My new Nikon 85mm f1.8G

Started 6 months ago | Photos
pabradley
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
My new Nikon 85mm f1.8G
6 months ago

Hello everybody, I am just dropping by to say how much I love my new Nikon 85mm f1.8G! I received it a week before shooting my wife's maternity pictures and it is a keeper on my D7100!

All of the pictures have been compressed to 6MPs.

Thank you for looking!

Still produces very nice pictures at f1.8!

-- hide signature --
 pabradley's gear list:pabradley's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
Re: My new Nikon 85mm f1.8G
In reply to pabradley, 6 months ago

Great lens, awesome pics from it.

Looks like you are going to have two new things, to be delighted over, real soon.

Congrats on them both, her too...

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photofunster, 6 months ago

Photofunster wrote:

Great lens, awesome pics from it.

Looks like you are going to have two new things, to be delighted over, real soon.

Congrats on them both, her too...

Chas

You echo my sentiments exactly! Wonderful times now and ahead... 

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df
Redlegvzv
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
In reply to Felts, 6 months ago

My advice: take a lot of pictures!  Great photos and subject.

-- hide signature --

Redlegvzv

pabradley
Like?
In reply to Redlegvzv, 6 months ago

Thanks everyone! I have a feeling the camera is about to have a lot of work this summer when she gets here haha.

-- hide signature --
Dave Ingraham
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?

This shot is lovely! I can't wait to get my 85 f/1.8. It's on order but Adorama tells me they don't have any idea when they'll get more in

Dave Ingraham's gear list:Dave Ingraham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Norsketorsken
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?

Great shots, I feel inspired for when my own better half is that far along in the pregnancy. The second shot is especially nice.

In the third shot though, it looks like you have a slight frontfocus issue. Assuming you focused on her eyes of course. The face is a bit blurry, and her elbow looks like it's in perfect focus.

Norsketorsken's gear list:Norsketorsken's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +5 more
antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?
Some threads here are a......

waste of everyone's time on DP review.

This though is the sort of thread which keeps me coming back

time and again.

Real gear being used to make great photographs, thanks for sharing

and all the best to the both of you.

You have a lot to smile about.

Cheers

Tony

Mach Schnell
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
Like?
Be mindful of the focus

It looks like the 1st and 3rd photos were focused on her belly and not her eyes.  In the apertures you were shooting (f/1.8 to f/2.8) the depth of field with that lens is quite limited.  When a person is the subject of the image you nearly always want to focus on the closest eye.

Nice shots either way.

pabradley
Like?
Re: Be mindful of the focus
In reply to Mach Schnell, 6 months ago

Thanks again for all of the great comments!

I started to pick up that the lens might be front or back focusing or my technique could be off. I've only had my D7100 since October 2013 and the lens since March 27th so I am definitely still learning. I used AFC single point and AF-ON back button. I moved the focus point to her eye to focus and then take the shot (I didn't use center focus point). Just about every shot I would do that to make sure to have her eyes in focus since I was using a pretty narrow DOF. Please comment if there is something I am doing wrong with this technique.

Mach Schnell, I was definitely worried about having not enough DOF. I used a DOF calculator that said I should have a little over a foot of DOF at the distance I was standing (about 15-20ft) at f2.8. I really wanted to test out the bokah that this lens is capable of producing that I have read about so I used large apertures. I did take a picture of her and I at f4 that still had really nice bokah.

Saturday I exchanged the lens and have a new one coming in. Not because of the possible front focusing, but because I noticed two pretty large particles in the lens. I almost talked myself out of exchanging it because I didn't notice the particles in the pictures or test pictures I took. I figured, might as well since I was still in the return policy.

When the new lens comes in I will do more scientific front/back focusing tests and then hopefully fix that with the camera.

Dave Ingraham, I bought and exchanged my lens through Best Buy which still looks like they have it in stock.

Thanks all!

-Patrick
My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99947782@N07/

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266
Like?
In reply to Photofunster, 6 months ago

Photofunster wrote:

Maybe I missed it, did he say he is getting another lens?

pabradley
Like?
In reply to clarnibass, 6 months ago

clarnibass wrote:

Photofunster wrote:

Maybe I missed it, did he say he is getting another lens?

I hope he isn't a physic and somehow knows I am having twins! haha. I think one is all I can handle right now.

-- hide signature --
Chips Pringle
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: Be mindful of the focus

Thanks again for all of the great comments!

I started to pick up that the lens might be front or back focusing or my technique could be off. I've only had my D7100 since October 2013 and the lens since March 27th so I am definitely still learning. I used AFC single point and AF-ON back button. I moved the focus point to her eye to focus and then take the shot (I didn't use center focus point). Just about every shot I would do that to make sure to have her eyes in focus since I was using a pretty narrow DOF. Please comment if there is something I am doing wrong with this technique.

Mach Schnell, I was definitely worried about having not enough DOF. I used a DOF calculator that said I should have a little over a foot of DOF at the distance I was standing (about 15-20ft) at f2.8. I really wanted to test out the bokah that this lens is capable of producing that I have read about so I used large apertures. I did take a picture of her and I at f4 that still had really nice bokah.

Saturday I exchanged the lens and have a new one coming in. Not because of the possible front focusing, but because I noticed two pretty large particles in the lens. I almost talked myself out of exchanging it because I didn't notice the particles in the pictures or test pictures I took. I figured, might as well since I was still in the return policy.

When the new lens comes in I will do more scientific front/back focusing tests and then hopefully fix that with the camera.

Dave Ingraham, I bought and exchanged my lens through Best Buy which still looks like they have it in stock.

Thanks all!

-Patrick
My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99947782@N07/

From all of my research I would suggest using AFS rather than AFC. For stills and portraits you want single point focus not continuous focus.
--
Chip

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads