m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Started Apr 3, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
BJL Veteran Member • Posts: 8,825
Clearly you have not photographed Lower Antelope Canyon
1

Firstly, the subjects are stationary, so with a tripod, high ISO is irrelvant.

Secondly, you typically need lots of depth of field in a slot canyon, since the various parts of the scene are at a wide range if distances, so the aperture must be stipped down. This makes "big glass" irelevant, amd also eliminates any low light advantage of a larger formst, because a larger format needs a higher f-stop to get the needed DOF, and so needs a higher ISO speed to get the same shutter speed, and gathers no more light in total than a smaller format.

Thirdly, the stationary subjects means that the speed advantage of phase detect auto-focus is irelevant, leaving contrast-detect with the advantage of greater accuracy.

Fourthly, many non-SLR sysrem cameras have phase-detect autofocus as well as contrast-detect.

Fifthly, my experience in LAC was that good IBIS of the EM5 made it possible to shoot hand-held at fairly low ISO speeds.

So you seem to be repeating every alleged disadvantage of MFT that you have read about without understanding how things actually work in practice.

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach:
you can have any *two* at one time.

 BJL's gear list:BJL's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
Blaufeld
Blaufeld Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Clearly you have not photographed Lower Antelope Canyon

BJL wrote:

Firstly, the subjects are stationary, so with a tripod, high ISO is irrelvant.

Secondly, you typically need lots of depth of field in a slot canyon, since the various parts of the scene are at a wide range if distances, so the aperture must be stipped down. This makes "big glass" irelevant, amd also eliminates any low light advantage of a larger formst, because a larger format needs a higher f-stop to get the needed DOF, and so needs a higher ISO speed to get the same shutter speed, and gathers no more light in total than a smaller format.

Thirdly, the stationary subjects means that the speed advantage of phase detect auto-focus is irelevant, leaving contrast-detect with the advantage of greater accuracy.

Fourthly, many non-SLR sysrem cameras have phase-detect autofocus as well as contrast-detect.

Fifthly, my experience in LAC was that good IBIS of the EM5 made it possible to shoot hand-held at fairly low ISO speeds.

So you seem to be repeating every alleged disadvantage of MFT that you have read about without understanding how things actually work in practice.

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach:
you can have any *two* at one time.

+1
Teh Win.

 Blaufeld's gear list:Blaufeld's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
iau Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

peevee1 wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Wow! I'm glad I live in a country where everybody as the general rule has the right to access all land, private or not.

Huh? I can walk into your backyard without your permission?

Backyard may be a little different, but general rule were I live is that uncultivated/outllying privately owned land is accessible for everone.

-iau

 iau's gear list:iau's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Leica M9-P Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,320
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour
2

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum 
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em

-Joni Mitchell

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

 Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +9 more
edspen Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

We can post jpg, raw, etc. but it'd nice to hear that audio file !

Klarno
Klarno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,093
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

agentlossing wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Wow! I'm glad I live in a country where everybody as the general rule has the right to access all land, private or not.

Huh? I can walk into your backyard without your permission?

My guess is a nation where trespassing was legal wouldn't stay sovereign for very long?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
dgnelson Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Cliches

Antelope Canyon is beautiful, and some beautiful photographs have come from it.  But it's been done to death.

Dan

J R R S Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Ken Rockwell souds like a knob...

If your paying he should shut up and take your money...  so is this tour gonna close when they stop production of SLRs?

Why would there be any policy about whay kit you have?

Would it be ok if you had an ancient D100?

Thats not profetional thats protectionist....

J R R S Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: tour company would be perfectly happy

"They are simply trying to create an easy rule for limiting the special extended tours to people who are really serious about photography."

If there is too much demand, then charge more? easy...

MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Klarno wrote:

agentlossing wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Wow! I'm glad I live in a country where everybody as the general rule has the right to access all land, private or not.

Huh? I can walk into your backyard without your permission?

My guess is a nation where trespassing was legal wouldn't stay sovereign for very long?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

-- hide signature --

Yeah, that describes it quite good.

Regarding the Same people and their right to keep reindeers on all land in northern Sweden that I wrote about in another post I want to add that that this is not without complications. There has been some struggle from their side to get clearer rights but that has failed, after the longest ongoing trial ever in Sweden. They claimed ownership to mountain areas which probably was a mistake, they might have won if they claimed the right to use and got that codified. And after that some landowners in the southern Sapmi area sued them for keeping reindeers in forest area and won, which means some restrictions. But then landowners a bit north did the same but lose. So the rights are a bit unclear and differs in different parts of Sweden. The Same people has been oppressed, forced to speak Swedish, but are now recognized as a national minority and the Samish language is recognized as a national minority language (among Jiddisch, Romani chib, Finnish and Meänkieli). The Same people have their own parliament which is an official authority in Sweden.

This may be an interesting parallell to the Navajo nation and their situation.

 MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads