My dream full-frame camera.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
robin t
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
My dream full-frame camera.
8 months ago

Basically like an old nikon or nikkormat with a sensor in it.

No screen of any kind - you can't see the image till you get home and upload it.
Indicator in the viewfinder for light meter.
Manual shutter wind.
Full manual controls, and works with legacy manual lenses.
Full frame sensor.

Hopefully this would allow for much better battery life than the new full frame cameras, as well as a much smaller form factor.

I guess this comes from looking at all my old prints and pining for the days of film SLRs. While I wouldn't want to have to process film anymore, I don't understand why, in 2014, you can buy a full-frame digital camera for anywhere near the price I bought my already 20 year old nikkormat ft2 for in 1994.

The astonishing thing is that old film cameras, despite having a relatively massive roll of film in them, win out in almost every comparison that matters to me.

1974 Nikkormat FT2 vs 2014 Nikon D610

Weight: FT2 wins
Battery Life: FT2 slaughters
Image quality: equal
Indestructibility: FT2 by miles
Price: FT2 
Quality glass at a reasonable price: FT2
Fun to use: FT2 in a landslide

So why can't we get back to this? A camera with nothing other than light meter, lens, optical viewfinder, and battery indicator. Get home, stick the SD card in your computer and see what you got.

Tell me why I'm wrong and I'll cave in and buy that new Nikon. . .

Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 (Lumix DMC-FT2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
Maths and Rose Colored Glasses
In reply to robin t, 8 months ago

I don't understand why, in 2014, you can buy a full-frame digital camera for anywhere near the price I bought my already 20 year old nikkormat ft2 for in 1994.

From Wikipedia :

The Nikon F with Nikkor 50 mm f/2 lens had a list price of US$359.50 in 1959

OK, those are 1959 dollars so allowing for inflation that equates to between $2180 and $11,200 in 2012 dollars depending on how you measure worth.

http://www.measuringworth.com

Now lets look at B&H today and what do we see : the D610 body only for $1895 and the Nikon 509mm f1.8G for $216. That's a total of $2111.

That's LESS than the lowest possible equivalent price of the Nikon F with a fast 50mm in todays money.

And the D610 and 50mm f1.8G are streets better in terms of performance and capability.

So those Rose colored spectacles of yours don't see things properly.

So why can't we get back to this? A camera with nothing other than light meter, lens, optical viewfinder, and battery indicator. Get home, stick the SD card in your computer and see what you got.

Because no one wants one when they could have a D610 instad.

And the D610 isn't the cheapest full frame. The Sony A7 full frame MILC is cheaper.

Get over the twentieth century. It's been dead a while now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Re: My dream full-frame camera.

You don't have to use the LCD or other screens... mine is turned off and only use it, when "chimping". But I like to check, if the shot was nailed at site.

Alas, I'm surprised again and again, when looking through shots, once at home (rolls eyes)

Better battery life? I don't know... haven't still been able to "kill" a battery out there. More than 1000 shots per charge...

Image qulity = equal? I don't believe you!

And if you want a weight winner, just replace the D600 with a D800!

Will also increase the fun part...

Happy Hunting!

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,713
Like?

Buy a Sony A7. Cover the LCD with a bit of card. Don't, whatever you do, look through the viewfinder.

Use it with Nikon AI lenses. Or Olympus OM lenses. Or Topcors. Or whatever SLR lenses you like.

That gives you everything you want except manual film wind (which my Nikon F3 doesn't have either).

It also gives you much better image quality than any 35mm film above ISO 10.

Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?

robin t wrote:

No screen of any kind - you can't see the image till you get home and upload it.
Manual shutter wind.
Full frame sensor.

Hopefully this would allow for much better battery life than the new full frame cameras, as well as a much smaller form factor.

I guess this comes from looking at all my old prints and pining for the days of film SLRs. While I wouldn't want to have to process film anymore, I don't understand why, in 2014, you can buy a full-frame digital camera for anywhere near the price I bought my already 20 year old nikkormat ft2 for in 1994.

The astonishing thing is that old film cameras, despite having a relatively massive roll of film in them, win out in almost every comparison that matters to me.

I agree 100%. This is what I hoped the df was going to be.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
stan_pustylnik
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,459Gear list
Like?
it would be Sony A850 + video

I own Sony A850 FF camera that I like very mush as a photographic tool. But It doesn't have video.

Next generation of Sony FF (A99) doesn't have OVF, A7r doesn't have (SSS).

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha 7 II
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
And we thought Nikon's current management was poor
In reply to Rservello, 8 months ago

And presumably a time travel device to sell these, because they won't sell now.

Jack Hass
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?

I agree, lets shoot freely without chimping or any other digital help, keep it as simple as possible. There's nothing more satisfying than getting that SD card home and seeing 250 back focused shots that have blown highlights.

-- hide signature --

May Satan forever guide you.

Rservello
Like?
Re: And we thought Nikon's current management was poor
In reply to darklamp, 8 months ago

darklamp wrote:

And presumably a time travel device to sell these, because they won't sell now.

They would sell. There are still people that shoot photography for the enjoyment of mastering an art...not for the ability just to show off cool pics on facebook...or do it for a living. Would they sell for $3000....not a chance in hell. But a D610 with no LCD or auto features shouldn't cost nearly as much to produce...so it should put it into the cost range of a D7100 with the IQ of a D610. If I could get my old Canon AE-1 with a digital sensor back I would be ALL IN!

I personally shoot 100% manual and never look at the meter.  I do look at the histogram in order to make sure I am exposing evenly on a test shot, but after that I just shoot and look later.

-- hide signature --

* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
stan_pustylnik
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,459Gear list
Like?
I agree 100%!
In reply to Jack Hass, 8 months ago

Jack Hass wrote:

I agree, lets shoot freely without chimping or any other digital help, keep it as simple as possible. There's nothing more satisfying than getting that SD card home and seeing 250 back focused shots that have blown highlights.

-- hide signature --

Ahahaha!

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha 7 II
Rservello
Like?

Jack Hass wrote:

-- hide signature --

If you are that bad at manual focus and require auto everything to shoot...maybe you should consider a point and shoot and leave the bulky DSLR at home?

-- hide signature --

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,454
Like?
yuck

Why would anyone want that? Lets throw away 60 years of progress. Why not just buy an old film SLR and develop in the darkroom? Which, if you truly want the old-time experience, would be the only ethical way to go.

By the way, I've been shooting for about 50 years now . . . and I don't get this yearning for the past.

-- hide signature --

professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally

Rservello
Like?
Re: yuck
In reply to tko, 8 months ago

tko wrote:

Why would anyone want that? Lets throw away 60 years of progress. Why not just buy an old film SLR and develop in the darkroom? Which, if you truly want the old-time experience, would be the only ethical way to go.

By the way, I've been shooting for about 50 years now . . . and I don't get this yearning for the past.

-- hide signature --

professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally

It's not about yearning for the past...its about an elegant approach to current tech.  Nobody is saying to go back to the old days of low quality high iso exposures, and developing in the dark room (but man I do miss that)...it's more about taking away the 600 computer features in the camera and having a nice weekend camera that just takes pictures...and nothing else.  Leica is the only one that is at least coming close...but they charge WAY too much for their gear.  If Fuji offered a full frame XT-1 that would be a really nice step forward in the right direction.

-- hide signature --

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

robin t wrote:

Main reason is that Nikon could probably only sell about 10.  That being the case, the cost to manufacture those 10 cameras would be astronomical.  Would you be willing to pay the price?

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?

Jack Hass wrote:

I never chimp and have never had that problem.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,724Gear list
Like?

robin t wrote:

Manual shutter wind.
Full frame sensor.

Buy a film camera - that's what you're describing. You essentially taking away all the adavantages of digital by your description.

Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,253Gear list
Like?

robin t wrote:

So why can't we get back to this?

Because two of them are dead false, IMHO - Image quality and fun to use.

The image quality of film was pretty horrible unless you were shooting at ISO 100 or below (ISO 400 film was the red-line for me, while ISO 12,800 is the red-line in digital for me).  And modern digitals have three distinct features that just crush old film systems for fun to use for me - ability to change ISO on the fly, tracking autofocus, and image stabilization.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Rservello
Like?
In reply to Lee Jay, 8 months ago

Lee Jay wrote:

robin t wrote:

The image quality of film was pretty horrible unless you were shooting at ISO 100 or below (ISO 400 film was the red-line for me, while ISO 12,800 is the red-line in digital for me). And modern digitals have three distinct features that just crush old film systems for fun to use for me - ability to change ISO on the fly, tracking autofocus, and image stabilization.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

For me, the reason I would want this is because of high ISO...the ability to shift ISO as a part of exposure selection as needed, and IQ.  People love to glamorize the ability of film....but honestly...film can't compare in low light, hand held.  Sure you could get an image but it would have massive motion blur and be grainy as hell.  Digital has the distinct advantage of high speed low light ability.  You can keep your auto anything.  I just want to shoot like a film camera with the quality of digital.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rservello, 8 months ago

Rservello wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

robin t wrote:

The image quality of film was pretty horrible unless you were shooting at ISO 100 or below (ISO 400 film was the red-line for me, while ISO 12,800 is the red-line in digital for me). And modern digitals have three distinct features that just crush old film systems for fun to use for me - ability to change ISO on the fly, tracking autofocus, and image stabilization.

For me, the reason I would want this is because of high ISO...the ability to shift ISO as a part of exposure selection as needed, and IQ. People love to glamorize the ability of film....but honestly...film can't compare in low light, hand held. Sure you could get an image but it would have massive motion blur and be grainy as hell. Digital has the distinct advantage of high speed low light ability. You can keep your auto anything. I just want to shoot like a film camera with the quality of digital.

90+% of what I shoot are moving targets, so tracking AF is a huge, huge advantage over the manual focus of my AE-1.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Rservello
Like?
In reply to Lee Jay, 8 months ago

Lee Jay wrote:

Rservello wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

robin t wrote:

For me, the reason I would want this is because of high ISO...the ability to shift ISO as a part of exposure selection as needed, and IQ. People love to glamorize the ability of film....but honestly...film can't compare in low light, hand held. Sure you could get an image but it would have massive motion blur and be grainy as hell. Digital has the distinct advantage of high speed low light ability. You can keep your auto anything. I just want to shoot like a film camera with the quality of digital.

90+% of what I shoot are moving targets, so tracking AF is a huge, huge advantage over the manual focus of my AE-1.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

That would be your case use.  But for someone that only shoots portraits, or still lifes, or even studio work....that would be very different.  Again, you can have a D4s for high speed and a Leica M9 for weekend fun.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads