A6000 or X-T1?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,507Gear list
Like?
I just use
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 5 months ago

a Sony top line video recorder for my video stuff. Does a wonderful job with 5.1 or 2 channel stereo audio, a floating Optical image stabilizing system (which is easily equal to what the Olympus OMD EM1 does) and is small with super battery life and great color rendition. If I want to do stills I'll stick to my X-T1. Different tools for different purposes. Not ONE tool does all "yet".

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji 56mm f1.2R Lens, Fuji EF-42 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,635Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade path to full frame.
In reply to tesilab, 5 months ago

Actually not true. The new Fuji 56 1.2mm is getting rave reviews. Its cheaper than the FE55 1.8 and is a 1.2 lens sharp wide open (very unusual for a 1.2 lens) and fast AF.

As far as tracking AF I suspect the Sony is a bit better but really 8 fps on the XT1 with 80%+ in focus shots is enough to satisfy any imaging situation I can think of but 11 fps is better no argument there.

XT1:

Best evf

Best LCD (super clear, best I have used)

Picture in picture manual focus - very useful (you can set it to magnified view and you get a little side picture in the EVF showing magnified view which you can also have focus peaking on in magnified view, very very accurate).

Manual dials (not everyone's taste but very popular)

weather sealed.

Generally speaking a much better lens line up.

Its a fabulous looking camera, quite light but really has a fantastic quality feel to it. Some may prefer the sleek look of the A6000.

IQ - superb OOC jpegs, great white balance, intervalometer, good menu system, overall very snappy and fast startup, can use the super fast SC memory cards for even faster operation.

Better high ISO performance. A6000 high ISO look good but seems a tad worse than Nex 6 which was a tad worse than Fuji X (I have used both).

True 14bit files not compressed lossy 11 bit RAW like Sony uses. So you have all the data.

Overall a very nice camera, very refined hard to criticise.

A6000:

Most likely a snappier AF (to be confirmed but probably)

A bit more automatic - intelligent auto (which I like).

Upgrade to A7 if you use FE lenses means no 2nd outlay for lenses.

FE35 and 55 are fabulous lenses. 24-70 good not great. Rest of lenses to come and off to reasonable start but enough of a flub on the 24-70 to make you want to see reviews before you order. Fuji is more reliably top notch.

A6000 has a sleek look and a bit smaller some may prefer that.

PASM dial.

A7/r type menu system which is quite good (Fuji's is a bit better but really A7/r menu is quite OK in my books (I also have an A7r which I love).

The biggest plus for A6000 I think, is the upgrade to A7/r. You can use your FE lenses if you get them on a FF A7/r (which seem to be coming down in price a lot) so that is a nice upgrade.

Similarly if you have an A7/r A6000 makes a good complementary camera for the same reason and use it for sport/fast moving action/kids.

In my opinion the best 2 cameras on the market at present are the Fuji XT1 and the Sony A7r.

XT1 and 56 1.2 lens and A7r with FE55 1.8 lens are the 2 killer combos.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to tesilab, 5 months ago

No they are not. With a speedbooster yes. They are APSc lenses and Sony Emount full frame lenses are called FE lenses. As pointed out the 10-18 will work in some ranges (not all) on a FF Sony but I think that is the exception not the rule.

A7r and A7 will automatically go to crop mode on APSc lenses and A7r becomes a 16mp APSc camera at that point. A7 is less mp.

You should not though consider them to be useable on FF as that is more of a gimmick. Who pays for FF body and then settles for a fraction of the mp and FOV from an APSc lens? It might be useful for birding to get extra reach but I can't see it being acceptable all the time.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
Re: A6000 or X-T1?
In reply to Lmendy, 5 months ago

That's silly. Colour is fine in the Sony. Salesman expert - not a good source for data. Also like any camera these days you can tone colour down. I find X camera colours more colourful in Velvia than Sony in viivid. Zeiss FE35 lens is quite colourful though (I think most would like that performance though).

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to mrstone, 5 months ago

A6000 will have focus peaking, Nex 6 did. I think though A6000 may not have digital level though which would be a bummer as Nex 6 did and the X cameras do and I use that a lot.

I agree Sony video is likely to leave Fuji in the dust in both pictures and sound. Plus power zoom and clear zoom is very nice and seamless AF.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
Re: I just use
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 5 months ago

Only issue to watch out with Sony video is Nex sometimes suffered from overheating after 3.5 minutes video. Not sure if that is solved or not. I bet there will be posts about it though.

The other thing I would be checking out is the Nex 7 had issues with wide angle lenses and magenta cast to the sides of the images. A7/r also has this issue with some rangefinder UWA lenses and even Zeiss 15mm F2.8.

I would check if that is solved or not (I suspect its better but not fully handled).

Greg.

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 5 months ago

Speed boosters are only for SLR lenses since they reverse teleconverter requires reducing the registration distance. There can't be a speed booster for E mount lenses.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jkim7, 5 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

I will probably ask the question that has been asked many times before, but I would really appreciate the advice, before committing myself

Two new cameras, both similar in concept, sensor size, dimensions and popularity. Yet X-T1 with kit lens is double the price of A6000 with it's kit lens. Can it be twice as good?

I heard lots of good about Fuji lenses, especially about 18-55mm kit. Yet, A6000 with 16-70mm Zeiss lens is exactly the same price as X-T1 with kit lens. If one is prepared to spend this much money, would Sony-Zeiss combination be better, compared to Fuji kit?

My requirements are reasonably straightforward (I think). I want something compact and portable (so no FF or DSLR). IQ is important, so no m43 or smaller sensors. Fast AF is nice, but not critical. I do tend to like manual controls, so I would probably hate Sony's "Power zoom" kit lens. I must admit, Fuji's dials look attractive, although I didn't have a chance to actually try to use one

Sturdy build and quality 'feel' is also quite important

I do not have any lenses I can reuse, so this is not a factor

Thank you

As you stated, they are very similar and you can't go wrong with either. Everyone will have an opinion and can argue all day. In the end, it's what you prefer.

I find posts like this just stirs up arguments of what betters what.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 5 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Actually not true. The new Fuji 56 1.2mm is getting rave reviews. Its cheaper than the FE55 1.8 and is a 1.2 lens sharp wide open (very unusual for a 1.2 lens) and fast AF.

As far as tracking AF I suspect the Sony is a bit better but really 8 fps on the XT1 with 80%+ in focus shots is enough to satisfy any imaging situation I can think of but 11 fps is better no argument there.

XT1:

Best evf

Best LCD (super clear, best I have used)

Picture in picture manual focus - very useful (you can set it to magnified view and you get a little side picture in the EVF showing magnified view which you can also have focus peaking on in magnified view, very very accurate).

Manual dials (not everyone's taste but very popular)

weather sealed.

Generally speaking a much better lens line up.

Its a fabulous looking camera, quite light but really has a fantastic quality feel to it. Some may prefer the sleek look of the A6000.

IQ - superb OOC jpegs, great white balance, intervalometer, good menu system, overall very snappy and fast startup, can use the super fast SC memory cards for even faster operation.

Better high ISO performance. A6000 high ISO look good but seems a tad worse than Nex 6 which was a tad worse than Fuji X (I have used both).

True 14bit files not compressed lossy 11 bit RAW like Sony uses. So you have all the data.

Overall a very nice camera, very refined hard to criticise.

A6000:

Most likely a snappier AF (to be confirmed but probably)

A bit more automatic - intelligent auto (which I like).

Upgrade to A7 if you use FE lenses means no 2nd outlay for lenses.

FE35 and 55 are fabulous lenses. 24-70 good not great. Rest of lenses to come and off to reasonable start but enough of a flub on the 24-70 to make you want to see reviews before you order. Fuji is more reliably top notch.

A6000 has a sleek look and a bit smaller some may prefer that.

PASM dial.

A7/r type menu system which is quite good (Fuji's is a bit better but really A7/r menu is quite OK in my books (I also have an A7r which I love).

The biggest plus for A6000 I think, is the upgrade to A7/r. You can use your FE lenses if you get them on a FF A7/r (which seem to be coming down in price a lot) so that is a nice upgrade.

Similarly if you have an A7/r A6000 makes a good complementary camera for the same reason and use it for sport/fast moving action/kids.

In my opinion the best 2 cameras on the market at present are the Fuji XT1 and the Sony A7r.

XT1 and 56 1.2 lens and A7r with FE55 1.8 lens are the 2 killer combos.

Greg.

Agreed.  I have A7R and XT1.  I like the shooting experience with the XT1 more, sorry I am an old fashioned dial/button guy.

Fuji's lens lineup is ahead of sony FE in both focal lengths and prices.  The 56f1.2 is as good as the 55f1.8, I shoot both and TBH they are both WOW lenses.  Naturally the 56f.12 is a better portrait lens on an APS-C sensor, so that is about the only reason I would take the 56f1.2 over the 55f1.8.

The 35mmFE and the 35mm Fuji are also a wash IMO.  Again it is really just a matter of what I want to shoot.

Then we get to the 55200, 1855, and 1024 Fuji lenses.  The 55200 is an amazingly sharp lens for the price and size. I just don't feel the FE 70200 is going to be that much better given it's much larger size which is a big negative for me.  Shooting the FE70200 and the A6000 just seems wrong lol.  The jury is still out on the 1024 but most tests I have seen are fantastic.  Mine arrives tomorrow.

Certainly a preference and opinion but I like the A7R for landscape (use the SEL1018f4 - methodical, planned, calculated tripod exposures) and use the XT1 for just about everything else.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 672
Like?
In reply to Jkim7, 5 months ago

The A6000 hasn't shipped yet, so meaningful comparisons are difficult, and I'm not sure you can talk about the "popularity" of a camera that can't be bought yet. At least in my market.

The Sony/Fuji interface differences are significant enough that you'll want to try both. If you really do prefer manual controls, Fuji is a solid win.

If compact, portable, IQ and manual controls are important, as you've written, why not look at the XE1 (US$800 w/18-55) or XE2 (US$1,400 w/18-55)? The price gap you're talking about is partially because you're comparing Fuji's highest-end body with a Sony mid-/upper-end body. The A6000 is priced between the NEX6 & NEX7, it's not an NEX8. You can get essentially the same XT1 IQ and same manual controls on lower-priced Fuji bodies.

Jkim7 wrote:

...Two new cameras, both similar in concept, sensor size, dimensions and popularity. Yet X-T1 with kit lens is double the price of A6000 with it's kit lens. Can it be twice as good?...I want something compact and portable (so no FF or DSLR). IQ is important...Fast AF is nice, but not critical. I do tend to like manual controls...Fuji's dials look attractive, although I didn't have a chance to actually try to use one

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads