D9300 - For real or just another tease?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,828
Like?
If you want it that soon..
In reply to StillLearning, 5 months ago

..by now, we would know what kind of camera it would be. Besides, following your argument the southern half of our planet is half a year off the pace..so september would not be too bad.

Expect announcements for Photokina in Cologne, if it isn't just another hoax.

Lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?
Re: If you want it that soon..
In reply to lock, 5 months ago

lock wrote:

..by now, we would know what kind of camera it would be. Besides, following your argument the southern half of our planet is half a year off the pace..so september would not be too bad.

Expect announcements for Photokina in Cologne, if it isn't just another hoax.

Lock

Correct.  I wasn't thinking of those south of the equator.  Would be interesting to know the number of nikon photographers by geographical location.  I'd expect nikon's marketing department to have that info.  Plus what locations get the new releases first.  It all still boils down to how soon they can release a new model because money is still the bottom line.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Twinion
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: If you want it that soon..
In reply to StillLearning, 5 months ago

StillLearning wrote:

lock wrote:

..by now, we would know what kind of camera it would be. Besides, following your argument the southern half of our planet is half a year off the pace..so september would not be too bad.

Expect announcements for Photokina in Cologne, if it isn't just another hoax.

Lock

Correct. I wasn't thinking of those south of the equator. Would be interesting to know the number of nikon photographers by geographical location. I'd expect nikon's marketing department to have that info. Plus what locations get the new releases first. It all still boils down to how soon they can release a new model because money is still the bottom line.

That data isn't particularly handy, but the closest you can easily come by is their revenue by region on their yearly fact sheet.  I pulled out the most recent data and made a quick chart.

I think it's hard to draw too many conclusions from this, especially since there's a huge amount of revenue "overseas" and in "other", but I think it's fair to say that their revenue is spread out globally far more than many companies.

Compare that spread to Canon:

 Twinion's gear list:Twinion's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?
Re: If you want it that soon..
In reply to Twinion, 5 months ago

Twinion wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

lock wrote:

..by now, we would know what kind of camera it would be. Besides, following your argument the southern half of our planet is half a year off the pace..so september would not be too bad.

Expect announcements for Photokina in Cologne, if it isn't just another hoax.

Lock

Correct. I wasn't thinking of those south of the equator. Would be interesting to know the number of nikon photographers by geographical location. I'd expect nikon's marketing department to have that info. Plus what locations get the new releases first. It all still boils down to how soon they can release a new model because money is still the bottom line.

That data isn't particularly handy, but the closest you can easily come by is their revenue by region on their yearly fact sheet. I pulled out the most recent data and made a quick chart.

I think it's hard to draw too many conclusions from this, especially since there's a huge amount of revenue "overseas" and in "other", but I think it's fair to say that their revenue is spread out globally far more than many companies.

Compare that spread to Canon:

Thank you that is informative.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,359Gear list
Like?
Thom is quiet...
In reply to StillLearning, 5 months ago

He dove right in on NR on the D800s rumour, although as I recall he didn't speak directly to the rumour. He hasn't shown up on this thread in NR. I'm not saying this means anything, but he pointed fairly strongly to a D9000 over the past few months.

-- hide signature --

Jim

 JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rdhphoto1
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
So is KR....
In reply to JimPearce, 5 months ago

......I'm worried.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vwsjr
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
Re: So is KR....
In reply to rdhphoto1, 5 months ago

I'll speak for KR.  This is the best DX camera Nikon has ever made.  Do you need it?  No, you can take great pictures with a 20 year old camera and lenses.  But if you want the best DX camera Nikon has ever made, please click on the links below to order and help support my site.

 vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?
Re: Thom is quiet...
In reply to JimPearce, 5 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

He dove right in on NR on the D800s rumour, although as I recall he didn't speak directly to the rumour. He hasn't shown up on this thread in NR. I'm not saying this means anything, but he pointed fairly strongly to a D9000 over the past few months.

Thom hasn't put anything on his site in the last week.  Not sure his silence means anything yet.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ToothDoc
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
Re: Thom is quiet...
In reply to jfriend00, 5 months ago

"I’m going to take my own advice and work a bit harder on my own viewfinder hours goals for the rest of the year. Indeed, I’m going to go log some serious viewfinder hours for a couple of weeks, and with a number of the more talked about recent cameras. Thus, the bythom sites will be mostly quiet until April 15th, when I come back into the office and start spending more keyboard hours again ;~)."

Thom's quote dated March 26

-- hide signature --

Lionel

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
bad timing..
In reply to ToothDoc, 5 months ago

ToothDoc wrote:

"I’m going to take my own advice and work a bit harder on my own viewfinder hours goals for the rest of the year. Indeed, I’m going to go log some serious viewfinder hours for a couple of weeks, and with a number of the more talked about recent cameras. Thus, the bythom sites will be mostly quiet until April 15th, when I come back into the office and start spending more keyboard hours again ;~)."

Thom's quote dated March 26

-- hide signature --

Lionel

looks like he took his own and others advice seriously for once.

Also, now that this thread is reaching its end, I can't wait for regurgitation of the same arguments and demands in 100s of newer threads/posts, instead of taking Thoms advice as well

 Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads