Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jyhfeei
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: Third party batteries
In reply to goloby, 6 months ago

goloby wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a spare battery for my xe1. Amazon has 2 brands that have good reviews and cost 1/4 of a Fuji battery. Anyone here using Maxsima or ex-pro batteries? Or any other brand that you are pleased with.

Thanks,

Sorin

As many have noted, the Wasabi batteries seem to be good replacement batteries. They fit well and last essentially the same as the Fuji battery. One thing you should keep in mind is that the Wasabi batteries can be purchased with a decent charger. This is where the Wasabi may be better than the OEM. The Fuji charger is by far the least reliable charger of the major camera brands. Lensrentals stated the Fuji charger failure rate was nearly 10x the norm.

jyhfeei's gear list:jyhfeei's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goloby
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
In reply to jyhfeei, 6 months ago

Not many people from the UK on this forum.

Regarding buying cheaper batteries opposed to OEM ones, same reason why one would by third party lenses really, they can be cheaper and sometimes even better. As someone already stated, Fuji does not make batteries, they could be rebranded wasabis or any other brand. For some people spending 50 pounds on a battery might not be a big deal, some might have struggled to get the money for the camera in the first place, others just will not pay blindly for what they could get cheaper.

goloby's gear list:goloby's gear list
Nikon D90 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +12 more
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,007Gear list
Like?

I went with a couple of swag batteries from Amazon

Halcyon 1800 mAH Lithium Ion

Much cheaper than original, but they only last approx 2/3 the time of the original - so it's a trade off

The Fuji branded batteries are stupidly expensive - but they are in this to make money after all!

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 6 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

I do not believe in 3rd party batteries because the OEM are inexpensive vs what the camera costs.

I don't get trying to save $20 when you easily spend upwards of $1,000 or more on gear.

Fuji doesn't make batteries. They just slap their logo on someone else's. So what's the point?

Your money do what you want.

I want to know that if anything happens to the camera that it ever needs a repair I can eliminate a 3rd party battery issue and voiding of any warrantee issues.

It is such a minor expense when you have at minimum over 2K in just a camera and one lens that $20 is that big a deal.

OP has an XE1 so the price difference is around $50 between a Wasabi and Fuji branded one. If he's anything like me and likes to keep around 4 spares for that battery eater, that's almost $200 bucks more.

jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?

After reading this post, I checked for the Wasabi 2 batteries/charger package on Amazon (NP-126), and they are not there.  The batteries alone are backordered until April 12, and there are none at BlueNook - same April 12 date.  There aren't even any on EBay.

FYI.

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Do Wasabis last as long? Do they quit with no warning?
In reply to 94, 6 months ago

My Power2000 batteries (albeit for different camera) die quickly and without warning. Is Wasabi better in this regard?

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725Gear list
Like?

goloby wrote:

Regarding buying cheaper batteries opposed to OEM ones, same reason why one would by third party lenses really, they can be cheaper and sometimes even better. As someone already stated, Fuji does not make batteries, they could be rebranded wasabis or any other brand. For some people spending 50 pounds on a battery might not be a big deal, some might have struggled to get the money for the camera in the first place, others just will not pay blindly for what they could get cheaper.

The people that advocate only using OEM batteries go throughout life being ripped off every day. As you said, they can't use 3rd party lenses. They are full of electronics that might damage the camera. Same thing for flashes. Memory cards? Back to the OEM because they electronically interface with the camera and might cause problems.

Can you imagine the rest of their lives. What did that car cost? Better not use oil other than that branded by the auto manufacturer. Need parts? Back to the dealer for OEM parts.

Got a lawn mower, leaf blower, edge trimmer? Only oil and parts branded by the OEM. The list goes on and on.

I suspect almost none of these brand advocates adhere to their own advice. If they do, they make a lot more money than I ever made.

-- hide signature --

Steve

daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

I purchased the Patona battery. They make a point to say developed in Germany, which means manufactured elsewhere. The battery was good for about the 1st 3 months, giving me 90% of the Fuji capacity. In the last 3 months, capacity has degraded to about 40% of the Fuji. I'm going to try Wasabi.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,750Gear list
Like?

I bought Watson batteries and charger along with my X-E2 from B&H.  Watson is a B&H house brand so I'm confident that if anything bad happened due to the battery B&H would take care of it.  The batteries perform identically to the the Fuji battery.

The batteries for the Fuji are very basic, no chips or electronics onboard.  That's why the battery meter is so unreliable on these cameras.  Unlike with most DSLRs, there's no advantage to buying the branded version batteries for X-cams.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
alun
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?

Hi,

My wife and I both use X-E1s and we have purchased 3 ExPro batteries through E-Bay. The same seller also offers them through Amazon UK.

In our experience they perform just as well as the Fuji supplied batteries.

Best wishes,

Alun

EdW66
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 6 months ago

I'm from uk, but bought my xe1 whilst on holiday in orlanda, air shipped from b& h,  and still loads cheaper than "rip off Britain!" Bought 2 spare watson batteries which seen to last as well as the Fuji ones (which doesn't last long anyway compared to my Nikon SLR batteries. I agree you need to be careful with lithium batteries - I teach transport of dangerous goods and lithum is real dodgy stuff, but the Watson brand seems pretty good and I agree a company like B & H which we evenknow of (and look at the prices with envious eyes!) In the uk, will be more than keen to their protect good name, so I'm confident their fine

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,675Gear list
Like?
Re: Do Wasabis last as long? Do they quit with no warning?
In reply to tesilab, 6 months ago

tesilab wrote:

My Power2000 batteries (albeit for different camera) die quickly and without warning. Is Wasabi better in this regard?

In the Fuji X Mount cameras, it doesn't matter what battery you use. The metering system used by the camera only reports the power level remaining in the battery is in the "danger" zone when it's practically gone.

As far as I can tell, the Wasabi batteries last for the same average number of shots as do my Fuji OEM and Canon OEM batteries.

jm10
Senior MemberPosts: 1,161Gear list
Like?
Re: Do Wasabis last as long? Do they quit with no warning?
In reply to tesilab, 6 months ago

tesilab wrote:

Yes, in my experience Wasabi batteries last as long as original batteries - makes no difference. Charge time is also about the same.

jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,867Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 6 months ago

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

goloby wrote:

The people that advocate only using OEM batteries go throughout life being ripped off every day. As you said, they can't use 3rd party lenses. They are full of electronics that might damage the camera. Same thing for flashes. Memory cards? Back to the OEM because they electronically interface with the camera and might cause problems.

Can you imagine the rest of their lives. What did that car cost? Better not use oil other than that branded by the auto manufacturer. Need parts? Back to the dealer for OEM parts.

Got a lawn mower, leaf blower, edge trimmer? Only oil and parts branded by the OEM. The list goes on and on.

I suspect almost none of these brand advocates adhere to their own advice. If they do, they make a lot more money than I ever made.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Good points!  Like anything else, buyer beware and do a little research.  OEM isn't always better, as I noted.  A friend is a regional US service/warranty director for a Japanese auto manufacturer that also builds cars in the U.S.  To realize economies on freight and just in time inventory, there are many U.S. sourced parts on the American built vehicles.  Somewhat to Tokyo's chagrin the American built vehicles have a slightly lower defect rate than their Japanese brothers which he attributes to the third-party parts

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EOS 50D +20 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,555
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 6 months ago

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

goloby wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve

For some slapping a Fuji logo on a Sandisk memory card justifies paying twice the price. Some have the money to be more brand loyal, but I for one am quite happy saving over $1K buying 3rd party accessories for my Fuji gear. Cards, batteries, cases, lens hoods, filters, straps, adapters, chargers... it all adds up.

antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
Why take the risk to buy non-brands?

goloby wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a spare battery for my xe1. Amazon has 2 brands that have good reviews and cost 1/4 of a Fuji battery. Anyone here using Maxsima or ex-pro batteries? Or any other brand that you are pleased with.

Thanks,

Sorin

Hi Sorin,

not sure why you seem to think it is worth to take the risk of using non-Fuji batteries?

Here's how I reason about this:

- your investment in the X-E1 and lenses is most certainly over $1'000 (body only is $800).  If your 3rd-party battery blew up (we all know that Li-ion technology is still not as perfect as everyone would like) then the Fuji warranty wouldn't cover anything.

- the Fuji battery for the X-E1 is around $55.  So even if the 3rd-party battery is just 1/4th of this i.e. around $14, you'll be saving only $41.  If you buy two, you'll be saving $82.  And to "save" the $82 you'll be taking a risk that you are with a less safe battery, and more importantly you'll be taking the risk that if anything happens then your warranty will not cover anything.  In other words you seem ready to take a risk on a precious piece of equipment, to make a "saving" of around 5% of the value of that equipment.  Doesn't seem very logical to me.

- and this is even before I start with the value (emotional and potentially commercial) of the photographs taken with that camera, and which might also get lost should a 3-rd party battery blow-up.

But perhaps your logic is different - if so I'd be happy to hear it!

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,750Gear list
Like?
Re: Why take the risk to buy non-brands?
In reply to antoineb, 6 months ago

antoineb wrote:

goloby wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Sorin

Hi Sorin,

not sure why you seem to think it is worth to take the risk of using non-Fuji batteries?

- your investment in the X-E1 and lenses is most certainly over $1'000 (body only is $800). If your 3rd-party battery blew up (we all know that Li-ion technology is still not as perfect as everyone would like) then the Fuji warranty wouldn't cover anything.

- the Fuji battery for the X-E1 is around $55. So even if the 3rd-party battery is just 1/4th of this i.e. around $14, you'll be saving only $41. If you buy two, you'll be saving $82. And to "save" the $82 you'll be taking a risk that you are with a less safe battery, and more importantly you'll be taking the risk that if anything happens then your warranty will not cover anything. In other words you seem ready to take a risk on a precious piece of equipment, to make a "saving" of around 5% of the value of that equipment. Doesn't seem very logical to me.

- and this is even before I start with the value (emotional and potentially commercial) of the photographs taken with that camera, and which might also get lost should a 3-rd party battery blow-up.

For any of this to matter there would have to be some demonstrated risk.  There has never been any report, anywhere, in the world, of any batteries made for X-cameras, made for Fuji or made for third party companies ever blowing up or causing ANY problems.  The possibility is high that all these batteries are made by one manufacturer as Fuji has a very small market share.

Again, these are very unsophisticated batteries with no special electronics or chips.  They are more like AA batteries than DSLR batteries.  Pay more if you like, but they all have the same chance of blowing up, which as of now is zero.

If I missed reports of blown up third party Fuji batteries please correct me.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,678Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 6 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

antoineb wrote:

goloby wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Sorin

Hi Sorin,

- your investment in the X-E1 and lenses is most certainly over $1'000 (body only is $800). If your 3rd-party battery blew up (we all know that Li-ion technology is still not as perfect as everyone would like) then the Fuji warranty wouldn't cover anything.

- the Fuji battery for the X-E1 is around $55. So even if the 3rd-party battery is just 1/4th of this i.e. around $14, you'll be saving only $41. If you buy two, you'll be saving $82. And to "save" the $82 you'll be taking a risk that you are with a less safe battery, and more importantly you'll be taking the risk that if anything happens then your warranty will not cover anything. In other words you seem ready to take a risk on a precious piece of equipment, to make a "saving" of around 5% of the value of that equipment. Doesn't seem very logical to me.

For any of this to matter there would have to be some demonstrated risk. There has never been any report, anywhere, in the world, of any batteries made for X-cameras, made for Fuji or made for third party companies ever blowing up or causing ANY problems. The possibility is high that all these batteries are made by one manufacturer as Fuji has a very small market share.

Again, these are very unsophisticated batteries with no special electronics or chips. They are more like AA batteries than DSLR batteries. Pay more if you like, but they all have the same chance of blowing up, which as of now is zero.

Sal

I wouldn't say they were all made by the same manufacturer.  I suspect the cheaper knockoffs are not made by the OEM.  Having said that, I've never had a problem that caused damage to a device, with any aftermarket battery.  I've literally bought hundreds over the years and saved enough to buy the X-T1.  I wish I could say the same with name brand alkaline batteries.  I've had a few of those leak and ruin electronics.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 6 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

I do not believe in 3rd party batteries because the OEM are inexpensive vs what the camera costs.

I don't get trying to save $20 when you easily spend upwards of $1,000 or more on gear.

Apples and oranges unless you're trying to allege that the 3rd party batteries have damaged a camera. I suppose you also use only factory-original camera straps and lens caps. Better safe than sorry, right? And the sky would fall if you used a non-OEM lens.

I wonder who makes Fuji batteries? I'd bet it isn't Fuji and I'd bet profit on the battery is a factor in who they pick as suppliers.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, 6 months ago

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

antoineb wrote:

goloby wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Sorin

Hi Sorin,

For any of this to matter there would have to be some demonstrated risk. There has never been any report, anywhere, in the world, of any batteries made for X-cameras, made for Fuji or made for third party companies ever blowing up or causing ANY problems. The possibility is high that all these batteries are made by one manufacturer as Fuji has a very small market share.

Again, these are very unsophisticated batteries with no special electronics or chips. They are more like AA batteries than DSLR batteries. Pay more if you like, but they all have the same chance of blowing up, which as of now is zero.

Sal

I wouldn't say they were all made by the same manufacturer. I suspect the cheaper knockoffs are not made by the OEM. Having said that, I've never had a problem that caused damage to a device, with any aftermarket battery. I've literally bought hundreds over the years and saved enough to buy the X-T1. I wish I could say the same with name brand alkaline batteries. I've had a few of those leak and ruin electronics.

Hi Daniel,

I just ordered my new X-T1 and would like to pick up some of these Wasabi batteries for it.  Is there a specific model number I should be looking for to be able to work in the X-T1?

Best place to purchase these?

Thanks

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads