Some say, Pentax DX bodies are SO capable, they blow Nikon FX away...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Skytalker
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: That's why so many of them finally move to Nikon :)
In reply to Lance B, 6 months ago

Thank you, you too.

-- hide signature --

Skytalker's gear list:Skytalker's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skytalker, 6 months ago

Skytalker wrote:

Thank you, you too.

Thank you very much!

-- hide signature --

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
PK24X36NOW
Contributing MemberPosts: 906Gear list
Like?
Re: Some say, Pentax DX bodies are SO capable, they blow Nikon FX away...
In reply to SkvLTD, 6 months ago

Claim was made on another forum I'm on, so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

There's a word for thiis.

It's called "rationalization."

PK24X36NOW's gear list:PK24X36NOW's gear list
Nikon D810
arachnophilia
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,236Gear list
Like?
pentax users

i've met canon fanboys and nikon fanboys, but it seems that nobody has fanboys like pentax has fanboys.

i've spent hours debating with pentax users who thought that their K5 was better than anything nikon had to offer in terms of image quality, and read the world into a one-point increase on DxO... even though it has the very same sensor as the D7000.

arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,059Gear list
Like?
Oh, don't get me started ... :-)
In reply to arachnophilia, 6 months ago

arachnophilia wrote:

i've met canon fanboys and nikon fanboys, but it seems that nobody has fanboys like pentax has fanboys.

Have you tried arguing with the m43 or Nex crowds?

We have brand fanboys of the Canon, Fujifilm, Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony flavours. There might even be a few Samsung ones. We also have format fanboys: You know the ones who can get to 150 posts in three hours flat just arguing over depth-of-field differences. The Four Thirds fanboys are always a force to be reckoned with (both the original tribe and the newer m43 branch). There are even a small but fairly arrogant group of medium format snobs who at times reach fanboy status. And we of course have the mirrorless fanboys, if only the sales of mirrorless ever had reached anywhere near the volume of their hate of mirrors ... Then the DSLR truly would be dead. Interestingly Leica fans seem not to consider themselves part of the mirrorless crowd, probably to vulgar, rabble rousing and most of all cheap for their more refined tastes. And we do have the EVF fanboy subdivision who seem to hate anything optical (wonder how they feel about lenses?). There is even a small hardcore ragged band of surviving translucent mirror fanboys, which for some reason the congregate mainly in the Sony Alpha forum.

Then there are prime lens fanboys who would not be caught dead carrying a zoom. There is a larger group with a more liberal view who prefer primes, but who can accept zooms as long are they have a fixed aperture and the zoom range is not to flamboyant. But everybody hate kit zooms. Looking at lenses you also have the Zeiss fan club and the Zuiko lovers, those who can only carry red ring 'L' lenses, and those who love any old lens with manual focus, crappy corners, no coating and which is at least 30 years old - new lenses just don't measure up to lenses made in some vaguely defined golden era.

We have a small but surprisingly loud group of CCD technology fanboys who insist no good sensor has been released in the past 5-8 years (depending on how hard core you are). A common trait among them is their uncanny (but easily disproved) ability to distinguish between images taken with CCD or CMOS sensors by looking at small low res jpegs at Facebook. And we have the Foevon diehards who constantly invent new mathematical formulas to calculate just how much more resolution you really get with Foevon sensors.

Not to mention any names, but have you ever visited a thread opened by some naive newbie asking the seemingly innocent question: "What is raw format good fro anyway?" Flame suits are recommended, and those threads are not for the faint of heart.

But most of all you have a tremendous amount of people who are inverted fanboys: Instead of constantly raving on how excellent this brand/camera typ/sensor size is, they intensely hate and despise something: Canon, moving mirrors, video in DSLR, Adobe, Canon, EVF:s, superzoom lenses, images of cats, DSLR cameras, Canon, camera phones, successful female photographers, raw files, fast frame rates, Apple, high iso settings ... and Canon. (Being the biggest camera brand will make you an irresistible target).

Myself I am completely neutral: I hate just about everything and everybody and I despise all images except the ones taken by me

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smells funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +7 more
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
PROOF POSITIVE ! Pentax DX bodies are SO capable, they blow Nikon FX away...

SkvLTD wrote:

Claim was made on another forum I'm on, so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

Click HERE for proof !  (Turn on speakers 1st)

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D300 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +30 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,998
Like?

When someone says that a particular body "has the edge over" or is "an improvement upon" another model, I'll listen.

When someone says that one model "blows away" the other, I just file it under "childish".

The truth is that there isn't a contemporary DX body that gives better image quality than a contemporary FX body. Some may come close, but that's as far as it goes.

mikeSF
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

the way you have worded this discussion sounds a little provocative on your part - can you post a link? I only say that because I visit the Pentax discussion groups and there seems to be a much larger contingent holding out for the day when Pentax will launch the mythical FF bodies again. Further, I cannot say ive ever read anything that said "K3...blows Nikon FX away...".

thanks

lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049Gear list
Like?
A comparison site says...
 lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +9 more
Grevture
Like?
LOL :-)
In reply to lickity split, 6 months ago

lickity split wrote:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D610-vs-Pentax-K-3

That site is a pure haven for those who love to compare numbers without having a clue what might lie behind the numbers. Here is a beauty:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D4s-vs-Pentax-K-3/score

As everyone can see, the K-3 clearly has better AF then the D4s. And it is more "popular" to boot. Oh my ...

But thanks for the link, this site quite literally had me laughing out loud.

-- hide signature --

It just smells funny

Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +7 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,883Gear list
Like?
Because...

Non-sequitur Thursday.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,743
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

Claim was made on another forum I'm on, so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body

Optical image stabilization provides the user and the camera's metering and AF sensors with a stabilized view with which to work. OIS is the only kind of stabilization that makes sense on a DSLR.

Pentax doesn't have it. It has IBIS, which stabilizes the image sensor and nothing else.

No DSLR that forces the user, the AF sensors and the metering sensor to use a jittery, unstabilized IBIS-only view can be called a 'technology-saturated wonder body'. 'Fatally flawed' comes to mind....

jackdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

Claim was made on another forum I'm on,

I was trying to find the post you are referring to. You say you are on that forum, but the only forums you are on that I can find are Nikon forums. That was a pretty foolish claim that was made on that other forum. How many foolish people made that claim? My thinking is that it is difficult to take anyone that would make such a claim seriously, but I see people are taking it serious.

Can you post a link? Thanks

so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, 6 months ago

Midwest wrote:

SkvLTD wrote:

Claim was made on another forum I'm on, so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body

Optical image stabilization provides the user and the camera's metering and AF sensors with a stabilized view with which to work. OIS is the only kind of stabilization that makes sense on a DSLR.

Pentax doesn't have it. It has IBIS, which stabilizes the image sensor and nothing else.

No DSLR that forces the user, the AF sensors and the metering sensor to use a jittery, unstabilized IBIS-only view can be called a 'technology-saturated wonder body'. 'Fatally flawed' comes to mind....

The AF sensors are not seeing a "jittery and unstabilised" image as the AF sensors are in the optical path to the VF, not the sensor. This is only of consequence when using live view, but whatever the case, it seems to work.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Gazeomon
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leo "Zoom", 6 months ago

Leo "Zoom" wrote:

Me one of them

-- hide signature --

And vice versa. I am one of them.

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +2 more
Grevture
Like?
A reasonable rule of thumb
In reply to John Motts, 6 months ago

John Motts wrote:

When someone says that a particular body "has the edge over" or is "an improvement upon" another model, I'll listen.

When someone says that one model "blows away" the other, I just file it under "childish".

Good rule of thumb

The truth is that there isn't a contemporary DX body that gives better image quality than a contemporary FX body. Some may come close, but that's as far as it goes.

As things are today the technology in aps-c and FF sensors tend to be fairly similar. Meaning it is very difficult for a smaller sensor to compensate for their smaller area. On the other hand, sensor technology also has evolved in a way which mean the differences in practice might be less and less significant for most of our photography.

-- hide signature --

It just smells funny

samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?

Yeah Pentax fanboys are pretty protective of the brand. But really it's only a handful of die-hard pentaxians that make those kinds of claims. You'll also notice those same guys are aps-c flagwavers/FF haters. There's plenty of those in all camps and I've found them to be the most rabid.

Pentax has a some things going for them-

The first that comes to mind is the 31mm, 43mm & 77mm FA ltd's. Those lenses are truly one of a kind, absolutely beautiful rendering little lenses. ( Lance B will attest to this).                                                       Unfortunately- still no digital FF body to mount them on (which is why I left, but still hopeful for a Pentax FF- for those 3 lenses).

The in-body stabilization is also awesome. Not as good as OIS, but being able to mount any K-mount lens(old or new) and have it instantly be stabilized is badass. Fact. If Nikon had it you'd sing it's praises. Especially with old manual lenses on the DF. That body should've had ibis...

Pentax bodies also have great ergonomics. The k7/k5 body is the best dslr body I've laid hands on. Compact, boxy and tough. (Not so much the K3).

With all that being said: no way is a Pentax aps-c "blowing away" a Nikon FX. Not happening. It might hang in a few areas (dynamic range, ws, egronomics) but it ain't blowing away the d600/d800/d4/df.                                                                           They might beat up on Nikon DX, but not FX.

(Now if Pentax actually does bring out a FF, along with new f1.4 lenses & fast ltd lenses, and step up their AF game... Well that's another story).

But really- who cares if one brand makes a camera that can best another in a certain areas? Or what someone says on a forum about your camera. Do your homework and get the best tool for you.

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,744Gear list
Like?
In reply to vbuhay, 6 months ago

Pentax is really niche market player that has had financial difficulties in the past years. Whether it will survive the coming shakeout is to be seen. As far as in camera VR is concerned, with the in camera VR, you can't see what is going on through the view finder while with in lens VR, it becomes immediately obvious. Many studies were done in the past and the conclusion was that in lens VR was superior because it can be tailored to the optical characteristics of the lens.

http://photographylife.com/lens-stabilization-vs-in-camera-stabilization

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +51 more
Benjamin Kanarek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lance B, 6 months ago

I have the Nikon D800 and the Pentax K3 and no, the K3 does not out render the Nikon D800...The Nikon D800 does in fact outclass many of the Medium Format backs I have used for several Ad Campaigns.

The K3 is a very capable camera with wonderful ergonomics. But the K3 does not out resolve the D800.

That's All Folks

Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

Some say they have the best camera + lenses... and I wonder where the images are?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads