sold my ff gear..what next ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
artwalaszek
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: sold my ff gear..what next ?
In reply to Tommot1965, 5 months ago

Ricoh GR - outstanding quality in a small body, easy to always have with you, ergonomics nearly perfect. My photos taken with it are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walaszek/sets/72157636974508114/

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723
Like?

My light system is the Nikon D3200 with some DX Nikkor lenses (the latest would be the D3300) ... I have always in the trunk of the car the Nikon1 J1 + 10~30 & 30~110 (the latest would be the V3) ...  and my lightest kit is the Coolpix S700 in the shirt pocket (the latest would be the Nikon Coolpix S9700).

-- hide signature --

Regards.

RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, 5 months ago

Why would anyone want a camera you need to use on a tripod to exploit its full resolution?

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,837
Like?

May be just shoot with the phone camera and call it a day?

ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
DF with primes

Tommot1965 wrote:

well I did it..Ive sold off all my ff gear..all my F2.8 glass and flashes.

Im now camera vacant..ive not as much time to do "photography" as I once did..i've house renos and a new one to build on a vacant block next door..plus I also bought a bowrider to have some summer fun in.

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

if you were in my position..what camera would you buy..out of the many out there...not just the EM1 or Xt1

Buy a Nikon DF and use it with primes only, up to 85mm focal length. The EM1 and XT1 are no alternatives as far as IQ is concerned, except a bit for size and weight (though e.g. a EM1 with the new f1.2 42.5 weights almost as much as the DF with the 1.8 85mm G). If you really want light and high IQ, buy a Ricoh GR and Sony RX1. If zooms are your thing, EM1 plus the Pansonices 12-35 & 35-100mm are ok. But you will miss the FF IQ.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill RX100 III Leica M9 +1 more
ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: sold my ff gear..what next ? beautiful
In reply to artwalaszek, 5 months ago

artwalaszek wrote:

Ricoh GR - outstanding quality in a small body, easy to always have with you, ergonomics nearly perfect. My photos taken with it are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walaszek/sets/72157636974508114/

-- hide signature --

I have seen some great stuff on flickr with the GH4's etc and your gallery has some fantastic stuff.

This one is beautiful, will take more time to peruse later.

Thanks for sharing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walaszek/11280454726/in/set-72157636974508114

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

GearGuru
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-E2 or X-T1

The Fuji system is great and image quality is great, and the lenses are better built than Nikons. Either one of these cameras works really well. If I did not need the handling of the bigger Nikons for paid commercial assignments, I would use the Fuji's only. The Fuji colors and ergonomics and design philosophy are top notch.

GearGuru's gear list:GearGuru's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +21 more
artwalaszek
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: sold my ff gear..what next ? beautiful
In reply to ImageAmateur, 5 months ago

Thank you for the kind words.

Art

-- hide signature --
Matsu
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?
...what next ? Give up photography

you now have other toys to occupy your time.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,672
Like?
I would cry.

Tommot1965 wrote:

if you were in my position..what camera would you buy..out of the many out there...not just the EM1 or Xt1

I would cry because I was stupid because I listened to the mirrorless shrills (yes shrills not shills) on this site and sold the best gear money can buy for the average person.

The good news ia smart deserving photographer got some good gear for a low price.

Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,740
Like?
Re: x100s
In reply to rayman 2, 5 months ago

rayman 2 wrote:

aut0maticdan wrote:

seriously. Just try it for a while and wait to see if they do an xpro-2. Don't go that route just to buy a bunch of new zooms and such. You'll end up right back where you were. KISS

What speaks against the x100s is the slow zoom and

you are fixed to one focal length.....which the Alpha 6000 is not !

Eh? I guess since you have to use your feet to zoom with, it would be considered a Slow Zoom. Perhaps you meant to say, slow autofocus?

Your excitement about the latest Sony offering is clouding your mind... take several deep breaths and focus your mind on infinity for a few minutes to clear your head...

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

burnymeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
Try this on for size.

I was lured by the D800e along with the "trinity" of f/2.8's a few years ago. While the IQ of the system was great, the size and weight kept me from enjoying it.

Go with a Panasonic GM1 and some tiny m43 primes like the 12mm f/2, 15mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8. Even if you only use this as a secondary system, you'll find yourself having more fun than you though possible with a "half frame" system...

-- hide signature --

Vern Dewit
Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.explor8ion.com
http://verndewit.com/

burnymeister's gear list:burnymeister's gear list
Sony RX1R RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
FujLiver
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
Wrong forum

Tommot1965 wrote:

Im now camera vacant..ive not as much time to do "photography" as I once did..i've house renos and a new one to build on a vacant block next door..plus I also bought a bowrider to have some summer fun in.

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

Once FF, always FF
Play around with an X-E1, cheap and Same IQ as T1.
Then realise you want to come back
Buy a Df, 35mm f1.8G, 50mmf1.8G, 28mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8g. Only take one lens with you when you go out.
Super light
Super quality
Good value
Done

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 +3 more
ImageAmateur
Like?
Re: Wrong forum good suggestion for OP
In reply to FujLiver, 5 months ago

FujLiver wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

Once FF, always FF
Play around with an X-E1, cheap and Same IQ as T1.
Then realise you want to come back
Buy a Df, 35mm f1.8G, 50mmf1.8G, 28mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8g. Only take one lens with you when you go out.
Super light
Super quality
Good value
Done

That is a fair suggestion, albeit expensive. But considering that the Leica 35mm rangefinder seems to have been a favorite of the older famed photographers, the Df and a 35mm lens could prove enjoyable. (I am one of those who prefers the 35mm to 42mm focal length for FF *normal* perspective).

Could start with just the one 35mm lens and IF any more needed later on, buy then.

But, it is more expensive then say the Pentax K-3 or Panasonic or Olympus OM-D options.

Also, if it going to be knocked around a bit, a K-3 and a similar FL prime or Pana G series or Oly OM-D might be less of a loss if it gets harmed on the job.. easier to replace $$$ wise.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, 5 months ago

Mr Gadget wrote:

rayman 2 wrote:

aut0maticdan wrote:

seriously. Just try it for a while and wait to see if they do an xpro-2. Don't go that route just to buy a bunch of new zooms and such. You'll end up right back where you were. KISS

What speaks against the x100s is the slow zoom and

you are fixed to one focal length.....which the Alpha 6000 is not !

Eh? I guess since you have to use your feet to zoom with, it would be considered a Slow Zoom. Perhaps you meant to say, slow autofocus?

Your excitement about the latest Sony offering is clouding your mind... take several deep breaths and focus your mind on infinity for a few minutes to clear your head...

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

yes I meant AF not zoom ! Sorry for that glitsch.. but no the Sony is not clouding

my mind.......its the first camera with that kind of AF performance for that kind of money..

I own a lot of cameras and I like them all but I see when a product is a game changer..

and the Sony is one of them.....

just like the d700 was and the d800E which brought MF digital quality down to 3000 $ level...

and the GH4 4K down to 1500 $....

Peter

ImageAmateur
Like?
In reply to rayman 2, 5 months ago

rayman 2 wrote:

yes I meant AF not zoom ! Sorry for that glitsch.. but no the Sony is not clouding

my mind.......its the first camera with that kind of AF performance for that kind of money..

I own a lot of cameras and I like them all but I see when a product is a game changer..

just like the d700 was and the d800E which brought MF digital quality down to 3000 $ level...

Peter

Interesting, I better read the specs and reviews now, you are the second person (the other has also posted sensible thoughts in many previous posts, so I consider his judgement sound also, so both of you seem to have come to a considered and balanced conclusion) on these forums to have been saying the same thing in the last day or so re that Sony...

see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53430669

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203
Like?
In reply to ImageAmateur, 5 months ago

ImageAmateur wrote:

rayman 2 wrote:

Peter

Interesting, I better read the specs and reviews now, you are the second person (the other also has also posted sensible thoughts in many previous posts, so I consider his judgement sound) on these forums to have been saying the same thing in the last day or so re that Sony...

;-

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

the kit lens is small with that camera and gives you good enough quality for many uses

but if you need higher IQ get the 16-70mm Zeiss that is realy good.. better then some

of those Nikon zooms and much smaller..

the 24 Zeiss is also very good.....

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,700Gear list
Like?
In reply to RichRMA, 5 months ago

RichRMA wrote:

Why would anyone want a camera you need to use on a tripod to exploit its full resolution?

Apparently some people like tripods..!

I consider them the most over-used and least useful item of equipment you can own but that's not a common view.

Wah Chan
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 or X-T1
In reply to GearGuru, 5 months ago

GearGuru wrote:

The Fuji system is great and image quality is great, and the lenses are better built than Nikons. Either one of these cameras works really well. If I did not need the handling of the bigger Nikons for paid commercial assignments, I would use the Fuji's only. The Fuji colors and ergonomics and design philosophy are top notch.

Yes, I love my Fuji !!!!  I used 85 % more than my Nikon DSLR cameras.

The Fuji XT-1 improves a ton of refinements to date .I owned an XE-1 prior to this, and liked it a lot Simply a fantastic camera, one of the best of Fuji X system. The Fuji Xt-1  Camera with the 18-55 mm kit lens as an alternative to a big SLR for walk-around travel photography.This camera exceeds my expectations.

This is the camera takes great pictures, accompanies high quality interchangeable lenses and reasonable on price. It's not a sports action camera, and it won't totally replace my full frame DSLR Nikon D800,D700, D3s for most professional photography. But there is just something about it that makes me want to go out and shoot with my family and friends and other slower paced photography.

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,672
Like?
Really?
In reply to burnymeister, 5 months ago

burnymeister wrote:

I was lured by the D800e along with the "trinity" of f/2.8's a few years ago. While the IQ of the system was great, the size and weight kept me from enjoying it.

Go with a Panasonic GM1 and some tiny m43 primes like the 12mm f/2, 15mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8. Even if you only use this as a secondary system, you'll find yourself having more fun than you though possible with a "half frame" system...

-- hide signature --

Vern Dewit
Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.explor8ion.com
http://verndewit.com/

Kind of crazy if you ask me. I seen all the things you have used, now you went with the half frame, gave up the D800 and the big 2.8 zooms and now shoot primes on the half frame system and now you are in love with the sony FF. Back to FF but with manual lenses.

You seem like a gear head that cannot stay with anything for long. I would recommend any gear head that has money to burn can cannot make up his mind to listen to your recommondations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads