Lightroom 5 question?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 5 question?
8 months ago

I downloaded and am playing with it. Please, someone tell me how to get the program to process the file after I have made all the changes. How do I tell the program where to put it, or them, also. Most converters are pretty straight forward about these things. If this is the greatest, do all, end all, piece of software, why so difficult. Also, can you work directly from existing folders on your hard drive or do you have to import through some fancy dan system. I know I'm stupid, but that's the way it is. Any help here?

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Thomas Niemann
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,138
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 question?
In reply to Jere Landis, 8 months ago

In the Library module choose the Export button .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,800Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

I downloaded and am playing with it. Please, someone tell me how to get the program to process the file after I have made all the changes. How do I tell the program where to put it, or them, also. Most converters are pretty straight forward about these things. If this is the greatest, do all, end all, piece of software, why so difficult. Also, can you work directly from existing folders on your hard drive or do you have to import through some fancy dan system. I know I'm stupid, but that's the way it is. Any help here?

Lightroom does non-destructive edits. You can actually make virtual copies of images and apply different tweaks to each. The original image will NOT be affected!

So, if you want to save an edited image, you need to export it. Exporting is a bit convoluted and really the most annoying thing about it, but that's the way to do it. Just play around with the different options until you find the one you want.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
sparklite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Use the Export Feature...

You'll want to use the export feature to push out a JPEG you can email, print at a lab, or post online. To do this you'll need to use the "export" feature.

Right click on a photo to export (or in GRID view select a range of photos to export). Then right click on the selected image(s) and chose "Export..."

Go through each pane carefully here as you'll be able to specify where the files should be exported to, whether you want them resized, sharpened, etc. When you've got the settings you like click "ADD" to save them as an export preset. For example I have presets saved that auto-export to dropbox folders shared with friends and family; presets for instagram sizing; presets for full resolution images; and presets for my blog and portfolio.

Once you learn the export tools you'll love the power, flexibility and ease of use they provide.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 sparklite's gear list:sparklite's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,256Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

I downloaded and am playing with it. Please, someone tell me how to get the program to process the file after I have made all the changes. How do I tell the program where to put it, or them, also.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-exporting-images/

Julieanne Kost creates simply outstanding video tutorials. I've watched most of them and refer to them frequently when I forget how to do something.

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,527Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

I downloaded and am playing with it. Please, someone tell me how to get the program to process the file after I have made all the changes. How do I tell the program where to put it, or them, also. Most converters are pretty straight forward about these things. If this is the greatest, do all, end all, piece of software, why so difficult.

Because it's a different paradigm than you're used to.    You have good advice  already, suggesting you don't have to save anything until you want to put a copy somewhere.    The beauty of that is, you don't have to save extra 'assets' or versions for different purposes (not to be confused with Versions in LR), you only have to export, Publish, or print for uses other than on your computer.   Different can be confounding until the difference is grokked.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
KCK14
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?

RE: existing folders.  You can leave your pictures where they are.  You do need to Import them to the LR library.  Select ADD at the top of the import window.  It will keep your folder name and leave pictures in place.  This is the time to add keywords, apply presets etc.  The photos will now show up in LR ready to be edited.

Unlike PS or Elements, you do not need to do a SAVE step when you are done editing.  It is all saved as you do each step.  I will Export to JPEG only those pictures that I send to someone else.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,352Gear list
Like?
Here's a good explanation

Jere Landis wrote:

Start here:   Inside Lightroom

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,623
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 8 months ago

I downloaded and am playing with it. Please, someone tell me how to get the program to process the file after I have made all the changes. How do I tell the program where to put it, or them, also.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-exporting-images/

Julieanne Kost creates simply outstanding video tutorials. I've watched most of them and refer to them frequently when I forget how to do something.

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Absolutely. Start with the getting started set.

-- hide signature --
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's a good explanation
In reply to nevada5, 8 months ago

nevada5 wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Start here: Inside Lightroom

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

My underlined text:

Most of Adobe software are the standard of different industries: Illustration, Photography, Publishing, Web design, video and audio editing, portable documents etc, therefore they are very robust and full of options, or even redundant ways to achieve the same goals (Photoshop comes to mind), so they are not designed for the casual user, but once you get familiar with the interface, you'll appreciate how powerful tools they are. They have tried to minimize the learning curve by issuing "light or elements" versions of some of the programs, unfortunately Lightroom is not one of them.

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
DWM
DWM
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?

Lightroom is a pretty steep learning curve.  I've used Photoshop for a decade, but it took me until LR version 5 to finally give up my previous workflow.  The program is incredibly poweful, but it functions differently than normal photo editors.  All the edits are nondestructive on RAW files, but be darn sure you have a back-up of your LR catalog.  All the edits for every image live here (you can save the edits as an xmp sidecar file if you turn on this option, also).

I highly recommend CreativeLive.com for training courses.  They have a bunch for LR, and if you watch them live or on rebroadcast the sessions are free.  I've done several three day courses and now feel I have a very good grasp of LR.  It's worth the time for what you can get out of the program.

Best of luck.

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to DWM, 8 months ago

thanks all,

I judge from the comments that it is a fine program, yet a work in progress for most users. Probably few are able to take advantage of the entirety of it. I also assume it is not for anyone who cannot devote extended amounts of time to absorb it. I doubt the average owner of the program utilizes more than a percentage of it's capabilities. It is a fine piece of advanced software.

Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

thanks all,

I judge from the comments that it is a fine program, yet a work in progress for most users. Probably few are able to take advantage of the entirety of it. I also assume it is not for anyone who cannot devote extended amounts of time to absorb it. I doubt the average owner of the program utilizes more than a percentage of it's capabilities. It is a fine piece of advanced software.

Best software available for processing a lot of photos.

Touch ups - not so good though - for that I still use Photoshop.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,623
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

thanks all,

Lightroom is an application on the same order of sophistication as Photoshop. No one figures out the entirety of what they need to know in Photoshop in less than a month or two of extensive use. Same is true for Lightroom. On the other hand, anyone should be able to learn the basics of either in an afternoon's study, and a day or two of practice and experience with some guidance (using the videos by Julianne Kost or others) using either is all that's usually sufficient for someone to be comfortable enough to move forward quickly from that point on.

I used to teach Lightroom and Photoshop classes. I found that most motivated students learned them at the same rate, and unmotivated students for one or the other didn't learn them at all. Such it is.

I've been using Lightroom since the first public beta, sometime early in 2006 if I recall correctly. It works much as my personal workflow with Photoshop worked, automates a number of things I used to do manually and obviates making the many copies I used to make of work in progress. Lightroom and Photoshop handle complementary parts of the image processing workflow. The ongoing development of Lightroom has now reached the point where it handle 99% of what I need ... and I generally don't need 100% of all that it offers for some users. Of course, I never needed more than about 10% of what Photoshop can do since I'm a photographer, not a graphic artist. Now I need less than 2% of Photoshop for the real edge cases.

Even a hammer takes time and practice to learn to use well, and you rarely get image processing tools that are simpler than a hammer.

-- hide signature --
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,955Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

thanks all,

Think about a pencil. It's not too difficult to learn to use a pencil, but it takes a whole lot to be able to learn to use a pencil to produce a high quality fine art drawing. It takes a whole lot to be able to use anything to produce high quality fine art.

I regard LR as advanced because of the results you can achieve, not because it's hard to figure out how to use any of its controls. If nothing else, slide them back and forth and see what they do.

There are numerous excellent tutorials and books on using LR. The Julieanne Kost videos are well worth the time. For specific questions, google does its usual job, or post a question on any number of photo forums.

-- hide signature --
 richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
JLTaylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850
Like?
Re: Lightroom vs/with Photoshop

Lightroom does non destructive editing. Instead of changing the RAW or JPEG it saves editing instructions in a lLghtroom specific file.  This contains both the data management and edit instructions for photos in the catalog.

Lightroom  is very good at global editing that affect the entire photograph - white balance, tone curves, noise reduction. It is a bit awkward at localized edits like cloning. It does not edit at the pixel level - no masks.

If you need to do masking Lightroom will create a TIFF or JPEG, start Photoshop (or any other editor), and save the result in the catalog.  This will result in two files, which can be grouped together by Lightroom in a stack. Stacking can also be used for HDRs and panoramas to group multiple source files with the finished photo.

Lightroom has changed the way I edit. I use to use Nik Vivesa on most files. Now to save creating a second copy of the file in my database I use hhadows and Highlights instead.  Not as much control, but RAW converters have really improved in the last 5 years.  If it is a photo that I am going to print or put is a slideshow, or one that is especially difficult I will give it the full Photoshop/NIK treatment.

About 80% of my photos are left in RAW.

There is a bit of a learning curve to Lightroom, but once you understand the catalog, and how you want to arrange your photos (the most difficult part) it is easy to greatly improve your photos with a few sliders.

"Make a tool even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it". I hope that wasn't taken the wrong way, but any powerful photo editing tool  will take a while to learn.  An editing program that also has data management adds capability, but makes the learning curve a bit steeper.

-- hide signature --
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,258Gear list
Like?

Jere Landis wrote:

thanks all,

Seems to me that most casual downloaders of the free 30 day trial soon give up and go away. I bought Lightroom 3 on an inexpensive academic discount, but it ran too slow on my PC so I never got into it. None of my expertise with Photoshop Elements (PSE) was useful as the commands were all different. Noise reduction was not as effective either. I gave up.

One day, a wedding photographer showed me how he could zip thru a hundred RAW pictures in a few minutes, touching up the W/B and contrast with a preset on LR.

So I bought a new PC and also upgraded to LR4. I got the Kelby book from the library and managed to get thru most of it in the 2 week lending period. It is a commitment, but I consider myself an average user.

Fifteen years ago, it took me longer to pick up the rudiments of Photoshop 6, also with a book. That (and CS6) is a program where the photographer only uses 5% of its capabilities. Lightroom has far less capabilty, so it should be easier to get comfortable.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Jere Landis
Like?
Re: Lightroom vs/with Photoshop
In reply to JLTaylor, 8 months ago

Fool is a strong word, a little over kill as used here I believe. Then would all people who use Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge along with ACDSee to do all that they need to do be fools?? Before Lightroom 5 came along was everyone a fool? How about Silkypix users are they all fools. How about Aftershot Pro users, are they all fools? So any thing simple to use is for fools and Lightroom 5 is for the very bright software elite. I'm not sure, is this what you mean?

Jere Landis
Like?
In reply to baxters, 8 months ago

Forgive me, I could never understand how a preset would work oh hundreds of files when each could be different exposures, different lighting, and different white balance, in the original file. Please explain how this would work.

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to baxters, 8 months ago

baxters wrote:

Seems to me that most casual downloaders of the free 30 day trial soon give up and go away.

On what do you base this statement?

Seems to me you would need access to Adobe's list of email addresses that downloaded the trial. Then you would need to perform a survey, since they could subsequently purchase it from many sources.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads