Fast, cheap MFT camera for wife...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Alan Smith
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
Fast, cheap MFT camera for wife...
5 months ago

I have an OMD EM5.  (Coming from Canon).   I like it a lot.  My wife has one of my old Canon bodies but I want to move her to MFT (smaller, lighter.)

Her #1 concern is rapid AF.   (The only reason she used a Canon body was so she wouldn't lose shots of active kids.)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

equipment now in Gear List

Alan Smith's gear list:Alan Smith's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D +12 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807Gear list
Like?
Re: Fast, cheap MFT camera for wife...
In reply to Alan Smith, 5 months ago

I keep seeing requests for fast and cheap AF, but I wonder if this always means a camera which will compete with blazing fast continuous AF. In general that doesn't come cheap. However, if you restate the request to ask for a camera which will produce sharp, well-focused individual photos of children at play, the options expand.

That is because contrast detect AF tends to be very accurate and very fast, especially when guided a little. The keeper rate goes up dramatically when using touch-to-focus-and-shoot. There's a good chance that little Johnny at play will be in focus if you touch his face on the screen.

Which means that some affordable cameras like the PL5 or even the PM2 now fall into the fast focus group. And they will be able to use your current lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,816
Like?

Does she approve of the AF in the e-m5?

mrc4nl
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Re: gf3?

Its a verry snappy camera and quite cheap. just dont go over iso 800.

lapdog99
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?

A fast, EXPENSIVE mft might be a much wiser choice!  E-M10???

lapdog99's gear list:lapdog99's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?

E-PM2 is inexpensive in anyone's book and is a very nice camera. My wife has the 14-42 kit lens on hers: focuses instantaneously and she is really happy with the image quality.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to lapdog99, 5 months ago

lapdog99 wrote:

A fast, EXPENSIVE mft might be a much wiser choice! E-M10???

The E-PL5 focuses just as fast as the higher end OM-D models.   The only thing that the E-M1 does better is continuous tracking focus using PDAF.   But the E-M10 doesn't have that feature.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,767Gear list
Like?

Alan Smith wrote:

Suggestions?

buy E-M1, give E-M5 to your wife

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
ThePhilips
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
Re: gf5?
In reply to mrc4nl, 5 months ago

mrc4nl wrote:

Its a verry snappy camera and quite cheap. just dont go over iso 800.

I have seen GF5 kits in Germany for 250€. With GF5/GF6 one can cautiously go to iso 3200.

ThePhilips's gear list:ThePhilips's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,012
Like?

Alan Smith wrote:

I have an OMD EM5. (Coming from Canon). I like it a lot. My wife has one of my old Canon bodies but I want to move her to MFT (smaller, lighter.)

Her #1 concern is rapid AF. (The only reason she used a Canon body was so she wouldn't lose shots of active kids.)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Is she happy with your EM5 for what she wants?......if so then should be lots to choose from, they are all pretty good.

If not, then maybe a Sony A6000?

Don't think you will get a m4/3 camera that is fast and cheap that will get the shots she wants of active kids without missing shots at least but if the single AF is ok for her then any recent 16mp M4/3 might do.

tanniewu
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?

Pana GM1... has everything a woman wants: small, light, fast AF, wifi... and also perhaps the internal flash and eShutter.  My only reservation would be lack of in body IS, and no flip screen for selfie.

The slightly larger and heavier Oly EPL5/6 has in body IS and flip screen... but will need Wifi SD card (no remote shutter function) to transfer photos into mobile phone.

-- hide signature --

TWu
E-M5, HLD-6, E-P5, GX1, XZ-1, XZ-2, TG-1, VF-3, VF-4, LVF2, FL-50R, FL-300R, FL-600R
9-18, 12-35, 12-50, 35-100, 14-140 II, 100-300, 17/1.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8 (m42)

tanniewu's gear list:tanniewu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +14 more
Eric Nepean
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?

The G5 has fast AF, decent image quality, very reasonable price, great hand grip, menu system is easy to learn, has an "Intelligent mode" that works really well if she doesn't want to spend time on the menu, flip out LCD, good evf, built in flash and hot shoe, no IBIS but OIS works well enough, decent video.

-- hide signature --

Eric

Eric Nepean's gear list:Eric Nepean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +15 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,745Gear list
Like?

Alan Smith wrote:

I have an OMD EM5. (Coming from Canon). I like it a lot. My wife has one of my old Canon bodies but I want to move her to MFT (smaller, lighter.)

Her #1 concern is rapid AF. (The only reason she used a Canon body was so she wouldn't lose shots of active kids.)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

I think that an issue for many with the "less expensive" current mFT options is the lack of built in EVF the add on options are quite pricey making buying a model with an EVF quite handy especially for DSLR shooters who may be used to using an eye level finder. When I got my first mFT camera the GF1 i occasionally lifted the camera to my eye before remembering it didnt have one , needless to say I got the add on EVF post haste   As an owner of both Olympus and Panasonic I would consider the Panasonic models as the video quality is a step up compared to Olympus.

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, 5 months ago

Fast AF for wildlife is Nikon V1 system. M43 is not yet a sports camera. It will be in a year or so when sensors are covered with pdaf points.

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alexsfo, 5 months ago

Alexsfo wrote:

Fast AF for wildlife is Nikon V1 system. M43 is not yet a sports camera. It will be in a year or so when sensors are covered with pdaf points.

In terms of single shot AF,  all of the current generation Micro 4/3 cameras are plenty fast.

In terms of continuous tracking AF, the only Micro 4/3 bodies that cut it are the GH3,  GH4, or OM-D E-M1.

All of the Nikon 1 bodies are very fast in continuous AF as long is the lighting is good.  But indoors it often is not, and these cameras drop back to CDAF, where they are slower than the current generation of Olympuses.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,168
Like?

Alan Smith wrote:

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

GM1, but you will probably end up using it yourself, best buy two ...

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,168
Like?
Make sure that it passes the basics

Not wishing to be sexist but is photography such a male dominated thing that the bloke gets the SUV and the wife the cheap little runabout? Or is it that women are smarter than blokes and don't spend the family farm on cameras?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Make sure that it passes the basics
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Hmmm...just noticed that.  The wife gets the "cheap" 'good enough' body while the man of the house gets the goodies.  Hmmm.  This could start a whole new war! I vote for two new cameras of equal value.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to LMNCT, 5 months ago

Makes sense to me.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 5 months ago

Not wishing to be sexist but is photography such a male dominated thing that the bloke gets the SUV and the wife the cheap little runabout? Or is it that women are smarter than blokes and don't spend the family farm on cameras?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

How could that be seen as sexist? If anything, it might be seen as pointing out sexism... Which is a far scarier thing to men.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads