sold my ff gear..what next ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,672Gear list
Like?
Wouldn't we all?
In reply to Tommot1965, 3 months ago

Tommot1965 wrote:

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
Re: sold my ff gear..what next ?

If I were to sell my all my FF,  I wouldn't buy anything; I would not even use my wife's Canon P&S that she took this photo with while telling me not to buy any more equipment.…I can't part with these, they're are the only weights I lift at my age.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,866Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 3 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

Why would anyone want a camera you need to use on a tripod to exploit its full resolution?

Apparently some people like tripods..!

I consider them the most over-used and least useful item of equipment you can own but that's not a common view.

The only time I use my tripod is for long exposures, water falls ect. I can shoot at 6400 ISO with clear images in cropped mode and out shoot any other mirrorless camera out there. Period.

I can shoot low light sports at 8000 ISO no tripod there either.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,421
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

well I did it..Ive sold off all my ff gear..all my F2.8 glass and flashes.

Im now camera vacant..ive not as much time to do "photography" as I once did..i've house renos and a new one to build on a vacant block next door..plus I also bought a bowrider to have some summer fun in.

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

if you were in my position..what camera would you buy..out of the many out there...not just the EM1 or Xt1

Go back to Square One.  Get a Canon S110 point and shoot, take pics with it extensively and make notes about what you wish it did.  Who knows, maybe you're just a snapshooter now and it will be enough.

Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 3 months ago

the x100s is now a front runner..I like leaf shutter and high flash sync speeds that it brings to the party..plus the inbuilt 3 stop ND filter...my only concern is the fixed 28mm lens ( 35mm on ff)...not really a people portrait lens ..im concerned it will distort people's features too much for a decent head and shoulders image  ?

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,421
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

the x100s is now a front runner..I like leaf shutter and high flash sync speeds that it brings to the party..plus the inbuilt 3 stop ND filter...my only concern is the fixed 28mm lens ( 35mm on ff)...not really a people portrait lens ..im concerned it will distort people's features too much for a decent head and shoulders image ?

Opting at this point for a fixed lens seems like a real step backwards.  Maybe it's what your inner photographer has been lusting for all this time "and look, Martha, only one focal length!  How cool and liberating!!" but it would drive me nuts.  Lots of choices out there with at least a 3x optical zoom.

Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162Gear list
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

the x100s is now a front runner..I like leaf shutter and high flash sync speeds that it brings to the party..plus the inbuilt 3 stop ND filter...my only concern is the fixed 28mm lens ( 35mm on ff)...not really a people portrait lens ..im concerned it will distort people's features too much for a decent head and shoulders image ?

x100s is awesome.

• leaf shutter and super fast flash sync in daylight for fill. Most folks don't get this but it's great
  • ND filter, as you said, let's you shoot at F2 or 2.8 in bright sun for shallow DOF if desired
  • Macro mode is pretty darn good and beats not having it
  • Manual focus peaking is really nice

Drawbacks

• IQ is great though soft at F2.( F2.8 and up are great)
  • AF is not as fast as DSLR, but perfectly fine

I personally don't find a problem of distortion as a 35mm equiv. I will try to share a couple images later (not on my main PC at moment).

Note: it's a 23mm lens, not 28... and they have two add on lenses that turn it into a  28 and 50mm FF equiv but not sure if the 50 is out yet.  So that's an option to explore.

It's in my coat pocket, briefcase or backpack all the time.

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 3 months ago

to be honest anything less than the D800 that I owned with the trinity of F2.8 glass and 50mm1.8 prime is a step backwards....but now my photography is taking a backseat to all the other things in my life right now I could get used to a much simpler set up ..it doesn't get much simpler than a fixed lens I guess...but yes a zoom would be helpful.

just been looking through flicker at sample x100s images..it does look like a tight ii camera head shot will give me the land of big noses and ears..so perhaps this isnt the camera for me...

toomanycanons wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

Opting at this point for a fixed lens seems like a real step backwards. Maybe it's what your inner photographer has been lusting for all this time "and look, Martha, only one focal length! How cool and liberating!!" but it would drive me nuts. Lots of choices out there with at least a 3x optical zoom.

Cogset
Like?
x100s macros
In reply to Cogset, 3 months ago
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Cogset
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

to be honest anything less than the D800 that I owned with the trinity of F2.8 glass and 50mm1.8 prime is a step backwards....but now my photography is taking a backseat to all the other things in my life right now I could get used to a much simpler set up ..it doesn't get much simpler than a fixed lens I guess...but yes a zoom would be helpful.

just been looking through flicker at sample x100s images..it does look like a tight ii camera head shot will give me the land of big noses and ears..so perhaps this isnt the camera for me...

toomanycanons wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

Opting at this point for a fixed lens seems like a real step backwards. Maybe it's what your inner photographer has been lusting for all this time "and look, Martha, only one focal length! How cool and liberating!!" but it would drive me nuts. Lots of choices out there with at least a 3x optical zoom.

Fuji announced a 50mm equiv lens adapter, the 28mm (wider conversion lens) is already available

http://www.adorama.com/IFJWCLX100SL.html

info on the not-yet-avail 50mm adapter http://www.fujirumors.com/image-of-a-new-tele-conversion-lens-for-your-x100s-50mm-equivalent/

-- hide signature --
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,763Gear list
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

Im now camera vacant..ive not as much time to do "photography" as I once did..i've house renos and a new one to build on a vacant block next door..plus I also bought a bowrider to have some summer fun in.

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

if you were in my position..what camera would you buy..out of the many out there...not just the EM1 or Xt1

You are spoiled for choice. I have always had a Nikon DX system but I also use compact cameras. I use the DX for photography days otherwise I carry a small compact Fuji or Canon at all times. The Fuji F900 has DSLR like DR and a 25-500 zoom and Canon S120 has good enough IQ in a tiny package. Use cameras like these as everyday walkabouts while you are going about your day and whole new areas of photography present themselves from documenting work, to recording information, to impromptu videos of things that happen and so on. All the while keep a decent camera system at home for more serious and deliberate photography, if not a D610 then perhaps a Fuji or Sony system or even an X100 the coolest camera on the planet. The new Canon G1X compact looks damn interesting as well, big sensor, great zoom, decent aperture, add on EVF and a tiny package, whats not to like?

The thing about everyday compacts is that they are so cheap they are almost disposable and you can easily own a couple of them such as the Canon S120 and Fuji F900 and take the one that suites the day best. F900 for bright sunny conditions or where there will be long zooming such as on a jog or walk looking for birds or planes or the moon, for the daily grind of documenting and recording stuff, use the S120.

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

Fortunately, you still think like a good Nikonian!

So, what to do... you could always go over to Leica for reassurance about how good your Nikon gear was

Seriously, I support the X100s as a great, small all-rounder; just perfect for street and "sneaky" shots of renovation contractors if the WA is wide enough for you.

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?
Perhaps a Df with compact prime lenses?

I am not sure I would want to abandon FX. I have been using some compact prime lenses on Canon 5D and Nikon D700 bodies; a 40mm 2.8 STM "pancake" on the former, and a Voigtlander 90mm SL II f/3.5 on the latter. The very compact Voigtlander 40mm and 20mm lenses, and somewhat less compact 58mm lens, are now high on my "road map."

Small lenses really do change the size/weight/balance/handiness equation. The Df is, relatively, compact. I can foresee acquiring "his-and-hers" Df bodies, perhaps in 2015.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with an EF-S 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L, make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,999Gear list
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

I'd buy the RX1R, the RX100 II, and probably the E-M1 ;-)! A Nikon V2, and the coming 70-300, would be the icing on the cake! All light and very capable:

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads