My personal Df review

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Huckles
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
My personal Df review
6 months ago

Hi guys,

this camera body has caused quite a stir. I was very hesitant to make the purchase, especially considering I wanted to put it into play into my Wedding work (alongside the D4 and D800's and Leica M).

Here is my thoughts on it.

http://vandang.com.au/photographer/?page_id=6108

My fb photography page is here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/VanDangPhotographer

No camera is perfect.. that is for sure.

Van.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 743
Like?
Re: My personal Df review
In reply to Huckles, 6 months ago

i find a lot i agree with in your review, especially how well-suited the 58/1.4 seems in tandem with the Df. it's my favorite pairing, except that the old 50/2 AI that i have gives the 58 some competition. that little lens has some queer aberrations when shot wide open that appeal to me in some way. it's also the ultimate lightweight combo for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?

Huckles wrote:

Hi guys,

this camera body has caused quite a stir. I was very hesitant to make the purchase, especially considering I wanted to put it into play into my Wedding work (alongside the D4 and D800's and Leica M).

Here is my thoughts on it.

http://vandang.com.au/photographer/?page_id=6108

My fb photography page is here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/VanDangPhotographer

No camera is perfect.. that is for sure.

Van.

I'm probably a lot more positive with the handling and build (never had an issue with the body feeling cheap or with the strap lugs for example). I think that turns on how often you use (and hold) other cameras (or to put it more succinctly, cameras other than DSLRs). Like you I also use a Leica M (though I use a half case with a small grip), but I also shoot (or have shot) a host of mirrorless systems - I think that makes me much more relaxed about the handling - for example, for me the X-T1 is (handling wise) a poor clone of the Df that doesn't quite match it in usability (straps on helmet...).

Nevertheless, a review based on personal experience is to be encouraged and it is accompanied by some lovely pictures (particular like the B&W work). Totally agree that the 58mm on the Df is a fine pairing, but I'm also very happy (now) with the Sigma 35 or even the 24 F1.4 (which produces just beautiful results on that sensor).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644Gear list
Like?

Great review - and great photography!

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 6 months ago

Great write up and pics, thanks!

My evaluation of the Df is more in line with Sgoldswo's but we have tread similar paths to reach the Df (ie various mirrorless) as opposed to coming direct from other DSLRs.

Another point differ from you on is that I find the AF to be great, but again coming from the oft maligned X-Pro1 that is probably why! I only use centre focus and recompose too, so that may bolster my positive findings... However, it is mainly after dark that I shoot.

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df
Huckles
Like?
In reply to Felts, 6 months ago

As with all comparisons or experience, it comes down to what you have used or what your used to.  Coming from the D4, D3s, D800 e.t.c  of course the 'lesser' AF 39 point system is weaker but as I also state in my review, I can work around that... but that's where this camera gets people emotional.  At this price point, should we have to?

It's certainly not bad, far from it.  In good light it is damn fine and fast (as should most AF systems be).  Just in my line of work, it CAN get dicey.  But for most intents and purposes it will be more than fine. 

The 'feeling' of cheapness is not solely in it's weight.  It's the tangible elements, like feel, shape, balance.

The position of the should strap lug on the right hand side is this.. the shoulder strap MUST fall between your index finger and middle finger for you to shoot with the Df.  Which it doesn't and isn't required to do so on ALL other camera bodies I have ever used, including all manufactuerers.  I'm sure there is a 'reason' for placing it there but if your bringing the camera up and down constantly, the wrestling with the strap is such a nuisance.  Not a major problem at all, but something which has to be considered.

These are just my thoughts out in the field...

V

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,819
Like?
Re: It is what it is......

Huckles wrote:

As with all comparisons or experience, it comes down to what you have used or what your used to. Coming from the D4, D3s, D800 e.t.c of course the 'lesser' AF 39 point system is weaker but as I also state in my review, I can work around that... but that's where this camera gets people emotional. At this price point, should we have to?

Agreed but I'm not sure if the AF is weaker just more limiting in use.   For Sport and Wildlife action I want very fast accurate AF in the center points (cluster or single) .  For much of what I shoot with the Df I would prefer the wider spread.

It's certainly not bad, far from it. In good light it is damn fine and fast (as should most AF systems be). Just in my line of work, it CAN get dicey. But for most intents and purposes it will be more than fine.

Agree

The 'feeling' of cheapness is not solely in it's weight. It's the tangible elements, like feel, shape, balance.

It does not have the same feeling of a fine piece of machinery that the EM1 or my D3s has but I do not have the 'cheap' feeling

The position of the should strap lug on the right hand side is this.. the shoulder strap MUST fall between your index finger and middle finger for you to shoot with the Df. Which it doesn't and isn't required to do so on ALL other camera bodies I have ever used, including all manufactuerers. I'm sure there is a 'reason' for placing it there but if your bringing the camera up and down constantly, the wrestling with the strap is such a nuisance. Not a major problem at all, but something which has to be considered.

Yup, minor inconvenience

and my user thoughts, great IQ, best skin tones of any of my cameras, very good auto WB, files that are very easy to work with.  Operation is not as fluid for many types of shooting.

V

Many thanks for posting and the link

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

JJ168
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?

Very nice review. No fanboy/hates got in the way. Coming from d800 and have used d600 in many occasion, i dont find the AF any much different to d800/d700 apart from the AF spread. I still can use top left/right focus points when i want to use the rule of third. It just not as wide and high/low as the AF spread of the d800.

Now, those pictures, quite frankly are pretty bad... for my wallet. It makes me keep thinking on how can i cheat on my other half to acquire this sexy 58.

JJ168's gear list:JJ168's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
Strap lugs

the strap lugs seem to bother some people and not others. I'm one of the latter and I also own a D800E. To me at least I actually prefer the position of the lugs on the DF. I think anything else would have been a disaster due to weight distribution. I think if you just relax your hand and let it find a way to hold the grip rather than gripping the camera like you do the D4 or D800, you'll be fine. At the very least I know I was and other on the forum have reported the same. I hope that helps.

Huckles wrote:

As with all comparisons or experience, it comes down to what you have used or what your used to. Coming from the D4, D3s, D800 e.t.c of course the 'lesser' AF 39 point system is weaker but as I also state in my review, I can work around that... but that's where this camera gets people emotional. At this price point, should we have to?

It's certainly not bad, far from it. In good light it is damn fine and fast (as should most AF systems be). Just in my line of work, it CAN get dicey. But for most intents and purposes it will be more than fine.

The 'feeling' of cheapness is not solely in it's weight. It's the tangible elements, like feel, shape, balance.

The position of the should strap lug on the right hand side is this.. the shoulder strap MUST fall between your index finger and middle finger for you to shoot with the Df. Which it doesn't and isn't required to do so on ALL other camera bodies I have ever used, including all manufactuerers. I'm sure there is a 'reason' for placing it there but if your bringing the camera up and down constantly, the wrestling with the strap is such a nuisance. Not a major problem at all, but something which has to be considered.

V

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Huckles
Like?
In reply to JJ168, 6 months ago

The 58 is like a fine wine at first you will go... Is that it? It is very very similar in rendering to the pre asph noctilux. Hence the 'character' subtle but nice.

ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241Gear list
Like?

I have had mine for four months. When I first handled the camera I did get an impression of 'cheapness' but I now know that this was a first impression mainly because of the lightness of the camera. The camera feels very well put together. I have been using many AI and non-AI lenses on the camera and that makes it feel a lot more solid (compared to when using the kit lens). A lot of the impressions are based on the weight of the camera and it's size.  As for the lugs, I have no problems with that. They are positioned exactly like on a older film camera. It all depends on what you are use to.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Leica Digilux 2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to ravduc, 6 months ago

I agree that 'cheapness' is definitely not something I associate with the feel of the Df.

I think it feels more solid than the X-Pro1 - put a shutter button on it and it wobbles and I didn't like the feel of the lockable shutter dial either. The X100 dial is better, but still has a wobbly shutter release.

The dials on the Df have just the right resistance and unlike the Fujis, there is zero play.

I'm used to handling my mates M9P and M6 and although they are more solid, I don't think the actual feel is worlds apart.

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads