Fuji Lens caps

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
Fuji Lens caps
8 months ago

I am new to Fuji and have only two lenses for my X-E1. It came with an 18-55 and the first day I was out shooting the Fuji lens cap fell off three times. I went to some good photo stores in Oaxaca and the third one had a decent 58mm lens cap. Actually, they had two so I bought both.

I am compulsive about using the lens cap. I stroll and shoot in the streets of Oaxaca and if I'm not taking a picture I always have the lens cap on. In only takes a second to pop it off to take a phone.

Putting it back on takes longer and then it sometimes isn't on securely. The little thingies you push to release the lens cap stick out so it it brushes against your sleeve or a passing bush the lens cap can fall off.

I got the 27mm lens, with the 39mm lens cap, and lost it within the first hour. I went straight downtown and discovered there isn't a 39mm lens cap in Oaxaca. I checked B&H and they don't have many, less than a half-dozen, and the best of the bunch looks to be Fuji which is, in my opinion, terrible.

I wish Fuji, especially for the tiny lens cap, had a better designed cap for the lens. If I get another Fuji 39mm I plan on using my Dremel tool to buff off the wings that seem to be designed to make the cap fall off the lens. Without the wings it would be a decent center-pinch lens.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji Lens caps
In reply to Patrick T. Kelly, 8 months ago

I use Bower pinch caps on my fuji lenses as i had the same problem and use them the same way you described. Got mine from BH for about $4 or close to it a year ago.  They have been perfect

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red Boar
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 8 months ago

Fully agree...wonderful (and expensive) lenses with crummy lens caps.

Red Boar's gear list:Red Boar's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Mike in Kansas
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

It's been reported by some that they've put a step up ring on the 27mm to step it up to a more common size.  However, depending on the dimensions of the step up ring, it can interfere with the len's focusing, so in that case they have taken a cheap 39mm filter and removed the glass in order to make a spacer, and THEN they've put on the step up ring.  Others have mounted a screw on hood and just put a lens cap in that.

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Nikon D50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,217Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike in Kansas, 8 months ago
 Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red Boar, 8 months ago

I own 7 fuji lenses and all of the caps suck.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 8 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

I use Bower pinch caps on my fuji lenses as i had the same problem and use them the same way you described. Got mine from BH for about $4 or close to it a year ago. They have been perfect

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

+1 on the Bower lens caps. I bought several after seeing Al's comments in another thread. They are great. They have the same issue with the tabs sticking out, but I have seen that as a problem. They lock onto the lens much more securely than the Fuji caps. I'm not sue they make a 39mm size. Check B&H, Adorama and Amazon. I think they all sell the Bower lens caps.

-- hide signature --

Steve

jm10
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?

I have two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Center-Pinch-Cover-18-70mm-lenses/dp/B006MXT0B4

and both of them are much better than the original one. The leash is optional; I happen to like it.

You can probably find a better price that this if you spend some time...

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Londongal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859
Like?

Lensmate has some good caps. You can remove the tether.  Haven't found a 72mm on their site, but they have 52mm; 58mm & 62mm.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/fujifilmX-E1.php

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735Gear list
Like?

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

I am new to Fuji and have only two lenses for my X-E1. It came with an 18-55 and the first day I was out shooting the Fuji lens cap fell off three times. I went to some good photo stores in Oaxaca and the third one had a decent 58mm lens cap. Actually, they had two so I bought both.

I am compulsive about using the lens cap. I stroll and shoot in the streets of Oaxaca and if I'm not taking a picture I always have the lens cap on. In only takes a second to pop it off to take a phone.

Putting it back on takes longer and then it sometimes isn't on securely. The little thingies you push to release the lens cap stick out so it it brushes against your sleeve or a passing bush the lens cap can fall off.

I got the 27mm lens, with the 39mm lens cap, and lost it within the first hour. I went straight downtown and discovered there isn't a 39mm lens cap in Oaxaca. I checked B&H and they don't have many, less than a half-dozen, and the best of the bunch looks to be Fuji which is, in my opinion, terrible.

I wish Fuji, especially for the tiny lens cap, had a better designed cap for the lens. If I get another Fuji 39mm I plan on using my Dremel tool to buff off the wings that seem to be designed to make the cap fall off the lens. Without the wings it would be a decent center-pinch lens.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

The Fuji lens caps have wings so they can fly.

I always replace OEM lens caps; I've been getting lens caps from LensMate for years. They stay in place. They do charge a flat shipping fee, so it's not something you'd want to order just one from them. Best to bundle multiple items from their site.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/plasticClipLensCap58.php?__utma=1.1462553249.1384405602.1394786555.1396735867.14&__utmb=1.1.10.1396735867&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1396735867.14.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=120567048

The 39mm is an odd size and very difficult to find. I'm compulsive about putting a B+W UV filter on all my lenses. With my new 27mm and 60mm this gives me the opportunity of adding a step up ring to the UV filter threads, and using a larger lens cap. It makes the lenses a little longer. And I haven't settled on any particular sizes yet -- still looking, but there is hope.

JCC makes inexpensive plastic parts. Do yourself a favor and replace the Fuji read lens caps, and the camera body cap with these. They also remain in place, and there's a lot more trouble in store for you if the rear lens cap happens to fall off of your lens while it's tucked away in your kit bag.

Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 8 months ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems. I have excellent lens caps for my 18-55mm. I bought them locally, don't know the brand but they're 58mm and made in Germany. They're center-pinch with nothing sticking out on the periphery of the cap or the front of the cap. Very secure and very easy to remove and replace.

My problem is the 39mm cap for the 27mm pancake. Even B&H has only 6 lens caps of 39mm and one of those is a $129 Leica lens cap  another is a $30 Leica and another is the Fuji. Then there is a Kaiser push on and a Sensei screw-in. They have one, plain ole lens cap. Not a center-pinch. It's a Sensei and the only plus I can see is it seems to have a place to tie a string to the cap so you don't lose it immediately.

I rather like the 27mm pancake lens from walking around but I won't use it without a lens cap and 39mm lens caps are almost impossible to find.

I'm going to order five of the Sensei and have my daughter bring them to Mexico when she visits in June. Aaargh!

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,439Gear list
Like?
I replace them all with Tamron caps

Tamron makes great lens caps that can be pinched in the center or at the edges, but they lock securely, you KNOW when they lock on, and they NEVER come off accidentally. Usually anywhere from $5-10 depending on size.

I'm sure there are others, but those work really well for me...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

I feel your pain. I come to Fuji from Pentax, which has the best lens caps ever. The Fuji lens caps are a real disappointment after the felt lines press on caps that Pentax provides for it's lenses.

GearGuru
Regular MemberPosts: 271Gear list
Like?

The Fuji lens caps are a total disappointment and inconsistent with the quality of the lenses. Please Fuji, make a better quality lens cap! I replaced all the Fuji's with Nikon pinch caps. Still haven't found a decent 39 mm as Nikon does not make that size.

GearGuru's gear list:GearGuru's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +21 more
PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110
Like?

The Fuji lens caps have wings so they can fly.

LOL!

Fuji taught me how to care for my lenses without using lens caps.  (I have a good camera bag with a blower brush and mircrofibre cloth on standby)

DanielFjall
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?

I mainly use my 35mm and I am probably the only one using the rubber lenshood cap. If I'm moving anywhere I don't use any caps at all. I take them off.

CrabbyGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
In reply to GearGuru, 8 months ago

I understand that the front caps need replacement.  Do the rear caps and body caps also need replacement?  If so, what sizes for each, please?

Back to the rear caps.  I saw a product advertised for Nikon and Canon concerning their rear caps.  It was replacement rear caps with the lens model or FL painted on the cap so that you could pull the right lens out easily.  (It wouldn't hurt to have good replacement front caps so marked as well.)  Has anyone seen this or have a suggestion on how to mark caps neatly for Fuji lenses?  (There's a small business opportunity here for someone, IMO.)

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to CrabbyGuy, 8 months ago

CrabbyGuy wrote:

I understand that the front caps need replacement. Do the rear caps and body caps also need replacement? If so, what sizes for each, please?

Back to the rear caps. I saw a product advertised for Nikon and Canon concerning their rear caps. It was replacement rear caps with the lens model or FL painted on the cap so that you could pull the right lens out easily. (It wouldn't hurt to have good replacement front caps so marked as well.) Has anyone seen this or have a suggestion on how to mark caps neatly for Fuji lenses? (There's a small business opportunity here for someone, IMO.)

Buy a cheap label maker. Once you have one, you'l find a bazillion uses for it all around the house. Besides labeling the rear cap for easy identification in the bag, I label all of my batteries so I can cycle through them as they are used. That way I don't have a couple that get all the use, and others that lay unused for weeks or months. If you're like me, you have a bath tub load of battery chargers for every device imaginable. Label them. No more confusion about what charger goes with what device. I'd be lost without a label maker.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Londongal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859
Like?
In reply to CrabbyGuy, 8 months ago

CrabbyGuy wrote:

I understand that the front caps need replacement. Do the rear caps and body caps also need replacement?

In my opinion, yes, the rear caps need replacement. The Fuji rear caps do not tighten securely enough to stay in place when the lens is being transported in a camera bag.  That was my biggest aggravation with my Fuji lenses on a recent trip.  I replaced all Fuji rear caps with JJC caps, JJC being frequently recommended by people on this forum. The JJC rear caps tighten properly and stay on the lens. Much better than the Fuji supplied ones.

My fav local bricks and mortar store carries JJC, so I purchased there.  B&H doesn't carry them, you can check Amazon & ebay.  I can't comment on the body cap because I've not had need to use it.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads