D9300 - For real or just another tease?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
NDaniel
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
Re: D9300 - For real or just another tease?
In reply to StillLearning, 5 months ago

I'm ready to get broke....

but hey... on recent problem, dust, AF etc.. I prefer to put it back in the bank for at least 1 year, after collecting all complaint that may arise here

Nis

-- hide signature --

Keep shooting!
http://indonesiaonthestreets.com
www.facebook.com/nisdanielphotography

NDaniel's gear list:NDaniel's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you be OK with XQD slot instead of CF, Jim?
In reply to greenmanphoto, 5 months ago

I would guess, odds are the new D9300 camera would not have 4K video, so Nikon can reserve that feature for the next version of FF camera. I would hope though for Full HD instead at 1080 and 60P or 30P. Likely will have some type of video, as most new cameras have it. New PDAF on sensor would be nice if possible.

And as a faster fps camera for sports or wildlife shooters, maybe still photos is all many people need. But more people using video these days, as it becomes more popular and better in new cameras. And Nikon would want to attract diversity of new buyers looking for higher spec features (without having to go full frame).

As a higher spec than a D7100 camera or higher model number, it would be higher priced. My guess, between $1800 or up to $2300 maybe depending on feature set. However, if they decide not to use as rugged as D300 body, maybe price would be lower, like $1600 to $1800 to start. Maybe.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
2.7K Video?
In reply to Adrian Van, 5 months ago

Adrian Van wrote:

I would guess, odds are the new D9300 camera would not have 4K video, so Nikon can reserve that feature for the next version of FF camera. I would hope though for Full HD instead at 1080 and 60P or 30P. Likely will have some type of video, as most new cameras have it. New PDAF on sensor would be nice if possible.

What about 2.7K? It should allow for better cropping and sharpness when downsampled. Sure it's not a standard being 2704x1524 but I'll take it over 1920x1080 (1080).

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have 4K but 2.7K is better than just HD footage.

And as a faster fps camera for sports or wildlife shooters, maybe still photos is all many people need. But more people using video these days, as it becomes more popular and better in new cameras. And Nikon would want to attract diversity of new buyers looking for higher spec features (without having to go full frame).

As a higher spec than a D7100 camera or higher model number, it would be higher priced. My guess, between $1800 or up to $2300 maybe depending on feature set. However, if they decide not to use as rugged as D300 body, maybe price would be lower, like $1600 to $1800 to start. Maybe.

$2300 is the most I'd be willing to spend on a DX body. Maybe $2700 if it is a D2X replacement with 24mp, 11fps and ~30 frame buffer.   WOW WHAT A CAMERA THAT WOULD BE!

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,114Gear list
Like?
In reply to pavi1, 5 months ago

pavi1 wrote:

n057 wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Retzius wrote:

Good news. However, until I see a commitment from Nikon to a true DX lens line I still won't bite.

If the only DX lenses they are gonna make are 18-XXX zooms then what is the point...

You will be waiting a long time. A DX 24mm 1.4 would cost very close to FX 24mm 1.4. Same with all the other focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

However, if they want to deliver same FOV as one gets on FX at 24mm, that would mean 16mm 1.4 for DX. A Whole nother matter. Even a DX 16/1.8 would be as exciting as the DX 35/1.8.

The price difference between 1.8 and 1.4 is huge. 24mm is 24 mm does not mater FX or DX. A 16mm 1.4 FX and a 16mm 1.4 DX will be very close in price.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Sorry that I was not clear enough. My comments were not on the price, just on the fact that to me a DX 16/1.4 would be more interesting than a 24/1.4. But then that's me

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Commando961
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: How would you tell the difference Allan?
In reply to JimPearce, 5 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

The choice of D9x000 designation suggests the possibility of a fresh approach merging some of the strengths of the Dx00 line and D7x000 line. I certainly don't care if it's a carbon fiber reinforced plastic body if that is the appropriate way to get the optimal combination of strength and weight. On the other hand, I would really like to see a CF slot, AF-On button and a 10 pin connector (in that order of priority). But 8 fps, a decent raw buffer and great autofocus is what we wildlife shooters absolutely need from Nikon at this point. Do you see it differently?

-- hide signature --

Jim

That would be pretty much ballpark. I would guess that it would *at least match the Pentax K3*, which does 8.3fps and large buffer for 50-60 frames continuous shooting. It would have an AF based on that in the D4S and D800S, with crop mode as in D7100 and D800-level metering. I hope it would have a seperate motor for the aperture so that the aperture can be adjusted in LiveView currently not possible in the DX range but is possible in the FX Pro cameras, for improved control in video work, which just might be 4K capable (why does anyone need 4K?). As it slots in above the D7100 it would have features that the D7100 doesn't have so an AF-On button would be a possibility. Given that UHS-II SD cards are available now I would guess that they will go that way rather than CF. Could they fit two CF cards or one CF and one SD?

I really don't think we need more pixels - 24MP is plenty, but, it would be an all new sensor which, in conjunction with EXPEED 4, would have improved noise performance and dynamic range. Less than 24MP would mean less usefullness with the crop mode as in D7100 which gives 15.4MP.

But more attention to lenses is needed. With Sigma coming out with some awesome lenses for DX and FX recently Nikon need to revamp their DX lens range. There is a rumour of a Nikon equivalent of the Sigma 18-35 f1.8, but a few more primes are needed. But many are satisfied using the likes of the 70-200 f4 or f2.8 and the new 80-400 FX lenses on their DX bodies.

It would be a more robust semi-Pro build with shutter tested to 200,000, 1/8000th top shutter speed and at least 1/250th, possibly 1/320th flash sync speed. It would probably have an improved algorithm for moire control as in the upcoming D800S.

But how long do we wait, we who have been dying for the long-rumoured D400? I really really hope it is before August/September.

Commando961's gear list:Commando961's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Commando961
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to n057, 5 months ago

n057 wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

n057 wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Retzius wrote:

Good news. However, until I see a commitment from Nikon to a true DX lens line I still won't bite.

If the only DX lenses they are gonna make are 18-XXX zooms then what is the point...

You will be waiting a long time. A DX 24mm 1.4 would cost very close to FX 24mm 1.4. Same with all the other focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

However, if they want to deliver same FOV as one gets on FX at 24mm, that would mean 16mm 1.4 for DX. A Whole nother matter. Even a DX 16/1.8 would be as exciting as the DX 35/1.8.

The price difference between 1.8 and 1.4 is huge. 24mm is 24 mm does not mater FX or DX. A 16mm 1.4 FX and a 16mm 1.4 DX will be very close in price.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Sorry that I was not clear enough. My comments were not on the price, just on the fact that to me a DX 16/1.4 would be more interesting than a 24/1.4. But then that's me

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

I think we can expect Samyang (who are according to a rumour going to start making AF lenses) and Sigma to take up the slack with some nice DX primes.

Commando961's gear list:Commando961's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?
A piece of the puzzle?

Not sure how many in here are paying attention to the release date of the Tamron 150-600 for Nikon, but I've seen some posts about Tamron waiting for "the specs" of some new camera(s) that Nikon is releasing to make sure there lens will function properly...  Perhaps the D9300 has a new AF protocol of some kind?

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
EcoPix
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to seahawk, 5 months ago

It would fit where the d7100 is - a medium weight enthusiast camera for people with screwdriver lenses. And a D9k at just under full pro level (with 4k vid and a slot for the V3's viewfinder, Aunty Nikon). Makes sense to me.

Except that I too gave up waiting and bought a D7100 recently - it's fine on 12-bit compressed raw only, with the Pro 65mb/s card.

So after waiting years, too late for me. But in a couple of years time, after the bugs are ironed out (D9310) and my D7100 has 50000 on the clock, I'll look forward to a pro-grade DX after nine years of waiting.

EcoPix
Like?
In reply to greenmanphoto, 5 months ago

It's not we who want video, it's our customers. I'm a stills photographer, but I don't have a choice (except to say no, use someone who will!).

We're asked to do both at the same time - how can you do that without it being in the one camera? The appeal of 4K is that it can be both, if 8mp is adequate for the end use, eg. most print media.

EcoPix
Like?

I'm sure they've had an option ready for rapid implementation for at least three years.

Reason why they've delayed: promoting full frame and protecting full frame lens sales (also the reason for 2nd rate DX lenses); Sony and Oly dropping out of the SLR market helped them to continue this strategy.

Reason why they have to make a move now: Pentax.

Nikon and Canon are in cahoots over the full frame thing (coincidently or physically - who knows?) - Pentax (Ricoh) is the wildcard, and they're playing it very well.

I'd like to think Nikon are also responding to the groundswell of bad feeling towards them from within Nikon heartland, but I doubt it.

Thank Pentax for a D300 replacement!

LarH
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?
In reply to EcoPix, 5 months ago

EcoPix wrote:

I'm sure they've had an option ready for rapid implementation for at least three years.

Wouldn't that mean we'd be getting a new camera with three year old technology?

Reason why they've delayed: promoting full frame and protecting full frame lens sales (also the reason for 2nd rate DX lenses); Sony and Oly dropping out of the SLR market helped them to continue this strategy.

Reason why they have to make a move now: Pentax.

If they were worried about Pentax they would have done something last year. This is in response to the rumored Canon 7d Mark II.

Nikon and Canon are in cahoots over the full frame thing (coincidently or physically - who knows?) - Pentax (Ricoh) is the wildcard, and they're playing it very well.

I'd like to think Nikon are also responding to the groundswell of bad feeling towards them from within Nikon heartland, but I doubt it.

Thank Pentax for a D300 replacement!

Thank Canon for the replacement if it does indeed happen.

LarH's gear list:LarH's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
vwsjr
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
Re: A piece of the puzzle?
In reply to Kris in CT, 5 months ago

That would be perfect, not only could I justify spending a couple thousand on my D300 update, but I could also justify having to replace all my non-Nikon lenses.  No lens should ever last more than a year or two anyway, and I really do need at least 20 more lenses if I'm going to be able to get any good pictures.

Seriously, it seems like it's been so long since I spent 'significant' money on any photo equipment, just because I haven't seen anything along the lines of what I feel I need in lenses or bodies.  Unless this camera is complete garbage, I'm sure it will be my next upgrade.

vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
MMuddler
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,408
Like?
Re: I'm leaning towards ....
In reply to vwsjr, 5 months ago

... further off-the-mark output from Nikon. Too many years of disappointment to expect a turn-around today--    Hope to be pleasantly surprised and chagrined.
Marabou Muddler
http://MMuddler.smugmug.com/Sports

Geomaticsman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?
Re: A double hit Renato...
In reply to PatrickP, 5 months ago

PatrickP wrote:

Can't help but wonder if the D600 ("dust and oil") and D800 ("left AF") QA issues left a lot of loyal Nikon users dis-interested in new Nikon offerings.

It could also be that lots of folks waiting for the true D300 and D700 replacements gave up waiting, either by switching to a different brand or gave up their gear lust altogether.

Well, Nikon's handling of the D800 focus and D600 shutter disasters never really cheezed me off, but if Canon can close the gap with Nikon on sensor performance with the 7DII (they're already there with the 1Dx), I'm planning on switching for Canon's superior supertele lineup -- the ergonomics alone would be worth the switch to me (i.e. being able to hand hold the 600 IS II and the 400 IS II and not having to worry about turning IS off at higher shutter speeds). Nikon's decision to abandon Capture NX2 makes the decision even easier.

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.pbase.com/garyirwin

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
greenmanphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 599Gear list
Like?
In reply to EcoPix, 5 months ago

Ecopix,

I get that customers of some pros want video, but I DON'T get how well a single camera can do both, particularly one designed to be, first and foremost, a stills camera. And let's face it, any camera designed in the form of an SLR like we're talking about here is designed for stills primarily. I have a Sony video camera provided by my employer with the ability to take still images, as well. However, those still images are rather low quality, and they certainly would not be useful for demanding customers. Granted, something like you are talking about would probably have better quality for the still images, but I still think you should use the appropriate tool for the job.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +5 more
Robert A F
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: April fools?

The New Nikon Numbering System..........

FX--- D4xx---D6xx---D8xx  begins with even numbers.

DX--- D3xxx---D5xxx---D7xxx---D9xxx  begins with odd numbers.

Is there a need for four DX models?

Robert A F's gear list:Robert A F's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon Df
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?
Re: April fools?
In reply to Robert A F, 5 months ago

Robert A F wrote:

The New Nikon Numbering System..........

FX--- D4xx---D6xx---D8xx begins with even numbers.

DX--- D3xxx---D5xxx---D7xxx---D9xxx begins with odd numbers.

Is there a need for four DX models?

There's a need for at least four DX models. In the consumer space, you will sell more and make more money if you hit a number of different price/performance/feature levels and if you're able to successfully help consumers walk upscale in your product line over time without having to throw all your lenses away. That's much harder to do if your price levels are far apart and if there are fewer models. Some would even argue that Nikon needs a D1xxx also to be able to pull more people into the brand on the low-end.  Furthermore, as a market matures and the pace of change in the underlying technology slows, a manufacturer will typically expand the product line to aim more appropriately at specific niches/segments in the market to continue to drive interest/demand. That should be the phase that dSLRs are in.

-- hide signature --
alcaher
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

Kris in CT wrote:

Not sure how many in here are paying attention to the release date of the Tamron 150-600 for Nikon, but I've seen some posts about Tamron waiting for "the specs" of some new camera(s) that Nikon is releasing to make sure there lens will function properly... Perhaps the D9300 has a new AF protocol of some kind?

I shoot wildlife so my dream combo always has been a 24mp sensor (plenty of resolution) and a great lens with the perfect feature (150-600mm).  I was about to order the d7100 but since this new rumor... i´ll wait.

Now the new tamron is having problems with older models like 7d, 50d and 1d4 or 3. The delay of the release date for nikon mount has to do with the problems some canons users are having, i think.

And my guess is that the d400 or d9xxx will be announce on August/September.... its wear to see nikon realising new model on april/may/june.

alcaher's gear list:alcaher's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
alcaher
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to alcaher, 5 months ago

alcaher wrote:

.... its wear to see nikon realising new model on april/may/june.

i mean weird 

alcaher's gear list:alcaher's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?
In reply to alcaher, 5 months ago

alcaher wrote:

alcaher wrote:

.... its wear to see nikon realising new model on april/may/june.

i mean weird

Maybe but if one of the target audiences are wild life photographers it would seem they would like to get it into their hands during the season it would be used most. That's assuming that Nikon even gives a rat's a$$ about them.  It's still all conjecture until something more solid is revealed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads