I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,575Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to RobDJW, 8 months ago

RobDJW wrote:

I was quite surprised when my camera store contacted me this morning that they had an A6000 with my name on it. I didn't think it would be available till at least the 15th of this month.

I really just picked it up and haven't had time to play with it too much. The autofocus does seem to be improved a lot. I'm kind of disappointed by the 'feel' of the system, it feel a little less premium compared to my NEX 6, at least in my hand. Maybe I just expected the metallic looking bits to feel cool instead of like painted plastics ;). I was so used to my NEX 6 menu's that I need to take some time to get familiar with these, lol!

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out in your decision when considering purchasing this camera. I'm happy to do what I can posting images, explanations and others thing regarding this camera. I will go out and shoot some pics later today.

O I'm in the Netherlands, for those wondering where this camera showed up in stock.

I had it a week ago, and my impression is that it is great. Af is so much better then the nex6 that i really can't believe you don't notice that. Even my 50mm Sony is like a totally different lens.
Greetings Rob.

Reports were that just getting the new firmware update for the 5R and the 6 improve focusing speed and maybe some other things.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,575Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 8 months ago

Welcome to the Forum, Sam!

I have one question. The NEX-6 has a Quick Navi screen from which one can quickly change any one of maybe 20 functions. Other camera makes use the generic name for  this feature, 'Quick Menu.'

Strangely, although the screen is there, the NEX-5R is missing this feature and I don't know about the 5T.

Do you, or does anyone else know if this important feature, Quick Navi, is present in the A6000?

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 730
Like?
In reply to captura, 8 months ago

captura wrote:

I have one question. The NEX-6 has a Quick Navi screen from which one can quickly change any one of maybe 20 functions. Other camera makes use the generic name for this feature, 'Quick Menu.'

Strangely, although the screen is there, the NEX-5R is missing this feature and I don't know about the 5T.

Do you, or does anyone else know if this important feature, Quick Navi, is present in the A6000?

Steve

It has the same Fn button, so I assume the same features are available.

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about video stabilization
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

viking79 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

... I'm a programmer, and I'm considering making a media playback and imaging organizing app for Android, and I'm looking at the video play back APIs, and it *looks* like it might be possible to display each frame at a different position, if the frames can be run through open-gl related apis fast enough... so I have to write software to deshake video that Sony couldn't be bothered to digitally stabilize for us...

You know this capability already exists in many consumer level video editing programs, right?

You know that not everyone uses these programs, right?

I want to not have to spend oodles of time editing video. I just want to copy the files to a USB drive, and then play it back using a media player in the living room. I wish media play back software has deshaking built in. In fact, I wish televisions had this feature built in. I could deshake all those purposely shaken tv shows. My wife likes to watch some of those shows, but I can't watch it, because the intentional (post process introduced) camera shake is unbearable.

My Samsung NX30 has DIS (digital image stabilization) for video which can be enabled separately, haven't tried it though.

I imagine more and more devices will add it. I like it for video since it doesn't add audible noise like a sensor or lens based stabilization can.

E-mount lenses don't produce any noises. The issue is that OSS lenses can't deshake the video like digital does. It's possible that the 18-55 just *really* sucks at it, and that something like the 18-105 *is* good at it, but $600 good grief. With the A33 I always had to do stuff to the video before showing it in the living room. With the A57 I didn't have to. It looks like with the A6000 it's going to need fidgeting with video again. Disappointed.

I believe RX10 is your best bet for video.

Yeah but that'd be a second camera an another $1200.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?

RobDJW wrote:

I was quite surprised when my camera store contacted me this morning that they had an A6000 with my name on it. I didn't think it would be available till at least the 15th of this month.

I really just picked it up and haven't had time to play with it too much. The autofocus does seem to be improved a lot. I'm kind of disappointed by the 'feel' of the system, it feel a little less premium compared to my NEX 6, at least in my hand. Maybe I just expected the metallic looking bits to feel cool instead of like painted plastics ;). I was so used to my NEX 6 menu's that I need to take some time to get familiar with these, lol!

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out in your decision when considering purchasing this camera. I'm happy to do what I can posting images, explanations and others thing regarding this camera. I will go out and shoot some pics later today.

O I'm in the Netherlands, for those wondering where this camera showed up in stock.

I had it a week ago, and my impression is that it is great. Af is so much better then the nex6 that i really can't believe you don't notice that. Even my 50mm Sony is like a totally different lens.
Greetings Rob.

I think I wrote it's improved, a lot even. I just "complained" a bit about how the camera feels in hand.

So weird that cameranu had them. Must have been for only a very short while because I was checking that (and every other big site) for a good 10 days quite regularly. Very happy with my purchase so far.

Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Sam Rijver
Like?

captura wrote:

I have one question. The NEX-6 has a Quick Navi screen from which one can quickly change any one of maybe 20 functions. Other camera makes use the generic name for this feature, 'Quick Menu.'

Steve

Thanks. It has. You have two rows with quick to access functions, you can customise both rows with the settings (or more important, order of settings) you want.

Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Caris
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?

Since you also have the 5N, can you please compare the AF-S focus speed with centre spot and flexible point ( how easy is it to move it around as in 5N it's instant ) and accuracy between the two (in good and low light ). Is the improvement significant enough?

We already know about the apparently blazing fast AF-C tracking ability ( but not really about the focus accuracy as nobody seems to be able to confirm it  - videos on YouTube don't really show the actual results ) but I am interested in the AF-S performance.

Also, I can see you have some "standard" e-mount lenses ( E1855, E19, E55210 ), have you updated the firmware for them and if so, how do they perform on the a6000? There have been some suggestions that the new 24mp sensor might outresolve them.

123Mike
Like?
Re: Question about battery compatibility

Thanks, I checked to see what it would come down to, for Canada, but availability and price isn't that great for the Wasabis it seems.

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Sam Rijver
Like?
In reply to Caris, 8 months ago

Caris wrote:

Since you also have the 5N, can you please compare the AF-S focus speed with centre spot and flexible point ( how easy is it to move it around as in 5N it's instant ) and accuracy between the two (in good and low light ). Is the improvement significant enough?

We already know about the apparently blazing fast AF-C tracking ability ( but not really about the focus accuracy as nobody seems to be able to confirm it - videos on YouTube don't really show the actual results ) but I am interested in the AF-S performance.

Also, I can see you have some "standard" e-mount lenses ( E1855, E19, E55210 ), have you updated the firmware for them and if so, how do they perform on the a6000? There have been some suggestions that the new 24mp sensor might outresolve them.

Will check tomorrow for the focus thing.

Updating them as we speak. I haven't heard of any issues (didn't even know you could update lenses!). Let me know what to look for to detect this issue of the sensor out resolving the lenses. I took some shots with the 55-210 and wasn't too impressed. Might be a real issue.

RobDJW
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?

RobDJW wrote:

Greetings Rob.

Reports were that just getting the new firmware update for the 5R and the 6 improve focusing speed and maybe some other things.

Yes it did, but no competition for a6000.
Not only faster, also more accurate. And focustracking really works.

RobDJW's gear list:RobDJW's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
RobDJW
Like?

RobDJW wrote:

Greetings Rob.

I think I wrote it's improved, a lot even. I just "complained" a bit about how the camera feels in hand.

So weird that cameranu had them. Must have been for only a very short while because I was checking that (and every other big site) for a good 10 days quite regularly. Very happy with my purchase so far.

Feel is subjective indeed, for me it feels more mature, tighter, the shutter release button feels less flimsy. The more customisable buttons are a big plus too.

I ordered last week Thursday, and received it on Friday the day after. Talk about fast

Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sam Rijver
Like?
In reply to Caris, 8 months ago

Here are 3 images from the 55-210 v1 firmware. I'm less than happy with the sharpness. Updated the lens and I'm hopeful it will preform better now, it does look like the pd is now supported.

I'm just a hobbyist, no pro so please forgive my ignorance on a bunch of these topics. I appreciate all the help I can get!

Sam Rijver
Like?

RobDJW wrote:

RobDJW wrote:

Greetings Rob.

Feel is subjective indeed, for me it feels more mature, tighter, the shutter release button feels less flimsy. The more customisable buttons are a big plus too.

I ordered last week Thursday, and received it on Friday the day after. Talk about fast

Getting used to it as we speak! I'm very happy with how it feels now. I just expected a little more metal I think!

RobDJW
Like?

RobDJW wrote:

RobDJW wrote:

Greetings Rob.

Getting used to it as we speak! I'm very happy with how it feels now. I just expected a little more metal I think!

I really had to get used to the new menu, but I'm getting there. Couple of things bug me though, to zoom in you have to use a different button then on the nex, no level gauge, what's up with that! I use grid now to keep the lines straight but what a awful decision not to include it.
Could install same apps from My play memories account on the A6000, and the evf is better adjustable for me as a glasses wearer.

Bonkles
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?

Sam Rijver wrote:

Hi Sam

What lens did you choose to go with the new camera?

Sam Rijver
Like?
In reply to Bonkles, 8 months ago

Bonkles wrote:

Sam Rijver wrote:

Hi Sam

I own a bunch of lenses already so I just picked up the body. I currently have:

* 18-55 that came with NEX-5N

* 16-50 that came with NEX-6

* Sigma 19 2.8

* Sigma 60 2.8

* 55-210 zoom

Sam Rijver
Like?

I really had to get used to the new menu, but I'm getting there. Couple of things bug me though, to zoom in you have to use a different button then on the nex, no level gauge, what's up with that! I use grid now to keep the lines straight but what a awful decision not to include it.
Could install same apps from My play memories account on the A6000, and the evf is better adjustable for me as a glasses wearer.

Yeah I miss the level too! Really weird it isn't included. I also prefer the EVF (I wear glasses too). And yes, I'm weirded out with the way we need to zoom on in pictures. I'm going to give the menu's some time and I'm sure I'll get used to it (and it's quirks) eventually.

mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

Sam Rijver wrote:

Here are 3 images from the 55-210 v1 firmware. I'm less than happy with the sharpness. Updated the lens and I'm hopeful it will preform better now, it does look like the pd is now supported.

I'm just a hobbyist, no pro so please forgive my ignorance on a bunch of these topics. I appreciate all the help I can get!

I assume you either weren't using a tripod, or there was a bit of wind, or both? If so, on the first two your problem is clear... you're zooming way in, but your shutter speed is only 1/13sec, because you appear to have forced the camera to use ISO 100. There's a little bit of chromatic aberration (magenta fringing), but IMO most of what you're seeing is motion blur from handholding or from the flowers swaying slightly during the exposure window.

If there was no wind, you'd have been better off using a tripod and turning off your OSS (lens stabilization)... there's no way OSS can compensate for handheld 1/13sec shot at 117mm (pic#2), much less at 210mm (pic#1). If there was wind, the only solution would have been to bump your ISO up a notch or two and/or zoom out and move closer to the flowers, so you could get your shutter speed up over maybe 1/60sec or 1/80sec, and your aperture wide open (f4.5 at 55mm)... aside from having more light and a faster shutter, shorter zoom lengths are easier to stabilize, period.

As for the third image, looking at your settings I'd guess your image was quite underexposed... if these were taken around the same time, you've almost tripled your shutter speed while closing down your aperture from f5.6 to f6.3 -- both of those changes cut down on the amount of light available to the sensor. I'm guessing from the muddy contrast you had to boost this in Lightroom to get up as bright as it is, and/or or there was a decent amount of haze in the air, and you were focused on some point far off in the distance.

Hope that helps...

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sam Rijver
Like?
In reply to mrbenji, 8 months ago

mrbenji wrote:

Sam Rijver wrote:

I assume you either weren't using a tripod, or there was a bit of wind, or both? If so, on the first two your problem is clear... you're zooming way in, but your shutter speed is only 1/13sec, because you appear to have forced the camera to use ISO 100. There's a little bit of chromatic aberration (magenta fringing), but IMO most of what you're seeing is motion blur from handholding or from the flowers swaying slightly during the exposure window.

If there was no wind, you'd have been better off using a tripod and turning off your OSS (lens stabilization)... there's no way OSS can compensate for handheld 1/13sec shot at 117mm (pic#2), much less at 210mm (pic#1). If there was wind, the only solution would have been to bump your ISO up a notch or two and/or zoom out and move closer to the flowers, so you could get your shutter speed up over maybe 1/60sec or 1/80sec, and your aperture wide open (f4.5 at 55mm)... aside from having more light and a faster shutter, shorter zoom lengths are easier to stabilize, period.

As for the third image, looking at your settings I'd guess your image was quite underexposed... if these were taken around the same time, you've almost tripled your shutter speed while closing down your aperture from f5.6 to f6.3 -- both of those changes cut down on the amount of light available to the sensor. I'm guessing from the muddy contrast you had to boost this in Lightroom to get up as bright as it is, and/or or there was a decent amount of haze in the air, and you were focused on some point far off in the distance.

Hope that helps...

It really does. And make sense too! I was very focused on the new camera and didn't really took the time needed to plan shots and settings. With this public failure posted and your great response I feel a lot better about the camera + 55-210 combination.

Thankyou very much!

-- hide signature --
123Mike
Like?

Sam Rijver wrote:

Bonkles wrote:

Sam Rijver wrote:

Hi Sam

I own a bunch of lenses already so I just picked up the body. I currently have:

* 18-55 that came with NEX-5N

* 16-50 that came with NEX-6

* Sigma 19 2.8

* Sigma 60 2.8

* 55-210 zoom

A sensible combination. Good, and not expensive.

Ever tried any legacy manual focus lenses?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads