sold my ff gear..what next ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 886
Like?
sold my ff gear..what next ?
3 months ago

well I did it..Ive sold off all my ff gear..all my F2.8 glass and flashes.

Im now camera vacant..ive not as much time to do "photography" as I once did..i've house renos and a new one to build on a vacant block next door..plus I also bought a bowrider to have some summer fun in.

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality  ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

if you were in my position..what camera would you buy..out of the many out there...not just the EM1 or Xt1

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?
Re: sold my ff gear..what next ?
In reply to Tommot1965, 3 months ago

Tommot1965 wrote:

Im now camera vacant..ive not as much time to do "photography" as I once did..i've house renos and a new one to build on a vacant block next door..plus I also bought a bowrider to have some summer fun in.

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

if you were in my position..what camera would you buy..out of the many out there...not just the EM1 or Xt1

I'd stop posting in the Nikon FF forum and ask this question in the forum for the cameras you seem to be interested in...

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656Gear list
Like?
Easy...d610!
No text.
 paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,741
Like?
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,819
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

I would still like a good camera...but must be light and easy to walk about with but also have good image quality ..I've looked at the EM1 and XT1

Do you own a smart phone with camera?

Michel

-- hide signature --

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Tommot1965
Like?
In reply to jjnik, 3 months ago

The reason I ask here is because you blokes know what I've given up...so if you was in my boat what would you buy ?

jjnik wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

I'd stop posting in the Nikon FF forum and ask this question in the forum for the cameras you seem to be interested in...

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?

By mentioning two cameras which are CSC (i.e. Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Fuji X-T1), I presume you are searching to buy into a system camera with interchangeable lenses but just not so heavy as FF, no?

The Sony A7/R are still FF but are relatively smaller, lighter, and more compact system. I don't have personal experience with them but expert reviews are mostly positive.

I can tell you personally that when not shooting for clients, I gravitate towards the Fuji X100S. It has a 16 MP APS-C size sensor with fixed 35 mm lens equivalent.  If you still prefer to look through an OVF, it has a hybrid OVF/EVF with tons of dials for manual exposure control in a retro-style form factor.

Good luck with your decision.

Tommot1965
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, 3 months ago

LMAO..I do but its crap mate ..id want something a bit better than that

M Lammerse wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

Do you own a smart phone with camera?

Michel

-- hide signature --

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Tommot1965
Like?
In reply to reginalddwight, 3 months ago

good suggestion..I did always like the look of the X100 and its portability ...yes I was kinda looking at ICL systems but ill give the x100s some thought mateĀ 

reginalddwight wrote:

By mentioning two cameras which are CSC (i.e. Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Fuji X-T1), I presume you are searching to buy into a system camera with interchangeable lenses but just not so heavy as FF, no?

The Sony A7/R are still FF but are relatively smaller, lighter, and more compact system. I don't have personal experience with them but expert reviews are mostly positive.

I can tell you personally that when not shooting for clients, I gravitate towards the Fuji X100S. It has a 16 MP APS-C size sensor with fixed 35 mm lens equivalent. If you still prefer to look through an OVF, it has a hybrid OVF/EVF with tons of dials for manual exposure control in a retro-style form factor.

Good luck with your decision.

Tommot1965
Like?
In reply to DezM, 3 months ago

good link..cheers

DezM wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

-- hide signature --
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

The reason I ask here is because you blokes know what I've given up...so if you was in my boat what would you buy ?

I wouldn't give up my FF gear, so really have no idea? Maybe a Canon G1X MkII?  You didn't say if you wanted interchangeable lenses - so not sure what you really want?  But there is no "free lunch" so IQ will be a step down as you move away from FF, esp in low light.

jjnik wrote:

Tommot1965 wrote:

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
ChapelThrill23
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?

The Sony NEX series is very capable and compact. I have an older NEX 5n and it is a fantastic companion on trips.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?

Leica M

Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222Gear list
Like?
RX1/R (n/t)
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

I did the same a while back. Sold my D4 and all lenses, flash, etc.

I went with a Sony RX1 and ordered a Leica M 240 and several lenses. My goal was a smaller high quality kit.

I cancelled the Leica kit order after waiting and experimenting with an M9 and realizing an all MF kit wasn't for me. The rangefinder is too limiting for my use and the EVF terrible compared to Olympus, Fuji, and Sony options. I would like to see a high quality and innovative RF/EVF hybrid from Leica.

The RX1 is a great size, has great build quality, and offers world class image quality. The EVF implementation is not ideal (press fit attachment, weak articulating joint, increases camera size quite a bit). The AF performance and overall operational speed isn't good enough for me after using a D4 for so long. The MF options with peaking and zoom are cumbersome for me and I would prefer a higher resolution EVF combined with a rangefinder. I still have and use this camera.

After experimenting with smaller kits and looking at Fuji (XPro-1, XT-1), Olympus (EM1), Leica (M240), and Sony (RX1, A7R), I ended up with a D4s, 14-24/2.8, 58/1.4, and 105 Micro. The compromises with the smaller kits were just too much for me. I will continue to evaluate my options going forward. I suggest you look at each of those options , try them out, and decide if a setup offers what you're looking for.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585
Like?

Of the current option, the olly and fuji are looking good. The only concern I'd have is lag, so would look into that carefully. My current feeling with no real research is that mirrorless is still a generation away from satisfying my needs, but I'd be happily proved wrong.

My daughter has an x10, which I like a lot. I wouldn't rule out an x20. What I really like is that it is a compact with a real zoom lens feel, that is, you twiddle the ring round rather than press buttons to zoom. The sensor size is small, whether it is sufficient size depends on your output requirements.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,671
Like?
Not what you want to hear ...

Tommot1965 wrote:

... plain and simple ... Fujifilm X-T1!

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?

Tommot1965 wrote:

If I didn't need a camera for anything specific I'd probably be shooting with any of the cameras below-

Point and shoot- Olympus Stylus 1

Olympus EM10 or EM5 (*I don't like the new grip on the EM1)

Panasonic GH3 or GH4

Fuji XT1 with 56mm f1.2 and something else for video because Fuji video is really terrible.

Sony NEX A6000

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
In reply to jjnik, 3 months ago

I'd go ask over at the Micro Four Thirds forum. If you want a walkabout camera, that's a good place to check. My light system is the Lumix GH3 with the 12-35mm f/2.8 Panasonic lens. If you still want the feel of a good, beefy handgrip in a light system, the GH3 is a great choice. If you don't need weather proofing, the Lumix G6 is a terrific value.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Fotoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
try the EM1
In reply to arrr, 3 months ago

With the 12-40 2.8 pro and the 75 1.8. Add a speed light if you want. I have a D4, a D610, a ton of lenses, and a bunch of flash equipment. I use the Nikon stuff for paid work, and the EM1 for personal, but it is good enough that I have started to use it for various paid work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads