Does Fujifilm pace their lens releases to to make us buy them all?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
davidjlee
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Does Fujifilm pace their lens releases to to make us buy them all?
8 months ago

I really like the Fujifilm lens lineup. But honestly there are lenses that I wouldn't have purchased if lenses released later had been available. Are they timing the releases so people buy them all?

Is it just me?

The 60mm f/2.4 before the 56mm f/1.2.

The 14 f/2.8 before the 10-24mm f/4.

The 16-50mm f/3.5-f/5.6 before the 16-55mm f/2.8

davidjlee's gear list:davidjlee's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
Yes n/t
In reply to davidjlee, 8 months ago
No text.
 gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dannybgoode
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Fujifilm pace their lens releases to to make us buy them all?

They are all different lenses with different functions and with the x mount being a new system they have to have a roadmap (and from memory you would have seen the 10-24 would be available when you bought the 14) as they are not going to have the capability to launch with the full set all at once.

The 60 is a macro the 56 is not so if the 56 came first some may then have wished they had waited for the 60 but those are the only 2 lenses in the line up that cross in terms of functionality.

The 14 is a prime and all systems have 1 or 2 wide primes and a wide zoom. You prefer a wide zoom but a lot of people prefer a wide prime so they have to cater for both.

The 16-50 is a 'kit' variable aperture lens, cheapish and light, the 16-55 is going to be considerably mire expensive and larger. Again there is nothing unusual about a system having lenses of similar FL's but different apertures, build and pricing.

Which ever order they release the lenses in some people may prefer the newly released one but as stated above there is very little true crossover in the range and you can always consult the roadmap.
--
Shoot lots...

http://www.dannybowerphotography.co.uk

dannybgoode's gear list:dannybgoode's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
TravelLight
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
Re: Yes n/t
In reply to gerard boulanger, 8 months ago

Does yes mean "yes, it's just you" or "yes, it's Fuji's lens strategy"?

To OP's question -- I had that same conspiracy theory too, but it's prob. not the case. Fuji built this line from scratch so there are "early" lenses, and then "later" lenses. They have to start somewhere. Since all of them are good, "late" adopters like us will have a hard time choosing.

I wasn't too happy that the WR lenses are not available at the same time X-T1 was pushed to the market (like the perfect match of 12-40mm and E-M1), but I think it's just timing (too naive?). Honestly, looking at the specs I am not sure if I'd have preferred the larger/heavier WR lenses over the more compact 18-55 even if they were made available at the same time.

Talking about the overabundance of choices, I think the M43 system is way more confusing (when I was thinking about buying a macro, I vacillated between the Oly 60mm and Pana 45mm for the longest time and still couldn't pull the trigger).

Now I am done looking for the next best thing. I enjoy what I have and try to focus more on images than lenses.

gerard boulanger wrote:

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes n/t
In reply to TravelLight, 8 months ago

TravelLight wrote:

Now I am done looking for the next best thing. I enjoy what I have and try to focus more on images than lenses.

gerard boulanger wrote:

me too. Stop buying more Fuji's stuff, and just trying to be in focus.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,809Gear list
Like?

No.

Someone had to decide which lens should be released in what order. That order is based on Fuji's perception of the market; that's it. Personally, I see a lot of forethought going in to which lens makes the most sense to release from a Customer point of view.

They have a limited number of designers developing the prototypes. When they get a good idea of when a model will be ready to release, they put it on the Roadmap. Right now, Fuji's scrambling to put out enough X-T1's and XF 10-24mm's to fill the existing backorders.

Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 8 months ago

Only the feeble minded allow a private company to "make" them buy anything unless the company has a government approved monopoly.

I've been debating recently about the 14mm versus the 10-24mm zoom. The zoom has versatility, it's a zoom, but the 14mm has an advantage in size and price. I'll probably go with the 14mm. I won't be able to get it till June so I have some time to consider.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

davidjlee wrote:

I really like the Fujifilm lens lineup. But honestly there are lenses that I wouldn't have purchased if lenses released later had been available. Are they timing the releases so people buy them all?

Is it just me?

The 60mm f/2.4 before the 56mm f/1.2.

The 14 f/2.8 before the 10-24mm f/4.

The 16-50mm f/3.5-f/5.6 before the 16-55mm f/2.8

Yes. Fuji also tracks where you live, and if you don't buy one of everything, they will send Yakuzas after you and your family. You will know because of the subtle signs they leave. The water being mysteriously drained out of your goldfish bowl, wife going missing, house burning down with only your camera bag undamaged, that sort of thing.

Oh wait, that might be Olympus.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

The first lens were small and light, 18, 35, 60, 18-55 and 14mm. Then came to big guns/primes. I suspect that if they started with big lenses the system would not have sold as well since part of the allure was small and light. Next comes the big zooms with 72 and 77mm filter sizes like the 10-24, 16-55, 50-135 w/tripod collar

Personally, i am sticking with the small and light lenses. Choice is good.

they also started out with a hybrid rangefinder style and now have a model T SLR style with big hump.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 8 months ago

They are after me as I type. Gotta run.....:-O

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
proque
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

In my mind pace lens releases equals lens roadmap. Therefore, the answer is yes. FUJI is still in the business of making revenue and the more we buy their products the better it is for them.

Lucky for us early adopters, the image and build quality of their initial lens offering (XF line) are so good that it is really up to you if you need more. As opposed to some manufacturers that will start with crappy lens offering.

I also like the way they pace it with price in mind as well. The prices of their latest offerings is trending higher. Imagine if it is the reverse.

proque's gear list:proque's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
wyldberi
Like?
In reply to Patrick T. Kelly, 8 months ago

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

Only the feeble minded allow a private company to "make" them buy anything unless the company has a government approved monopoly.

I've been debating recently about the 14mm versus the 10-24mm zoom. The zoom has versatility, it's a zoom, but the 14mm has an advantage in size and price. I'll probably go with the 14mm. I won't be able to get it till June so I have some time to consider.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

IMO, the decision to buy any particular lens should rest in the knowledge of whether the User has a need for that focal length.

I also believe every photographer is better prepared if they have some combination of lenses that cover the Wide, Standard, and Telephoto focal length ranges. What that would look like is completely an individual decision for everyone to make. A photographer that limits their lens selection to a single 50mm prime lens has restricted their potential.

For me, I like to shoot wide. Besides appreciating the Fuji 14mm's performance characteristics that I find to be nothing short of outstanding, the FOV it produces also happens to be at the limits of how wide I do like to shoot. I rarely get into a situation that requires a wider FOV; buying the 10-24mm is not an issue for me.

For someone else, if they frequently need a 12mm or 10mm lens, then that's the lens they should choose for their stable of lenses.

wyldberi
Like?
Re: Don?
No text.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads