Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z

Started Apr 2, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,546
Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
2

More info about the Z on the New Camera News, the Onion of the camera news websites:

http://newcameranews.com/2014/04/02/ricoh-pentax-gets-ready-to-disappoint-once-again/

The article starts with following:

“Ricoh Pentax, the saddest of all active camera makers, is teasing a successor to the long-in-the-tooth, one tripod foot in the grave medium format 645D. Launched in 1 B.I. (Before Instagram), the 645D is like a dinosaur at your local natural history museum — cool to look at but you don’t want to take it home … “

While many news sites are trying to understand the 645Z, which is an unfathomable concept to even 99% of the Pentax K-mount users, it seems that marketing department at Nikon is already working and delivering usually good job.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Pentax 645D Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

Looks like a great site for hyper cynics!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

 DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Pentax K-01 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-3 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,546
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Looks like a great site for hyper cynics!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

Or maybe DPR is great for those who have no sense of humour?

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

 Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Senior Member • Posts: 4,964
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

If Ricoh would drop the price to around 4000$ and Convince Samyang to offer, say, a 28 f/2,  58 f/2, and 98 f/2.8 Macro that might get some attention.  Now most realize the camera at 10000 and new 28mm (also very expensive), it is just too far out of reach for serious consideration.  This is probably why Nikon wouldn't care.

Cheers.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
Adam Aitken Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z

Thanks for sharing Zvonomir. The other 'articles' are extremely funny. I now want to join the Royal Society of Pixel Peepers!

Adam A

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86405024@N06
'Photography is nothing else than a writing of light' - Eduardo Cadava (and a whole lot of other stuff!)

 Adam Aitken's gear list:Adam Aitken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
Cigarguy Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

Yep the 645 price is hard to justify for many enthusiasts.   The battle in the pro market for Nikon is with Canon, not Pentax.

 Cigarguy's gear list:Cigarguy's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Samsung TL500 Pentax MX-1 Nikon D70 Samsung NX100 +6 more
DarylK
DarylK Senior Member • Posts: 2,020
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
9

The fact that they took the effort to develop an advertisement in response to the Z's teaser ad tells me that they might be just a little bit afraid.  If they truly were not afraid, they would just ignore the whole issue...my 2 cents.

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com
My shots on PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/darylkottwitz

 DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +13 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Senior Member • Posts: 4,964
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z

On the other hand the original 645D is sitting at 7000$ (and the 25mm f/4 DA 645 AW lens is 5000$). Suppose the price of the original 40 mp camera falls to about 50% of this value after the new one is announced. I know, I still wouldn't get it, I'd wait for Sony to come out with the 44X33 mirror-less or the FF 54 mp Foveon they're rumoured to be developing. Nikon should pay attentino to what's going on over there. I know I am.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
2

Petroglyph wrote:

If Ricoh would drop the price to around 4000$ and Convince Samyang to offer, say, a 28 f/2, 58 f/2, and 98 f/2.8 Macro that might get some attention. Now most realize the camera at 10000 and new 28mm (also very expensive), it is just too far out of reach for serious consideration. This is probably why Nikon wouldn't care.

Cheers.

If Ricoh would just hand me a $1000 check I would be happy too.  I am sure Ricoh would lose at least that much selling 645Z cameras for $4000.  Why would Ricoh have any interest in convincing Samyang to make lenses for them and lose any profit off their lenses?

It is only too far out of reach for some buyers, there are many (their market) that wouldn't think twice about spending $30k on a system, that is a deal next to some of the other medium format cameras.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Michael Piziak
Michael Piziak Regular Member • Posts: 408
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

Like I told the boys in the school yard, you don't have to be afraid to get your @#$  kicked !

 Michael Piziak's gear list:Michael Piziak's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +1 more
Bill Robb Senior Member • Posts: 3,332
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

Cigarguy wrote:

Yep the 645 price is hard to justify for many enthusiasts. The battle in the pro market for Nikon is with Canon, not Pentax.

I had the pleasure of using a 645D for an hour or so during a camera demo by the local rep. I used the new at the time 55, an older 200 and the 120 macro. I could easily justify 10k for the body, but I can't afford to. I liked using it and I liked the quality of the pictures it gave.

walgarch Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
4

The fact that they took the effort to develop an advertisement in response to the Z's teaser ad tells me that they might be just a little bit afraid. If they truly were not afraid, they would just ignore the whole issue...my 2 cents.

You realise that's an image from a news parody site right? 

-- hide signature --

Will
=============================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walgarch

 walgarch's gear list:walgarch's gear list
Pentax K-1 HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 +9 more
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,204
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z

Cigarguy wrote:

Yep the 645 price is hard to justify for many enthusiasts. The battle in the pro market for Nikon is with Canon, not Pentax.

The 645D really competes with the D800 more than with the D4S.  This makes the price difference even more acute.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

 paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 22,995
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z

Z has created quite a storm - but nobody's scared.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

 ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +9 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 22,995
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

No totally different camera to any FF.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

 ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +9 more
Underdog 3000 Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
2

Thanks walgarch (sounds like a burp after turkey meatloaf) I was in the middle of formulating a plan to sell Daryl some PRIME beach front property in Kansas.  Now you scared him/her off.

 Underdog 3000's gear list:Underdog 3000's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-5 Sony a6000 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
DarylK
DarylK Senior Member • Posts: 2,020
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

I've already bought beach front property in Nebraska, thank you  .

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com
My shots on PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/darylkottwitz

 DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +13 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Senior Member • Posts: 4,964
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
1

viking79 wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

If Ricoh would drop the price to around 4000$ and Convince Samyang to offer, say, a 28 f/2, 58 f/2, and 98 f/2.8 Macro that might get some attention. Now most realize the camera at 10000 and new 28mm (also very expensive), it is just too far out of reach for serious consideration. This is probably why Nikon wouldn't care.

Cheers.

If Ricoh would just hand me a $1000 check I would be happy too. I am sure Ricoh would lose at least that much selling 645Z cameras for $4000. Why would Ricoh have any interest in convincing Samyang to make lenses for them and lose any profit off their lenses?

It is only too far out of reach for some buyers, there are many (their market) that wouldn't think twice about spending $30k on a system, that is a deal next to some of the other medium format cameras.

Eric

You've outlined the status quo profile for this camera.  And made my point about why Nikon don't care. 

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
2

Petroglyph wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

If Ricoh would drop the price to around 4000$ and Convince Samyang to offer, say, a 28 f/2, 58 f/2, and 98 f/2.8 Macro that might get some attention. Now most realize the camera at 10000 and new 28mm (also very expensive), it is just too far out of reach for serious consideration. This is probably why Nikon wouldn't care.

Cheers.

If Ricoh would just hand me a $1000 check I would be happy too. I am sure Ricoh would lose at least that much selling 645Z cameras for $4000. Why would Ricoh have any interest in convincing Samyang to make lenses for them and lose any profit off their lenses?

It is only too far out of reach for some buyers, there are many (their market) that wouldn't think twice about spending $30k on a system, that is a deal next to some of the other medium format cameras.

Eric

You've outlined the status quo profile for this camera. And made my point about why Nikon don't care.

There is a lot more under the surface than what most people tend to see (or want to see).

One big, big advantage of Nikon (and also Canon) is that owning lenses from them is almost like having money in the bank. They don't depreciate as much and is very easy to sell or trade for a very good residual value. The same logic applies when a photogrpaher wants to buy used lenses instead of new ones. There is plenty from where to choose when it comes to lenses in the used market.

I am sitting here on 9 Pentax lenses, trying to sell them for one year.  I have reduced the price of them severely and no takers! It is kind of frustrating. The only two lenses I was able to sell were the Pentax 'A' 28mm F2.8 and the fisheye 10-17mm. I am listing the 55-200mm zoom for $70 and still no leads. Simply amazing!

Now, let's talk about  flash technology and flash systems and Nikon has the huge advantage, even compared to Canon.

Now, let's consider auto focus technology and image processing engines and again, Canon and nikon are on the lead.

Also consider technical support. With the professional support program from both nikon and canon, it is easy to get replacements when the cameras are serviced.

Any person who knows about professional photography must know these facts. Also marketing image of the two leading brands is hard to beat.

Holger Bargen Senior Member • Posts: 1,399
Re: Nikon is not afraid of the 645 Z
4

The 645 Z is a camera for professionals.

Is Nikon still a brand for professionals?

The link indicates: No.

Best regards

Holger

 Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads