I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Sam Rijver
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
8 months ago

I was quite surprised when my camera store contacted me this morning that they had an A6000 with my name on it. I didn't think it would be available till at least the 15th of this month.

I really just picked it up and haven't had time to play with it too much. The autofocus does seem to be improved a lot. I'm kind of disappointed by the 'feel' of the system, it feel a little less premium compared to my NEX 6, at least in my hand. Maybe I just expected the metallic looking bits to feel cool instead of like painted plastics ;). I was so used to my NEX 6 menu's that I need to take some time to get familiar with these, lol!

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out in your decision when considering purchasing this camera. I'm happy to do what I can posting images, explanations and others thing regarding this camera. I will go out and shoot some pics later today.

O I'm in the Netherlands, for those wondering where this camera showed up in stock.

Sam Rijver's gear list:Sam Rijver's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?
Re: I just picked up my Sony A6000 - In stock everywhere?
In reply to Sam Rijver, 8 months ago

Not here. Preorder on black, body-only from Sony Finland, order tracking says "we're missing one of your items, blah blah", no estimate on availability. Store page says "sold out", also no availability estimates.

Admittedly, it was a pretty late order (27.3), so I'm probably at the end of the queue, but still. I think I'm going to cancel if it doesn't ship tomorrow, and reorder from Amazon.de, no point paying almost 100€ premium to get it faster if it's not actually any faster.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Question about video stabilization

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out in your decision when considering purchasing this camera.

YES ! Please ! I would really really really like to know a couple of things that noone ever talks about. Not in forums, not in reviews. Often when I post questions in forums about it, I get literally nothing back at all.

Question 1: video stabilization. Is there digital video stabilization that is either always on when choosing steadyshot, or is there a separate way of turning on video steadyshot. I know that on some E-mount cameras, like my A3000, it is up to the lens' OSS to provide stabilization. At least on the 18-55 kit lens, that stabilization is only good for photos, and for video it does not accomplish a good job of stabilizing *at-all*. End results of hand-held video are hopelessly jumpy. My A33 relied on mechanical stabilization as well. Also a futile attempt. Then my A57 did that digitally. It has to crop the video a bit. What it does is it uses the edges that are created by cropping a bit, to be able to scroll around the frames, lining them up, creating a "deshaked" video. But it works like a charm. Buttery smooth hand-held video is the result. So I would like to know if when you start a video, that you see a zoom-in, a crop, indicating that it enabled digital stabilization, which is what I want (what we all *should* want!). On my A3000, I don't see that crop. When I start a video, only a small strips off the top and bottom goes away (shows black), but that's just because of the aspect ratio of HD video being that way. I'm talking about a more severe crop. As if the lens suddenly zooms in from like 18mm to like 20 or 22mm or so. And if you're not seeing that, look around the menus to see if there are any options in any of the video settings that would cause that effect.

It is possible that some lenses will provide much better OSS for video that others. The 18-55 *sucks* at it! It's almost pointless for video. The 18-105 is probably much better because it seems more like a video lens, because it's marketed for use on those big pro video cameras they sell, and it has power zoom. So, chances are that the mechanics are such that it can move the image around a *lot* more. But that's a costly lens! It's like $600+! Why can I not have decent practical family use and have video come out at least a bit stable, like I get from my A57...

Hopefully, my question won't be misunderstood and that we won't have to listen to endless lectures about OSS and IBIS and all that. I know about all of that....

ps. a possible solution I'm considering is... going to sound odd... I'm a programmer, and I'm considering making a media playback and imaging organizing app for Android, and I'm looking at the video play back APIs, and it *looks* like it might be possible to display each frame at a different position, if the frames can be run through open-gl related apis fast enough... so I have to write software to deshake video that Sony couldn't be bothered to digitally stabilize for us...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?

Grrr, also in NL (Amsterdam area), first in line according to the shop, and they said it's expected to come in around the 15th...

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

Sam Rijver
Like?
Re: Question about video stabilization
In reply to 123Mike, 8 months ago

I only see the steady shot option in the menu's. I'm not using much video so please forgive me for not being well versed in this subject. I did see a nice movie mode on the dial where you get to choose A/P/S/M mode for movies so that's nice. No special setting for Steadyshot, just the option to either have it on or off. Let me know if this helps. Otherwise please try an point me towards what to look for (terms, location) and I will do my best to find out what you need.

Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Pixelmator Chameleon +7 more
Sam Rijver
Like?
In reply to DimitriDV, 8 months ago

DimitriDV wrote:

Grrr, also in NL (Amsterdam area), first in line according to the shop, and they said it's expected to come in around the 15th...

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

Picked mine up in Amsterdam! Maybe give kamera express a call?

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,072Gear list
Like?
according the web site
In reply to DimitriDV, 8 months ago

DimitriDV wrote:

-- hide signature --

Amsterdam is having them in stock.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,836
Like?

123Mike wrote:

... I'm a programmer, and I'm considering making a media playback and imaging organizing app for Android, and I'm looking at the video play back APIs, and it *looks* like it might be possible to display each frame at a different position, if the frames can be run through open-gl related apis fast enough... so I have to write software to deshake video that Sony couldn't be bothered to digitally stabilize for us...

You know this capability already exists in many consumer level video editing programs, right?

123Mike
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, 8 months ago

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

... I'm a programmer, and I'm considering making a media playback and imaging organizing app for Android, and I'm looking at the video play back APIs, and it *looks* like it might be possible to display each frame at a different position, if the frames can be run through open-gl related apis fast enough... so I have to write software to deshake video that Sony couldn't be bothered to digitally stabilize for us...

You know this capability already exists in many consumer level video editing programs, right?

You know that not everyone uses these programs, right?

I want to not have to spend oodles of time editing video. I just want to copy the files to a USB drive, and then play it back using a media player in the living room. I wish media play back software has deshaking built in. In fact, I wish televisions had this feature built in. I could deshake all those purposely shaken tv shows. My wife likes to watch some of those shows, but I can't watch it, because the intentional (post process introduced) camera shake is unbearable.

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,779Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

I want to not have to spend oodles of time editing video. I just want to copy the files to a USB drive, and then play it back using a media player in the living room. I wish media play back software has deshaking built in. In fact, I wish televisions had this feature built in. I could deshake all those purposely shaken tv shows. My wife likes to watch some of those shows, but I can't watch it, because the intentional (post process introduced) camera shake is unbearable.

My Samsung NX30 has DIS (digital image stabilization) for video which can be enabled separately, haven't tried it though.

I imagine more and more devices will add it. I like it for video since it doesn't add audible noise like a sensor or lens based stabilization can.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to viking79, 8 months ago

viking79 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

My Samsung NX30 has DIS (digital image stabilization) for video which can be enabled separately, haven't tried it though.

I imagine more and more devices will add it. I like it for video since it doesn't add audible noise like a sensor or lens based stabilization can.

E-mount lenses don't produce any noises. The issue is that OSS lenses can't deshake the video like digital does. It's possible that the 18-55 just *really* sucks at it, and that something like the 18-105 *is* good at it, but $600 good grief. With the A33 I always had to do stuff to the video before showing it in the living room. With the A57 I didn't have to. It looks like with the A6000 it's going to need fidgeting with video again. Disappointed.

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,836
Like?

123Mike wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

As that isn't an answer, I suppose I should take it as a yes.

I want to not have to spend oodles of time editing video. I just want to copy the files to a USB drive, and then play it back using a media player in the living room.

Editing isn't necessary. Render a clip one time using stabilizer software, go do something else while that happens, then enjoy the result - assuming the stabilization process works well (which often is not the case, depending on the severity of shake). There are limits to what can be expected. You might want to at least give such tools a trial run to see what you're in for when developing your own version.

I wish media play back software has deshaking built in. In fact, I wish televisions had this feature built in.

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride,
If turnips were swords I’d have one by my side.
If ‘ifs’ and ‘ands’ were pots and pans
There would be no need for tinker’s hands!

I suspect effective real-time PLAYBACK image stabilization is a ways off yet. Our TVs do not have input from a moving camera to know what to shift.

I could deshake all those purposely shaken tv shows. My wife likes to watch some of those shows, but I can't watch it, because the intentional (post process introduced) camera shake is unbearable.

Let me know when you have a product to do it, and I'll buy one. Many TV shows and movies are completely off my viewing list for that exact reason.

123Mike
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, 8 months ago

It doesn't fit in with my workflow. Perhaps that's an answer you can accept.

123Mike
Like?
Question about battery compatibility

Question 2: do cheap aftermarket batteries work with it? I've used cheap batteries on the A33 and A57 in the past, with mixed results, but it did the trick! But I'm seeing that some batteries don't work with the NEX-7 specifically. Even the more sophisticated Upstart battery says it can't be used with NEX-7. My guess is that this is the same with the A6000.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

E-mount lenses don't produce any noises. The issue is that OSS lenses can't deshake the video like digital does. It's possible that the 18-55 just *really* sucks at it, and that something like the 18-105 *is* good at it, but $600 good grief. With the A33 I always had to do stuff to the video before showing it in the living room. With the A57 I didn't have to. It looks like with the A6000 it's going to need fidgeting with video again. Disappointed.

I believe RX10 is your best bet for video.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Sam Rijver
Like?
Re: Question about battery compatibility

123Mike wrote:

Question 2: do cheap aftermarket batteries work with it? I've used cheap batteries on the A33 and A57 in the past, with mixed results, but it did the trick! But I'm seeing that some batteries don't work with the NEX-7 specifically. Even the more sophisticated Upstart battery says it can't be used with NEX-7. My guess is that this is the same with the A6000.

Mine came empty so I did use my cheap off brand battery and it looks to be working just fine. Can't really say anything about number of shots yet but seemed a little worse compared to my nex 6. Going out in a few to bike around and see if something stands out for a photograph, will take my second aftermarket battery with me to test that one out too.

RobDJW
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?

I was quite surprised when my camera store contacted me this morning that they had an A6000 with my name on it. I didn't think it would be available till at least the 15th of this month.

I really just picked it up and haven't had time to play with it too much. The autofocus does seem to be improved a lot. I'm kind of disappointed by the 'feel' of the system, it feel a little less premium compared to my NEX 6, at least in my hand. Maybe I just expected the metallic looking bits to feel cool instead of like painted plastics ;). I was so used to my NEX 6 menu's that I need to take some time to get familiar with these, lol!

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out in your decision when considering purchasing this camera. I'm happy to do what I can posting images, explanations and others thing regarding this camera. I will go out and shoot some pics later today.

O I'm in the Netherlands, for those wondering where this camera showed up in stock.

I had it a week ago, and my impression is that it is great. Af is so much better then the nex6 that i really can't believe you don't notice that. Even my 50mm Sony is like a totally different lens.
Greetings Rob.

RobDJW's gear list:RobDJW's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Nikon Coolpix A +1 more
RobDJW
Like?
Re: according the web site
In reply to Marti58, 8 months ago

DimitriDV wrote:

-- hide signature --

Amsterdam is having them in stock.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Cameranu had it a week ago.

Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Nikon Coolpix A +1 more
RobDJW
Like?

Yep, they work.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,632Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

I'd get the Wasabi battery. Good reviews where the others are not.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-SLT-A55V-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX10/dp/B0049WBZEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396460324&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+nex6

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads