a6000 External Flash?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
a6000 External Flash?
7 months ago

I am looking for an external flash (preferably not so large) for my future a6000, that will have all bounce capabilities + TTL. Any good flashes out there that might be compatible and not too pricy?

Thanks!

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cherylynne1
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: a6000 External Flash?
In reply to kcamacho11, 7 months ago

Do you need to be able to bounce off the ceiling in portrait position?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

Nissin i40 looks like a good match, but it has just been released (is Sony version coming later?) and there's not a lot of information about it yet.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?

I'm no flash expert but people seemed to be fairly excited about this one Nissin i40

It's been linked a few times on this forum like here.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?

As far as I know, these requirements are currently mutually exclusive.

The HVL-F20M is not large, does simple bounce, and provides TTL. It's not cheap, but not too pricey. It does not do "all bounce options."

To get more bounce options (90 degrees left or right, plus up), and TTL, you need to go to kind of large, and somewhat pricey: HVL-F43M.

I'm not sure which of the TTL flashes will support "all" bounce options.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
symbology
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

If you need "all bounce capabilities" your options are limited.  If you refuse to use a shoe adapter, your options are limited even further.    If all of the above is true, you will need to use the Sony HVL-F43M flash.  If you do not mind adapters, you can use the HVL-F43AM, or the HVL-F58AM as they have the same "all bounce capabilities" as the HVL-43M.

I personally do not have an issue using the flash shoe adapter.  The Sony adapter is pretty short and works very well.

You did not mention wireless, or remote flash capability.  I have been using the Phottix Odin TTL remote triggers and I think they are the best way to go.   You can pair them (or the Pixel King TTL triggers) with any older Sony, or Minolta flash as long as it was designed for Digital.  All Sony flashes are full digital, while only the Minolta 3600HSD and 5600HSD are.  These two minolta flashes are the same as the original Sony flashes (HVL-F36AM, and HVL-F56AM).

You can get a set of remote TTL triggers and an older flash for the same price as the HVL-43M and it will be a much more versatile setup.

kcamacho11
Like?
In reply to Cherylynne1, 7 months ago

Cherylynne1 wrote:

Yes

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
kcamacho11
Like?
In reply to JurijTurnsek, 7 months ago

JurijTurnsek wrote:

Nissin i40 looks like a good match, but it has just been released (is Sony version coming later?) and there's not a lot of information about it yet.

Will an adapter be needed with the Nissin i40?

osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,922
Like?

kcamacho11 wrote:

Cherylynne1 wrote:

Yes

better check to make sure that the sony flashes will do p-ttl/adi when the head is pointed straight up, if you need it... i'm pretty sure that the hvl-f60m won't do it.

the fix is to use a flash bracket that lays the flash unit sideways, then rotate the head facing up??

-- hide signature --

dan

ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?

kcamacho11 wrote:

JurijTurnsek wrote:

sony version seems to have a June release date

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,903Gear list
Like?
In reply to osv, 7 months ago

What would be the point of TTL/ADI in bounce mode?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

JurijTurnsek wrote:

No.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
osv
osv
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 7 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

same as it would be when it's pointed right at the subject.

i have a flash bouncer that i made years ago, that attaches to the flash, which means that it only works when the flash points straight up, because it re-directs all of the light forward.

since i'm losing relatively little light with it, p-ttl/adi could still make a difference.

-- hide signature --

dan

symbology
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Because it still works?

As far as I know, only HSS will not work when in a bounce orientation.

It is possible that when it bounce mode only TTL works, and not ADI.  That could also depend on the camera and the flash.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to symbology, 7 months ago

I am not sure TTL actually works with bounce. In fact, it wouldn't make sense to do TTL metering for what is indirect lighting.

HSS ofcourse does not either.

osv
osv
Like?
In reply to symbology, 7 months ago

symbology wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Because it still works?

no hss means no ttl.

the flash automatically reverts to x-sync speed max when the head is pointed upwards.

which means that on the a7r you would only get ttl up to 1/160th... pointing the flash upwards basically cripples the camera, the shutter won't go beyond 1/160th, period.

i don't recall ever having that problem with pentax.

adi only works with lenses that have distance encoders, so i guess that means only the very latest sony glass(??).

you lose adi entirely when the flash is wired up off-camera.

lots of limitations with the sony flash system.

-- hide signature --

dan

osv
osv
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I am not sure TTL actually works with bounce. In fact, it wouldn't make sense to do TTL metering for what is indirect lighting.

it wouldn't make sense to use ttl if you were bouncing off of the ceiling, but using a local bounce mounted on the flash itself is a completely different situation.

try it sometime, it's much better than using one of those baffles that fits over the flash head.

-- hide signature --

dan

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

it wouldn't make sense to use ttl if you were bouncing off of the ceiling, but using a local bounce mounted on the flash itself is a completely different situation.

try it sometime, it's much better than using one of those baffles that fits over the flash head.

-- hide signature --

dan

I was indeed talking about bouncing off the ceiling in that position (straight up).

symbology
Like?

osv wrote:

symbology wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Because it still works?

no hss means no ttl.

the flash automatically reverts to x-sync speed max when the head is pointed upwards.

which means that on the a7r you would only get ttl up to 1/160th... pointing the flash upwards basically cripples the camera, the shutter won't go beyond 1/160th, period.

i don't recall ever having that problem with pentax.

adi only works with lenses that have distance encoders, so i guess that means only the very latest sony glass(??).

you lose adi entirely when the flash is wired up off-camera.

lots of limitations with the sony flash system.

-- hide signature --

dan

"no hss means no ttl."

Are you sure?

HSS does not work because with the higher SS there really is not enough light to bounce off of anything anyway. I can also see why ADI would not longer work.

TTL has always worked as far as I can tell. I have been able to bounce off of walls and ceilings using TTL.  Depending on what I am bouncing off of, flash exposure compensation might be required. That is an easy adjustment to make.

One of the great things about using the Odin's is I get HSS while the flash is in any bounce orientation. I really, really like the Odin's. I set my flashes on TTL and HSS and I just shoot away. If needed, any flash output adjustment can be made on the Odin, or on the camera by way of flash exposure compensation.

Davi7d777
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?

I pre-ordered the A6000 then the HVL-F20S flash that have already received. I will be doing some closeup work with the SEL30M35 lens where getting the flash off the camera is a must. Found this cheap Vello brand, Sony Alpha flash cord 1-meter coiled adaptor for $20 with hot shoe adaptors at each end and am wondering if anyone here has something to say?

http://www.amazon.com/Vello-TTL-Off-Camera-Flash-Alpha-Series/dp/B0055P3RQO

These kind of cord adaptors are just simple one to one wire connections but are notorious for becoming intermittent. The Sony FA-CC1AM plus FA-CS1M do the same thing for a hundred bucks with no doubt quality contacts.

Davi7d777's gear list:Davi7d777's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Nikon Coolpix S3100 Sony a6000 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads