Third party batteries

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
goloby
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
Third party batteries
3 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a spare battery for my xe1. Amazon has 2 brands that have good reviews and cost 1/4 of a Fuji battery. Anyone here using Maxsima or ex-pro batteries? Or any other brand that you are pleased with.

Thanks,

Sorin

goloby's gear list:goloby's gear list
Nikon D90 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?
Re: Third party batteries
In reply to goloby, 3 months ago

I've had good luck with the Wasabi brand; less good with the Power2000.

I also have two Fui batteries for each Fuji body, that being true even though the XP-1 and XT-1 share.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dmaclau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?

I also have had good luck with Wasabi batteries.

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-M1 +1 more
WooBall32
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to dmaclau, 3 months ago

dmaclau wrote:

I also have had good luck with Wasabi batteries.

+1 on Wasabi. I have 2 Fuji and 2 Wasabi batteries that I rotate, and I can't tell the difference.

Also, I like their charger...

WooBall32's gear list:WooBall32's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,415
Like?
Wasabi
In reply to dmaclau, 3 months ago

Another vote for Wasabi & their 110V/car charger

-- hide signature --

Warren

goloby
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
Re: Wasabi
In reply to WT Jones, 3 months ago

Wasabi batteries are not available on amazon uk, they can be found on ebay for £30 which is way over the $10 on amazon us.

goloby's gear list:goloby's gear list
Nikon D90 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Aotearoaman
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

I would highly recommend Wasabi batteries. I used them with my Olypus EM-5 and now with my XT-1. The charger is excellent and the car-kit adds versatility. Blue Nook supplied mine on both occasions and I can recommend their prompt international service...

www.bluenook.com

Aotearoaman's gear list:Aotearoaman's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +11 more
mjh04
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aotearoaman, 3 months ago

Another vote for Wasabi.  I have also had these for both the Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X-T1 and have been very pleased.  I also like the charger that plugs directly into the wall as I don't care for the chargers with chords that both Olympus and Fuji provide.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

mjh04's gear list:mjh04's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,970Gear list
Like?

I do not believe in 3rd party batteries because the OEM are inexpensive vs what the camera costs.

I don't get trying to save $20 when you easily spend upwards of $1,000 or more on gear.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,920Gear list
Like?

I've been using Wasabi batteries from BlueNook for the past 5-6 years. First with Canon, and now with Fuji X-E1. I can't tell the difference between the OEM's & these aftermarkets.

The Wasabi aftermarket chargers that come with the 2-battery kit for Fuji is much better than the OEM charger, and the 12-volt car charger is a bonus.

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 3 months ago

I do not believe in 3rd party batteries because the OEM are inexpensive vs what the camera costs.

I don't get trying to save $20 when you easily spend upwards of $1,000 or more on gear.

Fuji doesn't make batteries. They just slap their logo on someone else's. So what's the point?

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,312Gear list
Like?

goloby wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a spare battery for my xe1. Amazon has 2 brands that have good reviews and cost 1/4 of a Fuji battery. Anyone here using Maxsima or ex-pro batteries? Or any other brand that you are pleased with.

Thanks,

Sorin

I've bought 100's of after market batteries for everything from cameras to cell phones and never had a single one damage anything.  They often aren't quite as long lasting and I've had a one or two give up the ghost but generally they've saved me a lot of cash over the years.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,970Gear list
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 3 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

Fuji doesn't make batteries. They just slap their logo on someone else's. So what's the point?

Your money do what you want.

I want to know that if anything happens to the camera that it ever needs a repair I can eliminate a 3rd party battery issue and voiding of any warrantee issues.

It is such a minor expense when you have at minimum over 2K in just a camera and one lens that $20 is that big a deal.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
FD1025
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?

I use Wasabi on my XE-1 and X100s. Also used Wasabi on a Sony NEX-F3 I used to have. No problems noted.

Brad Herman
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
In reply to FD1025, 3 months ago

I've been using Lenmar batteries from Thomas Distributing for several years and have found them to be as good or better than the OEM Fuji batteries.

Brad

Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,841Gear list
Like?
A vote for Wasabi.

Just because the product is OEM does not always make it better! The Wasabi batteries I use in my Nikon 1 V1 bodies are, IMHO, better than OEM. I know this isn't always the case and sometimes there can be issues but I just bought four Wasabis for Fuji and they seem to work well, too. The OEM equipment can be overpriced and, in the case of batteries, very much so. You do have to be careful at times about going with something you don't know and a little research can go a long way.

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,841Gear list
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Your money do what you want.

I want to know that if anything happens to the camera that it ever needs a repair I can eliminate a 3rd party battery issue and voiding of any warrantee issues.

It is such a minor expense when you have at minimum over 2K in just a camera and one lens that $20 is that big a deal.

Agree and disagree here.  I always have several batteries on hand so $20 or $30 or $40 is multiplied many times and Wasabi is a reputable brand.  You are correct in pointing out warranty issues.  Canon has found some counterfeit batteries over the years which had internal resistors that failed and could cause overheating and a fire.  That's pretty rare.  I have had third party batteries that are better, as good as and not as good as OEM so research is probably the best tool.

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,343Gear list
Like?

I always buy the real thing. There's no worry that way. I have a feeling using a third party battery might invalidate the warranty if it went wrong.

Aside from that the battery is such a small part of the overall cost of the system. I've spent about £3k so far so saving £20 on the spare battery seems a bit churlish.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249
Like?

I would advise against Chinese knock offs. First, you'll get lower capacity. You can measure the number of pictures or just put it on a scale, a counterfeit battery typically weighs less. You can find on youtube the guts of some of those batteries and they are very sloppily made. Which leads to the second problem, they may explode, catch fire, or just overheat, leak and damage the camera. I don't see any logic in buying an expensive camera and then taking risk with some garbage batteries trying to save a few bucks.

jonnie burtoft
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?

goloby wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Sorin

Hi, I bought 3 ex pro batteries from amazon uk, they work perfectly and I see no difference compared to the fuji branded battery. Cheers, jon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads