Lightroom 5 question?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,781Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 question?
In reply to Jere Landis, 8 months ago

As I understand them, presets are parameter "tweaks" to accommodate a unique camera, really the camera's sensor and processing engine. Look at a camera preset and you'll see dozens and dozens of settings. In sum, they get you "in the ballpark" prior to tweaking a given image from a set. We're talking contrast, noise reduction, sharpening, color balance...on and on. It's a very helpful first step but generally doesn't provide a polished final image edit.

Let's say you upload five hundred shots, with preset applied, and 123 were taken at an ourdoor event. You then edit one of those to your satisfaction, save those settings and apply them to the other 122. HUGE time saver. Repeat the process with the next group, etc.

There's much, much, much more, but it's important to understand the LR framework.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JLTaylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850
Like?
Re: Lightroom vs/with Photoshop

It a common expression used by designers - who are asked to add multiple complex features to products, but also make them easy to use.  It was against my better judgement to put it in any kind of posting on the internet, ignore it.

The reason I posted was to answer your questions about lightroom, and anticipate questions about why Lightroom editing has some limitations that Photoshop does not.

-- hide signature --
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,252Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, 8 months ago

Skeeterbytes wrote:

As I understand them, presets are parameter "tweaks" to accommodate a unique camera

You are referring to camera calibrations. Presets can be applied to any image from any camera.

Let's say you upload five hundred shots, with preset applied, and 123 were taken at an ourdoor event. You then edit one of those to your satisfaction, save those settings and apply them to the other 122. HUGE time saver. Repeat the process with the next group, etc.

This is correctl

The OP is correct. Presets have no intelligence that allows them to adapt to photos taken in different conditions, with different settings. Or with different cameras, unless the preset contains as part of it a camera calibration setting.

When I first learned how to use Lightroom I used only basic parts of its capabilities. As I became comfortable with them I gradually started using more advanced functionality, bit by bit.

If I had started with a program that was easier to learn initially, I would by now, no doubt, be at a point where that program no longer met my increasing demands. As a result, I would have to start over with a more advanced application.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702Gear list
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

Please explain what some of your increasing demands may have been, that Lightroom 5 provides and the easier to learn application would not. I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to decide if I really need Lightroom 5 or I do not. I do not shoot hundreds of photos at a time and I do not think I would use more than one third of what the program is capable of, at present time, or if I ever would.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Please explain what some of your increasing demands may have been, that Lightroom 5 provides and the easier to learn application would not.

You're asking the wrong guy. Lightroom is the only application that I've ever used for serious image editing so I'm not in a position to credibly compare it to other applications. I don't know what features they are missing, that I have always had.

I am a computer professional and use them day and night. It is my experience that full featured applications have a learning curve and easy to learn applications have limited functionality.

I use more of Lightrooms' features now than I ever imagined I would. I made the right choice for me. I can't tell you what the right choice is for you. I can tell you that watching some of the Julieanne Kost Lightroom video tutorials that I linked to earlier in this thread will aid your decision. Make a bowl of popcorn, sit back, and watch.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

I downloaded and am playing with it. Please, someone tell me how to get the program to process the file after I have made all the changes. How do I tell the program where to put it, or them, also. Most converters are pretty straight forward about these things. If this is the greatest, do all, end all, piece of software, why so difficult. Also, can you work directly from existing folders on your hard drive or do you have to import through some fancy dan system. I know I'm stupid, but that's the way it is. Any help here?

Yep. I've got several hard drives and move files around a lot, or to DVDs. I've found out how to do it with Lightrooms catalog etc. but find it very un-intuitive. So I use Aftershot Pro, it does pretty much the same as Lightroom, with non destructive edits, but it gives you the choice of keeping a very small automatically made XMP file (that holds multiple versions if you want) in the same folder as your Raw file, or you 'can' catalog it like in Lightroom. It maybe doesn't do some of the things like highlight recovery as well as Lightroom yet, but for lots of stuff it works pretty good. With Aftershot, once I got it figured out, it seemed much easier for me because of how I work...and it's pretty fast also on this old machine, which won't even run Lightroom 5 until the operating system is upgraded...

Started out with Lightroom 2X and haven't used it much at all. I've got a bunch of Raw editors, some of 'em work pretty well. It's just that me and Lightrooms file system don't seem to get along.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
The Joker: Why so serious?

Jere Landis
Like?

Map, book, and print I would never use. Please tell me about Web Gallery creation, is it something you use?

Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606Gear list
Like?

I haven't read all the other posts, but here's my answer:

If you do File->Export on an image (in Library, Develop, whatever) you get a dialogue. You can then set export options for JPEG, directory, etc. in that dialogue (scroll down). Then instead of exporting do "Add" in the lower left and make a preset for that, give it a sensible name (e.g. "JPEG_subdir_q60" is one of mine) then exit the dialogue. After that you can then select a big bunch of files (e.g. along the bottom in Develop, in Library, etc.) with shift and ctrl clicking, hit the Right Mouse Button on one of the selected files then choose Export->Your Preset from the menu and it'll do the lot. (You might want to apply a set of Develop settings to them first though, which you can also use a Preset for, or do one of the pics the way you want and copy/paste the settings to the rest, or even do them individually.)

Hope that helps...

John

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Map, book, and print I would never use. Please tell me about Web Gallery creation, is it something you use?

I'm not sure if you were asking me, but I don't.

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,781Gear list
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

I probably read "preset" and thought "profile." Ah well.

Auto tone can sometimes wrestle a varied image collection into a more cohesive set, but needs to be used with some anticipation that, for example, a properly exposed image of a dark subject will have its exposure cranked up too far.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?

I don't use Map, Book, or Print, I don't do HDR or composite photos, nor do I use the catalog feature and I still find LR very useful.

I chose LR mainly because it has such a wealth of educational resources. If you want to know how to do something, you can pretty much google the question and find the answer. I figured I would be an occasional user and didn't want to have to relearn each time.

And I didn't study the manual, although there is a great, great resource that will show you how to use every slider with a 5 minute example: Lightroom 4 Complete Video Training with Hal Schmitt  This is FREE.  It says you have to buy, but if you look, the cost is $0.00.  And it's for LR4, but much the same is in LR5.

What I did instead was find a lightroom tutorial on youtube by a photographer (not Kost - who is excellent!) how to make a landscape photo pop, and then I tried the same thing with one of mine.  I quickly learned how to do the changes I needed (mainly exposure, shadows, clarity, gradient, healing, leveling..).   And then I read more about those options to use them better and fine tune them a bit -- but only as I needed or wanted.

I now use LR's compare feature feature since I might take several photos of the same scene and need to decide which I think is better.

Here is my new favorite photo.   LR let me lighten some shadows, bring out the red of the japanese maple a bit more, dim the highlights where the sky might have been burned out.   Knowing me, I will look at it again in a couple months and decide I did it all wrong.  Or learn something new about LR and try it on this image.  And the beauty of it is that I can since the raw is intact.

Anyhow, the learning curve is not that bad.  Figuring out that "Export" was the same as "Save" was th hardest part for me!

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 8 months ago

Thanks for replies everyone, I'm probably going to buy it, but after I've exhausted my free trial. Almost everyone seems to think it's the bomb, so what the he--. I do not think Kosk is very good at the teaching though. She moves along too fast and assumes you already know much that you don't.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,517Gear list
Like?
You should pass.

Watching this topic progress, you are asking to be convinced about something that initially isn't appealing at all.   If you had take some time to chase down the resources provided, you wouldn't be still here asking to be convinced.   You'd have made your mind up to give it more time or just pass on it.

You say you don't want to be difficult, so don't.   You have enough info to investigate further and make up your own mind.  Give that a shot, or just drop it and move on, is my advice.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Jere Landis
Like?
Re: You should pass.
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

I said in a previous post that I intended to buy it after my free time had expired. Did you read that? I have since decided to buy it beforehand. The reason being, a poster directed me to a site that was super instructive, slow and very thorough. It goes step by step in little bites, thus giving me confidence that I can master it in a reasonable time. It was one of the later posts, had I given up earlier I would have missed it.

If there are future posts on the subject, I will read them and may become more enlightened. If this bothers you to a degree I am sorry, though you don't have to follow the thread.

jackkurtz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,294Gear list
Like?

http://lightroomkillertips.com

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom.html

http://www.gavingough.com/photo-workflow/

You can use your existing folder structure with Lightroom. But before you do make sure your filing system is logical.

You don't "Save" photos the way you do with Photoshop and most other image editing applications. You "Export" them from your LR catalog. The edits you make are applied to your photo as work. LR saves a history of every photo in its database.

LR is a very good image management and editing application, but there is a learning curve. You probably want to explore websites like LightroomKillerTips, the Adobe help files and books like Kelby's LR book or Gavin Gough's LR book to get the most out of it.

jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +7 more
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to jackkurtz, 8 months ago

Well I bought it and have found some good tutorials, not Adobe though. Thanks to all for information.

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606Gear list
Like?

Now Canon is providing Lightroom with some cameras they also provide a number of video tutorials:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/lightroom_5_modules_and_importing.do
Others are available such as:
http://laurashoe.com/lightroom-5-tutorials/

However I would also suggest watching Tony Northrup's videos (at 1080p, if you can) as he (or his other half) use Lightroom to tweak images sent to them for review and it's interesting to see what/how they do it. They are generally very sensible, well okay perhaps I should say they think a lot like me, which isn't quite the same thing, e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZKhdaulyE&list

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Harvey Melvin Richards
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

Well I bought it and have found some good tutorials, not Adobe though. Thanks to all for information.

What tutorials did you find to be the most helpful? I'm also a confused newbie.

Harvey Melvin Richards's gear list:Harvey Melvin Richards's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to Harvey Melvin Richards, 8 months ago

Lightroom 4 Complete Video Training with Hal Schmitt This is for Lightroom 4 but it is so thorough, a step by step process. Lightroom 5 is not that much different, so 95% of this applies. It is given in little bites four to six minutes at a time. There are a lot of them, so you may want to skip some to begin with and move around through them. Let me know what you think. It is free.

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 8 months ago

Thanks so much, I will use these links for sure. I really appreciate it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads