Best lens for the Zoo?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Superglue
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Best lens for the Zoo?
3 months ago

I am planning a trip to the zoo and I wanna travel light so I am wonder other than the 55-210mm I have what other lens would anyone suggest taking.

Superglue's gear list:Superglue's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Pentax Q NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +16 more
MJFinelli
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: Best lens for the Zoo?
In reply to Superglue, 3 months ago

What other lenses do you have?

18-200 would be best..

For sure take a smaller zoom to go with the 55-210.

I went to the zoo and only brought the 55-210 and missed a lot of close up shots.

MJFinelli's gear list:MJFinelli's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?

Which zoo? It would help to know a bit about the facilities.

I would suggest a fast lens as well for those indoor shots. Depending on the place, a wide angle as well.

If there is an aquarium definitely a fast lens is going to be needed

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Superglue
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jabba23, 3 months ago

I am going to the Atlanta Zoo and I have my lenses listed in my gear profile if  that helps.

Superglue's gear list:Superglue's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Pentax Q NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +16 more
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043Gear list
Like?

sigma 19

sony 35

55-210

should cover most of the shooting

for a zoo trip, i bring 100-400 or 70-400

but thats me

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Duskbat
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?

Took these with 18-200 lens and it was perfect for the zoo here. Gulf breeze zoo NW Florida.

nice bear

Duskbat's gear list:Duskbat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Apple iPhone 5s
Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,279
Like?
In reply to Duskbat, 3 months ago

Depends which Zoo. Here we have Safari Park so half is driven through and I use at least 400mm to get the roaming animals. Inside the zoo any lens will do so your 55-210 is fine. Have fun.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

clark321
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fredy Ross, 3 months ago

Last time I was  at  the zoo there was a pro there doing a promotion shoot and he was using a Canon 5D3 with a 400mm f2.8 prime attached. That seems to be the weapon of choice over here.

clark321's gear list:clark321's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 V1 A3000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Jurjen
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: Best targets in the Zoo?

For the best results my advise is to narrow your plan for 'a day in the zoo' Are you going on your own just to make pictures or are you taking a day out with (grand)children?

In the latter, forget about making serious pictures, enjoy your day with your company and take a snapshot cam to click on the unforgettable moments or great portraits of the kids with the animals:-) The NEX+ 18-55 will be great.

If you go on you own on a dedicated photo mission make a small choice of animals you want to shoot. Take your time to observe their behavior and decide how you are going to frame them. When you end up with one great shot of - lets say - a zebra your day is well spend! Otherwise you will end up with a ton of snapshots you will never look back on but had a great day in de zoo

Take a backpack include some sandwiches - don't wast your time in de que for the hotdog guy/ oh yea I'm Dutch - and take all your lenses + a tripod!

Whatever you do, enjoy the nice day out!

cheers

Jurjen

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jurjen
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man. -G.B. Shaw

Jurjen's gear list:Jurjen's gear list
Olympus E-30 Sony Alpha 7R Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +2 more
kenetik
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?

Superglue wrote:

I am planning a trip to the zoo and I wanna travel light so I am wonder other than the 55-210mm I have what other lens would anyone suggest taking.

one of the things about E Mount versus A Mount is the lack of native super-Tele options.  I had the Tamron 200-500 for my a65 and it was amazing at the zoo (example below).  I took that lens and the Sigma 85 1.4 for closer and indoor shots to the DC zoo and loved it.

I did use the Tamron some on the Nex 5 with the LA-EA2 and it was pretty good, even without stabilization handheld.  I did take the 55-210 to the Phoenix zoo as well, and it gave me good shots on my Nex 3n.  it got me close enough in most cases.

a65 and Tamron 200-500 @500mm

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,138Gear list
Like?
Sony 70-400mm G2 with LA-EA4

Sony 70-400mm G2 with LA-EA4, but since that isn't realistic for many because of the cost and or size:

I generally take my mirrorless camera with 85mm f/1.4 and another that has been IR converted with a 20-50mm. The 85mm covers most of my moderate tele needs (easily equivalent to the 200mm end of an 18-200mm if I crop the 85) and works great indoors as well. I have other lenses I use as well, but those two most of the time.

Sony doesn't have an 85mm f/1.4 or 1.8 yet, but one should be coming soon. Otherwise, I agree, an 18-200mm is a good only lens solution, and maybe have a 50mm f/1.8 for indoors or something. Another good set would be Sigma 2.8 trio.

Really, any lens will work. I find the style of zoo pictures I take depends on what lenses I take with me.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?

This seems a good place to ask:  Any hope of an FE tele-convertor, 1.4x & 2.0x?

-- hide signature --
 Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 3 months ago

EthanP99 wrote:

sigma 19

sony 35

55-210

should cover most of the shooting

for a zoo trip, i bring 100-400 or 70-400

but thats me

I second this one unless you intend to buy more lenses

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,473Gear list
Like?

I assume you are going to enjoy the animals rather than as a professional zoo photographer?

I generally bring, a flash.  A wireless flash or a cord is very valuable.

The 55-210mm is the lens you need, unless you need something else.

18-55mm

55-210mm

That covers a lot of ground.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads