Exposure metering.

Started 6 months ago | Questions
orelavi
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Exposure metering.
6 months ago

Hello

Is it possible that half press on the shutter button will lock only the focus and not the exposure also?

Now half press, lock focus + exposure so it difficult to recompose because the exposure is not right.

I know that i have small button AE-L but its not comfortable...

I know that other brands let the user to decide if half press will lock focus or also exposure.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure metering.
In reply to orelavi, 6 months ago

orelavi wrote:

Hello

Is it possible that half press on the shutter button will lock only the focus and not the exposure also?

Now half press, lock focus + exposure so it difficult to recompose because the exposure is not right.

I know that i have small button AE-L but its not comfortable...

I know that other brands let the user to decide if half press will lock focus or also exposure.

I don't think you can do it exactly as you are asking, but there is another way to achieve the same results. In the menu, set the AF-L button to initiate and lock the focus (you have to have the S,C,M focus switch set to M). Once focus is achieved, recompose and shoot. The metering will take place as you have press the shutter.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
orelavi
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 6 months ago

It will probably work but its not natural/comfortable to work like this.

Its very odd that Fuji didn't implement such a simple option.

Other brands has this option and i think its a must have option.

Do you know how to contact Fuji in order to ask them to add this option?

khunfred
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?

If I understand what you want to do: you don't need keeping half pressed the shutter for memorize AF only:

1/press the shutter half

2/stop pressing

3/press AEL/AFL: if you have preset "AF lock", focus is locked on the same point as 1/ but exposure is still working

4/ re-compose

It's just a matter of practice actually.

BurpeesAreHard
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?

Use Manual Exposure. First, meter the scene, and set ISO, shutter speed, and aperture manually, with help from your meter. (If you're using an OVF, turn off OVF Power Save so metering is live.) Next, recompose, half press to lock focus, and shoot.

orelavi
Like?
In reply to khunfred, 6 months ago

AF-L button lock the focus (no need to press shutter half press and after it on AF-L).

When working with the EVF the natural position is half press on the shutter to lock the focus.

Pressing on the AF-L when looking through the viewfinder is not comfortable...

clockface
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

orelavi wrote:

AF-L button lock the focus (no need to press shutter half press and after it on AF-L).

When working with the EVF the natural position is half press on the shutter to lock the focus.

What Fuji camera are you concerned with, because mine doesn't work like you describe. Mine's a X100?

In autofocus modes the AFL button only locks a previously acquired focus. So you DO have to half-press the shutter first in order to get a focus. Then the AFL locks that focus.

In manual focus modes the AFL has a different function. It acquires focus i.e. you press it to get focus. It doesn't lock the focus in manual mode as it can be adjusted with the focus barrel of the lens.

Other Fuji cameras tend to adopt this dual function of the AFL button - hence my question of which camera are you talking about?

khunfred
Like?

orelavi wrote:

In AF mode, the AF-L knob locks the focus only after half press on shutter. AF-L focus itself only in MF mode (this Fuji terminology is not logical at all).

It's gymnastics: use AF-L button a hundred of times and your finger will find the AF-L knob easily. I used to shoot with a Nikon D7000 and if no mistake, I had to do the same for AF-L/AE-L.

That said, X100s is a small camera, so you will never get the same ergonomics than a bigger DSLR.

GearGuru
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
In reply to BurpeesAreHard, 6 months ago

Use manual expose

+1

GearGuru's gear list:GearGuru's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +21 more
orelavi
Like?
In reply to clockface, 6 months ago

I am using X-T1 model.
Pressing on AF-L button lock the focus (no need half press on shutter button).

clockface
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

orelavi wrote:

I am using X-T1 model.
Pressing on AF-L button lock the focus (no need half press on shutter button).

Thanks, that's good to hear they finally put that functionality into the camera.

Although, I think you mean that the AFL button on the XT now gets or acquires the focus, and then locks it.  The AFL button on earlier Fujis has always locked the focus, it's just that on those earlier models you had to get the focus first with the shutter button.

Digital Shutterbug
Like?

orelavi wrote:

It will probably work but its not natural/comfortable to work like this.

Its very odd that Fuji didn't implement such a simple option.

Other brands has this option and i think its a must have option.

Do you know how to contact Fuji in order to ask them to add this option?

It will not work the way you want it to. Are you still within the window allowing you to return the camera? Since you are unwilling to make any effort to learn to use the camera the way it can be used, it's probably best that you get rid of it and move on to something else.

-- hide signature --

Steve

orelavi
Like?

I don't want to return this camera.

I love this camera but i think that a small software update can improve it.

It much easier to recompose and shoot from the same button (shutter button) instead of using 2 different button with 2 different fingers for that.

Digital Shutterbug
Like?

orelavi wrote:

It much easier to recompose and shoot from the same button (shutter button) instead of using 2 different button with 2 different fingers for that.

I must say I am a total loss as to why you think this is so complicated. I know very few photographers that don't move the focus control to a separate button. Many articles I read by various well known professional photographers indicate they shoot this way. Canon and Nikon have both offered this feature for years. I researched the X-T1 before buying it. Had it not had the capability, I would not have bought it. It's that important to me.

On the X-T1, your thumb almost rests on the AF-L button. You just slide your thumb up and slightly right, press the AF-L button to allow the camera to focus. You can then release the button. The camera will hold that focus adjustment for as many exposures as you care to make.

After acquiring focus, recompose and shoot. You can even recompose, meter the subject and hold a half press while recomposing one more time for the actual exposure. This is what I do for spot metered exposures.

I started using this technique many years ago when Canon started making the feature available on DSLR's. It took all of about 2 hours for it to become totally natural to me. I have never returned to the old method of focusing with the shutter button. The only difference with the Fuji is in continuous focus mode. Canon allows you to still use the separate button for focus. Fuji forces control back to the shutter button. I don't shoot in continuous focus mode a lot, but I have not found it to be a big problem to revert back to the shutter button on those occasions.

Unless you have some handicap, such as arthritis or the loss of the end of your thumb, that prevents the easy use of of your thumb for pressing the AF-L button, I think you would quickly learn to appreciate the usefulness of this technique.

-- hide signature --

Steve

khunfred
Like?

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

orelavi wrote:

I must say I am a total loss as to why you think this is so complicated. I know very few photographers that don't move the focus control to a separate button. Many articles I read by various well known professional photographers indicate they shoot this way. Canon and Nikon have both offered this feature for years. I researched the X-T1 before buying it. Had it not had the capability, I would not have bought it. It's that important to me.

On the X-T1, your thumb almost rests on the AF-L button. You just slide your thumb up and slightly right, press the AF-L button to allow the camera to focus. You can then release the button. The camera will hold that focus adjustment for as many exposures as you care to make.

After acquiring focus, recompose and shoot. You can even recompose, meter the subject and hold a half press while recomposing one more time for the actual exposure. This is what I do for spot metered exposures.

Steve

If no mistake, Ken Rockwell advices using always MF and AF with AF-L knob. But with EVF you always have the AF confirm with the green frame. With X100s, I did not find any AF confirm when using OVF. I can only look at the distance scale at the bottom of the VF. More: in this mode, you can't change the size of AF frame, and I think also  AF is slower than in AF-s.

Digital Shutterbug
Like?
In reply to khunfred, 6 months ago

khunfred wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

orelavi wrote:

Steve

If no mistake, Ken Rockwell advices using always MF and AF with AF-L knob. But with EVF you always have the AF confirm with the green frame. With X100s, I did not find any AF confirm when using OVF. I can only look at the distance scale at the bottom of the VF. More: in this mode, you can't change the size of AF frame, and I think also AF is slower than in AF-s.

You are right about the focus box size not being adjustable using this method. I wish it was. I have not noticed any difference in focus speed with the X-T1 between the two methods.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads