Black GM1?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
Black GM1?
5 months ago

Anyone have any information about when the black GM1 will be available from US importers? Several vendors are selling it in the US on Amazon, but I assume they are grey goods. B&H and Adorama are not offering it yet.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
Re: Black GM1?
In reply to Chris Noble, 5 months ago

My advice is to go down to your nearest camera store and check out the GM1. I live in the UK and I wanted the black+silver GM1 which we didn't sell over here at the time. So I imported one from Hong Kong because both the UK and HK share the same power adaptor. When mine arrived, I was completely surprised how small the camera was and felt like a fool for going that extra mile to get a certain colour camera, when most people will not be able to see it.

I understand if people want to go the extra length to get a cetain colour GX7 but the GM1 is about half to a 3rd the size of the GX7. So the question is will random people care or notice the GM1. To the general crowd, they will think the GM1 is just a point and shoot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909
Like?
In reply to C Sean, 5 months ago

C Sean wrote:

My advice is to go down to your nearest camera store and check out the GM1. I live in the UK and I wanted the black+silver GM1 which we didn't sell over here at the time. So I imported one from Hong Kong because both the UK and HK share the same power adaptor. When mine arrived, I was completely surprised how small the camera was and felt like a fool for going that extra mile to get a certain colour camera, when most people will not be able to see it.

I understand if people want to go the extra length to get a cetain colour GX7 but the GM1 is about half to a 3rd the size of the GX7. So the question is will random people care or notice the GM1. To the general crowd, they will think the GM1 is just a point and shoot.

I did similar to yourself (I am also in the UK, and wanted the silver & black version, which as you say has never been particularly widely available in the UK).  I did it the easy way and bought it from John Lewis, which had (only) the silver version in stock from pretty much as soon as the GM1 hit the shelves in Britain, so I was very pleased to spot it (turned out handy as there were two Panasonic promotions running on the date I bought it - both official Panasonic ones - the well-known free grip offer but also another one which I only spotted later that they said I could also claim on, so I received £30 of JL vouchers too).  I'm still really glad I chose that version as it really suits the camera (to my eyes at least).  Yesterday, I saw an all-black one (ironically, on a shelf in my local John Lewis branch) and it confirmed that the silver & black variant was the right choice for me.  Trivial as it seems, I do try to choose the colour that looks "right" to me - not so much bothered about what others will think of it.

Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to C Sean, 5 months ago

C Sean wrote:

Not with an Olympus 12-40 zoom attached, heck they won't even see the camera at all.

-- hide signature --

Bobby

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 808Gear list
Like?
In reply to Helen, 5 months ago

Helen wrote:

C Sean wrote:

I did similar to yourself (I am also in the UK, and wanted the silver & black version, which as you say has never been particularly widely available in the UK). I did it the easy way and bought it from John Lewis, which had (only) the silver version in stock from pretty much as soon as the GM1 hit the shelves in Britain, so I was very pleased to spot it (turned out handy as there were two Panasonic promotions running on the date I bought it - both official Panasonic ones - the well-known free grip offer but also another one which I only spotted later that they said I could also claim on, so I received £30 of JL vouchers too). I'm still really glad I chose that version as it really suits the camera (to my eyes at least). Yesterday, I saw an all-black one (ironically, on a shelf in my local John Lewis branch) and it confirmed that the silver & black variant was the right choice for me. Trivial as it seems, I do try to choose the colour that looks "right" to me - not so much bothered about what others will think of it.

Interesting: so in the UK they only sell black version, and only silver in the US.  No idea why Panasonic believes that certain markets only want certain colors, especially when it seems to be human nature to want the other color, that's not available.  I wanted a black GX7, but settled for silver (didn't feel like ordering outside the country).  Now I'm glad, as I got accustomed to it, the black now looks strange - as if it's missing something.  Anyway, for the GM-1, I do think silver looks better.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Kirkdi
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

Chris Noble wrote:

Anyone have any information about when the black GM1 will be available from US importers? Several vendors are selling it in the US on Amazon, but I assume they are grey goods. B&H and Adorama are not offering it yet.

I was also looking at the Black GM1 on Amazon and I contacted one of the Sellers that I had purchased my black GX7 with 20 f1.7 kit from and they answered that the GM1 they are selling is a US Model with NSTC Video.

I even responded back to their first reply with the text on the item that shows 25/50p output which would indicate a PAL version but they still claim US NSTC model.

I asked the same when I purchased my GX7 since no one else was selling that camera in black with the 20 f1.7 and I did receive a US model (they sell the 14-42 kit, remove the lens and replace with the 20 f1.7 II).

Sellers name is DavisMAX.

Kirk

Kirkdi's gear list:Kirkdi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to Laszlo13, 5 months ago

Laszlo13 wrote:

Interesting: so in the UK they only sell black version, and only silver in the US. No idea why Panasonic believes that certain markets only want certain colors, especially when it seems to be human nature to want the other color, that's not available. I wanted a black GX7, but settled for silver (didn't feel like ordering outside the country). Now I'm glad, as I got accustomed to it, the black now looks strange - as if it's missing something. Anyway, for the GM-1, I do think silver looks better.

Actually, in the US, both the silver and orange now are available.  (I bought the orange one a couple of months ago from a local dealer).

I didn't care too much for the silver, but I loved the orange from when it was first released.  It makes me smile when I take it out and use it.

I haven't seen the black anywhere here, yet, though.

-J

C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?

Laszlo13 wrote:

Helen wrote:

C Sean wrote:

I did similar to yourself (I am also in the UK, and wanted the silver & black version, which as you say has never been particularly widely available in the UK). I did it the easy way and bought it from John Lewis, which had (only) the silver version in stock from pretty much as soon as the GM1 hit the shelves in Britain, so I was very pleased to spot it (turned out handy as there were two Panasonic promotions running on the date I bought it - both official Panasonic ones - the well-known free grip offer but also another one which I only spotted later that they said I could also claim on, so I received £30 of JL vouchers too). I'm still really glad I chose that version as it really suits the camera (to my eyes at least). Yesterday, I saw an all-black one (ironically, on a shelf in my local John Lewis branch) and it confirmed that the silver & black variant was the right choice for me. Trivial as it seems, I do try to choose the colour that looks "right" to me - not so much bothered about what others will think of it.

Interesting: so in the UK they only sell black version, and only silver in the US. No idea why Panasonic believes that certain markets only want certain colors, especially when it seems to be human nature to want the other color, that's not available. I wanted a black GX7, but settled for silver (didn't feel like ordering outside the country). Now I'm glad, as I got accustomed to it, the black now looks strange - as if it's missing something. Anyway, for the GM-1, I do think silver looks better.

You think that's bad, take a look what the French got.

http://www.amazon.fr/Panasonic-DMC-GM1WEF-S-Appareil-num%C3%A9rique-m%C3%A9gapixels/dp/B00GJLMAAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396727629&sr=8-2&keywords=gm1

I wouldn't be surprise the grip was bundled with the camera aswell.

Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909
Like?

Laszlo13 wrote:

Well, we do get 3 of the colour variants - the "standard" choice, and the one seen most often for sale anywhere, is the all-black.  The orange version has become more widely available than initially (when it was an exclusive for Dixons duty-free shops at airports, and was even excluded from the free grip introductory offer) - I'd say now it's the second most available variant, but numerically quite a way behind the black.  The silver with black leatherette still seems to be the rarest version available, but it can be found if you look around carefully.  The white leatherette version has never been offered in the UK, though.

With the GX7, we've always had the choice of the black or silver, but the black was available initially everywhere, with the silver taking forever to turn up in stock, though it was always expected alongside the black version - but eventually it did appear.

Nkobile
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?

People living in the States can order the black GM1 from Canada. Henry's is the best store in Canada for that. Several people on the forum have done so already.

Nkobile's gear list:Nkobile's gear list
Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Brian Lavoie
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nkobile, 5 months ago

Yes it is available in Canada. I wish the orange was available, B andH was even charging more for the orange one a couple of weeks ago.

Brian Lavoie's gear list:Brian Lavoie's gear list
Leica V-Lux 20 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Kameraphil
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?

Yes, black is beautiful, even when naked!

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,707Gear list
Like?
another good source at better prices ...

Nkobile wrote:

People living in the States can order the black GM1 from Canada. Henry's is the best store in Canada for that. Several people on the forum have done so already.

I bought this one for 740cad ... pretty cheap for Americans ...

Black GM1 from BJPhoto

They are still selling it at the same price and the LR5 bundle is still included. They have apparently added Elements 11 as well. Not a bad deal ...

Here is mine with the Franiec grip installed ... one handed operation is now possible, even easy.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,518Gear list
Like?

Nkobile wrote:

Yep, I got my black GX7 from Aden Camera in Ontario back in October.

I still can't believe that black GM1s still aren't available in the US.

I wouldn't mind getting one if for the 12-32mm lens alone.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Chris Noble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kameraphil, 5 months ago

Kameraphil wrote:

Yes, black is beautiful, even when naked!

What strap do you have on it?

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 848Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 5 months ago

Nkobile wrote:

Yep, I got my black GX7 from Aden Camera in Ontario back in October.

I still can't believe that black GM1s still aren't available in the US.

I wouldn't mind getting one if for the 12-32mm lens alone.

The lens is now widely available by itself in either color.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,220Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 5 months ago

It strikes me that the GM1 with the 12-32 is not a bad deal. The price at Henry's in Canada is $769 at Henrys (Aden is $775, and I prefer Henrys) But these prices are in Canadian dollars which is only 90 cents on the American dollar right now, so you get roughly 10% off. If I wasn't saving my nickles for a 7-14mm...

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,220Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 5 months ago

Oops - missed Kim's post. Henry's will price match. Am not sure about Lightroom.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Kirkdi
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: another good source at better prices ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 5 months ago

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Nkobile wrote:

Black GM1 from BJPhoto

They are still selling it at the same price and the LR5 bundle is still included. They have apparently added Elements 11 as well. Not a bad deal ...

Here is mine with the Franiec grip installed ... one handed operation is now possible, even easy.

-- hide signature --

That is a good deal, extra $25 for shipping but still very good price for just the camera without the extra software you also receive, so that' and extra bonus.

I have not used Light Room yet but that might be good to have.

Just comparing Raw Conversion is LR one of the better options or is there other software to consider?

Kirk

Kirkdi's gear list:Kirkdi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,707Gear list
Like?
Re: another good source at better prices ...
In reply to Kirkdi, 5 months ago

Kirkdi wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Nkobile wrote:

Black GM1 from BJPhoto

-- hide signature --

That is a good deal, extra $25 for shipping but still very good price for just the camera without the extra software you also receive, so that' and extra bonus.

I have not used Light Room yet but that might be good to have.

Just comparing Raw Conversion is LR one of the better options or is there other software to consider?

Lightroom is as good as it gets. Same converter as the very expensive Photoshop.

If you don't already have Lightroom, this is a $149 value thrown in ... I ended up selling mine for 98usd, which reduced the total cost of my GM1 considerably.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads