Impression on XT-1 and 56mm/1.2, plus some thoughts on upcoming 16-55 f2.8 and 50-140 f2.8 lenses.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,176Gear list
Like?
Impression on XT-1 and 56mm/1.2, plus some thoughts on upcoming 16-55 f2.8 and 50-140 f2.8 lenses.
8 months ago

XT-1:  got to try it. impression I have of camera is very positive. AF is very fast and accurate. build is very solid. EVF is very good and did not see lag, though could be better if bigger and brighter but otherwise very nice. display screen is very good and nice also. camera is not small but about same size as XE-2.  but XT-1 is best when bigger. I find perfect balance with XT-1 camera if used with battery grip accessory. if people consider buying this camera, it is highly recommended and advisable to get battery grip also.  camera may look bigger but is best that way, I promise.

56mm 1.2: one word description only, AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL ! wait, that is two words, laugh.  lens is a must buy. very beautiful isolation and creamy background blur, also bright. but what is amazing is despite opening, lens is very easy to focus and accurate. speed is fast enough. very very very very very very sharp from f1.2 and no problem getting perfect focus.

16-55mm f2.8: only dummy model but I see lens is small compare to similar fast zooms from other brands but still cannot be put on pocket.  weight approximation is possibly around 400g only. target release date is June 2014.

50-140 f2.8: dummy model also. lens is big and long but small compare to similar lens fast zooms from other brands. definitely cannot be pocketed and need bag for it. lens has clamp and approximate weight could be 600-700g.  quite heavy but very light and small compared to similar fast zooms. target release date is September/October 2014.

*** lenses are perfect fit for XT-1 especially with battery grip.

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 and the 16-55 f2.8
In reply to jennyrae, 8 months ago

Hi Jennyrae,

I just ordered the XT-1, 23mm1.4 and the 55-200mm.  I didn't go with the kit 18-55mm as I was hoping to maybe get the 16-55 f2.8 instead.

Do you have any idea of what the 16-55 f2.8 will cost?

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,317Gear list
Like?
Get your guesses in!

jennyrae wrote:

XT-1: got to try it. impression I have of camera is very positive. AF is very fast and accurate. build is very solid. EVF is very good and did not see lag, though could be better if bigger and brighter but otherwise very nice. display screen is very good and nice also. camera is not small but about same size as XE-2. but XT-1 is best when bigger. I find perfect balance with XT-1 camera if used with battery grip accessory. if people consider buying this camera, it is highly recommended and advisable to get battery grip also. camera may look bigger but is best that way, I promise.

56mm 1.2: one word description only, AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL ! wait, that is two words, laugh. lens is a must buy. very beautiful isolation and creamy background blur, also bright. but what is amazing is despite opening, lens is very easy to focus and accurate. speed is fast enough. very very very very very very sharp from f1.2 and no problem getting perfect focus.

Cool - let's see who gets closest!

16-55mm f2.8: only dummy model but I see lens is small compare to similar fast zooms from other brands but still cannot be put on pocket. weight approximation is possibly around 400g only. target release date is June 2014.

650g

50-140 f2.8: dummy model also. lens is big and long but small compare to similar lens fast zooms from other brands. definitely cannot be pocketed and need bag for it. lens has clamp and approximate weight could be 600-700g. quite heavy but very light and small compared to similar fast zooms. target release date is September/October 2014.

900g

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,665Gear list
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, 8 months ago

I think it is very safe to assume you can count on it costing NO less than $1000USD. Probably more like $1200. Guess we will see soon enough.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji 56mm f1.2R Lens, waiting for the Fuji mount Nissin i40 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
jennyrae
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, 8 months ago

price is relative with other similar lens from other brands. so is not cheap.

jennyrae
Like?
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 8 months ago

something around that. lens is heavily corrected from what I heard.

Steve W
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: Get your guesses in!
In reply to inasir1971, 8 months ago

inasir1971 wrote:

jennyrae wrote:

XT-1: got to try it. impression I have of camera is very positive. AF is very fast and accurate. build is very solid. EVF is very good and did not see lag, though could be better if bigger and brighter but otherwise very nice. display screen is very good and nice also. camera is not small but about same size as XE-2. but XT-1 is best when bigger. I find perfect balance with XT-1 camera if used with battery grip accessory. if people consider buying this camera, it is highly recommended and advisable to get battery grip also. camera may look bigger but is best that way, I promise.

56mm 1.2: one word description only, AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL ! wait, that is two words, laugh. lens is a must buy. very beautiful isolation and creamy background blur, also bright. but what is amazing is despite opening, lens is very easy to focus and accurate. speed is fast enough. very very very very very very sharp from f1.2 and no problem getting perfect focus.

Cool - let's see who gets closest!

16-55mm f2.8: only dummy model but I see lens is small compare to similar fast zooms from other brands but still cannot be put on pocket. weight approximation is possibly around 400g only. target release date is June 2014.

650g

50-140 f2.8: dummy model also. lens is big and long but small compare to similar lens fast zooms from other brands. definitely cannot be pocketed and need bag for it. lens has clamp and approximate weight could be 600-700g. quite heavy but very light and small compared to similar fast zooms. target release date is September/October 2014.

900g

If the 16-55mm is ~650g then its about the same weight as Canon 16-35 f/2.8 is 625g

if the 55-140mm is ~900g thens a little heavier than Canon's new 24-70 f/2.8 which is ~805g. The older 24-70mm f/2.8L Version 1 was a little heavier.

So if you get access to these you can probably get a good feel for the size of Fuji's new lens.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +33 more
jennyrae
Like?
Re: Get your guesses in!
In reply to Steve W, 8 months ago

sorry I have no scale to weigh lens with precision but I only feel dummy lenses with my hand. my approximation of the lenses is 400g for the short zoom and 600-700g with long zoom. as I said, lenses feel lighter than my Canon glass counterparts. take grain with salt also because Fuji lens is subject to change. modify with pull something mechanism for focus and trim down further from what I hear.

Full Frame project is not top priority but Fuji try to compete against FF with performance and lenses.

gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?
Re: Impression on XT-1 and 56mm/1.2, plus some thoughts on upcomin -55 f2.8 and 50-140 f2.8 lenses.

Pentax 50-135 f/2.8 weighs 685 gr...I guess the 50-140 to be close to that?

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Steve W
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: Impression on XT-1 and 56mm/1.2, plus 16-55 f2.8 and 50-140 f2.8 lenses.

There is no question in my mind after owning Fuji equipment along side my Canon gear for about the last 2.5 years that the Fuji APS-C system will always be smaller and lighter than FF, even when the make f/1.2 primes or f/2.8 zooms. The key will be is it small enough? There original 18-55 f/2.8-4 is great. The f/2.8 I'm sure will be great as well just larger and heavier. Just like all the f/4 zooms Canon and Nikon make are smaller and lighter than their f/2.8 brothers. Or why a 23mm f1.4 prime is bigger than a 23mm f/2.0 prime. Physics is physics. For me I'd rather own the 14mm f/2.8, 23mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.2 since I'm more concerned about weight when I hold the camera than the weight on my shoulder which isn't much different.  I know the 10-24 is much bigger than the 14mm. Some want speed, flexibility, and the convince of not changing lens, some like fast primes, and some want lighter and are more than willing to accept the loss of one stop. Heck, Leica realized this more than 75 years ago. I just want the flexibility to choose which as Fuji grows this lens line we are getting. Now if I could just get a 90mm f/2 or f/2.4 with IS that would be great.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +33 more
jennyrae
Like?
Re: Impression on XT-1 and 56mm/1.2, plus some thoughts on upcomin -55 f2.8 and 50-140 f2.8 lenses.
In reply to gerard boulanger, 8 months ago

Yes. something like that. is not really very heavy. difference is build quality and finish of Fuji zoom is really nice. too bad it come late this year.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads