Jobu Jnr or Jobu PRO2 Gimbal for 80-400mmG on D800 ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
exRhodesian
Regular MemberPosts: 282
Like?
Jobu Jnr or Jobu PRO2 Gimbal for 80-400mmG on D800 ?
4 months ago

Hi,

Would the 80-400mm +D800 work okay on the Jobu Pro2 gimbal or would it be better to go for the Jobu Junior ? One never knows if one gets a larger lens in future which is why I'm considering the Pro2.

I'm also upgrading my early-90's Manfrotto 055 steel tripod to a new Gitzo 5542LS to use with the gimbal - the gitzo should be far more stable. Anyone had problems with the 5542LS ?

Will the Jobu Pro2 be okay with for 80-400mm or better getting the Jobu Jnr gimbal ?

Thanks,

Adrian

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,754Gear list
Like?
Re: Jobu Jnr or Jobu PRO2 Gimbal for 80-400mmG on D800 ?
In reply to exRhodesian, 4 months ago

The Jr is more than enough for the 80-400. Fellows us the Jr with a 500.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 4 months ago

Thanks   - my main concern is just incase I manage to get a 500mm / 600mm in the future and am left with the Junior.

I've read from one Jobu owner that one should not use the 80-400mm on the Jubo PRO-2 as he says that the lens + D800 is not heavy enough .

Would the PRO-2 work okay with the D800 + 80-400mm ?

Thanks,

Adrian

T O Shooter
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Thanks - my main concern is just incase I manage to get a 500mm / 600mm in the future and am left with the Junior.

I've read from one Jobu owner that one should not use the 80-400mm on the Jubo PRO-2 as he says that the lens + D800 is not heavy enough .

Thanks,

Adrian

I'll try that combo on mine this evening. Problem I have with the bigger one is the size of it.  I'd rather leave it home than take it. If you were going to a 500 I'd say the Jr is enough. 600 probably not

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
exRhodesian
Like?

The dealer has 3 of the Jobu gimbals in stock  - the Junior, the MKIII Heavy Duty version and the PRO-2 and I have to decide which one   - I haven't seen them yet.

You commenting on the size of the Pro-2 I'll have to take that into consideration when trying them out. I'm also getting the Gitzo 5542LS from the same guy so I'll try them out all on the 5542LS.  To be honest with you , due to the cost, I doubt if I'll ever get a 500mm/600mm so perhaps the 80-400mm eill be the largest lens I'll have.

Thanks,

Adrian

Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi,

Would the 80-400mm +D800 work okay on the Jobu Pro2 gimbal or would it be better to go for the Jobu Junior ? One never knows if one gets a larger lens in future which is why I'm considering the Pro2.

I'm also upgrading my early-90's Manfrotto 055 steel tripod to a new Gitzo 5542LS to use with the gimbal - the gitzo should be far more stable. Anyone had problems with the 5542LS ?

Will the Jobu Pro2 be okay with for 80-400mm or better getting the Jobu Jnr gimbal ?

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian,

I have no experience with the Jobu gimbals but if you are upgrading to a 'stella' tripod, then why skimp on the gimbal. The specs on the Jr look a bit light for upgrading to a 500mm F4. I am surprised though that you are finding the 055 tripod not good enough for your new 80-400G. A lot depends on what you are shooting

For what it's worth - here is my experience. I got my 80-400G a year ago and paired it up with a 12 year old manfroto 055 pro. I then bought a Benro gimbal head which is cheaper than Jobu's etc. It works fine for my use - shooting birds - with no stabiity problems at all. The first thing I would look at if any instability is the collar and foot - although some have reported you dont need the Kirk (or RSS) foot. I did not need to. Most of my 20K shots with the 80-400G though have been hand held so for me, it has certainly not been worth blowing £1500 on a top of the range tripod.

A month ago I bought a 500mm F4 and thought I needed to go for a 5 series Gitzo. After a few days testing I worked out that the manfroto 055/benro gimbal was fine as long as I kept above 1/200 sec shutter speed. A month on, I am using the tripod/gimbal in the garden hide with shutter speeds around 1/500 when the light is bad. Maybe if I need to shoot birds in very poor light (dusk etc) then a better tripod is needed. What I have found though is that it is not that difficult to hand hold the 500m so i have bought a monopod and have relegated the tripod just to the garden hide.

Bottom line - getting a gimbal was very worth it. A big benefit for shooting birds, but for me, I dont need the stability of the series 5 Gitzo .....yet! - the manfroto 055 is working well.

Andy

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/waterfowl/h61fe168c#h20c1b1f5

-- hide signature --

Andy

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

I personally have the Jr with the 200-400mm and have tried it with the 500 and 600mm as well.

It will support all of them.

I have also tried out the Pro-2 with the 600mm - it is a smoother action with the Pro-2 - much easier to track with the Pro-2 than the Jr. The Jr was either too tight or too loose - I could never dial in the right resistance for easy tracking.

So to me, its was never really about the support - it was more about the size and the movement of the arms. You are basically trading size for tracking feel. The bigger heads have a smoother action but take more space and weight in your bag.

exRhodesian wrote:

The dealer has 3 of the Jobu gimbals in stock - the Junior, the MKIII Heavy Duty version and the PRO-2 and I have to decide which one - I haven't seen them yet.

You commenting on the size of the Pro-2 I'll have to take that into consideration when trying them out. I'm also getting the Gitzo 5542LS from the same guy so I'll try them out all on the 5542LS. To be honest with you , due to the cost, I doubt if I'll ever get a 500mm/600mm so perhaps the 80-400mm eill be the largest lens I'll have.

Thanks,

Adrian

T O Shooter
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Thanks - my main concern is just incase I manage to get a 500mm / 600mm in the future and am left with the Junior.

Thanks,

Adrian

I tried the D800e gripped with the 80-400G on the Pro-2 and I think it's too small a lens for that big of a gimbal.  Google and you will find a review or a video with someone using a 500mm with the Jr. We tend to think that bigger and pricier is better, but with the 80-400 on there, I think you're hauling around bulk unnecessarily.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
exRhodesian
Like?
In reply to Dr Bob, 4 months ago

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback & advice.

If I were to only buy one item then it would be the gimbal as , as has been mentioned, there's nothing wrong with my 055 tripod ( also have the 075 geared tripod ) just that it, together with my old solid 029 3-way head, is heavy to carry so I was considering the carbon gitzo 5 series.

With the feedback on the Pro-2 being rather bulky for the 80-400mm then I may consider the Jobu MKIII Gimbal which they also have.

Another way that I'm trying to prevent camera shake is by not pressing the shutter manually but rather by using either the cable-shutter or a remote shutter ( use the Phottix Stratos II ) which is excellent, Many of my shots using the 80-400mm were not sharp and others pointed out that it looks like a bit of camera shake. I then realised that it was myself pressing the shutter release and so decided to start using the cable-release which I now do.

The PRO-2 gimbal head should be arriving at the dealer this aftenoon from from his Cape Town office . I'll decide on which gimbal to take and whether to go for the 5542ls.

Thanks,

Adrian

exRhodesian
Like?

Hi,

here one can see the slight difference in size between the Jobus PRO-2 and MKIII bearing in mind that the 80-400mm is nowhere near the size of the 600mm in the pictures.

The top one is the Pro-2 with the MKIII below.

Thanks,

Adrian

Dr Bob
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback & advice.

If I were to only buy one item then it would be the gimbal as , as has been mentioned, there's nothing wrong with my 055 tripod ( also have the 075 geared tripod ) just that it, together with my old solid 029 3-way head, is heavy to carry so I was considering the carbon gitzo 5 series.

With the feedback on the Pro-2 being rather bulky for the 80-400mm then I may consider the Jobu MKIII Gimbal which they also have.

Another way that I'm trying to prevent camera shake is by not pressing the shutter manually but rather by using either the cable-shutter or a remote shutter ( use the Phottix Stratos II ) which is excellent, Many of my shots using the 80-400mm were not sharp and others pointed out that it looks like a bit of camera shake. I then realised that it was myself pressing the shutter release and so decided to start using the cable-release which I now do.

The PRO-2 gimbal head should be arriving at the dealer this aftenoon from from his Cape Town office . I'll decide on which gimbal to take and whether to go for the 5542ls.

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian, I know what you are saying about the weight, and the gimbal head adds to the weight - so good reason to get a lighter tripod.

I am surprised your remote shutter release is helping. With the longer telephotos, a 'long lens' technique is the norm - which uses your face against the view finder and your right hand supporting the body as the release is pressed. If your right hand is off the body pressing the remote, you lose this dampening (this assumes your left hand is dampening the lens - either on top, underneath or on the collar - depending on who you listen to).

What shutter speeds are you having problems with?

I know from a few earlier threads you posted in, you asked about collars and feet. Not sure if you upgraded. I said in my earlier post, that I had no problems with stability on the 80-400g but that was not entirely true. For 99.9% of my shots it is true but I did try one night to do some shots of the moon, with ss around 1/250. All were pretty poor despite all efforts at a good long lens technique. The problem was certainly the flexibility of the collar and foot allowing vibration down the lens and back. It's not a problem with birds as the ss is always 1/500+ so I have not bothered with the replacement foot. Perhaps the Kirk foot is your answer.

Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
exRhodesian
Like?

Hi Andy,

I remember the recommendations on getting a new foot , and another to ensure that the collar was really tight so I checked the collar and managed to tighten it a bit more hoping that this would solve the issue taking bird shots in my back garden using my Manfrotto 322 pistol-head instead of the 3-way 029 head. Simply pressing the shutter while on the 322 head I could notice ever-slight movement in the D800. When using it in my backyard taking birds (which is generally in the shade) shooting at < 640asa and at least f8  I found that the ShutterSpeed is at least 1/125-1/250sec with the shots not as sharp as I would like them to be as I like to keep below 800asa for noise.

So I decided that using the shutter-cable from either hand could rule out  both 'Camera-shake'  and 'insecure tripod head' . I have found that this has helped in getting the shots sharper looking.

The reason for the new gimbal head / tripod is for when going outdoors as the 322 pistol-grip head is not suitable for panning to capture birds in flight.

Here is one shot from my back yard and another taken in the open with a 100% crop to show the quality of the 80-400mm both taken on the 055 tripod using the 322 head for the bird and the 029 head for the aircraft. There was plenty light for the aircraft to shoot at 100asa whereas the birds are often in the shade.

Thanks,

Adrian

D800 + 80-400G on tripod

D800 +80-400G

D800 + 80-400G with 100% crop

Dr Bob
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi Andy,

I remember the recommendations on getting a new foot , and another to ensure that the collar was really tight so I checked the collar and managed to tighten it a bit more hoping that this would solve the issue taking bird shots in my back garden using my Manfrotto 322 pistol-head instead of the 3-way 029 head. Simply pressing the shutter while on the 322 head I could notice ever-slight movement in the D800. When using it in my backyard taking birds (which is generally in the shade) shooting at < 640asa and at least f8 I found that the ShutterSpeed is at least 1/125-1/250sec with the shots not as sharp as I would like them to be as I like to keep below 800asa for noise.

So I decided that using the shutter-cable from either hand could rule out both 'Camera-shake' and 'insecure tripod head' . I have found that this has helped in getting the shots sharper looking.

The gimbal head will make it a lot easier to shoot the birds - that's for sure.

At the slow shutter speeds you are using on the birds, you will need everything perfect to stop camera shake, but even then you will miss a lot of shots as the birds twitch. I make a point of NOT going below a ss of 1/500 and accept the iso will rise. The 80-400g is great wide open so in the garden where the light is often bad, I keep at f5.6 and a minimun of 1/500. Iso is ok up to 1600 and at a pinch up to 6400 if you dont have to crop too much and get the exposure right (ie not pushing shadows too much). There are many good NR plugins to reduce background noise from high iso.

The following link is typical of what I get with my garden set up (although done with a 500mm F4)

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/local/h148d946f#h148d946f

and the next link is an example of shooting at iso 6400 with the 800E/80-400g

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/local/h148d946f#hb042d44

As soon as the light allows, I go to a minimum of 1/1600 to ensure sharp shots (avoiding birds twitching)

For birds, keep your ss up and you won't need to worry about camera shake. Another recommendation for your back garden shooting is to think about the background and getting near the birds. I bought a hide for around £80 which lets me get within 15-20ft and organised the sighting of it so I get good isolation of the bird to background - so it is easier to remove noise. Have a look at the first link above and what you can do with the background. High iso becomes less of a problem.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Bernard Delley
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Jobu Jr weight advantage

with its smaller size the Jr is much lighter than the big gimbals -- at no compromise in flex stiffness. This is possible because of the smaller size.

With weight a consideration the gitzo 25xx series seems a better match.

With lenses like the 70-200mm f/2.8 or 80-400mm f/5.6  the Jr allows to have the center of gravity of lens+camera below the fulcrum.

With lenses 300mm f/2.8 and up is practically not possible to have cg below the fulcrum with the Jr. But, if overall weight is important, you may consider a minor compromise where the cg remains slightly above the fulcrum.

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
Custom Brackets LB with Varizoom ChickenFoot Monopod

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Adrian

I"ve never used the Jobu.  Hear good things about them, but I just don't like that "Wimberly" tube design.  Just an aesthetic predilection.

I'm using the above (title) combo and getting great results even at 1/4 sec, with my D800e and new 80-400.  The CB LB is lightweight and smooth, excellent.  The ChickenFoot is light and compact.  I can move quickly with it, without being too conspicuous, and be setup in a flash.  Stabilization on that lens is terrific, so I don't see why you need a beefy tripod with it.  You can see some of my results with this combo on my website in the "New Works" or "Animals" tabs.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
exRhodesian
Like?
Decided on & got the Jobu HD MKIII
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago

Hi,

After trying out the Pro2 I must say that I agree with those that said it was bulky. It was a bit heavier than I expected an so got the mid-range MKIII. The gitzo 5542ls was also much heavier than expected and so decided to stick with my manfrotto 055 steel tripod. Looking forward to using the gimbal.

Thanks,

Adrian

exRhodesian
Like?

Andy, you have some real beautiful shots taken there. Do you shoot Raw or Jpeg ?

Adrian

T O Shooter
Like?
Re: Decided on & got the Jobu HD MKIII

exRhodesian wrote:

Hi,

After trying out the Pro2 I must say that I agree with those that said it was bulky. It was a bit heavier than I expected an so got the mid-range MKIII. The gitzo 5542ls was also much heavier than expected and so decided to stick with my manfrotto 055 steel tripod. Looking forward to using the gimbal.

Thanks,

Adrian

As I had said, Pro2 was way out of proportion for an 80-400.  The MKIII is smaller but you would certainly not have made the wrong choice with the Jr.  I know Ian the fellow that owns Jobu and he would have told you the same thing.  But hopefully the MKIII works out and you don't mind lugging it around.  I keep my old 055 for the gimbel too. I think it matches up well.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
Dr Bob
Like?

exRhodesian wrote:

Andy, you have some real beautiful shots taken there. Do you shoot Raw or Jpeg ?

Adrian

Adrian, thanks for the nice comments. All shot in Raw and processed via LR5 and output sharpening from Photoshop.

Sounds like you have made a great choice on the gimbal. Good shooting.

mjb2
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Decided on & got the Jobu HD MKIII

I have the Jr that I use with a D800 and 300mm f/2.8. I find the motions to be smooth, but there is definitely a bit of flexure. This is not a big deal, but I do need to "preload" it before shooting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads