really nice in the center wide open and gets better as you stop down a bit. The corners are really soft wide open. They get better stopped down than wide open, but never get that sharp. If that matters to you be aware - it doesn't really bother me in the least but some are sticklers for that kind of thing."

Corners don't bother me at all. At the current prices it is a great deal for an f2.0 WA. I just doesn't get a lot of love and I think I'd rather have it than the WA X-100 accessory.

Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?

Pros: fast autofocus, really lightweight and discreet, sharp centre, nice transition between OOF regions.

Cons: auto-corrected distortion meaning not sharp in the corners, sweet spot is about f5.6 so not exactly ideal for landscapes.

I use this as a walk around lens when it gets dark and inside restaurants, museums etc where I can't use flash. For those purposes it works very well.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,063Gear list
Like?

The weakiest X Lens with qite importantCA and rather soft bordres and corners

Rather noisy but fast AF

Very sharp in the center very small lght not intrusive a kind of ideal street shot lens

3.5 stars on 5

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

Les Lammers wrote:

Corners don't bother me at all. At the current prices it is a great deal for an f2.0 WA. I just doesn't get a lot of love and I think I'd rather have it than the WA X-100 accessory.

Current prices and in a few hours.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
jabber54
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

Les Lammers wrote:

Those of you that have it please post your like/dislikes. I'm on the fence and have not found many images taken with it on the net.

I like the 18mm and used it more when I first got my XPro1, now I usually have the 18-55mm with me.

Here are a few shots when I first got my XPro1 and was still learning to use it.

With the sale on I don't think you could go wrong.

Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to jabber54, 8 months ago

It`s an OK lens, nothing special IMHO. since owning the 23 and 35 I haven`t used it at all, in fact more often than not I don`t take it with me. The thing is if you pit it against other lenses of the same focal length(in either AP-c or FF) it holds up extremely well for sure but of course the 23/35 are just so good it does show up it`s weaknesses. For the price is good though.

Dave

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Al Valentino
Like?

jabber54 wrote:

Les Lammers wrote:

I like the 18mm and used it more when I first got my XPro1, now I usually have the 18-55mm with me.

Here are a few shots when I first got my XPro1 and was still learning to use it.

With the sale on I don't think you could go wrong.

Nice shots. Jordan Pond and the sunset from Cadillac Mtn in Acadia, and the lighthouse in south Portland. Recognize the spots!

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
FD1025
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

I use it as a general travel/street lens on my XE-1.

Here's a Flickr group on the 18mm. It may help you decide.

Fuji XF 18mm

jabber54
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 8 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

Nice shots. Jordan Pond and the sunset from Cadillac Mtn in Acadia, and the lighthouse in south Portland. Recognize the spots!

Thanks! - I'm impressed with your recognition - small correction - Pemaquid Point Lighthouse not Portland.  I like both and visit both while I am up there but I think I favor Pemaquid because of those rocks that go right down into the water.

tr4driver
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?

Les Lammers wrote:

The lens is not perfect, but it's more than worth the price of admission.  Period.

Kurt

Al Valentino
Like?

jabber54 wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

Thanks! - I'm impressed with your recognition - small correction - Pemaquid Point Lighthouse not Portland. I like both and visit both while I am up there but I think I favor Pemaquid because of those rocks that go right down into the water.

My mistake. I thought it was the lighthouse in south portland as i have seen that rock structure and reflection before and it is similar. I have shot in Acadia many times and often stayed in the blackwoods campground. I tried to shoot the lighthouse in portland once on my way home/south, but I got lost looking for the location and the locals seems to keep directing me the wrong way  i remember the frustration.

If you like hiking the hike to the too of both the bubble mountains, north of Jordan pond, has great views and photo ops. Look north and you get yo shoot eagle lake as well. I also hiked to the top of Cadillac Mountain. The hike to Gorham mountain is also really nice. bring a wide angle lens, including a fisheye, and you will be in for a treat.

-- hide signature --

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,562Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Small and fast AF compared to the 35mm lens.

More of a portrait ( environmental ) of street lens than landscape lens. Since I got the 14mm I rarely use the 18mm anymore. I got used to getting close.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
klownshed
Contributing MemberPosts: 584
Like?

I like mine. It came with my X-Pro1 as part of a deal and I've used it a fair bit. It's a good focal length for me. I'm not too bothered about corners. There's more to landscape photography than perfectly sharp things in the corners, and for my kind of stuff it's a perfectly good little lens.

it's small and light too, which never hurts.

Here are a few from my Flickr Stream (link at bottom for a couple more X-Pro1 photos)...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads