D9300 - For real or just another tease?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,776
Like?
unless it is mirrorless as well..
In reply to DezM, 3 months ago

..they better make these on sensor pdaf points active during normal ovf use.

Lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,831Gear list
Like?
Re: D9300 - For real or just another tease?
In reply to Retzius, 3 months ago

Retzius wrote:

Good news. However, until I see a commitment from Nikon to a true DX lens line I still won't bite.

If the only DX lenses they are gonna make are 18-XXX zooms then what is the point...

You will be waiting a long time. A DX 24mm 1.4 would cost very close to FX 24mm 1.4. Same with all the other focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 1,772
Like?
In reply to Tony Beach, 3 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

seahawk wrote:

But if you look at the specs - a D7200 would need to be an up-grade from the D7100 and superior to the D5300 while being below the D9300. Unless there is a new AF module for the D9300 and it is aiming for a much higher performance than I am expecting, this will be not easy.

51p AF, D800 metering, 6FPS (8 with grip) - leaves not much room for a D7200 imho.

Why assume that the D7200 is going to be updated any time soon? The timeline has been:

• D80 announced in September, 2006.
  • D90 announced in August, 2008.
  • D7000 announced in September, 2010.
  • D7100 announced in August, 2013.

A D7200 isn't due until September 2015, so we are talking about something more than the D7100 for now.

Also, more fps, a larger buffer, and more external controls are enough to distinguish a D300/D300s replacement from a D7100 replacement. There has also been an improvement in AF going from the D4 to the D4s, so that's an area where a D9300 could also distinguish itself from a D7200.

D7100 had to been announced in 2012.  I bought my first one in May of 2013.  That would put D7200 later this year following the same scheduling.  This will be interesting where the D9300 will fit in the schema.  This really was kept under wraps.  Something has forced this leak.  The up coming Canon 70D Mk II?  Response to the Pentax K-3 or was this the planned all along?

azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,100
Like?
Re: I'm waiting
In reply to arrr, 3 months ago

arrr wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

Sounds great. Where's the Official Announcement? Nikon had no trouble announcing the development of the D4s. A real Nikon Teaser for the D9300 would be nice. I'm not saying we need to know everything now. Just give us a confirmation of the name D9300 and a date.

We are all hopeful.  If it is a D300 replacement, I'll buy.  If it is something lessor, I'll have to buy a second D7100.  The D7100 is not a perfect camera, but it gives higher IQ and higher ISO capabilities, both of which I, and a LOT of others, need.

Gary Prestash
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Re: April fools?
In reply to DezM, 3 months ago

Artie Morris posted what turned out to be an April Fool's Day joke on his website, talking about a camo version of a DSLR that had built in game calls, ISO numbers you needed a calculator to understand - totally unreal specs - and even that Rick "Salmon" was involved, etc (not Rick Samon).  It was all a joke and my Canon friends appear to have fallen for it even though Artie does this every year.  A check of CanonRumors had nothing like this on their website so, it was really pretty obvious except to the naive who wanted to believe it.  Since CanonRumors did not carry this ficticious camera story, I have to believe that SOMETHING is true about another Nikion DX body coming out, whether it is a D9300 or a D400 or something else.  The trouble is, we have wanted a replacement for the D300/s so long, that we are all panting at the possibilities of what this body might have.  Concur with those who want highly water resistant body (be it metal - my preference - or polycarbonate); 18 - 24MP with Expeed4 to move it; newer AF module; clean higher ISO's; dedicated rear focus button; and at least 7 - 8 fps.  Would like it to have the 10 pin connector so we don't need to buy new things to connect to this camera, and would prefer a control setup more like the D100/200/300 had versus more menus to have to change common parameters.  Should come in at <$2K or so but I would pop for the right body for a few hundred more IF it really is the camera we are all hoping for.

But, blue is not my color so I am not holding my breath, but will continue to use my trusty D300 until a worthy successor appears.

Gary P

JWReagan
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: A double hit Renato...
In reply to jfriend00, 3 months ago

jfriend00 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

The D800s and D9300 have the potential to plug the performance gap in their DSLR lineup. It's amazing to me how little excitement there is here surrounding these rumours. Especially since NR seems to be more an underground marketing asset than a real rumour site.

It is a positive sign that there's a rumor of anything above a D7100. But, there's so little specific information about features or timing that it's hard to get very worked up yet. And, quite frankly, it's 2-3 years overdue so I'm more inclined to believe it when there's more concrete-sounding info.

You mentioned the D800s and my fear is that Nikon will do that at 6fps (and I think I saw a rumor to that effect), still avoiding that D700 sweet spot.

-- hide signature --

Isn't the D700 5fps unless you add the grip?

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
StillLearning
Like?
In reply to azguy, 3 months ago

azguy wrote:

arrr wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

Sounds great. Where's the Official Announcement? Nikon had no trouble announcing the development of the D4s. A real Nikon Teaser for the D9300 would be nice. I'm not saying we need to know everything now. Just give us a confirmation of the name D9300 and a date.

We are all hopeful. If it is a D300 replacement, I'll buy. If it is something lessor, I'll have to buy a second D7100. The D7100 is not a perfect camera, but it gives higher IQ and higher ISO capabilities, both of which I, and a LOT of others, need.

I just bought my 2nd D7100 so it is probably for real.  I can't buy one until next year at the soonest but it will give them time to iron out the wrinkles. 

Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,467Gear list
Like?
Re: April fools?
In reply to vwsjr, 3 months ago

Kris, aren't you also waiting on the Tamron 150-600?  I'm waiting on that too and and have been holding off on upgrading my D300s just for something a bit closer in specs, as I'd expect a D9300 to be.  I was actually figuring on a D7200 upgrade late this year, but this should be everything I was looking for.

The question is, which of our new toys will we see first, and when? I don't think I'd want to bet on either any time soon, although I'm still hoping maybe I'll see the Tamron this year!

I am indeed waiting on the Tamron. Hope the specs cone out soon on the D9300.. not sure if I can swing both this year.. I think I would rather have a D300 replacement that is reliable, unlike the D7100, and keep shooting with my 120-300.. I'm not sure if the Tamron would beat out the Sigma at 600 F8...
--
My sober voyage into bird photography
http://www.facebook.com/KristoferRowePhotography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you be OK with XQD slot instead of CF, Jim?
In reply to Kris in CT, 3 months ago

Kris in CT wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

I would really like to see a CF slot

Just curious.

My bet would be dual UHS-II slots. 250 mb/s could clear out the buffer pretty quick and guessing 4K video might be in this camera?
--
My sober voyage into bird photography
http://www.facebook.com/KristoferRowePhotography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn

Put 4K into this camera, similar to GH4, and this camera will be a success to videographers.

Add XLR 2 channel sound accessories add on device, like GH4 and also Sony A99 have, would be a hit for video guys who prefer DX over FX cameras.

Keep it CF card slot and second slot (SD or QXD) for ultimate speed in high res. capture.
Sandisk have new high speed SD for 4K or Full HD.

I would think with a faster processor, even Full HD 1920x1080 alone at 60P progressive, so slow motion can be used very effectively, would also be successful with videographers, at least the ones who may want a lighter than FF camera. GH4 is this camera. A D9300 could be maybe, with PDAF on sensor. A smaller lighter than FF camera for sports coverage etc. At acceptable noise levels in low light.

Add a couple of high end DX lens updates as they come, for a complete system.

Wishlist, maybe, but we will see what happens.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Olympus PEN E-PL1
alcaher
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
In reply to azguy, 3 months ago

its good to know   there is  a new rumor and hope about d300s replacement... d9xxx its a logic # and name intead of d400.

It would be interesting to know if nikon its going to use the same Sensor its used on most recent DX models like d5300 or if they are going to come up with a new better sensor.

.... and maybe we  have  wait  until  late August/September for an announcement.

alcaher's gear list:alcaher's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Michael
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?
In reply to StillLearning, 3 months ago

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

Could this be the D9300 ( on Rt side )

http://www.photographybay.com/2013/01/02/nikon-d7200-d9000-and-d4x-rumors

yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 863
Like?
In reply to Michael, 3 months ago

Michael wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

With probability rating of 35% you can't go wrong.

StillLearning
Like?
In reply to alcaher, 3 months ago

alcaher wrote:

its good to know there is a new rumor and hope about d300s replacement... d9xxx its a logic # and name intead of d400.

It would be interesting to know if nikon its going to use the same Sensor its used on most recent DX models like d5300 or if they are going to come up with a new better sensor.

.... and maybe we have wait until late August/September for an announcement.

I suspect a 24mp sensor maybe tweaked a little more for low light and speed for nature photogs and sports. But that is just conjecture on my part for now.

Michael
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?
In reply to yray, 3 months ago

yray wrote:

Michael wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Fresh for Nikon Rumors.

D9300?

With probability rating of 35% you can't go wrong.

Keep in mind this was dated Jan 2 , 2013

Gary Prestash
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, 3 months ago

Inclined to agree with you - different level of  performance rather than upgrade of an existing model.  Frankly, though, I cannot understand how anyone selling cameras can handle Nikon's products - three 3000 series bodies still out there; three 5000 series bodies out there; and two 7000 series bodies still out there.  Some may be out of Nikon's official catalog but these puppies are in camera stores around the world.  Too damn many choices with too little differentiation between them and only small price differences between models in the same series, so if a dealer has a slightly older version and the newer, the consumer pops for the newer one and the old one sits on the dealer's shelf, in inventory.  I think Nikon saw more sales potential at the low price end and tried to carpet bomb the market with small steps between the models and frankly forgot about the serious amateur/semi pro guys who really USE a D300 and wanted an upgrade which would incorporate new sensor technology, software improvements, etc.  Hopefully though, the rumored 9300 will be in a class of it's own, and not just a D7100 say, with some new feature.  Nikon has to understand Build Quality; AF accuracy and speed; FPS for action photography; buffer, etc, are all things serious shooters need and want in their camera, and they deliver, or else we will be disappointed with what "new" body they deliver next.

-- hide signature --

Gary P

n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,896Gear list
Like?
In reply to pavi1, 3 months ago

pavi1 wrote:

Retzius wrote:

Good news. However, until I see a commitment from Nikon to a true DX lens line I still won't bite.

If the only DX lenses they are gonna make are 18-XXX zooms then what is the point...

You will be waiting a long time. A DX 24mm 1.4 would cost very close to FX 24mm 1.4. Same with all the other focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

However, if they want to deliver same FOV as one gets on FX at 24mm, that would mean 16mm 1.4 for DX. A Whole nother matter. Even a DX 16/1.8 would be as exciting as the DX 35/1.8.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
alcaher
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?

StillLearning wrote:

alcaher wrote:

its good to know there is a new rumor and hope about d300s replacement... d9xxx its a logic # and name intead of d400.

.... and maybe we have wait until late August/September for an announcement.

I suspect a 24mp sensor maybe tweaked a little more for low light and speed for nature photogs and sports. But that is just conjecture on my part for now.

well thats my guess too... some nikon guys like  thom hogan think Dx 24mp sensor is already reaching  its limits in term of technology and high iso/dr capabilities. If there is a room for sensor improvement it would be on small quantities.

alcaher's gear list:alcaher's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,735
Like?

StillLearning wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

seahawk wrote:

But if you look at the specs - a D7200 would need to be an up-grade from the D7100 and superior to the D5300 while being below the D9300. Unless there is a new AF module for the D9300 and it is aiming for a much higher performance than I am expecting, this will be not easy.

51p AF, D800 metering, 6FPS (8 with grip) - leaves not much room for a D7200 imho.

Why assume that the D7200 is going to be updated any time soon? The timeline has been:

A D7200 isn't due until September 2015, so we are talking about something more than the D7100 for now.

Also, more fps, a larger buffer, and more external controls are enough to distinguish a D300/D300s replacement from a D7100 replacement. There has also been an improvement in AF going from the D4 to the D4s, so that's an area where a D9300 could also distinguish itself from a D7200.

D7100 had to been announced in 2012.

No, but...

I bought my first one in May of 2013.

My mistake, it was announced in February, 2013.

That would put D7200 later this year following the same scheduling.

D80 to D90 was almost two years; D90 to D7000 was just over two years; D7000 to D7100 was 18 months.  There's nothing set in stone about the update schedule for any camera line -- it was nearly three years between the D100 and the D200, and during that interim it looked as though the D70 had eclipsed the D100 line (sound familiar?), then the D300 replaced the D200 in under two years.

This will be interesting where the D9300 will fit in the schema.

If there is a D9300, and if Nikon's latest numbers mean anything, then obviously it will fit above the D7100 and below the D610 (at least as far as price is concerned, but if rumors are to be believed and come to fruition then the different formats dictate that you pay more for the larger sensor and give up some of the features).

This really was kept under wraps. Something has forced this leak.

It's still just a rumor.  The "source" is Nikon Rumors, so their name says it all.

The up coming Canon 70D Mk II? Response to the Pentax K-3 or was this the planned all along?

I'll wait until I see these Canon and Nikon cameras before I speculate about why it's taken as long as it has for Canon and/or Nikon to make a move in this sector, assuming they actually do make that move.

Retzius
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to pavi1, 3 months ago

pavi1 wrote:

Retzius wrote:

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Ridiculous. That seemed to be the going line until Sigma dropped the amazing 18-35 1.8 for $799 and Nikon was left sitting there looking stupid.

If Sigma can make the stellar 18-35 1.8 for $799 surely Nikon can make a single focal length DX prime for less money.

If they can't they are going to have issues...

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
StillLearning
Like?
In reply to Tony Beach, 3 months ago

Tony Beach wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

seahawk wrote:

D7100 had to been announced in 2012.

No, but...

My mistake

I bought my first one in May of 2013.

My mistake, it was announced in February, 2013.

I normally don't buy one this close to announcement but I guess I was sucked in.  Actually it was worth it.

That would put D7200 later this year following the same scheduling.

D80 to D90 was almost two years; D90 to D7000 was just over two years; D7000 to D7100 was 18 months. There's nothing set in stone about the update schedule for any camera line -- it was nearly three years between the D100 and the D200, and during that interim it looked as though the D70 had eclipsed the D100 line (sound familiar?), then the D300 replaced the D200 in under two years.

My mistake in thinking it was late 2012 announcement.  That would put it early 2015 but as noted they (Nikon) are calling the shots.

This will be interesting where the D9300 will fit in the schema.

If there is a D9300, and if Nikon's latest numbers mean anything, then obviously it will fit above the D7100 and below the D610 (at least as far as price is concerned, but if rumors are to be believed and come to fruition then the different formats dictate that you pay more for the larger sensor and give up some of the features).

This really was kept under wraps. Something has forced this leak.

It's still just a rumor. The "source" is Nikon Rumors, so their name says it all.

Correct it is only a rumor but I take heart that when the last Nikon D400 rumor appeared on NR it was some known person that had it on their blog.  NR did say they didn't have any reliable info at the time.  This time he did acknowledge he had his first reliable source.  Hope that is true but I'm not in the position to get one this year because my tax return went on another D7100.

The up coming Canon 70D Mk II? Response to the Pentax K-3 or was this the planned all along?

I'll wait until I see these Canon and Nikon cameras before I speculate about why it's taken as long as it has for Canon and/or Nikon to make a move in this sector, assuming they actually do make that move.

We will wait to see if a May announcement of the Canan 70D2 is forth coming.  We know both companies have their spies in each others camp so neither one will probably get much of a jump.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads