Anyone change the focusing screen on their D4?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
Anyone change the focusing screen on their D4?
5 months ago

I changed the focusing screens on my D800 and Df to matte screens and am very happy with the results.

I want to do the same with my D4 but can't seem to find anything about that - anyone changed theirs?

Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
inasir1971
Like?
Please disregard - duplicate thread.
In reply to inasir1971, 5 months ago

Moderator, if you can please delete this thread. Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kpatel55
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone change the focusing screen on their D4?

Any Problem  for auto focus after you change the screen?

inasir1971
Like?
In reply to Kpatel55, 5 months ago

Kpatel55 wrote:

Any Problem for auto focus after you change the screen?

Here's a summary if you're interested:

No problems with AF or on screen display functionality with either Df or D800.

I used the matte type screen (type 'S' from focusingscreens.com) and the only effect of this is on metering where it exposes slightly more, I'm guessing by around 0.5-0.7 EV.  I have read that use of non-matte screens like split prism screens can affect spot metering at that location but IMO the type 'S' matte screen is sufficient.

It may be necessary to use the shims to calibrate the screen perfectly - both my cameras needed 1 shim (2 supplied with each screen).

Viewfinder works great and shows focus with fast lenses (f/1.4, f/2), slightly darker with f/2.8 lenses, and certainly darker with slow lenses like my 80-400/4.5-5.6 - though still usable in bright conditions like daylight. I wouldn't recommend it for people who regularly use f/4 lenses...

The upside of this is that manually focusing fast lenses (like the Ais 50/1.2, 35/1.4, and 85/1.4) is actually easy and accurate. You can also much better see what you're doing with the PC-E lenses through the viewfinder.

NinjaBenja
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

inasir1971 wrote:

Kpatel55 wrote:

Hey this is great. I'm actually looking at getting a screen for my Df from focusingscreen.com. I have been going back and forth between the Ec-b and the Type-S. I like having the 12mm center weighted reference circle, and I really like the split prism (sorta feels like home. my first camera was a minolta XE-5). The minolta screen was much more like the K3 with split prism center, micro prisim outer ring then a larger 12mm reference ring and matte background. Too bad they don't make a K3 for the Df.

So like I said I like the Ec-b... but I can see the benifit of the Type-S it would be nice to have a screen that actually shows DOF greater than 2.8 although I think it'd be nicer if it had a reference like a split prism or something especially for lower light where the images may not pop as notably.

Here's my question. Supposedly the Df has a 100% focus screen. I think that means that the default focus screen in the view finder shows 100% what the image will take. I've read that the screens you buy like the k3, Ec-b, F6-a, Type-S are slightly smaller than the stock focus screen, therefore do not show 100%. Have you found this to be true? Also if so, did that cause any issues with installing a smaller screen?

thanks,

Ben

nightmedia
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

inasir1971 wrote:

Kpatel55 wrote:

I used the matte type screen (type 'S' from focusingscreens.com) and the only effect of this is on metering where it exposes slightly more, I'm guessing by around 0.5-0.7 EV. I have read that use of non-matte screens like split prism screens can affect spot metering at that location but IMO the type 'S' matte screen is sufficient.

It may be necessary to use the shims to calibrate the screen perfectly - both my cameras needed 1 shim (2 supplied with each screen).

Viewfinder works great and shows focus with fast lenses (f/1.4, f/2), slightly darker with f/2.8 lenses, and certainly darker with slow lenses like my 80-400/4.5-5.6 - though still usable in bright conditions like daylight. I wouldn't recommend it for people who regularly use f/4 lenses...

The upside of this is that manually focusing fast lenses (like the Ais 50/1.2, 35/1.4, and 85/1.4) is actually easy and accurate. You can also much better see what you're doing with the PC-E lenses through the viewfinder.

Second that S-type screen, I got one for the D800 and it is really great. You might want to check with the company, they did not send me any adjustment shims in the package, and I had to make do, padding the existing shim with scotch tape until I got it to focus perfectly.

I think the rendering in the viewfinder is about F/1.8, not quite F/1.4, but still very much better than the standard screen.

-- hide signature --
 nightmedia's gear list:nightmedia's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
inasir1971
Like?
In reply to NinjaBenja, 5 months ago

NinjaBenja wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

Kpatel55 wrote:

Hey this is great. I'm actually looking at getting a screen for my Df from focusingscreen.com. I have been going back and forth between the Ec-b and the Type-S. I like having the 12mm center weighted reference circle, and I really like the split prism (sorta feels like home. my first camera was a minolta XE-5). The minolta screen was much more like the K3 with split prism center, micro prisim outer ring then a larger 12mm reference ring and matte background. Too bad they don't make a K3 for the Df.

So like I said I like the Ec-b... but I can see the benifit of the Type-S it would be nice to have a screen that actually shows DOF greater than 2.8 although I think it'd be nicer if it had a reference like a split prism or something especially for lower light where the images may not pop as notably.

Here's my question. Supposedly the Df has a 100% focus screen. I think that means that the default focus screen in the view finder shows 100% what the image will take. I've read that the screens you buy like the k3, Ec-b, F6-a, Type-S are slightly smaller than the stock focus screen, therefore do not show 100%. Have you found this to be true? Also if so, did that cause any issues with installing a smaller screen?

thanks,

Ben

I had my local camera store technician fit the screen (fitted while I waited) so I didn't compare the screens before they were fitted. They didn't mention anything to me which I imagine they would have done were they of a different size.

Once installed, they look perfect and as far as I can tell show 100% as before.

Maybe the size difference applies to some DX cameras as Canon use a 1.6 crop for their APS-C vs the 1.5 used by Nikon?

If you go for anything other than the type 'S', the spot metering under the area with the split prism/different pattern may meter differently from some user accounts that I have read. Don't know about this but since the matrix metering sensor is used in some AF modes (eg. 3D tracking) that may be affected as well but haven't seen any comments about that.

Btw, focusingscreens.com do give you everything you would need to fit the screen yourself though I think it s better to have someone who is familiar with the procedure do it since they are easily damaged. My original screens were spot on but the replacements both needed 1 shim so I would plan on checking accuracy after installation and adding shims if needed.

NinjaBenja
Like?

Once installed, they look perfect and as far as I can tell show 100% as before.

good to know!!

If you go for anything other than the type 'S', the spot metering under the area with the split prism/different pattern may meter differently from some user accounts that I have read. Don't know about this but since the matrix metering sensor is used in some AF modes (eg. 3D tracking) that may be affected as well but haven't seen any comments about that.

I have heard that as well. However from my understanding center weighted metering and matrix aren't really affected. so as long as you choose center weighted it should be ok... Also I think spot metering is only effected in slower lenses. If you had a zoom lens where the max aperture was 4, or 5.6 then you'd have a hard time using spot metering since the lower light transmission would black out the split focuser.  That being said it would also make the split prism impossible to use since its not a large enough aperture to effectively use a split prism on. the only other time you'd have an issue is if you were using a MF lens that required you to stop it down in order to meter correctly. With the Df you have the ability to enter in a lens in memory then set the aperture with the ring (then tell the camera what aperture you on with the wheel). thereby eliminating the need to stop down the the lens to meter. In theory the camera should take the light entering the lens at the spot section, then make a mathematical adjustment based on what you told the camera the set aperture will be and meter to that without you needing to stop it down. so it shouldn't really effect the spot metering.... i could be wrong and in reality I'm not TOO concerned about it

NinjaBenja
Like?
In reply to nightmedia, 5 months ago

I think the rendering in the viewfinder is about F/1.8, not quite F/1.4, but still very much better than the standard screen.

Interesting.... hmmm I thought it would go all the way to 1.2, but perhaps not the case? I was thinking it would be good for the Nikon MF 50mm f1.2 .... hmmm interesting. 1.8 is still a lot better than 2.8

inasir1971
Like?
In reply to nightmedia, 5 months ago

nightmedia wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

Kpatel55 wrote:

I used the matte type screen (type 'S' from focusingscreens.com) and the only effect of this is on metering where it exposes slightly more, I'm guessing by around 0.5-0.7 EV. I have read that use of non-matte screens like split prism screens can affect spot metering at that location but IMO the type 'S' matte screen is sufficient.

Second that S-type screen, I got one for the D800 and it is really great. You might want to check with the company, they did not send me any adjustment shims in the package, and I had to make do, padding the existing shim with scotch tape until I got it to focus perfectly.

-- hide signature --

I received two shims with each of my focusing screens (as well as some tools)...

focusingscreens.com package contents. packet on left contains two shims

I also find that after changing the screens on both, the Df is easier to focus than the D800.

nightmedia
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?

Yeah, got the tools too, but the shims were missing.

nightmedia's gear list:nightmedia's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads