Pentax menu system - easy/user friendly?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
socalval
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax menu system - easy/user friendly?
6 months ago

This will be my first DSLR purchase. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Pentax K-50 after comparing it the comparable Nikon and Canon models. I haven't been able to get my hands on the K-50 in person as none of the local stores seem to stock it. Costco sells it on-line with the 2 lens bundle kit and if I go that route I will have the opportunity to return it in store IF there is a reason to - but I hope there is no reason to as I'm pretty convinced this is the camera for me. I've even gone as far reading both the online user manuals for the K-50 and the Nikon 5200. (Is that weird? LOL) It helped a little to understand the features and settings etc., but it still has me wondering what it's like to actually flip thru the menu and find things.

I'd love to hear your opinions of the Pentax menu system especially those who have used both and wish to compare for me.

soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax menu system - easy/user friendly?
In reply to socalval, 6 months ago

It depends on what system you've accustomed to. I found Pentax menus the most user friendly of them all. Canon menus comes next.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Class A
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

The Pentax menu system is very effective.

You can switch between main sections and sub-screens by using the front and rear dials respectively. You never need to scroll within a sub-screen.

I don't know the menu system of the particular Nikon model you are considering, but one of Nikon's advantages is the existence of a custom menu which you can populate with the items you need most often.

I don't miss a custom menu on my Pentax K-5 II since the regular info screen gives me access to all I need 95% of the time, but I'm pretty sure that if the K-5 II offered a custom menu, I'd configure it and use it, just in order to avoid relocating the few items I sometimes use from the configuration menu.

Class A's gear list:Class A's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?

socalval wrote:

This will be my first DSLR purchase. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Pentax K-50 after comparing it the comparable Nikon and Canon models. I haven't been able to get my hands on the K-50 in person as none of the local stores seem to stock it. Costco sells it on-line with the 2 lens bundle kit and if I go that route I will have the opportunity to return it in store IF there is a reason to - but I hope there is no reason to as I'm pretty convinced this is the camera for me. I've even gone as far reading both the online user manuals for the K-50 and the Nikon 5200. (Is that weird? LOL) It helped a little to understand the features and settings etc., but it still has me wondering what it's like to actually flip thru the menu and find things.

I'd love to hear your opinions of the Pentax menu system especially those who have used both and wish to compare for me.

Pentax menus are not as nice looking as on other brands cameras, but they're quite effective and logically organized. People complaining most likely are accustomed with other brands cameras and their menu system, as I never heard of a Pentax user having such issues with his camera.

When I would occasionally use a Canon/Nikon camera, I wouldn't care about nice pictograms - but I would get a bit confused about how they're structured. I like Pentax better, but then I'm used to it. I like the Pentax interface better (Nikon sometimes needs 3 hands to handle), it's not such a big deal though and I could easily adapt to other brands.

In short: you'll be fine

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,000Gear list
Like?

I find the Pentax menu system fairly easy to work through.  It's mostly an early days thing and once you have the camera set up the way you want you'll only go in the menus on occasion or to try something a little differently.  If you want commentary on what settings to pick or what does a given menu selection do you can always ask here.  I've spent a lot of time with four different menu systems on different maker's cameras and after a few days I don't think about the menu much on any of them. Once you get more advanced there is usually a certain amount of control customization available and one can stay out of the menus even more.  Have fun learning the camera it is a very good one.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
DrewE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?

I've owned (or still own) the Pentax K10d, K-5, and old Fuji S9000z cameras.  All have perfectly functional menu systems, as I'm sure the Canon and Nikon cameras also do.  There's definitely some room for improvement here and there (and the K-5 has some definite improvements over the K10D, such as fixing up some of the ludicrously abbreviated custom menu item names).  The Pentax menus are more logically arranged than the S9000z's were, which seemed to have stuff thrown around more or less arbitrarily.

Probably my biggest annoyance on the Pentax cameras is the date and time and time zone setting, which is overly complicated for its own good.  Luckily, that's not something you have to deal with very frequently.

-- hide signature --

--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,383Gear list
Like?

I have used Nikon (D7000) and Pentax (K-5 IIs) DSLRs. I think any camera menu system is learnable, but I have a strong personal reference the Pentax. I have found the Pentax menu system is logically organized and easy to learn.

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
jatthegreat
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
It looks like this:

Unfortunately dpreview does not have an indepth review of K50 as of yet, so checkout the menu screen shots from K30 (incase you haven't looked at it yet). K50 menus should be lot similar to this (infact even K5/K3 menus are all very similar):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-30/7

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-30/8

Regards,

Jatin

jatthegreat's gear list:jatthegreat's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,654Gear list
Like?
Pentax menu system: the best!!!!!

Especially in the price range of the K50, by far the best usability: Best menu, best viewfinder, best build quality, best button layout (twin dials).

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
OPTMEKX7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax .....a joy to use.

everything falls in the right place. The interface is straight forward, without digging to deep menu to get the most commonly used functions.

cheers,

Rene

OPTMEKX7's gear list:OPTMEKX7's gear list
Pentax Optio 33LF Pentax Optio A40 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 IIs +1 more
socalval
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Thank you everyone for your comments. I feel more reassured and plan to make the purchase on line. I know any new camera- especially for a beginner will take a while to learn the system but I wanted to make sure it didn't have the reputation for being complicated or more geared for professionals.

Thanks again for all the help!

emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,354Gear list
Like?

socalval wrote:

I've been shooting with Pentax DSLRs since 2006 and now have 6 different models. I bought a Nikon D300s about 4 years ago and last year I rented a Nikon D7100 for several weeks. I can state unequivocally that the Pentax menu system is by far and away the simplest of the two and the most intuitive to use. But don't let that make you believe that the Pentax system is less powerful because it is not. One of Pentax' great strengths is their usability - and that covers both the menu system and the ergonomics (handling). Pentax design is just brilliant.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Gazeomon
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?

The Pentax menus are a breeze to work with compared to Nikons. I shoot with a Nikon D300s and Pentax K5IIs and K3. Going into the Nikon menus is daunting (dungeons!) for me just the way they are structured, but once the camera is set up one does not have to go there very often. I find the Pentax menus  much easier to work with, especially when accessing the quick menu, but then again setting up the camera and with so many external controls there is little need to go there. Not sure about the K50s external control features.

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more
kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?

I had never owned a DSLR (but had an Olympus and a Nikon SLR) before until my K-30.  My work place has an Nikon D300s which I use occasionally. I find both Pentax and Nikon menu system easy to use, with the Pentax quicker to get used to.

Now I have just suggested my workplace to get a K-3 as a replacement to the D300s.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon PowerShot G15 Pentax K-30 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads