Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
G3User
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
3 months ago

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

Canon EOS-1D Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill1000Evening
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
In reply to G3User, 3 months ago

+1

Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

We're all running businesses. The only thing that matters is money. I can assure you he's motivated by nothing else. You can't blame him for that. Should he be hones about it? Probably not. When it comes to PR, it's never really good to admit you're motivated entirely by money. You're supposed to like, care, about others...or something. Yeah so you say that publicly. Or maybe the environment. Or animals. Or the community. But it's really just about delicious money.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Bill1000Evening
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill1000Evening, 3 months ago

Frankly I don't care what kind of camera he uses or endorses.  After reading one of his Photoshop books and watching some of his videos, I've come to the opinion that he's more of a carnival act than a photographer.  I've kind of given up on his sidekick Matt K as well.

Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df
frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
In reply to benjaminblack, 3 months ago

nobody is in business for the fun of it.  i have seen plenty of his videos and he comes across like any other professional.  got some good ideas.  somewhat long-winded. it can hardly be a surprise that a professional uses and brags about equipment they get paid to use.  he's effectively an employee of canon.  with that in mind, his reviews of canon or other manufacturers should carry less weight with his audience.

-- hide signature --
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191
Like?
Who cares !!! (nt)
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 3 months ago

Who cares !!! (nt)

rdhphoto1
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Kelby is just one of many.....
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 3 months ago

.......that have switched to Canon over the years.

When Outdoor Photographer Magazine launched, George Lepp, Dewitt Jones, David Stoecklein, and most of the other writers and photographers were all shooting Nikon.....now they are all shooting Canon. Did Canon BUY them all, or is there another reason they switched??

Yes, there are still a few big names (Wildlife/Nature) shooting Nikon, but the numbers are few. Moose Peterson said he would never switch to MAC computers because the Dell PC was all he needed.....then switched to MAC about 6-8 months ago. Will the "Nikon Ambassador" switch to Canon next??? Time will tell.

Good luck with your photography.

Araucaria
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Kelby is just one of many.....
In reply to rdhphoto1, 3 months ago

Of course they are being paid, otherwise they would use a lot of different gear.  Its not like cameras were expensive these days.

SVPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?

Put it this way - if Canon offered you a couple of 1Dxs with any lens you want to go with it for free - wouldn't you switch?

G3User wrote:

Paul P K
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Happens, seems the norm these days

Last week we had the Professional Imaging 2014 photographic fair/convention (for pros and amateurs) in the Netherlands.

One of the speakers was Joe McNally, known Nikon user, who during his demonstration funheartedly poked fun with users of other brands. No serious harm done there.

Then came a ' well known' modelphotographer (didn't know that category existed prfessionally, I  know portrait, fashion, sports, prduct etc. photographers, but 'modelphotographer'?) Frank Doornbos (never heard of the guy, apperently well known in a small amateur orientated circle in the Netherlands, but internationally?) who in his self centered chest banging 'presentation' bragged about his workshops (apparently his main source of income) and took much trouble to put every other camera brand down to only put Sony at the top.

It would have been easy to believe him, if you wouod not have seen his site where ( coincidentally?) his blog was amnong of many other product plugs full of posts in which Sony camera's featured.

Just another KR wannabee, talk and promote what you're paid for, and genuine information be d**ned.

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D1H Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 +18 more
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191
Like?
In reply to SVPhotography, 3 months ago

SVPhotography wrote:

Put it this way - if Canon offered you a couple of 1Dxs with any lens you want to go with it for free - wouldn't you switch?

G3User wrote:

nope !

bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913
Like?

If it's a business decision on Kelby's part, I assume its a good one, because now he can gain more customers who are Canon shooters.  Kelby site and programs were known as being kind of "Nikonik", and I assume most of his customers were Nikon shooters. Not now.

xtm
xtm
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?

I have two words for this

1. who

2. cares

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +3 more
Thoughts R Us
Regular MemberPosts: 474
Like?
Re: Happens, it always has been the norm
In reply to Paul P K, 3 months ago

Newsflash: people are motivated by money.  Professionals are motivated by money.

It always has been this way.  In any profession, most people will accept money for sponsorship deals.  Do you think famous pro athletes choose Nike or Adidas based on their preference?  No, they go with whichever company pays them the most cash.

The key is for us as consumers to be aware of these sponsorship relationships, so that we may take the advice of these professionals in the appropriate manner.

As for Scott, Canon offered him not only some free equipment but more importantly sponsorship of his events, etc.  In a world where both Nikon and Canon make exceptional equipment, I can't blame him for choosing the one willing to bankroll him. The only thing I might criticize him of is the way that he announced it...kind of downplaying the sponsorship angle, and seeming to prefer Canon equipment on the merits.

Thoughts R Us
Regular MemberPosts: 474
Like?
In reply to rayman 2, 3 months ago

rayman 2 wrote:

SVPhotography wrote:

G3User wrote:

nope !

The key isn't so much that Canon gave Kelby some free equipment...that's nice, but for someone of Kelby's stature that's probably not a dealmaker.  The key is that Canon has offered sponsorship of Kelby events...and that is far more important and lucrative to Kelby and his business model.

So the question should really be: if Canon offered you a ton of sponsorship money, that basically sustained and elevated the bread and butter of your business, would you take it?

I submit that virtually everyone would, because your business model depends on it.  It's a very difficult to make money in the world of professional photography these days, and if Canon can basically ensure your success then of course you will go with them.

Keep in mind that Kelby's main business isn't shooting pics and selling them...it's putting on events, educational seminars, photo walks, etc...and also selling his books/dvd's/instructional software.  Canon now is underwriting a good amount of that.  Witness this Canon in Action Tour.  That's big bucks to Scott.

So I don't blame Scott, as long as he is transparent about his ties with Canon.  Given that his tour is called Canon in Action, I would say he is being about as transparent as possible.

roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?

G3User wrote:

What DXO says must not matter to the majority of sports/action shooters since they also shoot Canon. High dynamic range shots that are out of focus evidently don't sell very well.

SkvLTD
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to roustabout66, 3 months ago

I can see the power struggle between Nik and Can, but Sony? Sony's been in a daze with all that mirrorless nonsense and allowed their flagship to become seriously outdated and dusted. Can't see anyone saying that it's top game these days.

SkvLTD's gear list:SkvLTD's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +4 more
ebuddha
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: Happens, seems the norm these days
In reply to Paul P K, 3 months ago

Paul P K wrote:

Last week we had the Professional Imaging 2014 photographic fair/convention (for pros and amateurs) in the Netherlands.

One of the speakers was Joe McNally, known Nikon user, who during his demonstration funheartedly poked fun with users of other brands. No serious harm done there.

Then came a ' well known' modelphotographer (didn't know that category existed prfessionally, I know portrait, fashion, sports, prduct etc. photographers, but 'modelphotographer'?) Frank Doornbos (never heard of the guy, apperently well known in a small amateur orientated circle in the Netherlands, but internationally?) who in his self centered chest banging 'presentation' bragged about his workshops (apparently his main source of income) and took much trouble to put every other camera brand down to only put Sony at the top.

It would have been easy to believe him, if you wouod not have seen his site where ( coincidentally?) his blog was amnong of many other product plugs full of posts in which Sony camera's featured.

Just another KR wannabee, talk and promote what you're paid for, and genuine information be d**ned.

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Just wanted to add that, as far as professionals go and them doing lectures/demonstrations/workshops, etc that Joe McNally is one of (if not THE) best.  He's got all the latest gear, but will tell you he still loves walking around with an old 28mm prime.  He's a photographer and not a gear-head and isn't a pompus jerk (I met him while I attended a week-long Moose Peterson workshop - the only reason I stuck around was Joe, Moose was an arrogant prck).

roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?
In reply to SkvLTD, 3 months ago

SkvLTD wrote:

I can see the power struggle between Nik and Can, but Sony? Sony's been in a daze with all that mirrorless nonsense and allowed their flagship to become seriously outdated and dusted. Can't see anyone saying that it's top game these days.

Are you replying to me? I did not mention Sony.

starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to roustabout66, 3 months ago

Kcott Selby shares similar traits with Ren Kockwell.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads