Some say, Pentax DX bodies are SO capable, they blow Nikon FX away...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
SkvLTD
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Some say, Pentax DX bodies are SO capable, they blow Nikon FX away...
8 months ago

Claim was made on another forum I'm on, so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Araucaria
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Some say, Pentax DX bodies are SO capable, they blow Nikon FX away...
In reply to SkvLTD, 8 months ago

Pentax users are different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
April 1 was yesterday

SkvLTD wrote:

Claim was made on another forum I'm on, so I just want to get some opinions from you guys here. The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

Got to DXO Labs and check the filters for Pentax and Nikon:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings

Interesting the K-5 scores 82, same as entry level Nikon D3300. BTW, K-3 scores 80

You might want to go back to whatever forum you were inhabiting.

Happy trolling!

Stan

SkvLTD
Like?
Re: April 1 was yesterday
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 8 months ago

Funny enough that whole topic started before last night, and hell, you don't have to convince me on what's actually better. Just interested in getting opinions regarding that here.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

Funny enough that whole topic started before last night, and hell, you don't have to convince me on what's actually better. Just interested in getting opinions regarding that here.

Numbers sometimes speak louder than opinions. You know what grandma said:
"Opinions are like A-holes, everybody's got one"

But a really talented photographer can make almost any camera soar.

Cheers,

Stan

frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 8 months ago

every forum has posters who like to state that THEIR sensor/camera is as good or better than bigger sensors/more expensive/bigger body/whatever.  pentax is no exception.

-- hide signature --
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129Gear list
Like?
Oh, these claims ... :-)

SkvLTD wrote:

There are always lots of claims made right and left in all forums (yes, also here at times)

K-3 is a really nice camera for sure, and you got to give it to Pentax - they design cameras which are not only good but just plain fun to use. Good user interface, nice features, good image quality ... But exceptional compared to similar cameras from other brands ... Well, no. Just good.

The K-3, as good as it is, still ends up competing against camera like the D7100, not Nikons FX cameras. A FX camera will still a one stop DR and low light advantage, and a tad more DOF control to boot.

And while the AF system in the K-3 is the best I have ever seen in a Pentax, the D7100 still wins that one quite comfortably. On the other hand the K-3 does seem to have a more extensive weather sealing. In terms of image quality, they are pretty similar. Overall the K-3 does indeed give the D7100 a good run for its money, but it is no wonder machine. It remains a well built, well featured APS-C camera. No more, no less.

-- hide signature --

-----------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smells funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
vbuhay
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?

I do own and have used both K ands F systems. In my opinion as an overall experience Nikon DX is better for most of the criteria (Lens availability variety, IQ, usability) plus third party support than the Pentax DX. One area that Pentax might be better is size and weight, but I can live with Nikon's larger and or heavier units. Another advantage of Pentax Vibration Control In Body method - thus all the available lenses are VR capable making the lenses cost less (maybe?) and weight less.

As far as FX is concern, Pentax is a no show. The main reason for this I believe is the fact that Pentax has the In Body Vibration Control making their legacy (FX) lenses incompatible (maybe less compatible would be a better description) with FX format using In Body VC method.

Because of the fierce competition in this DSLR type, decisions of the users which systems to use is affected by the question of Pentax brand survival. I held out for the longest time with the K system, in the end I just could not wait any longer thus I started to move over to the F system. Still have all of my K equipment, just incase they come up with an FX Body.

I  know I could not convince you, but if you can, try shooting with a D800e and the AF-S 400mm or the 200mm f2.0 or the 14-24mm f2.8 and you will know what I mean. I think the results will impress you.

Good luck.

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
Antal I Kozma
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

Well, good for Pentax users. Now, if they would produce a complete set of lenses like Nikon and Canon has to support their system then it would be even better.

That said, I think that the K-3 is a good camera and if you really do not need FF then you are OK, sans the gaps in the lens line. On the other hand, it almost doesn't matter whether you use Canon, Nikon or Pentax DX cameras they'll all deliver.

Best,
AIK;-)

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,100Gear list
Like?
Well, I hope those who say this enjoy their Pentax cameras...

Pentax makes some pretty decent stuff, and they've been at it a long time. Their fan boys are right to be passionate; good for them.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
Ideal DX < all Nikon FX bodies

Here is Bill Claff's page for graphing dynamic range.

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm

Note the category of "Ideal DX".  Ideal is 100% quantum efficiency and zero noise.  Now compare this with all Nikon FX cameras.  All of them exceed the performance of Ideal DX.

Bunza
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?

SkvLTD wrote:

The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

Wow.

I'm going to throw away my Nikon junk and grab a Pentax. 

Thoughts R Us
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Re: Some say the World is Flat

There are many claims made by many people...same as it ever was...you have to use your judgement...

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bunza, 8 months ago

Bunza wrote:

SkvLTD wrote:

The argument is essentially that the K-3 is a technology-saturated wonder body, with proper water sealing (along with like 2-3 kit lenses that match the specs), amazing sensor tilting gimmicks, sharper kit lenses, fantastic selection, and insane picture quality that results in lack of need for a full frame variety.

Wow.

I'm going to throw away my Nikon junk and grab a Pentax.

Hey if you are interested I will trade you my pentax junk for your Nikon junk straight across

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
Leo "Zoom"
Senior MemberPosts: 1,443Gear list
Like?
That's why so many of them finally move to Nikon :)

Me one of them

-- hide signature --
 Leo "Zoom"'s gear list:Leo "Zoom"'s gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +25 more
SkvLTD
Like?
Re: That's why so many of them finally move to Nikon :)
In reply to Leo "Zoom", 8 months ago

lol good responses, which is what I was going for. Friend of mine got a K-10D a minute ago to be able to use her film day lenses, but it hasn't really stood up to my 5100 at the time whatsoever. That said, I'm still not convinced how the fan boys and girls are trying to justify their claims over the current giants in the industry.

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,372Gear list
Like?

After a lot of angst and research I moved from Pentax to Nikon as well, back in May 2010. As excellent as Pentax is, it was the best thig I ever did.

Pentax make some excellent DSLR bodies, compact very well made, excellent user interface and ergonomics, in camera shake reduction and some superb lenses. However, Pentax does not have a pro series of lenses or bodies and for me FX is just better.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
CallMeAlan
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

Me too.  I had a Pentax K5II and my main lens was the tiny 40mm pancake.  I was impressed with the quality I was getting from it, and some of the shots were stupendously sharp.

But in the end .... here I am with my D800 and three extraordinary lens.  I've kept my little Sony RX100 though.

-- hide signature --

I do wish people would read what they've written before clicking Post. It's so easy to a word out or misspell soemhing.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Skytalker
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
In reply to CallMeAlan, 8 months ago

I have read about this Pentax K3 wonder as well., even more I saw it at work.

I decided to sell my D4s to 'buy one of them.   want an orange one.

I noticed as well that at the Olympics most of the shooters were using K3s. It is the same in stage and nightlife photography.

I am already thrilled to have the K3.

-- hide signature --

Skytalker's gear list:Skytalker's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +9 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,372Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skytalker, 8 months ago

Skytalker wrote:

I have read about this Pentax K3 wonder as well., even more I saw it at work.

I decided to sell my D4s to 'buy one of them. want an orange one.

I noticed as well that at the Olympics most of the shooters were using K3s. It is the same in stage and nightlife photography.

I am already thrilled to have the K3.

-- hide signature --

Great gallery you have.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads