Decision Made...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
1RichieB
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Decision Made...
3 months ago

After studying this forum, I have decided I will purchase the upgrade to the D800 when it comes out. I am a happy D300 owner, and I will happily use it until this time, but after 7 years it is time for a new camera and I am very satisfied with everything I hear about the D800. If Nikon is going to release an updated version this year, I will purchase it.

That being said, I have a 2.8 28-70 that is in excellent condition. Light use. I would say 9+ rating. It is very clean and free of "scuffs". How much should I sell it for?

I also have a 2.8 70-200 that is in very good condition. This is my most used lens. I have shot a decent amount of sporting events with it. It is also very clean and free of "scuffs". I would rate it an 8+ on usage. Note that it works "spot-on" with no signs of any problems.  I "baby" my equipment to the maximum extent possible (but accidents do happen). How much should I sell it for?

Onto another topic...

All this said, I am very impressed with what I have seen of the V2. I can't wait to see V3 results. However, I know this camera will not give me the results of an upgraded D800, but I may buy one for sporting events, etc. in great lighting.

Thanks for any replies, advice, etc.

1RichieB's gear list:1RichieB's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D70 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aut0maticdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?
Re: Decision Made...
In reply to 1RichieB, 3 months ago

I usually do a little research on the For Sale board here and on Fred Miranda. I also check recent sales on eBay and try to be competitive but not the cheapest. I take great care of my stuff as well.

Why are you dumping the lenses as well? Do you just want to get the latest versions?

I'm sure you'll love the d800. Even in DX mode it should outperform the D300.

aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1RichieB
Like?
In reply to aut0maticdan, 3 months ago

Thanks!

Yes, I want the latest version of the 70-200 2.8 to use with D800+.

I also would like to have a 14-24 2.8.

I think these are the lens I would use most with D-800+.

Just let me say the 28-70 2.8 is an amazing lens, but I lean more toward the 70-200 range, and I'm thinking I would like the wider angle if the 14-24. In these focal ranges I think they are equivalent to the 28-70.

Nikon D300 Nikon D70 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026
Like?

Being 7 yrs old is not a reason to upgrade a camera. Being unhappy with your camera is. But you say you are happy with your D300 so why bother? People will still judge you by your photo's rather than the age of your camera!

Also - If you do go FX the 28-70 will be ideal. If I were you I'd try it with my new FX before thinking of selling it off.

Always bare in mind: Whatever you don't spend on new gear you can spend on time off work+trips = more great photos!

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,677Gear list
Like?

I too have gone from D300 to D800e, though with a D700 in between.  (I still have all three cameras).

I also have a V1 and a V2, and 5 system 1 lenses, plus the FT-1 adapter.

I'm a bit mystified as to why you would get rid of a nice 28-70 when going from DX to FX.   Unless you were doing it to get the even-better 24-70.

I have the 70-200vr II also - brilliant lens on the D800e, but one that's pretty specialized to me.  (Event/people outdoors photography).

Of course if 70-200 is pretty much the shooting you do, then you should be very happy with one.  I'd want something wider...

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
1RichieB
Like?
In reply to Doss, 3 months ago

Doss wrote:

Being 7 yrs old is not a reason to upgrade a camera. Being unhappy with your camera is. But you say you are happy with your D300 so why bother? People will still judge you by your photo's rather than the age of your camera!

Also - If you do go FX the 28-70 will be ideal. If I were you I'd try it with my new FX before thinking of selling it off.

Always bare in mind: Whatever you don't spend on new gear you can spend on time off work+trips = more great photos!

Yes, I agree with you reasoning. I will keep D300 and continue to use it. It is a hobby though, and after 7 years I'm just ready for a new "toy" to play with.

The main reason to sell the 28-70 is to help fund a wider angle prime which I may use more often than the 28-70.  I still need to think about that one...

1RichieB
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 3 months ago

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I too have gone from D300 to D800e, though with a D700 in between. (I still have all three cameras).

I also have a V1 and a V2, and 5 system 1 lenses, plus the FT-1 adapter.

I'm a bit mystified as to why you would get rid of a nice 28-70 when going from DX to FX. Unless you were doing it to get the even-better 24-70.

I have the 70-200vr II also - brilliant lens on the D800e, but one that's pretty specialized to me. (Event/people outdoors photography).

Of course if 70-200 is pretty much the shooting you do, then you should be very happy with one. I'd want something wider...

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Yes, I spend most of my time shooting with the 70-200, so selling my current version is primarily to upgrade. When not shooting sports, I am thinking I want something wider than the 28-70, as then it always seems like I am shooting landscapes or "architecture".

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
There is a new D9300 rumor today...

-- hide signature --

Jason

jjoyce's gear list:jjoyce's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600
1RichieB
Like?
Re: There is a new D9300 rumor today...
In reply to jjoyce, 3 months ago

hey, that's okay! I had a great day with my D300. So, with spring approaching I'm fine for the moment. Anyway, choices are good!!!

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: There is a new D9300 rumor today...

Just trying to have some fun!

If you are looking at the N1 stuff, I have a V1 to go along with my D600.   (Sharing the battery is a great perk & kept me from buying a V2)    I sold all my DX stuff once I got the V1, really like it once I learned it's quirks.  The 6.7-1, 18.5 & new 10-100 are a awesome small travel/snap-shooting combo.  Also In good light it is a tough camera to beat for sports.

-- hide signature --

Jason

jjoyce's gear list:jjoyce's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads