D9300 - For real or just another tease?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
adhall
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: D9300 - For real or just another tease? Oh heck, I'll play ;-)
In reply to ImageAmateur, 8 months ago

I think it actually depends on what Canon end up doing with the 7Dmkii. I suspect it may be a FPS race between the two models.

adhall's gear list:adhall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,404Gear list
Like?
Bear in mind the D300s as well...
In reply to adhall, 8 months ago

I would expect at least 7 fps without grip.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,915
Like?
True. However...
In reply to Michael, 8 months ago

if they would introduce the latest version of the 16 mp exmor sensor with another step up in DR and high iso performance, an Expeed 4 with a serious boost in fps and a real af-on button (with a toggle in the menu to go back to the implementation of focus priority of the D300(s)), and a three focal point times three distance adjustable AF matrix per lens, I will buy it.

lock

StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?
Re: I'm waiting
In reply to alcaher, 8 months ago

alcaher wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

alcaher wrote:

its good to know there is a new rumor and hope about d300s replacement... d9xxx its a logic # and name intead of d400.

It would be interesting to know if nikon its going to use the same Sensor its used on most recent DX models like d5300 or if they are going to come up with a new better sensor.

.... and maybe we have wait until late August/September for an announcement.

I suspect a 24mp sensor maybe tweaked a little more for low light and speed for nature photogs and sports. But that is just conjecture on my part for now.

well thats my guess too... some nikon guys like thom hogan think Dx 24mp sensor is already reaching its limits in term of technology and high iso/dr capabilities. If there is a room for sensor improvement it would be on small quantities.

They are probably right. One can only hope for at least some small improvements.

lost_in_utah
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
Re: D9300 - For real or just another tease?
In reply to yray, 8 months ago

yray wrote:

Michael wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

Could this be the D9300 ( on Rt side )

http://www.photographybay.com/2013/01/02/nikon-d7200-d9000-and-d4x-rumors

With probability rating of 35% you can't go wrong.

35% for 2013.

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,122Gear list
Like?
I waited longer for the 80-400 update....
In reply to StillLearning, 8 months ago

So I can wait a bit more with some hope this time.

Lets hope DX primes follow as well at some point.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +7 more
greenmanphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you be OK with XQD slot instead of CF, Jim?
In reply to Adrian Van, 8 months ago

Adrian,

While it will probably be there anyway, I don't really WANT video, 4K or otherwise, in the camera. I doubt I'm alone in that. And yes, I realize that there are MANY others that probably DO want it, and I'm no one when it comes to who decides what features go into a camera. But the craze for video in cameras designed to be still cameras doesn't really make much sense to me.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +5 more
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,846
Like?
Re: My guess...
In reply to JimPearce, 8 months ago

That would be good news!

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Snapshotx7
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: Bear in mind the D300s as well...
In reply to JimPearce, 8 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

I would expect at least 7 fps without grip.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Well, the real question is how big is the buffer going to be.

Snapshotx7's gear list:Snapshotx7's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
vwsjr
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 8 months ago

No doubt, I'd love to see half of those specs in the new camera, let alone all of them, but we are talking about Nikon here.  If this new camera had those specs, it would be thousands of dollars.  I just haven't seen Nikon release a product with this number of improvements in recent history.  Everything just seems to be rather modest incremental upgrades, especially in the DX line.  I at least hope you are right in that there are some things in this model that really make us take notice, but I'm just expecting a bit of what what everyone has asked for in a D300 upgrade, and maybe some things from the lower-end but newer models.

I'd say required improvements over D7100 would be.

Better body - whether that's bigger, better weather sealing, stronger (not plastic), is open to debate, but something that is an improvement over the D7100 and closer to the D300.

More Megapixels - again, debatable but I don't think people care all that much.  If upgrading from a D300, anything from 16MP would 36MP would be fine, each has it's merits.  I'd rather have fewer MP and less noise.

Faster frame rate - significantly better than D7100 in 14 bit raw, but again anything is going to be a huge upgrade from the D300.

Less noise - It will obviously have less noise than the D300, and hopefully there's some improvement over the D7100.

None of those would be considered even remotely ground-breaking, but in my opinion, if the camera did nothing but offer those improvements, it would probably be well received.  Throw in an option or two that we already see in the lower or higher end models and people will go nuts.  Hopefully there's more to this new model, but my expectations are low (and yet I'll still buy it to replace my D300 just for the reasons above).

vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831
Like?
Re: appeasement from Nikon? NEW AF for FF930 and APSC-9300 ???
In reply to HSway, 8 months ago

HSway wrote:

So at last?

Sony has come with a new AF system starting with the a6000, gaining more and more influence in the aps-c format, and must be said that deservedly so.

Very fast continuous shooting, used by myself, really is no problem for these cameras. And the a77 ll is coming. super telephoto lenses won't be Nikon/Canon's domain forever as well.

what you say.. though I will personally put it down to disasters that hit Japan.

It’s an important segment. And this looks like a serious piece of information.

-- hide signature --

I wonder if the two new budget speed cameras from Nikon (hopefully    ), albeit unconfirmed, will have the new Sony sensor for fast AF and continuous shooting then??

Should be interesting.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
In reply to seahawk, 8 months ago

seahawk wrote:

But if you look at the specs - a D7200 would need to be an up-grade from the D7100 and superior to the D5300 while being below the D9300. Unless there is a new AF module for the D9300 and it is aiming for a much higher performance than I am expecting, this will be not easy.

51p AF, D800 metering, 6FPS (8 with grip) - leaves not much room for a D7200 imho.

I don't think you're opening up your thoughts enough to the kind of advances that could be put into a D9300.  Here's an itemized list things a D9300 could have over the D7100 (or even over a D7200):

• 8-10fps
  • Much, much larger buffer (ability to hold at least 25 14-bit RAW files)
  • New DX AF module
  • More AF CPU power - gives you better AF in low light or with many AF points in operation
  • Matrix metering III with the 91,000 pixel metering sensor (like the D4s has)
  • Shorter mirror blackout time (gives you better AF when shooting at max fps and better visual tracking at max fps)
  • Further improvement in high ISO performance
  • AF-ON button in the familiar location
  • Support for even faster card write speeds
  • 10-pin accessory compatibility (more interoperable with other pro accessories)
  • Larger viewfinder
  • Viewfinder shutter
  • More weather-proof body
  • More durable body
  • Enhanced video including on-sensor PDAF live focusing
  • Improved battery life
  • Built-in WiFi

If they just hit 8-10fps, large buffer and meaningfully improved AF and metering - that would probably be enough in my opinion to make this into the DX speed camera that the D7xxx series isn't hitting the mark.

And, here's some discussion of some of these things in light of the advances made in the D800, D4 and D4s.

• Improved high ISO. Nikon claims to have improved the D4s high ISO support over the D4 (lower noise and better color rendition at very high ISO). If Nikon can eek more out of the fairly well optimized D4 sensor, then they certainly could eek more out of the sensor in the D7100 (or whatever APS-C sensor comes next). So, though high ISO improvements are no longer coming in big chunks, there may still be more room to go, even at the APS-C sensor size.
  • Large buffer. The EXPEED 4 has a much, much larger built-in buffer. While the D4 may be using some off-chip supplemental buffer memory, the EXPEED 4 has plenty of built-in buffer memory for a good sized RAW buffer on a D9300. Just giving the D9300 more fps and buffer alone would differentiate it from the D7xxx series line.
  • Fast fps. The data sheet for the Fujitsu core in the EXPEED 4 can do 12fps at 24M. So, whether a D9300 was 16MP or 24MP, it seems like the EXPEED 4 could certainly keep up with 8fps or even 9 or 10 if that's what Nikon wanted to endow a D9300 with.
  • s-RAW. With the D4s, Nikon dipped their toe in the water with a reduced size RAW. We could see faster shooting modes with an s-RAW reduced image recording.
  • Matrix metering III. The D7100 has Matrix Metering II with a 2016 pixel RGB sensor. The D4s has the next generation Matrix Metering III with a 91,000 pixel RGB sensor. You can certainly discern much finer level detail and patterns with the higher pixel metering sensor. This should lead to better detection of smaller highlight areas and better pattern recognition and just generally richer data that goes into the exposure processing and perhaps into AF tracking too since the advanced AF tracking modes also use subject color information from the matrix metering sensor.
  • Improved battery life. My understanding is that the EXPEED 4 consumes a ton less power than the EXPEED 3, particuarly when going fast. This is likely one of the contributors to the improved battery life in the D4s.
  • Many video improvements. The EXPEED 4 enables a number of video improvements. Since I'm not much of a video person, I won't comment on them here, but there's a significant list of new video features.
  • Improved Auto-Focus Tracking. Nikon claims new AF algorithms along with enhanced processing speed from the EXPEED 4. The benefits they claim are: The proven Multi-CAM 3500 FX AF sensor module’s thoroughly recalibrated AF algorithms quickly zero in on its intended target— no matter how near, far, or abruptly a subject appears in the frame.
  • Auto-Focus Group Mode. Uses 5 AF points to provide increased stability while tracking subjects and enhanced accuracy by reducing instances of background focus. In situations where the background is bright with strong contrasting colors, photographers can now feel more confident, knowing that small, distant and fast-moving objects can be rendered sharper, faster and more frequently.
  • Improved Auto-Focus Lock-On. Nikon’s AF Lock-on technology is also upgraded, shortening time in reverting from focus interruptions, such as a referee running into the frame.
  • Improved AF at max fps. Nikon claims the D4s has also improved tracking while shooting at max fps. The D4S has a newly designed mirror-moving mechanism, which uniformly and effectively absorbs mirror slap to minimize viewfinder blackout time. This would give the camera more time to collect AF data between frames and Nikon claims it makes it easier to track your subject through the viewfinder since the viewfinder image is stable for longer between frames. In addition, we know that the focus processing speed has been improved so that could also allow more focus data to be processed when the mirror is down.
  • AF during video. In some other Nikon cameras (such as Nikon One), Nikon has put PDAF on sensor which enables PDAF focusing during video. The D9300 could be the first DX camera to have a new sensor capable of that.
  • New DX AF module. The D7100 has basically the same AF that was shipped in the D300 6 years ago. There's certainly room for a significantly more advanced AF module in the D9300 and with EXPEED 4, the processing power behind that AF module could be significantly higher too.
-- hide signature --
Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, 8 months ago

The Pentax K3 is probably the baseline for the D9300. The AF improvements would make it a solid DX pro camera. However, as it has the F-mount, it will cost $1700-1800 when introduced.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
jfriend00
Like?
In reply to Maji, 8 months ago

Maji wrote:

The Pentax K3 is probably the baseline for the D9300. The AF improvements would make it a solid DX pro camera. However, as it has the F-mount, it will cost $1700-1800 when introduced.

Certainly, one would think that if Nikon cares at all about competing with Pentax (something I'm not entirely sure they do since Nikon seems much more focused on Canon than Pentax), then they would want to beat the K-3 with any higher end DX camera. I'd agree with you there.

If Nikon puts the right "speed camera" features in a D9300 (or whatever it's called), I think the audience that wants those features would pay the $1700-$1800 that you are proposing (perhaps even more), largely because there really are no alternatives that are F-mount and sport those features other than the $6500 D4s.

-- hide signature --
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,882
Like?
Re: unless it is mirrorless as well..
In reply to lock, 8 months ago

lock wrote:

..they better make these on sensor pdaf points active during normal ovf use.

Doubt it would be mirrorless. They already have the 3rd version of their CX format in the overpriced Nikon 1 V3.

The sensor may be what's being used in the a6000 and/or Nikon D5300.

-- hide signature --
jfriend00
Like?
Re: unless it is mirrorless as well..
In reply to DezM, 8 months ago

DezM wrote:

lock wrote:

..they better make these on sensor pdaf points active during normal ovf use.

Doubt it would be mirrorless. They already have the 3rd version of their CX format in the overpriced Nikon 1 V3.

The sensor may be what's being used in the a6000 and/or Nikon D5300.

Could use on-sensor PDAF for video AF though.

-- hide signature --

John

--
John
Gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?
In reply to Retzius, 8 months ago

Retzius wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Retzius wrote:

Good news. However, until I see a commitment from Nikon to a true DX lens line I still won't bite.

If the only DX lenses they are gonna make are 18-XXX zooms then what is the point...

You will be waiting a long time. A DX 24mm 1.4 would cost very close to FX 24mm 1.4. Same with all the other focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Ridiculous. That seemed to be the going line until Sigma dropped the amazing 18-35 1.8 for $799 and Nikon was left sitting there looking stupid.

If Sigma can make the stellar 18-35 1.8 for $799 surely Nikon can make a single focal length DX prime for less money.

You forget the most important point, it is a Sigma.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?
In reply to n057, 8 months ago

n057 wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Retzius wrote:

Good news. However, until I see a commitment from Nikon to a true DX lens line I still won't bite.

If the only DX lenses they are gonna make are 18-XXX zooms then what is the point...

You will be waiting a long time. A DX 24mm 1.4 would cost very close to FX 24mm 1.4. Same with all the other focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

However, if they want to deliver same FOV as one gets on FX at 24mm, that would mean 16mm 1.4 for DX. A Whole nother matter. Even a DX 16/1.8 would be as exciting as the DX 35/1.8.

The price difference between 1.8 and 1.4 is huge. 24mm is 24 mm does not mater FX or DX. A 16mm 1.4 FX and a 16mm 1.4 DX will be very close in price.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
In reply to azguy, 8 months ago

azguy wrote:

arrr wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

Sounds great. Where's the Official Announcement? Nikon had no trouble announcing the development of the D4s. A real Nikon Teaser for the D9300 would be nice. I'm not saying we need to know everything now. Just give us a confirmation of the name D9300 and a date.

We are all hopeful. If it is a D300 replacement, I'll buy. If it is something lessor, I'll have to buy a second D7100. The D7100 is not a perfect camera, but it gives higher IQ and higher ISO capabilities, both of which I, and a LOT of others, need.

I went the other way and purchased a D610. I still have both my D7000s and the D3200 for now. I was actually getting ready to list the most of my DX stuff on ebay... I think I'll wait another month to see what if anything materializes from the vapor.

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
In reply to StillLearning, 8 months ago

StillLearning wrote:

azguy wrote:

arrr wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

Sounds great. Where's the Official Announcement? Nikon had no trouble announcing the development of the D4s. A real Nikon Teaser for the D9300 would be nice. I'm not saying we need to know everything now. Just give us a confirmation of the name D9300 and a date.

We are all hopeful. If it is a D300 replacement, I'll buy. If it is something lessor, I'll have to buy a second D7100. The D7100 is not a perfect camera, but it gives higher IQ and higher ISO capabilities, both of which I, and a LOT of others, need.

I just bought my 2nd D7100 so it is probably for real. I can't buy one until next year at the soonest but it will give them time to iron out the wrinkles.

I spent all-day yesterday photographing my DX bodies and lenses. Yes, I feel like Nikon is sticking it to me a little but it's ok if the deliver the body I've been wishing for. LOL it's only money right?

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads