Nikon 105 for butterfly collection

Started 5 months ago | Questions
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 105 for butterfly collection
In reply to labalaba, 5 months ago

Thanks for the input, we are not far apart in our thinking. For a future "coffee table book" quality session, I expect to use different colour / texture combinations to best accent and "lift" each individual specimen. Cheers Andrew

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TQGroup
Like?
In reply to ormdig, 5 months ago

May I suggest taking a leaf out of the picture framer's book? For the colour panel/s inside the frame, they often colour / texture match to each specific painting / picture. The idea is to accentuate whatever is desired and you will find that they carry an extensive range of colour and texture combinations to achieve their optimum "look". For a cataloging process, some kind of neutral uniformity is best, I believe.

Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
TQGroup
Like?
Re: Using photo file numbers to idetify specimens
In reply to dave gaines, 5 months ago

Thanks Dave, all good food for thought. I do not believe there is a numbering system currently in place, just a variety of "data labels" next to each specimen. When I find out more about whether this project could / should "dovetail" into an existing or planned database, we can make more informed decisions. Cheers Andrew

TQGroup
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 5 months ago

Many thanks for some interesting thinking, Craig. That could well be the way to go...

As commented to an earlier post, I still haven't completed the "due diligence" om whether there is an existing or planned system of cataloging in place for SE Asia. IF so, as we are interested in supporting scientific research, we will almost certainly comply with that system's cataloging procedures. If not, I could use another system existing elsewhere as a "template" from which to design our own.

Due to the large number of images planned, and my desire not to apply for permanent residency in Asia, my goal is to absolutely minimise the time taken to photograph 10,000+ specimens for cataloging and database entry purposes. Cheers Andrew

Peter Damroth
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
Re: butterfly collection & R1C1 macro twin flash
In reply to StillLearning, 5 months ago

StillLearning wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

Peter, the D600 has high speed synch capabilities that can be set up in the camera's menu. In effect, the flash fires a series of very short "partial" bursts to effect correct exposure and this technique can be very valuable over very short distances.

I apologise for not being able to get into my camera's menu at present and giving you the exact setting details; ... my D600 is being "re-shuttered" at Nikon Sydney for another week or two.

On my D7100 it is e1 flash sync 1/250 (Auto FP)

Thanks for the response . I am aware of the multi flash high sync. mode....for some reason I was thinking the 600 had something new....

-- hide signature --

Peter Damroth Photography

Peter Damroth's gear list:Peter Damroth's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Peter Damroth
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
Re: Like that diffuser
In reply to TQGroup, 5 months ago

TQGroup wrote:

I do not want to plug a certain "reluctant millionaire", he's plenty good enough at self-promotion, but I find his collapsible light sphere very effective, convenient and portable... and not just for macro photography.

A few weeks ago, together with another friend we shot a large wedding in Melbourne for mutual friends. I had planned to use 4 x D910's on light stands with PW's for optimum lighting across the room. When we saw the size of the ballroom, we quickly realised we needed at least 8 and we didn't bring that many with us. So, we both had these lightspheres and the results we achieved with them on our D910's directly mounted on a D800 (his) / D600 (mine) using 24-70 F2.8 lenses were absolutely outstanding!

Another friend who's doing a lot of environmental portraiture also swears by the same manufacturer's "snoot"...

Just bought one! It will come in handy.

-- hide signature --

Peter Damroth's gear list:Peter Damroth's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to TQGroup, 5 months ago

Too bad the youth today, are mostly so wrapped up and brain warped from their envelopment of idiot box video games, senseless music and ridiculous fashions. They will never notice the beauty of natures splendour.

Most parents often say that the music of the current generation is crappy, and in many instances this is so true today. But, oh well. What ever floats your pet GOAT!!

A butterfly for the modern generation...

I can hardly wait to venture into your butterfly parlour.

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
TQGroup
Like?
In reply to Photofunster, 5 months ago

Photofunster wrote:

Too bad the youth today, are mostly so wrapped up and brain warped from their envelopment of idiot box video games, senseless music and ridiculous fashions. They will never notice the beauty of natures splendour.

Most parents often say that the music of the current generation is crappy, and in many instances this is so true today. But, oh well. What ever floats your pet GOAT!!

A butterfly for the modern generation...

I can hardly wait to venture into your butterfly parlour.

Chas

Hi Chas

I may not know art but I do know what I like. I like!

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

TQGroup
Like?
Re: butterfly collection & R1C1 macro twin flash
In reply to Peter Damroth, 5 months ago

Peter Damroth wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

Peter, the D600 has high speed synch capabilities that can be set up in the camera's menu. In effect, the flash fires a series of very short "partial" bursts to effect correct exposure and this technique can be very valuable over very short distances.

I apologise for not being able to get into my camera's menu at present and giving you the exact setting details; ... my D600 is being "re-shuttered" at Nikon Sydney for another week or two.

On my D7100 it is e1 flash sync 1/250 (Auto FP)

Thanks for the response . I am aware of the multi flash high sync. mode....for some reason I was thinking the 600 had something new....

-- hide signature --

Hi Peter

You are right it has... the "dirtiest" shutter in the business!

TQGroup
Like?
Re: Like that diffuser
In reply to Peter Damroth, 5 months ago

Peter Damroth wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

I do not want to plug a certain "reluctant millionaire", he's plenty good enough at self-promotion, but I find his collapsible light sphere very effective, convenient and portable... and not just for macro photography.

A few weeks ago, together with another friend we shot a large wedding in Melbourne for mutual friends. I had planned to use 4 x D910's on light stands with PW's for optimum lighting across the room. When we saw the size of the ballroom, we quickly realised we needed at least 8 and we didn't bring that many with us. So, we both had these lightspheres and the results we achieved with them on our D910's directly mounted on a D800 (his) / D600 (mine) using 24-70 F2.8 lenses were absolutely outstanding!

Another friend who's doing a lot of environmental portraiture also swears by the same manufacturer's "snoot"...

Just bought one! It will come in handy.

-- hide signature --

Hope it is good for you too... I find it works best most of the time with the flash head and diffuser dome pointing up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads