Do I need to download Nikon's lens distortion control data?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bunza
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Do I need to download Nikon's lens distortion control data?
3 months ago

http://www.nikonimglib.com/dcdata/index.html#note-01

Above is Distortion Control Data available for download.

Did my new D800 come with this already pre-loaded, in which case correction is already being applied?

Am I correct that this is the data on the imperfections of my Nikkor lenses, (pincushion, CA, vignetting etc.) that would be automatically corrected when using those lenses?

FWIW, whether the data is pre-loaded or must be downloaded is not addressed in the User's Guide.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I need to download Nikon's lens distortion control data?
In reply to Bunza, 3 months ago

Bunza wrote:

Did my new D800 come with this already pre-loaded, in which case correction is already being applied?

Am I correct that this is the data on the imperfections of my Nikkor lenses, (pincushion, CA, vignetting etc.) that would be automatically corrected when using those lenses?

FWIW, whether the data is pre-loaded or must be downloaded is not addressed in the User's Guide.

You can check your current version by entering menu -> Setup Menu -> Firmware Version

For vignette and distortion control, you need to enable these in the Shooting menu, see manual p. 275-276. If you use ViewNX2 or Capture NX2, these settings will be read and automatically used...

CA is entirely up to your editor to handle.

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?

nikon occasionally adds lenses to the database, so your camera may not have the latest iteration. you need to go to your camera's "setup" menu and check the last item: firmware version.

mine shows version 1.009 as the distortion data file... i believe mine is at the most recent firmware level.

a couple of notes: you have to have distortion control enabled in the shooting menu under the auto distortion control item. this will slow down your capture rate, if you are a speed demon.

in captureNX2, image distortion control is an option, and not turned on by default. if you have a lens like, for example, the 58/1.4 which is designed to produce a certain look "wide open", you might choose not to correct distortion. that's purely an aesthetic judgement, but it's nice to have the option.

hope this helps. oh, and when loading the firmware, the common rookie mistake is to press the center of the multifunction control rather than the OK button when you want to proceed. many have come here asking why their update "failed".

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,110
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 3 months ago

Personally I would not install distortion firmware or enable distortion control in my new used d800e because of any capture slowdown.  I can easily post process my distortion out after capture.

Larry

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,468Gear list
Like?

Bunza wrote:

The distortion corrections are only applied if you shoot jpeg.  Or if you are using Nikon's own image editing programs.  If you shoot raw and use a raw converter such as PhotoShop ACR, Lightfoot the lens corrections are not recognized.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
mikemsphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 975
Like?

Bunza wrote:

As others have noted, this is an update to the in-camera distortion control area of your camera firmware.

If you click further on in your linked nikon page above (select windows or Mac) it tells you how to confirm in your camera menus which "L" release of the firmware that you have installed. You can also check on the list of lenses to see which ones the update includes correction data for.

If you use Capture NX2 software, it also contains the same nikon lens correction data, so you have to option to apply it to your nefs in-camera or afterwards.

My experience is that the in-camera distortion control (under the shooting menu) performs the same corrections as the NX2 software will do when processing your nefs after shooting. Personally I like to do it in NX2 rather than in-camera because you can click it on or off while processing to decide if you want to apply it. Sometimes on a tight crop, the distortion control will push out things right at the edge of the frame that you don't want to lose. Also, doing it in camera can slow down your shooting.

The other option for  in-camera distortion correction is in the retouch menu, however it only applies the corrections to jpgs and not nefs.

-- hide signature --

Michael Sherman
http://www.msphoto.ca

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads