Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226
Like?
Re: Do I really need Raw
In reply to Brue, 8 months ago

Brue wrote:

I prefer to use RAW.

One thing I've noticed in many discussions on this subject is that many times people are using versions of RAW converters that don't actually support the camera they are using and that just creates more work.

Here are 2 pics, the 1st is sooc and the 2nd is the RAW conversion using LightRoom with only a few seconds work, definitely not minutes

SOOC

Raw Conversion

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for posting the comparisons. But although they illustrate how raw files can be adjusted to reveal greater highlight detail, I personally prefer the SOOC picture, which reveals more detail in the shadows, especially in the foreground, where presumably the main subjects of the interesting photograph are located.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Beavin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,814Gear list
Like?
In reply to phototransformations, 8 months ago

In reply to both you and Brue the shots you both posted are bin material, I have to say if I continually  produced images like those, I would probably be a raw fan too, or at least would be looking for a new camera. To be fair you were trying to demonstrate the advantage of raw, sadly it confirmed my opinion that it is more a pixel peepers gimmick than a useful tool.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 +1 more
Brue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
In reply to John Beavin, 8 months ago

John Beavin wrote:

In reply to both you and Brue the shots you both posted are bin material,

At Least it turned to this:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=825454&View=Results&Rows=4

Brue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

I found what you said a little offensive, arrogant, ...

I shot manual most of the time and basically use the jpegs to find the RAW to open and process. Shooting manual I just pick an aperture, always shot 80 iso, make sure the exposure is what I want, try to focus and then I find the raw version, using adjustments, seems to be able to get closer to what I was seeing then most, not all, jpegs . RAW is truly the most digital version of what a digital camera is giving you, 58.

Thanks Bruce

kiwigirl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,375Gear list
Like?

I've tried a number of times to shoot Raw with my FZ50.  Each time I've found processing of the Raw files almost quicker than the time it takes the camera to WRITE to the card.  FZ50 is just too slow to be practical and jpegs were 'good enough' for me.

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +5 more
John Beavin
Like?

I didn't mean to be offensive Brue, but your Blackbird shot was against the light, making a good exposure difficult, I would have taken it with a variety of settings, or come back on a day when that window light wasn't there, I am sure you could have got a better shot, of course I do not know the circumstances at the time.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 +1 more
John Beavin
Like?

Hope you don't mind, tickled your pic up in Photoscape.

phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,808Gear list
Like?

John Beavin wrote:

In reply to both you and Brue the shots you both posted are bin material, I have to say if I continually produced images like those, I would probably be a raw fan too, or at least would be looking for a new camera. To be fair you were trying to demonstrate the advantage of raw, sadly it confirmed my opinion that it is more a pixel peepers gimmick than a useful tool.

This was a grab out the window taken specifically to see if there was much highlight recovery possible in my LX7's RAW files. (There was almost two f-stops.) It's a test shot, not a photograph. To call it "bin material" is like calling the studio shots dpreview takes "bin material." I thought I'd made the purpose of that shot clear, but perhaps you are so fixed in your belief that RAW is not worth it that you missed the point.

Have fun with your JPEGs.

David

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
nicodimus22
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?

John Beavin wrote:

In reply to both you and Brue the shots you both posted are bin material, I have to say if I continually produced images like those, I would probably be a raw fan too, or at least would be looking for a new camera. To be fair you were trying to demonstrate the advantage of raw, sadly it confirmed my opinion that it is more a pixel peepers gimmick than a useful tool.

Suggestion:

Close this thread.

Shoot JPEG.

-- hide signature --

Constructive criticism is always welcome. It's a great way to learn.

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +3 more
Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226
Like?
In reply to nicodimus22, 8 months ago

Of the 4 different takes on the SR71, I still prefer the SOOC shot, as the heavier shadows in the other versions, though creating interesting patterns, intrude more confusingly on the main subjects. But that is judging it as reportage alone, not on IQ or artistic merit.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Darrell Spreen
Forum ProPosts: 10,119
Like?
We really need to stop..

Brue wrote:

Here are 2 pics, the 1st is sooc and the 2nd is the RAW conversion using LightRoom with only a few seconds work, definitely not minutes

....comparing sooc with raw conversions. What's the point of such a comparison? It's an intentionally biased result.

There are dozens of adjustments you can make to JPEGs to improve image quality over the sooc shot and that would then be a fair comparison. If the emphasis is on image quality, it's only reasonable to assume that an image editor would be used to fine-tune a JPEG -- just like a raw image. That's the only comparison that means anything.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,421Gear list
Like?
In reply to phototransformations, 8 months ago

For a number of years I got into RAW and really enjoyed the process of using Lightroom and Photoshop. I was convinced it was the only way to go.  Plus, it reminded me of my darkroom days. As the iPad became more a part of my workflow, and because it doesn't really process raw, I have gone back to shooting extensively in jpg. I am pretty satisfied with the IQ of the jpgs produced by my ZS25/40, LX7 and FZ50. Any tweaking of highlights, shadows, sharpening and color I can do so with Photogene without too much image degradation. I may go back again, but probably not. An added benefit is I don't have to keep buying larger and larger hard drives to keep all those huge raw files.

Take care,

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot G11 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to danielsonkin, 8 months ago

danielsonkin wrote:

For a number of years I got into RAW and really enjoyed the process of using Lightroom and Photoshop. I was convinced it was the only way to go. Plus, it reminded me of my darkroom days. As the iPad became more a part of my workflow, and because it doesn't really process raw, I have gone back to shooting extensively in jpg. I am pretty satisfied with the IQ of the jpgs produced by my ZS25/40, LX7 and FZ50. Any tweaking of highlights, shadows, sharpening and color I can do so with Photogene without too much image degradation. I may go back again, but probably not. An added benefit is I don't have to keep buying larger and larger hard drives to keep all those huge raw files.

Take care,

Daniel

Daniel,

If you're looking for better quality (storage as uncompressed TIFF rather than high-compression JPG) you might want to look at PureShot

http://iphone.appstorm.net/reviews/lifestyle/take-better-pictures-with-pureshot/

Also appears to have more flexibility than most of the other photo apps.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads