DF - low light focusing speed?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
vladi1234567
Contributing MemberPosts: 782
Like?
DF - low light focusing speed?
8 months ago

I was just wondering if the owners could share their experiences with how fast the Df can lock the focus in the low light situations - something that would require 1/100s shutter speed, 1.8 aperture and 6400-12800 ISO.  I've found a couple of reviews today that claim it takes up to 10 seconds to lock focus, and sometimes it wouldn't lock at all.  Would those who use the Df in low light agree or disagree?  What are your personal findings in that regard?

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Nikon Df Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
Re: DF - low light focusing speed?
In reply to vladi1234567, 8 months ago

vladi1234567 wrote:

I was just wondering if the owners could share their experiences with how fast the Df can lock the focus in the low light situations - something that would require 1/100s shutter speed, 1.8 aperture and 6400-12800 ISO. I've found a couple of reviews today that claim it takes up to 10 seconds to lock focus, and sometimes it wouldn't lock at all. Would those who use the Df in low light agree or disagree? What are your personal findings in that regard?

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Frim my experience it focused "easily" I never bothered timing it -- which should suggest that it's inconsequential.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, 8 months ago

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Dave Thompson
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?

Hi, I shot some pictures recently at a folk festival and was at 12800 ISO for a lot of the time and had no issues at all. Using a 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and 70 - 200 2.8

I was really impressed with the results considering the lighting.

Regards, Dave

Dave Thompson's gear list:Dave Thompson's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?

bottom line: no light or contrast, no focus.

even in low light, if you have a decently lit edge of a person, for example, it's no worse than the bigger bodies like the D800 (which i also use). in good-- but not great -- light, i've been surprised at how well the Df compares with the D800 in obtaining focus on moving subjects. not saying it's perfect, just better than you'd expect given all the negativity.

on the minus side, that cluster of AF points can seem a little constraining, if you're used to having 51 of them across the frame -- even worse if you're coming from a 51-point cam like a D300.

but given the sensitivity of the sensor, gosh, it just opens up opportunities for getting shots that you just don't have without springing for a D4(s).

scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768Gear list
Like?

vladi1234567 wrote:

I was just wondering if the owners could share their experiences with how fast the Df can lock the focus in the low light situations - something that would require 1/100s shutter speed, 1.8 aperture and 6400-12800 ISO. I've found a couple of reviews today that claim it takes up to 10 seconds to lock focus, and sometimes it wouldn't lock at all. Would those who use the Df in low light agree or disagree? What are your personal findings in that regard?

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Have had zero issues in any light.  As another poster mentioned, if there is no light or no contrast any camera will have an issue.  To claim under any reasonable circumstance that the Df takes 10 seconds to lock focus in low light is BS.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,664Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 8 months ago

Hugo First wrote:

even in low light, if you have a decently lit edge of a person, for example, it's no worse than the bigger bodies like the D800 (which i also use). in good-- but not great -- light, i've been surprised at how well the Df compares with the D800 in obtaining focus on moving subjects. not saying it's perfect, just better than you'd expect given all the negativity.

on the minus side, that cluster of AF points can seem a little constraining, if you're used to having 51 of them across the frame -- even worse if you're coming from a 51-point cam like a D300.

but given the sensitivity of the sensor, gosh, it just opens up opportunities for getting shots that you just don't have without springing for a D4(s).

This is my experience too.  ISO H1, find a location with 1/50th shutter speed with kit lens, can I focus?  No.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?

Coming recently from Fuji cameras, I am astounded there is ANY negativity surrounding the AF on the Df... Really! I'm not saying the D800 isn't better, but we surely have to be disecting pre-split hairs here.

And not even the X-Pro1 with FW 1.0 would take 10 or even 5 seconds to focus in the darkĀ 

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,360Gear list
Like?

vladi1234567 wrote:

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

It's nearly as good as my D800. Maybe not always as good, but close enough not to notice any meaningful difference under normal shooting.

In regular usage I've never seen it hunt anything like what you describe, except once when I deliberately aimed it at an featureless wall with no detail or contrast in extremely poor lighting. I doubt my D800 would have focused there either.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
kape06111
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 8 months ago

Really happy and satisfied with the focus of the DF in every situation.

kape06111's gear list:kape06111's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df
vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to Dave Thompson, 8 months ago

Dave Thompson wrote:

Hi, I shot some pictures recently at a folk festival and was at 12800 ISO for a lot of the time and had no issues at all. Using a 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and 70 - 200 2.8

I was really impressed with the results considering the lighting.

Regards, Dave

Thank you, much appreciated

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 8 months ago

Hugo First wrote:

I had a D600 for a couple of months, but never used it in low light - but I do know what 39 focus points look like.  Appreciate your response - I'm pretty close to buying me one - just got concerned by those reports of focus troubles with the Df.

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to scokill, 8 months ago

scokill wrote:

vladi1234567 wrote:

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Have had zero issues in any light. As another poster mentioned, if there is no light or no contrast any camera will have an issue. To claim under any reasonable circumstance that the Df takes 10 seconds to lock focus in low light is BS.

Thank you for the response - glad to hear it.

As far as 10 seconds to lock focus, here's the review I'm referring to:

"I do have one gripe, though. I kept pushing the camera to tricky low light situations.. but the lower the light, the harder it was for the Df to focus. In almost all of the portraits, it took around 10 to 12 seconds for the camera to hunt and nail the focus.. it can be quite awkward for the stranger to look at the lens that long. On normal lighting situations, the camera usually gets the focus in a second, and I get all the frames I need well within 10."

http://www.dannyst.com/shooting-low-light-portraits-with-the-nikon-df/

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 8 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

Hugo First wrote:

This is my experience too. ISO H1, find a location with 1/50th shutter speed with kit lens, can I focus? No.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

By kit lens - do you mean 50 1.8G?  The Df wouldn't lock focus in H1 and 1/50th?

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to Felts, 8 months ago

Felts wrote:

Coming recently from Fuji cameras, I am astounded there is ANY negativity surrounding the AF on the Df... Really! I'm not saying the D800 isn't better, but we surely have to be disecting pre-split hairs here.

And not even the X-Pro1 with FW 1.0 would take 10 or even 5 seconds to focus in the dark

-- hide signature --

Hi, yes - being the Sony RX1 owner - I'm aware of what the slow focus in low light works like with mirrorless cameras The RX1's PQ is pretty phenomenal in low light, by the way - but I just don't want another camera that would be as slow to focus as my RX1 in low light, what's the point then.

Here's another Df auto focus observation - this one from Amazon, verified purchase:

"the focus at low light sucks, real bad. I wanted to do a high ISO group shots but couldn't because my camera couldn't focus. This being the strongest feature of NIXON is now a disappointment on the Df. The light was low, but not that low. I think not having an assistant light is the biggest mistake they made. MY SOLUTION: I programmed the fn button to "no flash" so I put on the flash on the camera, used the strobe's assistant focus (red light) and shoot while pressing the fn button to avoid actually triggering the flash when I shoot. Way to loose your vintage look"

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 8 months ago

j_photo wrote:

vladi1234567 wrote:

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

It's nearly as good as my D800. Maybe not always as good, but close enough not to notice any meaningful difference under normal shooting.

In regular usage I've never seen it hunt anything like what you describe, except once when I deliberately aimed it at an featureless wall with no detail or contrast in extremely poor lighting. I doubt my D800 would have focused there either.

Thank you, much appreciated!

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

vladi1234567
Like?
In reply to kape06111, 8 months ago

kape06111 wrote:

Really happy and satisfied with the focus of the DF in every situation.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?

Compared to my D800, my Df nails focus as fast.

The only time I was able to make the D800 "better" than the Df was in marginal situations where I looked to make both cameras miss. Most of the time BOTH would have trouble locking focus and these were silly lighting situations where I was lighting a room with a single bulb in a corner!

My Df has REPLACED my D800 90% of the time. I only grab the D800 when I need the 36mp. Other than that, the Df is a better camera for me, smaller, lighter and more fun to use with superior low light results right out of the camera.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924Gear list
Like?

I have a Df that was purchased especially for it's low light abilities. I take photos at EV2 and the Df locks in as if it was taking images in broad day light. In fact, I have been in situations where the D800 would roam a bit before locking in but not the Df (using the same lens, of course). The ability to capture good images at ISO 12800 is priceless.  The AF was working very well.  I could just see the sign when I took the photo at 1/10sec with VR on.

Disneyland restroom taken at night at EV2

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924Gear list
Like?

That statement is irrelevant unless it's justified by contextual information.  What was the EV that the photo was taken at?

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads