I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture
5 months ago

I'm thinking about the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 - I would appreciate to hear from owners and to see some shots. Are you happy with this lens, general handling etc... (I have the GX7 so I don't want the Olympus 12-24, though it is undoubtedly great..)

What I like about the 12-35 is the versatility (landscape, architecture, environmental portraits, etc...)

The Pana 7-14 and Oly 9-18 are too wide for my tastes, maybe later...

Then it's the Olympus 12 f/2... that's a lens that interests me...

Any thoughts, advice, ideas?

As you can see from my gear list I have the GX7, the Panasonic 20 f/17 ll, the Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4 and the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 ll.

-- hide signature --
 Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,572
Like?
Re: I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 5 months ago

You could consider the New 12-32mm lens. It is almost as good as the 12-35mm lens at 12mm, and much smaller. Some tests I made here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-12mm.html

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-30mm.html

The 12-35mm lens is indeed better, but does the difference matter to you? I'm using the 12-32mm lens now, unless I absolutely need the f/2.8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
In reply to Fredrik Glckner, 5 months ago

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

You could consider the New 12-32mm lens. It is almost as good as the 12-35mm lens at 12mm, and much smaller. Some tests I made here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-12mm.html

http://m43photo.blogspot.fi/2014/03/comparison-30mm.html

The 12-35mm lens is indeed better, but does the difference matter to you? I'm using the 12-32mm lens now, unless I absolutely need the f/2.8.

Thank you for answering, I did have the 12-32, I did like it but I sold it.

I'm something of a lens snob - it's sad to say - i.e. I have a problem with variable aperture lenses... I bought the 14-140, so my next lens has to have a fixed aperture through all the range ....

so, I'm really thinking about the Panasonic 12-35 - and would love to hear from owners.... !

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
MikeyLNG
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

I don't understand how the 12mm is fine, but the 7-14mm and 9-18mm are too wide, even though they both cover 12mm and then some. I would think the wider would certainly give you more options and possibly more interesting shots specifically for landscape/architecture.

MikeyLNG's gear list:MikeyLNG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
In reply to MikeyLNG, 5 months ago

MikeyLNG wrote:

I don't understand how the 12mm is fine, but the 7-14mm and 9-18mm are too wide, even though they both cover 12mm and then some. I would think the wider would certainly give you more options and possibly more interesting shots specifically for landscape/architecture.

You are right in what you are saying, but I also want to shoot environmental portraits, so I'm looking at the 12-35...

I may be wrong, so yeah, maybe I should look at the 7-14 or the 9-18? I'm willing to learn and listen to advice....

-- hide signature --
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
I need fast lenses
In reply to MikeyLNG, 5 months ago

MikeyLNG wrote:

Another factor, I live in Iceland, it's very dark here from long parts of the year, so it's important that to have fast lenses... the 12-35 has a f/2.8 aperture, the Oly 12 is a f/2 ... I like that... 7-14 is a f/4 and the Oly f/4-5.6... I already have one slow lens, the 14-140, I really can't 'afford' to have another...

-- hide signature --
Gravi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264Gear list
Like?
Well..

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

I'm thinking about the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 - I would appreciate to hear from owners and to see some shots. Are you happy with this lens, general handling etc... (I have the GX7 so I don't want the Olympus 12-24, though it is undoubtedly great..)

What I like about the 12-35 is the versatility (landscape, architecture, environmental portraits, etc...)

As you can see from my gear list I have the GX7, the Panasonic 20 f/17 ll, the Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4 and the Panasonic 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 ll.

-- hide signature --

I have it on my E-M5 and love it. Great, versatile, good IQ, compact. It is the lens I usually start out with when taking my camera. However, when I look at my favourite shots, many of them are not taken with this lens. For landscapes and architecture, most of my favourites are taken with the 9-18mm. For portraits the Oly 45mm or Pana 25mm. Close ups some tele or macro lens. So, my conclusion: the 12-35 is a great allrounder, but it does not replace the rest of my bag of lenses. Not even close.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi's gear list:Gravi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +7 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
Re: Well..
In reply to Gravi, 5 months ago

Gravi wrote:

-- hide signature --

I have it on my E-M5 and love it. Great, versatile, good IQ, compact. It is the lens I usually start out with when taking my camera. However, when I look at my favourite shots, many of them are not taken with this lens. For landscapes and architecture, most of my favourites are taken with the 9-18mm. For portraits the Oly 45mm or Pana 25mm. Close ups some tele or macro lens. So, my conclusion: the 12-35 is a great allrounder, but it does not replace the rest of my bag of lenses. Not even close.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

That's interesting, maybe I should bite the bullet and get the 9-18? I have the 25 for portraits... so?

-- hide signature --
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,327
Like?

MikeyLNG wrote:

You are right in what you are saying, but I also want to shoot environmental portraits, so I'm looking at the 12-35...

The 12-35mm is an excellent lens for environmental portraits and you just can't go wrong with it.

OTOH, if you buy the 12-35mm f/2.8, then the, you'll not have much of use for the 12mm f/2.0 unless you really need this extra stop for low light scenes.

I may be wrong, so yeah, maybe I should look at the 7-14 or the 9-18? I'm willing to learn and listen to advice....

You should. The 9-18 is a great lens for landscape / architecture work and I never leave home without it.

Moti

-- hide signature --
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?

Have you considdered waiting for the new P/L 15mm f1.7?  The early samples show wonderful sharpness, minimal (for its focal length) distortion, and you then have that f1.7 aperture for low noise interior shots.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Fredrik Glckner
Like?

Since you must have a fixed max aperture, something I think is hard to understand, I think the choice is clear: the 7-14mm lens.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/06/lumix-g-7-14mm-f4-ultra-wide-angle-lens.html

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?

Since you must have a fixed max aperture, something I think is hard to understand, I think the choice is clear: the 7-14mm lens.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/06/lumix-g-7-14mm-f4-ultra-wide-angle-lens.html

I have a complex regarding this - I admit that freely - probably because zoom lenses used to be bad...

I'm willing to be persuaded to change my mind ... If someone proves to me/tells me that variable aperture is ok... then I'll change my mind...

all of us have some irrational ideas, I'm willing to admit mine ... and try to change

-- hide signature --
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
In reply to al_in_philly, 5 months ago

al_in_philly wrote:

Have you considdered waiting for the new P/L 15mm f1.7? The early samples show wonderful sharpness, minimal (for its focal length) distortion, and you then have that f1.7 aperture for low noise interior shots.

Yes, I have actually thought about that ... maybe I should just wait for this lens... it's of course not very wide (30mm FF) so, that a concern, but I sure it's very good for environmental stuff....

-- hide signature --
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,327
Like?
Re: I need fast lenses

Another factor, I live in Iceland, it's very dark here from long parts of the year, so it's important that to have fast lenses... the 12-35 has a f/2.8 aperture, the Oly 12 is a f/2 ... I like that... 7-14 is a f/4 and the Oly f/4-5.6... I already have one slow lens, the 14-140, I really can't 'afford' to have another...

Iceland is beautiful and true that part of the year can be quite low in light but I can think of places which are much worse than Iceland in this respect.

The one stop difference between the 12mm and the 12-35mm isn't going to do much of a difference here. A tripod or a monopod, costing a fraction of the price than the 12mm will be much more helpful, also for your other lenses. I know, I know, you don't like tripods...

Moti

-- hide signature --
infiniti029
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?

I recently brought my Oly 9-18 to your country. It performed great imo, beautiful place! But i'm in a similar boat as you, considering getting the 12-35. It's just $$$. :/

infiniti029's gear list:infiniti029's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,530Gear list
Like?

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Absolutely! The 7-14mm is the way to go. I rarely have problems with it's f4-ness.

I use it for my interior architectural and design work. The 7mm end is great for shooting interiors. It takes a bit of practice to learn to work with it, but results can be fantastic. A monopod or leaning against things works great if I don't have a tripod or there isn't space for one… that can be a real problem for small New York City apartments!

It also makes an excellent and extremely flexible travel lens. Street shooting, too.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Fredrik Glckner
Like?

I have a complex regarding this - I admit that freely - probably because zoom lenses used to be bad...

Why spend the effort to change? You could get the new Samyang 10mm f/2.8: No zoom, no variable max aperture, no AF, manual aperture ring. No in-camera software distortion correction. What can go wrong?

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
Ok, I will look into that, the 7-14
In reply to jeffharris, 5 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Absolutely! The 7-14mm is the way to go. I rarely have problems with it's f4-ness.

I use it for my interior architectural and design work. The 7mm end is great for shooting interiors. It takes a bit of practice to learn to work with it, but results can be fantastic. A monopod or leaning against things works great if I don't have a tripod or there isn't space for one… that can be a real problem for small New York City apartments!

It also makes an excellent and extremely flexible travel lens. Street shooting, too.

I think this is good advice... a lens that will complement my other lenses... thank you guys ...

In other news, just ordered the Sigma 60 f/2.8 - $250 including shipping / eBay ...  that should take care of the portrait range ...  

-- hide signature --
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Why spend the effort to change? You could get the new Samyang 10mm f/2.8: No zoom, no variable max aperture, no AF, manual aperture ring. No in-camera software distortion correction. What can go wrong?

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/

Too big, too limited ... IMO

-- hide signature --
Fredrik Glckner
Like?
Re: Ok, I will look into that, the 7-14

jeffharris wrote:

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

I think this is good advice... a lens that will complement my other lenses... thank you guys ...

In other news, just ordered the Sigma 60 f/2.8 - $250 including shipping / eBay ... that should take care of the portrait range ...

Yes, the Sigma 60mm lens is a good one. Comparison with the 35-100mm ZOOM here:

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2014/03/comparison-60mm.html

Strangely, it looks like the ZOOM lens is the better one, but I could be wrong.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads