Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
In reply to starman1969, 4 months ago

starman1969 wrote:

Kcott Selby shares similar traits with Ren Kockwell.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

I have never heard of Kcott Selby.....does he have a website?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,691Gear list
Like?
In reply to G3User, 4 months ago

I'm not really sure why I should care what he does?

rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203
Like?
In reply to SkvLTD, 4 months ago

I can see the power struggle between Nik and Can, but Sony? Sony's been in a daze with all that mirrorless nonsense and allowed their flagship to become seriously outdated and dusted. Can't see anyone saying that it's top game these days.

yes I say that and Im a Nikon user for 40 years...
Sony cameras work pretty well!!!!
those that say otherwise havent used them!!
Peter

JaPu
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

Lot of people hint that Kelby is simply motivated by money - could be. He also could be motivated by the brand image.

I'm a long term Nikon user (D300, D90, D700 and regrettably D600). Invested +10k for various Nikon lenses, among them 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, Zeiss 85 etc.

Being one of the first D600 buyers, and seriously p--off by oil/dust problem and Nikon's denial, I nowadays advice everybody to sign on for Canon. Nikon latest D600 saga for fixes are too late. How much residual value you really think my 2.000 USD D600 body is now worth in trade in? 800 USD? After 2 years...

Yes, I know Canon has a history with their own product problems, but Nikon as a company (read Nikon management's view on "customer service") and its continuos denial of product problems is too much for me.  And I suspect that many professionals read this the same way. Frankly,  if you were a pro, which brand (Nikon/Canon) on the long term you would trust more to deliver your pro needs?

Don't blame Kelby and other pros who made the switch, blame Nikon's amateurish management.

JaPu

Thomas Toolan
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to SVPhotography, 4 months ago

In a heartbeat!

Tom

Thomas Toolan's gear list:Thomas Toolan's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +11 more
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
In reply to JaPu, 4 months ago

If you want a really good example of amateur management, look no further than GM!

Over the decades, I have owned cameras and lenses from Canon, Zeiss, Kodak, Bronica, Tamron, Sigma, Sony, etc and now I shoot Nikon. All these companies have annoyed me at some time or other. Why? Because they are run by "humans" and advised by "lawyers" who have no idea of CRM issues.

My D600 is currently in at Nikon for a no-cost shutter upgrade. I find that quite satisfactory as I rate the D600 absolutely peerless in terms of its price / performance.

I wonder how the good people who have suffered at GM management's hands feel about your issues with the D600 versus their issues with GM ignition switches?

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245Gear list
Like?
In reply to roustabout66, 4 months ago

roustabout66 wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

Kcott Selby shares similar traits with Ren Kockwell.

-- hide signature --

I have never heard of Kcott Selby.....does he have a website?

No, but he's got a sebwite lol.

-- hide signature --

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
ImageAmateur
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Huh?????????

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

'Gone too far' ???? A trifle over the top, n'est pas?

1) Does a man not have the right to launch whatever he wants, apart from missilies? If the guy wants to do a roadtrip flying pink knickers out his car window or whatever, that would be fine too...

I don't think his choices should harm anyone else's sensibilities enough to 'go too far'...

2) Erm, if a guy says one camera is better than the other, who cares, for him that may be so.

Some shoot Olympus, some Pentax, some Nikon, some Canon.

Nothing to get too worked up about...

I have a friend who shoots sports in gymnasiums, low light, he loves his 5DMKIII for that, says the focus works really well.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?

Treasonous Traitor - cut off his Canon cannolies.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
ImageAmateur
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - lol
In reply to pixd90, 4 months ago

pixd90 wrote:

Treasonous Traitor - cut off his Canon cannolies.

Hmmm for some reason that seems to have been the consensus in the writings above...   lol

Blistering Barnacles, eh Captain Haddock?

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Drowsy Shah
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
I don't care what camera he uses. That's it. That's all. ()
No text.
azotor
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

it's sad.

Professionals have the experience and knowledge to tell the truth, yet their truth are prone to the money direction.

Amateurs wish to tell the truth but most of them don't have the time or experience to test the truth.

azotor's gear list:azotor's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,144Gear list
Like?
That must be where all that sensor R&D money went :^)

They gave it to Scott Kelby and Art Wolfe! Got to hand it to Canon, they know how to do top of mind awareness.

Johnhk
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?

What bugs me is being cut off from the material one has purchased six months before it's expiry date because he changed his system to a system you cannot access with your existing software, without letting anyone know it was coming. From now on if Scott Kelby appears anywhere in the promotional material I will not touch it with a ten foot pole. Regards

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johnhk, 4 months ago

Johnhk wrote:

What bugs me is being cut off from the material one has purchased six months before it's expiry date because he changed his system to a system you cannot access with your existing software, without letting anyone know it was coming. From now on if Scott Kelby appears anywhere in the promotional material I will not touch it with a ten foot pole. Regards

I'm not sure exactly to what you are referring but surely if he does not deliver what customers have paid for, he owes them redress?

Thoughts R Us
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?
In reply to Johnhk, 4 months ago

Johnhk wrote:

Please elaborate what you mean by this, and how this concerns his switch to Canon equipment.  Given that he primarily teaches on Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, perhaps your problem is with Adobe software?

As someone else said, if you have a problem seek redress from Kelby's company.

afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Jeez

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

So, let me translate your rant to what you are really saying: it is important to you that you can tell your Canon friends that high profile people like Scott Kelby use Nikon gear to justify your own choices, and now that Scott Kelby has switched and your friends are laughing at you for using that argument, you don't like him anymore.

You've also apparently not heard about lots of people having issues with the D4 focus system in certain conditions that cause shots being out of focus, despite being discussed ad nauseam als in this very forum you post this to. I hope you realize that getting in focus shots is more import than any other perceived quality of a camera?

You've also appear to have failed to notice that KelbyOne has been sponsored by Canon way before he switched and that he did because it gives him more keepers (see issue above)

Lastly, he has a commercial company to run and staff to pay. He is in the business about teaching people about Lightroom and Photoshop and post-processing their images. How is this in any ways shape or form related to what flipping brand camera he uses when out on a shoot?

To get your panties in a twist because some high profile dude changes camera brand is rather pathetic, particularly when it has nothing to do with what he does or what he is known for.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
Re: Jeez
In reply to afterburn, 4 months ago

afterburn wrote:

So, let me translate your rant to what you are really saying: it is important to you that you can tell your Canon friends that high profile people like Scott Kelby use Nikon gear to justify your own choices, and now that Scott Kelby has switched and your friends are laughing at you for using that argument, you don't like him anymore.

You've also apparently not heard about lots of people having issues with the D4 focus system in certain conditions that cause shots being out of focus, despite being discussed ad nauseam als in this very forum you post this to. I hope you realize that getting in focus shots is more import than any other perceived quality of a camera?

You've also appear to have failed to notice that KelbyOne has been sponsored by Canon way before he switched and that he did because it gives him more keepers (see issue above)

Lastly, he has a commercial company to run and staff to pay. He is in the business about teaching people about Lightroom and Photoshop and post-processing their images. How is this in any ways shape or form related to what flipping brand camera he uses when out on a shoot?

To get your panties in a twist because some high profile dude changes camera brand is rather pathetic, particularly when it has nothing to do with what he does or what he is known for.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

I must say you've nailed it, big-time. Maybe the implication in the OP's original argument was that Canon's top-of-the-line bodies and lenses are weak compared to Nikon's, and thus Kelby had a lot of nerve to "come down" to Canon. Boulderdash & fanboy-nonsense.

And whether you think he and his company are legitimate, they are extremely successful and have been for a long time. Many people consider him the gold-standard for tutorials on digital imaging editing (I know, many people don't hold him in such high regard evidenced on this forum). But in the end, Nikonites shouldn't turn into bridge-jumpers because of his switch.

Stan

Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,795
Like?

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon.

Double negation!

Dosen't mean what you intended! But...

Yes, it's all about the $$$.

Phil_L

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to Phil_L, 4 months ago

Phil_L wrote:

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon.

Double negation!

Dosen't mean what you intended! But...

Yes, it's all about the $$$.

Phil_L

Scott's a businessman, not the Dalai Lama, and I don't expect him to apologize for that.
And his prime business is editing digital images, now they're coming from a Canon and not a Nikon.
Whoop-de-doo!

Stan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads