m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
genesys9
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour
8 months ago

I just returned from antelope canyon trip and as I made my way towards lower antelope canyon. The booking office rep at Ken Rockwell informed me that I cannot take the photography tour since my camera isn't medium or large size.

That was one of the most technologically challenged statements I have ever heard. Even though I had two supporters helping me discuss and at times argue over the point, it did not cut ice.

Having traveled 2k+ miles I was quite disappointed but there will be another day. I was carrying E-PL5 with Tripod and a rain sleeve.

genesys9's gear list:genesys9's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,956
Like?
Re: m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour
In reply to genesys9, 8 months ago

Don't feel bad. Ken Rockwell seems to be a very biased person. The GF doesn't cut with him either.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is now discontinued...
Jeff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,974Gear list
Like?

Well, I just looked up the tour details http://www.lowerantelope.com/aboutTheTour.php and it says

"Photographer's pass is 2 hours in duration. One photo pass for each individual with the required equipment. You can purchase the pass at the booth. The REQUIRED equipment are a SLR camera, medium or large format WITH a tripod. No guide is provided for the photographer, but a Canyon Monitor will check on you periodically for questions or assistant.

Things to bring:

• SLR camera (medium or large format) required
• Extra film or memory cards.
• Batteries
• Tripod required
• Plastic bag (for windy days to protect camera or lens)"

Seems a bit stupid, but an m4/3 is not an SLR (bolding is theirs, not mine).

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,781Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, 8 months ago

Phenomenally silly. I can imagine him tossing some dude with a $35k bag of Leica stuff.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Ron Outdoors
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?

Very confusing. For decades, medium format has been larger then 35mm (or digital equivalent). And large format is 4X5 inch film. Don't think there even is such a thing as a lager format SLR. Looks like they have created their own definitions.

PC Wheeler wrote:

Well, I just looked up the tour details http://www.lowerantelope.com/aboutTheTour.php and it says

"Photographer's pass is 2 hours in duration. One photo pass for each individual with the required equipment. You can purchase the pass at the booth. The REQUIRED equipment are a SLR camera, medium or large format WITH a tripod. No guide is provided for the photographer, but a Canyon Monitor will check on you periodically for questions or assistant.

Things to bring:

• Batteries
• Tripod required

-- hide signature --

Phil

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,539Gear list
Like?
So

PC Wheeler wrote:

Things to bring:

• Batteries
• Tripod required

-- hide signature --

Phil

So just take a tripod and any old DSLR (smaller the better....old  Pentax APSC fit the bill or better still a film SLR like a Spotmatic) AND your other camera.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
genesys9
Like?

They have a laminated rule page to show guests and that actually states Digital SLR as the requirement. I definitely did advise them to go ahead and check out the jaw dropping pictures m43 take.

PC Wheeler wrote:

Things to bring:

• Batteries
• Tripod required

-- hide signature --

Phil

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?

PC Wheeler wrote:

Things to bring:

• Batteries
• Tripod required

-- hide signature --

Phil

Ah, well. The requirement for medium or large format means that no Nikon or Canon cameras are allowed either. Just Hasselblads, Mamiya, Phase One, Pentax 645 and a few others. Oh, and a Graflex or Gowland 4x5" film SLR of course. That doesn't leave many customers.

Some people have no clue.

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Photomonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416Gear list
Like?

I am puzzled why they care what camera you have.

They take your money and leave you alone. For all they know you just slept for two hours.

Seems to be an arrogant position to take but then. it is KR.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,974Gear list
Like?

genesys9 wrote:

They have a laminated rule page to show guests and that actually states Digital SLR as the requirement. I definitely did advise them to go ahead and check out the jaw dropping pictures m43 take.

Ridiculous, I think. On the other hand, there may well be photo excursions out there which allow only film SLRs. Actually, that would be more rational -- appealing to those folks who still work in film.

I'm really amazed to hear this constraint! Gee, maybe I shouldn't have sold my last DSLR in March

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
dave92029
Contributing MemberPosts: 671Gear list
Like?

Antelope Canyon is dark, and perhaps the requirements are all about making sure that the participants have a camera that has a phase detect AF system that can work in the low light environment.

What fast glass did you have?

What is the longest shutter release that you can shoot with the E-PL5?

The slot canyons are a fun place to shoot, but you do need the proper gear to shoot in that high iso environment.

Hope you get to go back an other time. Couldn't you just go into the Canyon on a regular tour?Photographer groups are allowed in at the most preferred times in small groups so that you can shoot the beams of light w/o twenty people in the frame.

Dave

dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,068Gear list
Like?

genesys9 wrote:

I just returned from antelope canyon trip and as I made my way towards lower antelope canyon. The booking office rep at Ken Rockwell informed me that I cannot take the photography tour since my camera isn't medium or large size.

That was one of the most technologically challenged statements I have ever heard. Even though I had two supporters helping me discuss and at times argue over the point, it did not cut ice.

Having traveled 2k+ miles I was quite disappointed but there will be another day. I was carrying E-PL5 with Tripod and a rain sleeve.

hard to believe!

I did not know this guy turned this place into his private enterprise.

BTW, can anybody enter this Lower Antelope Canyon without camera at all - to enjoy the view only?

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Vector12
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron Outdoors, 8 months ago

Ron Outdoors wrote:

Very confusing. For decades, medium format has been larger then 35mm (or digital equivalent). And large format is 4X5 inch film. Don't think there even is such a thing as a lager format SLR. Looks like they have created their own definitions.

Your comment got me interested, and a brief search suggests that there aren't any large format SLRs.

I guess that means you have to bring a medium format SLR. All those time-wasting, amateurish 8" x 10" sheet film users will fortunately be excluded!

PC Wheeler wrote:

Things to bring:

• Batteries
• Tripod required

-- hide signature --

Phil

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

Vector12's gear list:Vector12's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,448
Like?

So I could take my antique 8 MP 20D but not my very modern 16 MP GH3 which has much better image quality, far superior high ISO performance, and vastly better AF (and MF).  How incredibly ignorant.

offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?

Anything associated with Ken Rockwell has large downsides often with few upsides.Just a big mouth who loves to hear himself talk.Surprised he doesn't have his own canyon.

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437
Like?

I did not see anything to suggest that Ken's tours has anything to do with Ken Rockwell. Unless he moved to Arizona and started giving tours full time this is a different Ken. Although the prohibition of m43 cameras does sound sort of Rockwellian.

When I searched for Antelope canyon tours this website came up first. They might not care what type of camera you bring, They do mention the 2 our limit is a regulation beyond their control, maybe the SLR and tripod is also a regulation.

genesys9
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, 8 months ago

Dave Lively, I have mis-typed, it is NOT Ken Rockwell but just Ken.

Thank you for bringing this up. All this is the right link, apologies but I still am disappointed with Ken

Dave Lively wrote:

I did not see anything to suggest that Ken's tours has anything to do with Ken Rockwell. Unless he moved to Arizona and started giving tours full time this is a different Ken. Although the prohibition of m43 cameras does sound sort of Rockwellian.

When I searched for Antelope canyon tours this website came up first. They might not care what type of camera you bring, They do mention the 2 our limit is a regulation beyond their control, maybe the SLR and tripod is also a regulation.

zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Pentax, Yashica, Mamiya 645 SLRs
In reply to Ron Outdoors, 8 months ago

At one point I lusted over one of these. Just happened to see one today.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/645/645.htm

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
lapdog99
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, 8 months ago

That has already happened, as I recall a famous photographer with his Leica was denied access. I can't recall his name, but it was over a year ago.  What an ignorant policy and one reason I have chosen not to go when I am in the Page area.

lapdog99's gear list:lapdog99's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?

My first idea is to bring my OM-1 and say it's my primary camera and then conveniently forget the film, and then use my MFT gear anyway.

My second idea is to load the OM-1 with some Velvia after I get it CLAed and shoot with it anyway.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads