I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
MFiftysomething
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 6 months ago

A6000 bodies have been out for a week or more in UK but with kit lens a later release so only got mine today:

First impresssions; very similar to Nex 6 bit more metal rather than plastic but really little difference is it 1 extra button.  I like having a specified menu button.

New menues I like ..so far easeier to navigate.

Focus is amazing! On continuos focus moving camera around it seemed like it was never out of focus , but I need more time with it.

EVF looks good to me.

I can't comment on image quality yet, but not expecting any real improvment on the Nex 6 to be honest but I really wanted fast focus.  I was trying to get some moire in movies and could only get a very little -it was a problem sometimes on the Nex 6 so hopefully an improvment but need more time to test.

Charger is same, no plastic hot shoe protector just a sticker saying wifi over it!

Movie button still in perfect place -unless you actually want to press it.

I think I will like this camera but unless you really need that speed, the 6 is cheaper and not exactly slow!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 6 months ago

Sam Rijver wrote:

mrbenji wrote:

pe that helps...

It really does. And make sense too! I was very focused on the new camera and didn't really took the time needed to plan shots and settings. With this public failure posted and your great response I feel a lot better about the camera + 55-210 combination.

Thankyou very much!

You're quite welcome... hey, we've all been there! I'm no pro, either, and have made my share of poor exposure decisions.

From what I've read, the 55-210 is probably the 2nd-best ~200mm E-Mount zoom (behind the new FE-mount 70-200/4 that's 2X the price), especially in light bright enough to use it at @ f8 (ideally with low ISOs). I've flirted with the idea of getting one myself, but I always carry my tripod, so my bright, razor-sharp Minolta MD 70-210/4 Macro (manual lens) is more than enough for distant but reasonably-still subjects. I'm hoping my A6000's EVF will help me get better at using it for action shots in good light... we'll see.

My recommendation for shooting very still subjects (like landscapes, or flowers that aren't swaying at all) is as follows -- the custom settings on your A6000 should make it super easy to set these all once and return whenever you do a landscape. It looks complicated at first, but I've found this is a way easier way to get consistently good results:

  • use a tripod and a cheap IR remote (or the smartphone remote app)
  • live histogram is on (mine is ALWAYS on)
  • SteadyShot stabilization off
  • Camera set for remote triggering
  • manual mode
  • ISO 100
  • lens at f8... choose a higher f-stop only for landscapes where there's stuff both close and far away you want in crisp focus, or an f-stop as low as it will go if you're trying to get something in the foreground sharp with the background blurred
  • adjust your shutter speed until the "hill" in your histogram is in the center or a bit towards the right
  • compose your shot
  • fire your shutter with the remote or the remote app

Once you've put the relevant settings on a custom program (including f8), taking a sharp landscape will be SO easy:

  • select your "landscape" custom mode
  • decide whether you want an aperture different from f8 and if so, change it
  • dial the shutter speed to center your histogram
  • compose & take your shot with the remote

(ISO 200 is the minimum ISO on my NEX-5, this was shot with a manual Minolta MD 24/2.8 @ f11)

 mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,632Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to MFiftysomething, 6 months ago

MFiftysomething wrote:

A6000 bodies have been out for a week or more in UK but with kit lens a later release so only got mine today:

First impresssions; very similar to Nex 6 bit more metal rather than plastic but really little difference is it 1 extra button. I like having a specified menu button.

New menues I like ..so far easeier to navigate.

Focus is amazing! On continuos focus moving camera around it seemed like it was never out of focus , but I need more time with it.

EVF looks good to me.

I can't comment on image quality yet, but not expecting any real improvment on the Nex 6 to be honest but I really wanted fast focus. I was trying to get some moire in movies and could only get a very little -it was a problem sometimes on the Nex 6 so hopefully an improvment but need more time to test.

Charger is same, no plastic hot shoe protector just a sticker saying wifi over it!

The sticker probably cost more than the hot shoe protector would have.

Movie button still in perfect place -unless you actually want to press it.

When will Sony ever learn to make the movie button assignable to other functions?

I think I will like this camera but unless you really need that speed, the 6 is cheaper and not exactly slow!

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,196
Like?
Re: Question about video stabilization
In reply to 123Mike, 6 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out in your decision when considering purchasing this camera.

It is possible that some lenses will provide much better OSS for video that others. The 18-55 *sucks* at it! It's almost pointless for video. The 18-105 is probably much better because it seems more like a video lens, because it's marketed for use on those big pro video cameras they sell, and it has power zoom. So, chances are that the mechanics are such that it can move the image around a *lot* more. But that's a costly lens! It's like $600+! Why can I not have decent practical family use and have video come out at least a bit stable, like I get from my A57...

Hopefully, my question won't be misunderstood and that we won't have to listen to endless lectures about OSS and IBIS and all that. I know about all of that....

Not much help to you but I think you may be happy (depending on the lens), if not now, then with lenses to come.

I use the A7 and with the A7 kit lens, well video stabilization seems quite good....yesterday, using the A7 and kit lens for video on a trip along some quite bumpy Australian country roads....just shooting ahead through the windscreen, I was really surprised at how good the video was and a lot of that was down to the stabilization.

I would have uploaded some of it I was so pleased with it but the windscreen was filthy and I had three great globs of gunk on my sensor.

Will try again sometime though....the A7 kit lens is actually quite good I think and a half decent video lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to 123Mike, 6 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Hi Sam

What lens did you choose to go with the new camera?

I own a bunch of lenses already so I just picked up the body. I currently have:

* 18-55 that came with NEX-5N

* 16-50 that came with NEX-6

* Sigma 19 2.8

* Sigma 60 2.8

* 55-210 zoom

A sensible combination. Good, and not expensive.

Ever tried any legacy manual focus lenses?

I did. I have a M42 adapter and a Pentacon 29 2.8 and a great Helios 44m 2.0 lens. I really enjoy 'playing' with them but to be honest I do use them often enough. I really do like the option for the great pieces of old (and cheap) glass!

I like my collection, I hope to extend it with the 35mm 1.8 from Sony eventually. Or with some of the Zeiss stuff where I to find a big sack of money.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to mrbenji, 6 months ago

Thanks again for taking the time to share this with me! I very much appreciate it!

-- hide signature --
 Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 6 months ago

Sam Rijver wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Hi Sam

What lens did you choose to go with the new camera?

I own a bunch of lenses already so I just picked up the body. I currently have:

* 18-55 that came with NEX-5N

* 16-50 that came with NEX-6

* Sigma 19 2.8

* Sigma 60 2.8

* 55-210 zoom

A sensible combination. Good, and not expensive.

Ever tried any legacy manual focus lenses?

I did. I have a M42 adapter and a Pentacon 29 2.8 and a great Helios 44m 2.0 lens. I really enjoy 'playing' with them but to be honest I do use them often enough. I really do like the option for the great pieces of old (and cheap) glass!

I like my collection, I hope to extend it with the 35mm 1.8 from Sony eventually. Or with some of the Zeiss stuff where I to find a big sack of money.

There is another toy I can highly recommend: Roxsen Focal Reducer ! It works with limitations. It really does make it seem like your camera becomes a full frame camera. You can a stop of light, and the focal length is divided by 1.5. So, that 44mm F/2.0 lens becomes an 30mm F/1.4 lens! Also, the sharpness is increased because the image is more concentrated, except for the extreme sides and corners. It has a problem with stopped down lenses outside in daylight which creates a blue large area in the middle, but that's not where you'd be using this. It's more for indoor or outside in *low* light. However, I was able to make good outdoor shots with it too. Those things go for about $100 on Ebay, and  you have to pick from what mount to what mount you're converting. Given you can convert M42 to A-mount using a $5 ring, I recommend the A-mount to E-mount version, because then you get M42 and A-mount compatibility in one. A beercan 70-210 F/4 becomes 50-150 F/2.8. 50/1.4 becomes 35/1.0 ! The sharpness is good, the CA and PF is... nonexistent just about! It's much much better than the arbitrary dismissals that have been assumed in places... They just didn't have one.

 123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to 123Mike, 6 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Sam Rijver wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Hi Sam

What lens did you choose to go with the new camera?

I own a bunch of lenses already so I just picked up the body. I currently have:

* 18-55 that came with NEX-5N

* 16-50 that came with NEX-6

* Sigma 19 2.8

* Sigma 60 2.8

* 55-210 zoom

A sensible combination. Good, and not expensive.

Ever tried any legacy manual focus lenses?

I did. I have a M42 adapter and a Pentacon 29 2.8 and a great Helios 44m 2.0 lens. I really enjoy 'playing' with them but to be honest I do use them often enough. I really do like the option for the great pieces of old (and cheap) glass!

I like my collection, I hope to extend it with the 35mm 1.8 from Sony eventually. Or with some of the Zeiss stuff where I to find a big sack of money.

There is another toy I can highly recommend: Roxsen Focal Reducer ! It works with limitations. It really does make it seem like your camera becomes a full frame camera. You can a stop of light, and the focal length is divided by 1.5. So, that 44mm F/2.0 lens becomes an 30mm F/1.4 lens! Also, the sharpness is increased because the image is more concentrated, except for the extreme sides and corners. It has a problem with stopped down lenses outside in daylight which creates a blue large area in the middle, but that's not where you'd be using this. It's more for indoor or outside in *low* light. However, I was able to make good outdoor shots with it too. Those things go for about $100 on Ebay, and you have to pick from what mount to what mount you're converting. Given you can convert M42 to A-mount using a $5 ring, I recommend the A-mount to E-mount version, because then you get M42 and A-mount compatibility in one. A beercan 70-210 F/4 becomes 50-150 F/2.8. 50/1.4 becomes 35/1.0 ! The sharpness is good, the CA and PF is... nonexistent just about! It's much much better than the arbitrary dismissals that have been assumed in places... They just didn't have one.

I've made few notes, thanks! All sounds super fun. I currently want to just get better at using the gear I have (yet I still 'dream' about that 35 1.8). I really enjoy shooting pictures and I'm sure one or more toys you recommended me will make a way into my house eventually! Thanks a bunch for sharing this knowledge with me!

-- hide signature --
 Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Juhaz, 6 months ago

Shipped, finally. Should be here on thursday

 Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rich Gibson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,336
Like?
Latest from Sony Alphs Rumors is the 10th
In reply to Sam Rijver, 6 months ago

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ (today's article 4/8/14)

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
beancounterbeth
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 6 months ago

I hope someone can help me with a quick question. I am not someone who works in manual mode much, if at all. I have taken a short course in photography but without using it often I quickly forgot what I was taught. I need a camera for travel and family get togethers. A local photo shop has ordered me a Sony a6000. I am leaving for a two week vacation in Australia soon and need to figure out if this is the camera for me. Also, is the kit lens good enough?

Thanks in advance.
Beth

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ambulater
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to beancounterbeth, 6 months ago

beancounterbeth wrote:

Also, is the kit lens good enough?

Thanks in advance.
Beth

Beth, I can't speak directly to the A6000 as mine hasn't arrived yet, but I've used the exact same kit lens on the very similar forerunner to the A6000, the NEX-6. Based on this I would say, yes, the kit lens is probably good enough for your uses. Based on what you've said, you prefer auto modes and I'm guessing that likely means you also shoot in jpeg. The kit lens is fairly decent in both these cases. It's not stellar, but it's pretty good, very versatile, and small when retracted.

I think the lens isn't as great when you shoot in full manual mode because of the variable aperture. The distortion at the wide end is also significant when you shoot RAW, but the if you're doing jpegs the camera fixes this in camera. Hope this helps.

 Ambulater's gear list:Ambulater's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to beancounterbeth, 6 months ago

beancounterbeth wrote:

I hope someone can help me with a quick question. I am not someone who works in manual mode much, if at all. I have taken a short course in photography but without using it often I quickly forgot what I was taught. I need a camera for travel and family get togethers. A local photo shop has ordered me a Sony a6000. I am leaving for a two week vacation in Australia soon and need to figure out if this is the camera for me. Also, is the kit lens good enough?

Thanks in advance.
Beth

Hi Beth,

This camera is extremely nice and has a great iAuto function which guesses the settings and things you want to shoot pretty well! The kit lens is nice and while some people don't like it it should do very well on your trip. You can consider getting another lens for low-light but know that it will cost a few hundred bucks extra (35mmf18). I wouldn't worry about it too much thought and first enjoy your new great camera!

Even if you plan to use auto a lot I recommend playing around with the camera a good bit before taking it on vacation and making critical shots, it's always nice to know how a camera will respond to different situations.  I would also recommend at least trying to get yourself comfortable using the A (aperture priority) mode.

Best of luck and enjoy your vacation!

-- hide signature --
 Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,347
Like?
Thought by now you would do an AF comparison
In reply to Rich Gibson, 6 months ago

I see that you have the nex 6 so what about afs comparison? Would be most appreciated as i am not interested in the speed of continuos shooting. I wouldn't changed because of the extra megapixels but if my 50mm f1.8 reacted much faster I would.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
Finally got mine delivered
In reply to Sam Rijver, 6 months ago

Weather estimates don't look too good for the weekend, but hopefully there's at least few moments good enough to take some photos with it too.

 Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads