Olympus 25mm

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
alolywu
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Olympus 25mm
5 months ago

Recently got the Olympus 25mm and very impressed with the image quality wide open, size and even price.  The lens hood is a bit flimsy (you get what you pay for) but overall I'm very happy with the lens.  Highly recommended and definitely a good alternative to the Panasonic 25mm.

How are others finding it?

Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 25mm
In reply to alolywu, 5 months ago

alolywu wrote:

Recently got the Olympus 25mm and very impressed with the image quality wide open, size and even price. The lens hood is a bit flimsy (you get what you pay for) but overall I'm very happy with the lens. Highly recommended and definitely a good alternative to the Panasonic 25mm.

How are others finding it?

I would love to find out, Oly America still have mine on back-order after two weeks & waiting for a shipment from Japan.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
michealjmn
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

Well, I am enjoying it. I have had mine for 2 weeks, and I am just learning again.

However, here are a few from recent trip to the Minneapolis Art Institute.

All used available light, are cropped, and had some white balance and exposure correction.

I will post some outdoor shots from today next.

Thanks for asking...

Micheal

michealjmn's gear list:michealjmn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
michealjmn
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron Evers, 5 months ago

These were taken today. Crop and exposure adjustments only. Not the best time of day, but I was there with a camera.

Not too many images I hope. They were all taken at f/5.6.

Thanks for looking.

Micheal

michealjmn's gear list:michealjmn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
TRUE LIBERTY
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?

This would be my first 50mm equivalent prime since buying a dslr in 2004. I just couldnt understand whats so special about them. And figured I would probably hardly use it. It has been stuck on my camera now for 2 months. Losing out on my zoom has not bothered me that much compared to the wonderful quality of the shots and the compactness for ease of taking with me.

I myself don't find the lens hood cheap at all. It stays in place with a nice and tight fit. Now my 14-50 and 14-150 Panasonic/Leica 4/3 lenses I use with a adapter on my EM1 there lens hoods I always have to worry about losing because the fit is not as tight.

Its been fun learning this lens.

Ridethelight
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
In reply to TRUE LIBERTY, 5 months ago

Picked my one up in London 2 weeks ago, has not come off since,love it, sharp, nice smooth bokeh.

Ridethelight's gear list:Ridethelight's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a5000 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?

I'll be getting this lens with a GX7. I sold my 20mm 1.7 as it has quite pronounced field curvature and thus the edges and corners don't get anywhere near as good as the excellent centre which is no good for my landscape work. From all the tests I've seen on the Panasonic vs OL 25mm the OL has better corner and edge performance and again this suits my needs better regardless of how superior it's other qualities are (+ it's cheaper).

oeoek
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?

Like True Liberty above, I am a bit surprised at how much I enjoy this lens. I am a prime shooter, and for the past years I have done most work with the 7,5, the 12 and the 45mm. Getting the 25mm was 'just to plug the gap', and I expected to use it mostly at home for still life. I do use it for that, but it oftens get out as part of a two lens kit as well (7,5 and 25, or 25 and 45). As it turns out, this angle of view has been 'standard' for years for a good reason. And the Oly 25 turns out to be better than I expected.

oeoek's gear list:oeoek's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shirozina, 5 months ago

What tests,  if I may ask?

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Shirozina
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 5 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

What tests, if I may ask?

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

Google 'Olympus 25 mm vs Panasonic 25mm'

Phil
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?
In reply to oeoek, 5 months ago

I have both the EM5 and EM1.  I now put the 25mm 1.8 on the EM5 and use it to carry with me everyday with just a foam poouch and a wrist strap.  I also have the 45mm, but tend to not carry it except for when I know I will be shooting.  I carry it along with 7-14, 12-40 and 35-100 in a Think Tank Retrospective 5.  For telephoto I use either the 75-300 or the SWD 50-200, carried in a separate bag and used on the EM1.

No doubt the bag and zooms are more versatile, but it is the EM5 and 25 that I grab everyday.  Prior to this I had the PL 25, but traded it for the Oly for the lighter, smaller package.  I am not disappointed with this choice.  When I travel, I take it out at night.  During the day, it is usually the bag along with monopod and tripod.

To choose between the 17 and 25 is personal preference.  For me, it was 25.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Miron09
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
wide open usable
 Miron09's gear list:Miron09's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +15 more
h2odog
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?

Very happy to see all the positive reviews of the 25 1.8. Now all I have to wait for is my EM-10 sometime in May:)

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
alolywu
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Re: wide open usable
In reply to Miron09, 5 months ago

Nice gallery!  I like #6.  I've found the lens to be very versatile and agree with you that it's usable wide open.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads